Show me a nice new car
Old 05-28-2013   #1
robbeiflex

Show me a nice new car

Based on the runaway success of kshapero's "Show me a nice old car", let's have a counterpoint for beautiful modern machinery. I recently got my Ziess Ikonta 521 all nice and light tight, and shot a roll of Superpan 200 in it. Here is something from that roll to get started:

"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 06-01-2019   #2
nickthetasmaniac

Six years later and there still doesn't appear to be an alternative to 'Show me a nice old car', so hopefully this thread will gain some traction (pardon the pun)...

Spotted in Kuala Lumpur

Pentax MX, SMC-M 28/f2 and Tmax400

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 06-01-2019   #3
Huss

Nikon F6, Sigma Art 50, Fuji C200

Old 06-05-2019   #4
dourbalistar

Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 105mm f/2.4, Kodak Ektar 100.

2018.11.10 Roll #188-69900004.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

flickr

Old 07-19-2019   #5
dourbalistar

As I was composing this shot, a couple walked into the frame from the left and entered the crosswalk, passing in front of the car. I waited until they crossed the street and out of the frame before taking the shot. Turns out, it was the owner of the car. I said, "Nice car!" and continued on my way.

I think it's a McLaren 570GT.

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, ORWO N74+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2019.04.27 Roll #202-03524-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 07-19-2019   #6
CharlesDAMorgan

Now that is a nice new car, especially well rendered into something older by the film!

My problem is as a car nut that I can hardly think of a single new car that I like the look of.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 07-19-2019   #7
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Now that is a nice new car, especially well rendered into something older by the film!

My problem is as a car nut that I can hardly think of a single new car that I like the look of.
Various and increasing regulations imposed on car manufacturers since the late 60’s by bureaucratic agencies have made artistic expression in sheetmetal almost impossible. There are a few modern cars one could point to that can legitimately be called beautiful , but even the nice ones all suffer from a certain sameness because they are all constrained by the same set of outside rules.

There are certain crash protection and fuel efficiency benefits which accrued from all this, but for those who viewed the automobile as an art form as much or more than a transportation appliance, it has been an esthetic tragedy of sorts.
It’s exactly as if some grey government functionary had walked into van Gogh’s studio, and took away 80% of the colors in his studio, especially the oranges and yellows because of “the dangers of cadmium”, and said “have a nice day, don’t forget to pay your fine.”

The Art of the Automobile is no longer possible, in any real sense. We are left with a few beautiful cars which tend to look vaguely similar, and a majority of transport modules which look like egg cartons.

Sic transit gloria mundi

Ah, for the days that something as different and as cleanly, outrageously beautiful as a Jaguar E-type could be sprung on an unsuspecting world, in 1961, seemingly out of nowhere, with no design antecedents to be found.

“Sir William Lyons, so sorry, but that thing goes to the crusher today, those bumpers!”

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 07-19-2019   #8
dourbalistar

Quote:

Thank you, Charles! It's not every day you see a McLaren parked on the street.

I'm not a car nut, but I agree with your sentiments about the look of new cars. I much preferred the old 1950s T-Bird I saw earlier in the day. I think most denizens of this forum would also agree, seeing as the "Show me a nice old car" thread is near its 1,600th post since 2013, whereas this one is (pun intended) stalled at less than 10 posts.

flickr

Old 07-19-2019   #9
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Ah, for the days that something as different and as cleanly, outrageously beautiful as a Jaguar E-type could be sprung on an unsuspecting world, in 1961, seemingly out of nowhere, with no design antecedents to be found.
Maybe...
Pentax K-1, 1.4/50mm SMCP

Old 07-19-2019   #10
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Various and increasing regulations imposed on car manufacturers since the late 60’s by bureaucratic agencies have made artistic expression in sheetmetal almost impossible. There are a few modern cars one could point to that can legitimately be called beautiful , but even the nice ones all suffer from a certain sameness because they are all constrained by the same set of outside rules.

There are certain crash protection and fuel efficiency benefits which accrued from all this, but for those who viewed the automobile as an art form as much or more than a transportation appliance, it has been an esthetic tragedy of sorts.
It’s exactly as if some grey government functionary had walked into van Gogh’s studio, and took away 80% of the colors in his studio, especially the oranges and yellows because of “the dangers of cadmium”, and said “have a nice day, don’t forget to pay your fine.”

The Art of the Automobile is no longer possible, in any real sense. We are left with a few beautiful cars which tend to look vaguely similar, and a majority of transport modules which look like egg cartons.

Sic transit gloria mundi

“Sir William Lyons, so sorry, but that thing goes to the crusher today, those bumpers!”
Indeed, a concise and precise summary. Sadly I can't remember the last time I said wow.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3 - all gone.

Old 07-19-2019   #11
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Maybe...
Pentax K-1, 1.4/50mm SMCP
Doug,

That’s a heck of a car, in so many ways, but the design antecedents stretch all the way back to 1948 and the first 356, which Porsche never tires of reminding us.
Jaguar went from the XK-150 to the E-type basically overnight, which is what I meant by designers having a blank sheet of paper to work on every single year.
Automotive designers, from 1900 to 1965 or so, never had to “think outside the box”, because up until then, there was no box.

Would love to have your car, though, regardless

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 07-19-2019   #12
Doug

^^ True, it has antecedents, though it does demonstrate that even today some manufacturers are producing attractive designs.

Also, some newer cars may look good from the outside but have ergonomic problems, like a high belt-line that makes it difficult to see out, as one example.

Old 07-19-2019   #13
Larry Cloetta

Quote:

Also, some newer cars may look good from the outside but have ergonomic problems, like a high belt-line that makes it difficult to see out, as one example.
If you can’t comfortably hang your elbow out the window as you motor along, I don’t want it.

Old 08-06-2019   #14
dourbalistar

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, ORWO N74+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2019.04.27 Roll #202-03523-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 08-06-2019   #15
CharlesDAMorgan

Good shot Dourbalister! In general it's very rare I come across any car that I can get a totally unimpeded shot of, and that McClaren is therefore doubly rare.

McClarens are made about 10 miles away from me and there is a big dealership at Ascot, so I see more than my fair share. If I ever had the money, and they are doubly attractive to this ex-old-Citroen owner because some of the suspension is based upon the old hydropneumatic system (hopefully without the puddles of green suspension fluid that used to greet me like a puppy accident!).

Old 08-06-2019   #16
dourbalistar

Quote:
Good shot Dourbalister! In general it's very rare I come across any car that I can get a totally unimpeded shot of, and that McClaren is therefore doubly rare.

McClarens are made about 10 miles away from me and there is a big dealership at Ascot, so I see more than my fair share. If I ever had the money, and they are doubly attractive to this ex-old-Citroen owner because some of the suspension is based upon the old hydropneumatic system (hopefully without the puddles of green suspension fluid that used to greet me like a puppy accident!).
Thanks, Charles! It's the same car as Post #5 above. We actually spotted that McLaren driving past it on the way to a restaurant a few blocks away. We had to wait for a table, so after we parked, I walked back with my kids to pass the time and to take some photos. I agree it's rare to get unimpeded shots of cars, so I was pretty happy with that lucky find.

Come to think of it, Post #4 was another lucky, unimpeded shot...

flickr

$130,000 Revero
Old 08-07-2019   #17
Taipei-metro

$130,000 Revero

Karma...Chinese(?!), well Fisker is gone...

Arcadia, Los Angeles County

images by taipei-metro

panasonic g6, zuiko 14-42
media Siliconpower Taiwan

Old 08-07-2019   #18
wjlapier

Quote:
If you can’t comfortably hang your elbow out the window as you motor along, I don’t want it.
Here ya go Larry...

Is
Old 08-07-2019   #19
Taipei-metro

Is

this a 720S(?)...don't answer!

mclaren driven by a San Marino high school (Chinese) kid
San Marino High School, Los Angeles County

a taipei-metro image

g6, 14-42, siliconpower

Old 08-07-2019   #20
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
Here ya go Larry...

Nice. Beautiful light.

Old 08-07-2019   #21
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
Here ya go Larry...
I love the truck, but the sills are too high relative to the seat bottoms to be able to rest your arm out the window unless either it’s pointing up from the shoulder, or you’re 7 feet tall. Plus, as opposed to, say, a 1958 Ford F-100, where you could let your arm hang out and down resting along the side of the truck, all neighborly-like, new ones they have also moved the seat centers farther inboard several inches, so it’s uncomfortable to even attempt that as you are sitting too far away from the outside of the car. Side impact crash standards.
Plus, they took away vent windows to reduce production costs and improve aero drag numbers, so there’s less natural ventilation, so you almost have to ride around with the windows rolled up and the A/C on anyway.

Thanks for posting though, it’s a serious vehicle.

Old 08-08-2019   #22
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Nikon F6, Sigma Art 50, Fuji C200

Beautiful!

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 08-14-2019   #23
CharlesDAMorgan

A newish car I rather like. Olympus MJUII, expired Fujicolor 200.

Old 08-18-2019   #24
markjwyatt

TeslaX by Mark Wyatt, on Flickr

Old 09-09-2019   #25
CharlesDAMorgan

Continuing the theme that a Mclaren is one of the nice new cars I like, a couple of the same car from Prescott Hill climb (a run up the hill in it as a prize). Large pat on the back for the person who names the other new car in the first picture. Leica M2, Summicron 50mm f2 dual range, Portra 400.

Old 09-09-2019   #26
CharlesDAMorgan

I love the idea of the Napier Railton, a fine beastie indeed, being new!

Old 09-09-2019   #27
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Sigma Sd Quattro, Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC "Art" lens (27mm-52mm on Sd Quattro)
Yokohama, Japan - September 2019

A yellow Honda something or other.

All the best,
Mike

Old 09-09-2019   #28
CharlesDAMorgan

There are so many cars for the Japanese market we just don't see. Looks rather sweet!

Old 09-10-2019   #29
Larry Cloetta

2020 mid engined Corvette. Stunning design execution when seen in the flesh, inside and out, sorry for the poor photos. At $70k list price, looks to be an intimidating amount of advanced automotive tech for the money, though the entire 2020 year's production is already pre-sold, so unless you are on friendly terms with your dealer, it will likely be more dear than that.
The cutaway model gives some idea of how far we have come since the '57 Biscayne.
First Vette I've really wanted since stumbling into a dealer's showroom July 1963 and ogling the first Sting Ray in town, a red split window coupe.
This thing looks to be a giant killer. Please excuse my enthusiasm, but this was generating major buzz, one reason I couldn't get close enough for long enough to take better shots.

Old 09-10-2019   #30
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Maybe...
Nice car, beautiful cat.

Some of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cars Lotus Esprit 1991 b~2.jpg (31.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG4055-1.jpg (39.8 KB, 9 views)

Old 09-10-2019   #31
Taipei-metro

Corolla

CVPi

crown vic police interceptor

images by taipei-metro

g6, panasonic 14mmF2.5, Zuiko14-42
media by transcend

Old 09-11-2019   #32
Taipei-metro

H2,
displacement 6.2L V8...made in the USoA by General Motor

a taipei-metro image

g6, 14-42 zuiko

i've seen lots of Prius running around in Arcadia, what happen...6.2L? Top Gun2?

Old 09-18-2019   #33
dourbalistar

Not sure if fire trucks count...

2005 HME Ahrens-Fox 1871-W Rescue Pumper.

Pentax 6x7, S-M-C Takumar 6x7 105mm f/2.4, Ilford HP5+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2018.09.29 Roll #184-02993-Pano-positive.jpg

flickr

Old 09-19-2019   #34
Guth
Observational Documenter

Quote:

Sadly I must agree with your sentiments by and large. Even though it's visual presence does not evoke the same sort of emotional response as a vintage sports car I still treasure my S2000. However there is more than just the looks of the Honda that endears it to me. It's also not exactly new, now at more than 14 years old.

Old 09-19-2019   #35
CharlesDAMorgan

Guth - that's lovely. That is the one car I really do want to own - the way in which the VTEC comes on song makes it gloriously wonderful. I briefly owned an Accord V6 coupe with the VTEC engine and that induction sound (especially with an induction filter) was fabulous. The rest of the car was dynamically flawed though and the 4 speed auto was terrible.

Old 09-19-2019   #36
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Sadly I must agree with your sentiments by and large. Even though it's visual presence does not evoke the same sort of emotional response as a vintage sports car I still treasure my S2000. However there is more than just the looks of the Honda that endears it to me. It's also not exactly new, now at more than 14 years old.

Those are nice, for sure, and a bit rare. A car that deserved more sales success than it seemed to achieve, a bit like the NSX in that regard.

Old 09-19-2019   #37
gnuyork

old(ish) and new

Old 09-19-2019   #38
valdas

Old 09-19-2019   #39
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

“Does this dark color make my butt look big?”

Old 09-19-2019   #40
Guth
Observational Documenter

Quote:
“Does this dark color make my butt look big?”
Larry, the Miata/MX-5 has been around long enough now that you can actually see your earlier observations playing out. The impacts of the various safety regulations (no pun intended) on the lines and proportions of the car are visible when it comes to things like the height of the bumpers, the associated height of the hood line, etc.. If I were to add a Miata to the garage I would likely be targeting one of the original NA models. The original Miata served as a nice tribute to design of the Lotus Elan (of which I almost recently loaded a photo of in the nice old car thread).