Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

View Poll Results: Pay for an overhauled camera or hunt for a bargain
Yes, I would pay for an overhauled Rolleiflex 6 33.33%
No, I'd rather take my chances on finding a bargain 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Rolleiflex, Overhaul before sale or sell as is
Old 09-13-2017   #1
f16sunshine

Rolleiflex, Overhaul before sale or sell as is

Hi all
I have this automat v3 here now and a bit of a dilemma.
The camera is in Excellent condition yet due for an overhaul.
I don't plan to keep it as I've chosen a 2.8 model as my main TLR with a simple Yashica A as a second camera.
The Automat would make a really nice main Rollei for someone and so I plan to sell it.

The question is, should I get it overhauled first?
Rollei overhauls seem to be difficult to come by yet I'm lucky in having a factory trained technician living nearby (with a complete set of Rollei instruments) .
He has the 2.8 in at the moment. It would be very easy to drop of this automat for a complete service when I pick up the 2.8.
I would be doing the camera a service but would anyone pay for it?

It's very difficult to gauge what folks would pay for an overhauled automat. If it was an 2.8F it's a no brainer.
It's an uncoated jena tessar lens version. Highly desirable for some and just as overlooked by others.
The typical course for people seems to be, find a cheap camera.... send it in and wait months to have it overhauled.
How many of you would rather buy a completely overhauled camera for $500-600 ??
Or should I just sell it for the $250 I have into it and call it good.
Thoughts?

Old 09-13-2017   #2
madNbad

Sell it as is and let the buyer send it out.

Old 09-13-2017   #3
benmacphoto

A lot of times putting the money into a repair equals the value of the equipment selling as if it had been serviced.
If that is the case, I sell it as is and let someone else put the money into it.

Website

Old 09-13-2017   #4
mpaniagua

I would say sell it as is. Problem is that, you don't really know what to expect from a overhauled camera. Besides, this are old cameras, and even though it may had been overhauled, it isn't a warranty that it will break down somewhere once I bought it, which means it will need an additional $$ and time investment. When you buy something more or less usuable and pay for an extra overhaul, more or less you know where you stand.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 09-13-2017   #5
Red Rock Bill

sell it and let the buyer make the choice......it's working now and probably won't see a lot of use....someone who just wants to try one out for the experience is where it will go...regards,Bill

Old 09-13-2017   #6
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock Bill View Post
sell it and let the buyer make the choice......it's working now and probably won't see a lot of use....someone who just wants to try one out for the experience is where it will go...regards,Bill
Yes you're right it is working now and a casual user may be content to use it as is.

With other cameras I would agree completely.
In this case I wonder if there is something special about Rolleiflex. .... which is why I bring it up in a thread.

The technician is someone who has 40+ years of experience (he was in the LA market and worked on Avedon and other big hitters Rolleis).
It's much easier to get a Rolleiflex than it is to get one overhauled by a master.
It seems to me the overhaul is the value here.

Maybe I have it wrong.
When I was looking for a Rollei I tried earnestly to find one that had been recently serviced.
It could just be me. Having used a serviceable yet tired Rollei and then, a Completely overhauled fresh one... it's a night and day difference.

Old 09-13-2017   #7
Coopersounds

it sounds like you are leaning towards a service, if you can see the risk as a positive then go for it.
Personally I would sell it as is, recommending a service with said technician.

Old 09-13-2017   #8
Mjd-djm

If it takes pictures with no issues the sell it as is. I would rather get a bargain, use it for a while and then service when it's needed. Just bought a Mamiya 645j for peanuts because it has a few issues, light seals, beginnings of haze in lens. It takes beautiful pictures though. If and when it stops working I would have it repaired / serviced. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Old 09-13-2017   #9
Huss

I would sell as is. I also have given up looking for recently serviced cameras because unless there is a matching receipt of service from a tech that you have heard of and trust, it means nothing.
I bought a Leica M4-2 off a respected member of this site, that had a claimed CLA. When I got it it obviously had not. Fogged VF, etc etc

Old 09-13-2017   #10
Dan Daniel

It's pretty simple: as a labor of love for a Rolleiflex, go ahead and get it serviced. But do not, DO NOT expect to do anything but lose money on the overall sale.

Your call- help keep a Rolleiflex alive by getting a good overhaul, or not lose money. You won't get both.

Old 09-13-2017   #11
aizan

refer the buyer to your repairman (who is it anyway?) and offer to drop it off for them if they want it to be serviced.

Old 09-13-2017   #12
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
refer the buyer to your repairman (who is it anyway?) and offer to drop it off for them if they want it to be serviced.
+1

B2 (;->

Old 09-13-2017   #13
ellisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
+2.

A ballpark estimate of the service cost from your repairman may be helpful to the buyer if he/she wants to consider that option.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 09-13-2017   #14
twopointeight

I have a Rolleiflex 2.8F listed for awhile, you and I even exchanged messages about it. I've learned that the CLA is key in the case of a higher priced model. At least it should be checked by a technician and have that assessment and costs be available. I've decided to CLA mine and would love to do it in Seattle, if you don't mind sharing who the local repair person is?

Old 09-13-2017   #15
easyrider
Photo addict

"The camera is in Excellent condition yet due for an overhaul." If it's in excellent condition, why does it need an overhaul?
I have a 3.5 MX that I am thinking of selling. It was in repair once many years ago. I am going to put a roll of film through it and show it to the potential buyer. I have owned it forever but only used it intermittently. The mirror is a bit dim by today's standards but I am sure it will work fine.

Old 09-13-2017   #16
Steve M.

As-is sale. You will probably never get your money back otherwise.

An "overhaul" on one of these is really simple if you DIY. Unscrew the lens elements and clean them, flush the shutter and aperture blades while you're in there, ck the seals on the back (on most TLRs some yarn laid in the channels is all you need), maybe replace or at least clean the focus screen and mirror, and confirm infinity focus w/ a bit of ground glass on the film rails w/ a loupe and the camera on a tripod focused across the street on B setting.

My typical course of action is to buy an old camera and run a roll of film through it after checking the shutter speeds with a tester, cleaning the lens elements if necessary, and making sure infinity focus is correct. In 9 out of 10 cases it will take wonderful photos just like it is.

Old 09-14-2017   #17
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

I would much prefer a Rollei that has been CLA'd by a known competent tech, to one in unknown or dubious condition. I'd like to begin shooting with it, and not have to box it up again to send off someplace.

Old 09-14-2017   #18
Ronald M

sell as is letting buyer know shutter sticky or whatever. Decide on good reserve price

If no takers, see if you can sell as overhauled piece. If not, then dump the Yashica.

Honestly dump Yashica anyway.

Old 09-14-2017   #19
f16sunshine

Thank you all for your participation in the thread.
The poll after 24hrs is 2-1 in favor of selling as is.... pretty unanimous.
I'll probably post the camera up for sale as is and let the buyer know of the access to an overhaul.

@easyrider
The camera is in Excellent condition but needs an overhaul. It's 70 years old. Something does not need to be broken to benefit from a full service.
It certainly could be used as is.

@ Ronald M
The Yashica A is actually a perfect compliment to the Rolleiflex 2.8D.
It has a Very sharp simple Triplet lens in a Copal Shutter and, low maintenance "red window" advance rather than the sometimes buggy advance system in later Yashicamats.
As years go by this camera will still be running while others have become bricks from broken carriage systems that lack availability of spare parts.
The focus screen in this camera is actually brighter and has better "pop" than the Rolleiflex.... it's very easy to focus.
The camera is lightweight and very reliable due to it's simplicity.
You can get educated on it's virtues here if you like.

I also have a Rolleicord iii here but it looks like my nephew might take that one .... trying not to get attached

@ Joel
The Tech is officially retired. I'll ask him if he is interested in additional camera work.
Will send you a PM after I speak with him.

Old 09-14-2017   #20
twopointeight

Thanks Andy. I would appreciate that. Tell him its a 2.8F in good shape. Just not used in several years.