Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Bonneville Speed Week
Old 10-27-2019   #1
Larry Cloetta

Bonneville Speed Week

Wasn't sure where to post this, or if to post it. Not really about Travel, though one has to travel to get there. It's about cars, car people, and maximum car craziness, but there is no Car forum, so am posting it here.

Two reasons for posting, the first is to encourage others who have photos of this event, to post them here. The secondary reason is these photos, just to get people started.

These photos are generally not that great as photos, but am posting this to see photos others might have, and to encourage the "car people" here to make the effort to go to this event some day, because you will not regret it.
Bonneville Speed Week is Burning Man for car people, unlike anything else on the planet.

The photos to follow will not fully capture this event, because being there is, as many others have said, a bit otherworldly, because the Salt Flats are a bit otherworldly. Superimposing this unique event, with these people, on top of the geography, it's something else. Photos can't do it justice, just go someday, if you can.

Bonneville Salt Flats, largest racing venue on the planet at 350 square miles of surface, home of the annual Speed Record attempts every August, is located a few miles outside of Wendover, UT, which is itself in the middle of nowhere.

6:30 A.M. on the road in

Support vehicle close to start line

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 10-27-2019   #2
Larry Cloetta

Behind the starting line and settled in for a day of spectating

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 10-27-2019   #3
Larry Cloetta

Old 10-27-2019   #4
Larry Cloetta

Orange line on the salt is the start line. They run two parallel lines of vehicles, lined up behind the starting line, and each line of racers stretches back about a mile and a half. Starting order is determined by nothing more than when you got in line in the morning. First come, first served. Motorcycle, in front of stock car, in front of streamliner, in front of jet propelled something, totally random. No favoritism, just run what you brung.

Old 10-27-2019   #5
Larry Cloetta

Starting a run. Dots in the distance are, to the right the "Pits" area which stretches for about a mile and a half or two miles, dots to the left are the tail end of the mile and a half or so of the double line of vehicles lined up, and snaking around to the starting line.

Old 10-27-2019   #6
Larry Cloetta

There is a class for everything. It is possible to set a world record for anything, because there is a class for that. Honda 50, Jet engine car, doesn't matter. If you think you can set a world speed record, and get your name in the record books, go ahead and try.

Old 10-27-2019   #7
Larry Cloetta

Racers here from all over the world, spending untold amounts of money and time, and traveling halfway around the world, to attempt to do something no one else has ever done. The prize money: Absolutely nothing. This is amateur sport at it's finest, most obsessed, and nuttiest. Just for the sport, makes absolutely no sense at all if you are "practical". Practical people are somewhere else this week.

Where is this team from? Italy, obviously. che bellissima!

Old 10-27-2019   #8
Larry Cloetta

Let's go racing. The umbrellas are not for show. Sun is unbelievably bright coming off the salt, and in the afternoon it can get pretty hot.

Old 10-27-2019   #9
Larry Cloetta

Streamliner

Old 10-27-2019   #10
Larry Cloetta

View from the starting line. Object is to stay on the blue line painted on the salt, and stay between the barrels with the timing lights, and, if you are going to flip at 300mph+, try to not take out one of the timing lights because it slows down the event. Which I saw once.
Short course (3 miles long) is overlaid on the Intermediate course (5 miles long), which is overlaid on the Long course (8 miles long). So, what you see here off into the distance is 8 miles of straight blue line followed by a cool down area.

Old 10-27-2019   #11
Larry Cloetta

It's a car event, so car people bring their cars to spectate. By the hundreds.

Old 10-27-2019   #12
Larry Cloetta

Old 10-27-2019   #13
Larry Cloetta

Waiting in line to run.

Old 10-27-2019   #14
Larry Cloetta

The lady who owns the black coupe drove it down from New Jersey. She told me she had been coming every year for the last decade. Some years she runs it, some years she just spectates.

Old 10-27-2019   #15
Larry Cloetta

Jaguar. Jaguar with a supercharged Buick Straight Eight putting out over 800 horsepower. There's a class for that. I don't know what it is, but there's a class for that.
Not sure what kind of person wakes up one morning and decides to find an old Buick straight Eight, supercharge it, put it in his Jag, and fly it across the Atlantic to see if it can be the fastest ever of what it is. All for no reward outside the doing of it.
The spirit of this place is decidedly beautiful, in a really, really weird way.

Old 10-27-2019   #16
Paulbe

Wow! Great pix, Larry! Thanks for posting--the last I read--the salt wasn't in that great of shape---that true?

Old 10-27-2019   #17
Larry Cloetta

It is so bright here that there are dynamic range issues. I have spent much time on white beaches near the equator, but this is by far the brightest place I have ever been. Sunglasses and a hat pretty much mandatory.

Old 10-27-2019   #18
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
Wow! Great pix, Larry! Thanks for posting--the last I read--the salt wasn't in that great of shape---that true?
Hi Paul,

Thanks. You're right. They had to postpone the initial day by a couple of days and it still wasn't that great, which kept the speeds down. Relatively.
Too much snow over the winter, just hadn't had time, even by August to have baked it down enough. It was flat, but it was soft. And, bumpier than on a good year.
I had never gone before, but I may try it again next year. It's a completely crazy event, and a lot of fun.

Old 10-27-2019   #19
CharlesDAMorgan

Larry - these are splendid - thank you for such a lovely set of photos of such a unique and historic event.

As to the Jaguar - the owner must have been off his rocker to mix an old XJ40 with salt at all!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 10-27-2019   #20
Larry Cloetta

Old 10-27-2019   #21
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Larry - these are splendid - thank you for such a lovely set of photos of such a unique and historic event.

As to the Jaguar - the owner must have been off his rocker to mix an old XJ40 with salt at all!
Thanks, Charles. And I was going to mention that about the salt. If I go again, it will be in a rental car.

Old 10-27-2019   #22
Larry Cloetta

Does everyone's Cushman have ABS?

Old 10-27-2019   #23
charjohncarter

Great, love the little Honda racer.

Old 10-27-2019   #24
Larry Cloetta

1961 Dodge Pioneer. Someone trailered this beauty down from Ontario.

Old 10-27-2019   #25
Larry Cloetta

This was one of three teams I saw from New Zealand.
England, Canada, Italy, Russia, Germany, Australia, and there were surely some I missed.

Old 10-27-2019   #26
Larry Cloetta

Old 10-27-2019   #27
Larry Cloetta

Er, yeah! Moon Equipment! Nothing succeeds like excess.

Old 10-27-2019   #28
Larry Cloetta

Old 10-27-2019   #29
Larry Cloetta

Not usually a fan of alternate versions, but really liked how this one worked out in B&W

Old 10-27-2019   #30
Larry Cloetta

I don't remember how fast this Indian went, but it was pretty quick.

Looking at the background, to get a sense of scale, this is probably 3-4 miles away from the starting line photos I posted initially.

Old 10-27-2019   #31
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

For an old car guy, Bonneville is heaven. Thanks for the pictures. I love Rat Speedsters.

Old 10-27-2019   #32
Larry Cloetta

Old 10-27-2019   #33
Larry Cloetta

Old 10-27-2019   #34
Larry Cloetta

Even the food trucks are colorful.

Old 10-27-2019   #35
Larry Cloetta

It's hard to see the entire course from one spot, but where there's a will there's a way (to see the short course anyway).

Old 10-27-2019   #36
Larry Cloetta

Salt Flats mean bring your own plumbing.

Old 10-27-2019   #37
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post

Not usually a fan of alternate versions, but really liked how this one worked out in B&W

Thanks for all the pics ... and I have to say i really like this, it stood out for me instantly.

I watched 'The World's Fastest Indian' again recently and your post is a timely reminder of how much I like that movie. Especially being an ex pat Kiwi.

Old 10-27-2019   #38
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Larry, thanks a LOT for posting these! They’re wonderful. Attending the races has been on my bucket list since I was a kid. First became aware of them when I was working a late night shift at my dad’s gas station in central Nevada. Pulling in out of the black night into the parking lot light came a sight from another world. Sitting on a trailer was a huge mind-blowing site... Craig Breedlove’s giant rocket powered car! They were headed to Bonneville. I’ve never forgot that amazing moment.
A great related movie: “The World’s Fastest Indian”.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-27-2019   #39
retinax

Wow, absolute insanity. In a good way. Well, except for exposing vintage cars to salt, and modding them to death in the first place. Great photography, too!

Old 10-27-2019   #40
Guth
Observational Documenter

Larry, thank you for starting this thread, and especially for the photos. I wish that I had some of my own to contribute but I'm sad to say that I have never been to this event. One of the great things about this setting is the starkness provided by the white sand and the clear blue sky. If you manage to catch a vehicle in isolation, with such a clean and simple backdrop, it is possible for a photo taken in 2019 to appear as if it could have come from any number of earlier decades depending on the year of the vehicle.

As a motorcycle crazy kid I first became aware of the salt flats thanks to Don Vesco. The few times that I have passed through that area I've thought of him and speed week. As mentioned by others above, The Worlds Fastest Indian is a very entertaining movie enjoyed by gearheads (like myself) and non-gearheads (like my wife) alike.