Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Polaroid & Fuji Instax

Polaroid & Fuji Instax All things Polaroid and Fuji Instax

Old 1 Week Ago   #41
valdas

I still have maybe 50-60 packs of Fuji FP 100 and maybe 20 of FP 3000 (bought when it still was 10 EUR per pack) to use with my converted Polaroid Pathfinder. When I finish those then maybe... just maybe...

Old 1 Week Ago   #42
robert blu
quiet photographer

So Polaroid is back !

Nice but there was something legendary shooting "impossible"

I have not understood if the new films are only the Impossible films rebranded or they are a new generation. Anyway I have ordered a few B&W and color for my i-1 for a short trip I'll have at the end of the month, I hope they arrive before I leave!

robert

PS: Raid unfortunately none of these will work not the Land Cameras...we can only hope that a commercial success of this action will generate enough profit to push the management to take the risk to start a new adventure and try to reintroduce the film packs...probably a remote possibility but dreams are not expensive for us...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 1 Week Ago   #43
ulrich.von.lich

8 photos, no original chemicals, 15 minutes to develop...

move on

Old 1 Week Ago   #44
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
So Polaroid is back !
So Impossible licensed the Polaroid trademark (which had almost entirely faded away in its last incarnation as a brand for low-end digital cameras). Unless that came along with enough investor money to buy them some more former Polaroid plants, it does not mean that they now have more Polaroid technology than they already owned (in the shape of the EU integral film plant) - the chances are very slim that that could result in a resurrection of peel-apart film, or even in more advances in re-creating Polaroid quality integral film.

Old 1 Week Ago   #45
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
So Impossible licensed the Polaroid trademark (which had almost entirely faded away in its last incarnation as a brand for low-end digital cameras). Unless that came along with enough investor money to buy them some more former Polaroid plants, it does not mean that they now have more Polaroid technology than they already owned (in the shape of the EU integral film plant) - the chances are very slim that that could result in a resurrection of peel-apart film, or even in more advances in re-creating Polaroid quality integral film.
Of course what you say is correct, we know that for many reasons like environmental problematics the "old Polaroid film" with original chemicals will never come back as it was. The hope is that with more capital available more R&D can be done...
As for the peel part film yes...just a dream...
robert

Old 1 Week Ago   #46
Prest_400
Multiformat

The onestep 2 is a nice release, that plays along nicely with the branding. I'd hoped they would keep "Impossible" for something.
I have an SX70 given by a forumer and it's been a while since I shot it. Still have a couple IP 2015mfd packs laying around from a sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrich.von.lich View Post

move on
Impossible Original Chemistry
As far I know, as much Polaroid formulations they may have been able to pick, most of the specific chemistry is just out of reach.
Even Kodak finds having to revamp some components of Ektachrome.

From observations on r/Polaroid subreddit, the 15min dev time (to completion?) suggest it is a new generation of film. B&W may have been overhauled as well. There was a "Beta" being tested around.
The (small) price decrease is quite welcome. Of course Instax can be superior in many ways, but sadly not compatible with Polaroids. There was a tech testing some Instax to SX70 contraption though...

Robert, will look forward to your results.

Old 1 Week Ago   #47
brbo

Quote:

move on
To what? Somebody started making better film that I can put into my old Polaroid cameras?

Yes, I might buy an Instax square camera when they make a bigger film and a decent camera, but till then...

Old 1 Week Ago   #48
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
$99 for the One Step2, that's not too bad ... and it even looks great!

The new camera is $99 in the US and £110 in the UK. WTF?

I'll try and remember to grease my ar*e up before I pop into the IP store to buy one.

Old 1 Week Ago   #49
ulrich.von.lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
To what? Somebody started making better film that I can put into my old Polaroid cameras?

Yes, I might buy an Instax square camera when they make a bigger film and a decent camera, but till then...
If you can wait 15 minutes for the photo to be developed, then you don't really need an instant camera. Just think about it and move on to either something of better quality or to Fuji Instax cameras with smaller image sizes. At least they are true instant cameras.

I still have my Impossible Project pioneer card and had supported them for many years, but they don't seem to improve. And their "Unpredictability is Art" vision is something I really hate. All I want is the original Polaroid 600 film. I guess they will never do it even if they can make it today, because the stability of the old film would be a slap in the face to their new "artistic" vision.

I had some hope before the announcement.

Old 1 Week Ago   #50
brbo

Quote:
If you can wait 15 minutes for the photo to be developed, then you don't really need an instant camera. Just think about it and move on to either something of better quality or to Fuji Instax cameras with smaller image sizes. At least they are true instant cameras.
I never said I NEEDED instant camera.

Quote:
All I want is the original Polaroid 600 film. I guess they will never do it even if they can make it today, because the stability of the old film would be a slap in the face to their new "artistic" vision.
So, go ask Fuji to make it. I've been told so many times lately that they REALLY listen to customers.

Old 1 Week Ago   #51
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

I'm still curious if SX70 and 600 films are new or simply rebranded? The website only talks about the 'all new i film'.

I'm disappointed the announcement wasn't something 'bigger'. Putting 10 prints in a pack so my film counter is accurate would have been great! As would bringing the price down even further (compared to Instax where prints cost $0.50 mini or $0.70 wide). Sounds like the i film's chemicals were improved to reduce developing time and color/contrast, but again, no mention if these changes apply to the other films. Guess we'll see. While I shoot frequently enough with Impossible film on my SX70, I am disappointed with 85% of the photos. The colors are so low contrast and never expose properly. This even after having my camera completely overhauled; the film packs are simply inconsistent.

I still keep my dream alive that Fuji will create Instax film that works in an SX70 (pipe dream, I know). That or they finally release an Instax wide printer that isn't the size of a tank like the Instax wide camera.

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 1 Week Ago   #52
brbo

I-type is the same as 600.

Imposs... Polaroid says:

--------------------------------------
All new brand. All new film:
Polaroid Originals launches with a new generation of Color film, sharper and brighter than the Impossible film that came before it. And with development time down to 10-15 minutes, it’s a big step forward for our instant color chemistry. B&W is there as good as ever, and Special Edition film will continue, starting with the firm fan favorite, our 600 Color Frames Edition in both Color and B&W formulas.
--------------------------------------

I would be surprised if new Polaroid branded SX-70 film would not be updated to the latest generation tech.

Old 1 Week Ago   #53
robert blu
quiet photographer

I think 600 film is the same as the i-1, only difference one has a battery and the other not. It would make sense for production reasons.

Of course sx-70 has different iso...

robert
PS: just my guessing....

Old 1 Week Ago   #54
Chubberino
-

Interestring development.

Old 1 Week Ago   #55
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
I'm still curious if SX70 and 600 films are new or simply rebranded? The website only talks about the 'all new i film'.......
The 600-speed color film is new. I mentioned this before, but I beta-tested the new 600-series film earlier this spring.

600-series B&W, color and B&W SX-70, and color and B&W Spectra films are all carryover, but now repackaged under the “new” Polaroid name.

Plus, they’re a lot cheaper.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 1 Week Ago   #56
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
So Polaroid is back !

Nice but there was something legendary shooting "impossible"

I have not understood if the new films are only the Impossible films rebranded or they are a new generation. Anyway I have ordered a few B&W and color for my i-1 for a short trip I'll have at the end of the month, I hope they arrive before I leave!

robert

PS: Raid unfortunately none of these will work not the Land Cameras...we can only hope that a commercial success of this action will generate enough profit to push the management to take the risk to start a new adventure and try to reintroduce the film packs...probably a remote possibility but dreams are not expensive for us...

This is true, Robert, but as you have said, maybe the new interest in Polaroid photography will result in a momentum that somehow (via a miracle!) brings back the "right film".

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 1 Week Ago   #57
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I was aware of the end of 100C film, Jim, but I did not know if Impossible Project has a new film for the old cameras.
Impossible Project never had production capability for pack-film production. The Netherlands plant they acquired was specifically for integral film production. Fuji was the last manufacturer of pack-film for Polaroid cameras and backs.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #58
raid
Dad Photographer

Bad news for me, Godfrey, but this is life.

Old 1 Week Ago   #59
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I'm happy to see The Impossible Project morphing into the parent company from which it came. Remember that the film production plant which was TIP's center *was* the very last Polaroid film plant, and it was only a last ditch effort to save it that has kept film in the pipeline for these cameras.

Polaroid should never have closed down in the first place. They made that decision too early. In hindsight, demand for Polaroid integral film never went as low as they had imagined and remained at a still profitable level. But the die was cast in 2003 and the machinery of corporate process had an inertia that could not be stopped.

TIP saved Polaroid integral film from extinction, and even though it is almost an entirely different product now, without those efforts it would be gone entirely. Welding the name and brand back into place remains a risky endeavor, but one with much more potential for success.

I wish them all the luck that their hard work deserves. Time to blow out the remainder of my TIP film stock and buy some new film, see how it sings in my original SX-70 and upgraded SLR670m and SLR670a cameras. AND in my Spectras, Instant Lab, I-1, and 66/6 Instant Film Pinhole cameras as well.

Without TIP, Original Polaroid could never have existed. Polaroid instant film cameras would be dead and gone because NO ONE would have invested the $2B plus dollars to create a new, from the ground up, film production facility today. NO ONE would invest in designing new cameras without that. So if you truly love film photography, celebrate and wish them well.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #60
Mackinaw
Think Different

Well said, Godfrey.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 1 Week Ago   #61
robert blu
quiet photographer

+1 what Godfrey says. Since the beginning I tried to support the IP with the hope they could go on developing their films. To reach high quality from zero is not easy and even if there is much place for further development with the actual range of films we can use our loved old or new cameras.
I placed an order for a few packs B&W and color yesterday and the parcel arrived a few minutes ago! I'll try at least one of B&W for the i-1 in the next days, keeping the others for a short trip in a couple of weeks.
robert

Old 1 Week Ago   #62
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I'm happy to see The Impossible Project morphing into the parent company from which it came. Remember that the film production plant which was TIP's center *was* the very last Polaroid film plant, and it was only a last ditch effort to save it that has kept film in the pipeline for these cameras.

Polaroid should never have closed down in the first place. They made that decision too early. In hindsight, demand for Polaroid integral film never went as low as they had imagined and remained at a still profitable level. But the die was cast in 2003 and the machinery of corporate process had an inertia that could not be stopped.

TIP saved Polaroid integral film from extinction, and even though it is almost an entirely different product now, without those efforts it would be gone entirely. Welding the name and brand back into place remains a risky endeavor, but one with much more potential for success.

I wish them all the luck that their hard work deserves. Time to blow out the remainder of my TIP film stock and buy some new film, see how it sings in my original SX-70 and upgraded SLR670m and SLR670a cameras. AND in my Spectras, Instant Lab, I-1, and 66/6 Instant Film Pinhole cameras as well.

Without TIP, Original Polaroid could never have existed. Polaroid instant film cameras would be dead and gone because NO ONE would have invested the $2B plus dollars to create a new, from the ground up, film production facility today. NO ONE would invest in designing new cameras without that. So if you truly love film photography, celebrate and wish them well.

G
+1.
Very well said.

Cheers, Jan

Old 1 Week Ago   #63
papaki

Well said! I am very happy to see The Impossible Project taking instant film photography from where it has been left and keep it going! I cannot wait to try anything new they produce to my Polaroid cameras.

Old 1 Week Ago   #64
mich rassena

I wish Fuji would make bigger Instant film. That's it. Fuji is great stuff, colors look good, the film develops quickly, no problem. Impossible has always been a bit difficult. I have hated the idea of paying full price for a beta-product (and they haven't hidden this fact). I've found the best use of the Impossible film has been to test SX70s and 600 cameras.

Old 1 Week Ago   #65
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich rassena View Post
I wish Fuji would make bigger Instant film............
Fuji does make Instax Wide instant film, which is about twice the size of the standard Instax film. But the cameras Fuji makes to take the bigger film are a joke.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 1 Week Ago   #66
raid
Dad Photographer

I agree with Jim, above. I was once tempted to get into using Instax Wide for the larger photo size, but I want a good camera (such as my Land 250)

Old 1 Week Ago   #67
Peter Wijninga

Let's see how Fuji will respond...

Old 1 Week Ago   #68
rcubed
Canadian

^ Im shooting the instax wide with my MUP. Instax is easier to source. Im thinking of getting the new One Step2 and hacking it up to take a Belair back to shoot instax.

Heres a quick testshot:

MUP w/ 90mm 3.5

Old 1 Week Ago   #69
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
The new camera is $99 in the US and £110 in the UK. WTF?

I'll try and remember to grease my ar*e up before I pop into the IP store to buy one.
That's because they have to make a version with the shutter button on the other side for the UK market.

Old 1 Week Ago   #70
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
What do you do then when you buy your Fuji 90 Neo for £120 when the same camera can be bought for $110 in US? You bring your best raincoat for some Fuji-style-Love?

Ever heard of VAT?

Old 1 Week Ago   #71
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
^ Im shooting the instax wide with my MUP.
What is MUP? Thanks!

Old 1 Week Ago   #72
rcubed
Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
What is MUP? Thanks!
Sorry, Mamiya Universal Press!

Old 1 Week Ago   #73
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Let's see how Fuji will respond...
I don't really care "how Fuji will respond" per se, but if you want what looks to be a usable Instax square camera, Lomo has a Kickstarter program going for one that looks interesting to me:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-square-camera

Much more interesting than the Fuji Instax square camera IMO. Not quite up to the technical sophistication of an SX70 or SLR670a/m/s...

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #74
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
.......Much more interesting than the Fuji Instax square camera IMO. Not quite up to the technical sophistication of an SX70 or SLR670a/m/s...
This is interesting.

And it looks like a lot of interest in this camera since they easily blew by their Kickstarter goal.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 1 Week Ago   #75
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Fuji does make Instax Wide instant film, which is about twice the size of the standard Instax film. But the cameras Fuji makes to take the bigger film are a joke.

Jim B.
Seeing that Instax wide and 6x9 are not too far off... If the GW690 had the ability of changing backs (NPC did a Polaroid Mod), it would be interesting to add an instax back to it!

Fuji's got the advantage of full legacy tech reflecting on prices. They kept their structure intact and benefit from it. IP had to redo integrally.

Old 1 Week Ago   #76
aizan

except they discontinued peel-apart film.

Old 1 Week Ago   #77
wjlapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Bad news for me, Godfrey, but this is life.
I have a couple of boxes for FP100 with an expiration date of 2018. Go gets some.

Old 1 Week Ago   #78
raid
Dad Photographer

How costly is such film today? $25/pack?

Old 1 Week Ago   #79
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
I have a couple of boxes for FP100 with an expiration date of 2018. Go gets some.
I still have most of a case of FP1000b, fresh a couple of years ago ... and a Polaroid Land 250 camera to use it in, as well as a Hasselblad back. I'm obviously not using it very quickly. So if anyone wants it, make an offer.

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #80
RLG

Polaroid Originals vs Impossible vs Polaroid 600: it's in French but the pictures show the performance. SX-70 film is 600 film with an ND filter on the film pack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniAs_dMYWI

Fuji FP-100C can be kept frozen, store vertical. Have a look at Figital Revolution - Stephan Shaub.