MP reliability/ QC with recent batches
Old 06-26-2019   #1
F456
Tom H

MP reliability/ QC with recent batches

Anyone find their recently bought MP has better or worse reliability than other late versions such as M6 or M6 TTL?

There were some horror stories a couple of years ago when I posted a similar query!

Have my name down on a waiting list and expecting delivery to the stockist next month from Leica Germany.

Also, please: any views on durability of silver finish vs. black paint, other than the Leica blurb about brassing patina telling a story etc etc? Personally I like to keep the cameras looking new despite perodic intensive use!

Anyway, any views on cosmetic or mechanical durability and reliability compared with the pre-MPs much appreciated.

Tom

Old 06-27-2019   #2
leicapixie

I wish you luck!
I had a Leica M3 (11,55...) delivered new without a working RFDR.
The moving cam plus other bits not included..
Final assembly by Leitz South Africa.
No! I was not offered another body.
3 signatures of "Final Quality Control".
It's still in service BUT most serviced and repaired body..

Old 06-27-2019   #3
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

I have two black paint MP's and they are my BEST cameras. So smooth, durable and haven't had a hiccup at any point. I hadn't heard any horror stories on the MP's, but for me it seems partly because they are mechanical and don't require batteries (except for metering), so there are fewer things to be worried about. As far as durability and paint wear, it takes some effort to really pull the paint off of the corners, edges, etc.. I have a little wear on mine, but nothing major and certainly nothing that bothers me at all. I've owned both of them for years and while one is nearly new, the other one has been used a bit more and shows it's age. That said I have nothing but praise for this line of Leica M's. I should also mention that I'm pretty careful with my gear too and like things clean and pretty. Already stressing an Xpan that I bought recently as I know the paint is known to flake off!

Old 06-27-2019   #4
Huss

If you dont want wear on your MP get the chrome version. Leica intentionally designed the black paint version to brass/wear relatively easily as most like that look.

Old 06-27-2019   #5
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
If you dont want wear on your MP get the chrome version. Leica intentionally designed the black paint version to brass/wear relatively easily as most like that look.
The MP wears very slow. I have one since 2002; the paint is glossy now but there is only very little brassing.

I know people that use sandpaper to get the MP brassy.

Erik.

Old 06-28-2019   #6
Mute-on

I bought a chrome 0.58 MP about 13 years ago. No mechanical issues whatsoever. It’s my favourite M overall. The M2 is a close second, the M4 a distant third. Chrome still totally flawless despite regular and careful use, including multiple overseas trips.

I still lust for a black paint MP, and would buy current production with no hesitation if I had the means and opportunity. You get a full warranty that you can rely on.

Your alternative is to buy second hand. However, you do run the risk of the early unsealed VF that gathers dust easily, and it will possibly require a CLA at further expense. Given the high prices of use MP, I would buy new.

Go ahead with your transaction, and go with the finish that appeals.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Cheers,

J

Old 06-28-2019   #7
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
I bought a chrome 0.58 MP about 13 years ago. No mechanical issues whatsoever. Itís my favourite M overall. The M2 is a close second

J
And I bought a BP .58 MP just about that long ago, with no issues at all. The brass is just recently starting to show at the edges. And I bought my M2 about 1960. The bright-line frames are not as good as they were new, and I have put a dent in it, and it needs a new cover. But it still works fine. It did have a CLA about 21 years ago.

No problems with a black chrome M7 I've had for about 10 years now.

Old 06-28-2019   #8
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

My 2012 black paint ALC MP is running fine. But so is my '59 M3. Survivor bias makes any comparison almost pointless. Cameras failing shortly after delivery is inexcusable, but that's not tenable grounds for such a comparison. Unless you time travel.