Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras

Voigtlander Bessa Leica Mount Cameras Made in Japan by Cosina in partnership with Voigtlander, the many modern Voigtlander Leica Screw Mount and Leica M mount bodies offer inexpensive and often unique options into entering the world of Leica rangefinder photography.

View Poll Results: Trigger winder vs side grip on R2
Side grip 57 41.30%
Trigger winder 38 27.54%
Keep it naked baby 32 23.19%
No comment 11 7.97%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

R2 - Side grip vs Trigger winder
Old 06-27-2005   #1
ent2b
SLR->DSLR->RF->Bankrupt

R2 - Side grip vs Trigger winder

Please vote/expound upon your choice. I am debating getting one or the other. I have very long fingers and sometimes i feel like the bottom 2 fingers are just left "hanging there".

Old 06-28-2005   #2
jmilkins
Digited User

wow - 100% for the side grip - and after only one vote.....(maths was always my strong point).

Seriously though, I use the side grip on the Bessa R3a and the Bessa L and I find it adds to the ergonomics (as does one of Gordon's leather straps).

If you shoot fast action the trigger winder is said to be good for up to 3 frames per second - with practice(!). However I've also read some reports of less- than - accurate frame alignment including some overlaps with the trigger winder used in earnest....

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Last edited by jmilkins : 06-28-2005 at 00:44.

Old 06-28-2005   #3
chug
I wear pants

I say keep it nekkid.. But if you find you could do with some more area to hold.. maybe the trigger winder would be a good idea

My FlickR site.
Photos

Old 06-28-2005   #4
ent2b
SLR->DSLR->RF->Bankrupt

i've tried the winder and it felt heavy. esp if i am traveling with a hiking pack. but, i obviously like the faster frame advancing. never tried the side grip, though, nor do i know of anyone who has one. heck, idk anyone else in my town with a bessa (not to say there isn't one).

Old 06-28-2005   #5
rover

Side grip due to the weight of the winder. I think it was a big plus when on my R2.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 06-28-2005   #6
Peter
Voigtlander Mann

I sold all my Voigtlander grips (including the Triggerwinder). I do not have big hands and the R2 fits well in my hands with the grips.

My RFF Gallery
My PBase Gallery

Old 06-28-2005   #7
sockeyed

I've had side grips on my R and now my R3A. Adds some weight, for sure, but I like the solid grip.

I use the bottom half of the ever-ready case on my Bessa L, and it provides good grip too (and some protection). That option should be in your poll as well.

Sockeyed Photo

Flickr

My Gallery

Old 06-28-2005   #8
ent2b
SLR->DSLR->RF->Bankrupt

thanks sockeyed. it doesn't add too much bulk though?

Old 06-28-2005   #9
JohnM

I have both the side grip and the trigger winder for my R3. (Whole mess is for sale, btw.)

I like the trigger winder, but day to day, the side grip is the better option. It adds the same grip with much less bulk. The winder allows the camera to hang vertically, which is a plus to me, but is is generally just that much more weight tugging at your neck.

If you need to take three frames a second, then I would say go for the winder.

If you don't, go for the side grip and save yourself the money and the weight.

Old 07-03-2005   #10
ent2b
SLR->DSLR->RF->Bankrupt

so based on you guys' recommendations, i went for a side grip from Terence. thanks everyone!

Old 07-03-2005   #11
shaaktiman

I have it. It's OK. I don't use it much because it doesn't fit in my coat pocket when it's on. Also, since it uses the tripod socket, you can't just leave it on if you plan of using a tripod ever. All in all, it's not the best accessory ever. But for $40 it's not terrible to have.

You can always order from adorama, and if you don't dig it (or scratch it) you can return it. (My life philosophy.)

adam

Old 07-03-2005   #12
GeneW

I've owned both and liked the side grip better than the trigger winder.

Gene

Old 07-04-2005   #13
ent2b
SLR->DSLR->RF->Bankrupt

Adam - i hear you about the tripod. that's why i wanted a unigrip, but they are no longer made and i missed buying the only one i've seen on here by a few seconds. plus, i have a bogen 488RC2 head on my tripod, so i'd have to buy another quick-release plate, etc.

gene - i'm hoping that's what i feel too!

Old 06-28-2007   #14
BillBingham2

I love the way the trigger winder allows me to hand the body (from one side). The side grip does not add an extra lug so for me it's not worth it.

Weight-wise the bessa winder is a feather compared to MOOLY or the rapidwinders that I have. I guess it's all relative.

B2 (;->

Old 06-28-2007   #15
PCB_RF

Both grip and winder add some weight and bulk. To me, that's the only downside.

I find the grip improves handling considerably. The body fits the hand better, allowing secure holding with less finger pressure; the body rests more in your right palm, and you're not consciously squeezing the body to keep it from slipping. Combine it with a wrist strap for fatigue-free one-handed holding: thumb behind wind lever, body/grip nestled in palm, the whole rig stabilized by the strap. I haven't found an RF body yet that didn't handle better with a grip, and I'm trying to figure out how to add a grip to my Canon 7S.

The winder is great for left-eyed shooters, allowing you to concentrate on the subject, without having to push the body away from your face to advance the film. I seldom use the winder for rapid firing, but it stays on the body because of the better handling. Having the Bessa Trigger Winder with built-in grip is kismet. If you are a compulsive focus ring tweaker, the transition from wind to focus can feel awkward until you get used to it. There's more back-and-forth action with the left fingers for sure.

I find a bottom grip improves the winder handling. The bottom grip nestles in your left palm, giving a more natural squeeze action on the trigger. This adds more bulk and weight to the package, but you can remove the winder in less than a minute to get back to basics.

I seldom take mine off, but I'm not sure whether I'd like it as much if I were right eye dominant.

I've never liked or understood hanging a body vertically---it just doesn't work for me. Takes longer to get the camera in my hand, the straps are always in the way.....I've tried, but can't get used to it. I understand some folks like it a lot, so I'm glad the winder gives you the option. The extra lug doesn't get in the way.

Old 06-28-2007   #16
biomed

The side grip is a definite plus. If you need to use a tripod add a 1/4 x 20 tripod socket. If you don't want to tackle this job, it can be done by any machinist. Have them use a threaded insert such as a helicoil. Also if you really want to hang the camera vertically, buy an extra side grip for the strap lug (they are threaded into the grip), and have the machinist install another strap lug in the appropriate place. The strap lug can also be made from a machine screw.

2019 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 06-29-2007   #17
Xmas

If you got long fingers try a bigger/different camera like the Canon P or VI series.

Noel

Old 07-02-2007   #18
Doug

I think attaching another (lower) strap lug on the Bessa side grip would leave too little room for fingers. The trigger winder has enough space because it's taller... Neither the Leica nor Zeiss-Ikon side grips have lower strap lugs either.

Old 07-02-2007   #19
fishtek
Don

I just got a great deal on a side grip. Dunno if it is any easier to hold than in the half-case, but the switch to the lug on the side grip DID make the camera hang straighter. I'll try the side grip with a wrist strap and see if it's an improvement. So far, I don't think paying retail would be a good idea, but MY price made it a nice option.

Regards!
Don

T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeryi0m/d...anassociation/

www.dmadson.photoreflect.com

Gallery

Old 07-02-2007   #20
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

I'd say get a side grip if you need a better grip. The trigger winder attempts to do something different, and on some Bessa models doesn't even seem to work very dependably. Main issues seem to be uneven frame spacing, with the occasional jam.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 07-02-2007   #21
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

I have the winder and like it for side hang it allows and for left eye using the viewfinder.

But do not think of it a motor drive. Some people say they achieve 3fps, and other people have jammed their camera this way.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 07-05-2007   #22
kshapero
Press the Shutter

I just got a side grip. it hangs beautifully plus it has a nice feel in my hand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-17-2007   #23
selma-1

Side grip. I use them on both of my R2S camera bodys.

Old 08-17-2007   #24
mike goldberg
The Peaceful Pacific

Side grip. I have one on my Bessa R and love it. Mike

Mikes Faves:

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/mik...7622599834937/

Old 08-27-2007   #25
dazedgonebye

Never tried the winder and I'm not interested in increased speed.
The side grip makes my R3A a pleasure to hold.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 09-05-2007   #26
andydrew

I have side grips on my r3a and my L. It suits my shooting style as I prefer to carry my cameras in my hand with a wrist strap; and the side grip gives me something more chunky to get my fingers around.

Old 10-03-2007   #27
mtbbrian
RF's ROCK!andFilm RULES!!

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun...
Thumbs up

Keep it naked baby!

Old 10-08-2007   #28
migtex
Don't eXchange Freedom!

Winder! My R2S rocks with it!
Camera FUN? <click>

Old 01-15-2008   #29
minoltist7
pussy photographer

the best grip for me is a naked camera in half-case

member gallery
me on flickr

Old 01-18-2008   #30
ElrodCod

If the side grip had two lugs I'd prefer it but it doesn't so I use the winder.

Old 12-03-2008   #31
Rayt

The Trigger winder isn't smooth at all compared to the beloved Rapidwinder. I actually like the heft though to counter balance bigger/heavier lenses. Without it the camera tilts forward which is annoying.

Old 12-04-2008   #32
serge`vl

Side grip, but built-in the half case, plus a wrist strap (for example, Luigi`s one: http://www.leicatime.com/BasicBessaBuiltInGripThreeFront.jpg )

In addition to the more comfort shooting, you get some extra body`s protection. Also, It looks perfectly J.

Old 12-20-2008   #33
silverliner

I have both and I always prefer the trigger winder. I put the side grip onto my R4A with 21/4 for the lightest possible weight and the grip adds some improvement for handholding since I have big hand.

Old 04-14-2009   #34
Jake06

Yes the side grip adds to ergonomics, but I like mine naked, it's lighter, smaller, more inconspicuous etc. The trigger winder, well if you're left handed that's fine but if you want speed, you probably should have bought a different camera..

On saying that, I've never had a side grip. It might be one of those things you get and instantly fall in love with...

Old 04-18-2009   #35
ruby.monkey

I prefer my Bessa with the trigger winder. Apart from the improved grip and easier wind-on, I like being able to carry the camera over my right shoulder, and having the strap attach at just one end keeps it out of the way when I bring the camera to my eye.

Old 03-13-2011   #36
Krosya
Konicaze

I had a thread a while back asking people about the trigger winder. And at the end decided to just try one. Having had a grip and a half case before on my Bessas, I much prefer the winder. And I dont even use it that much to wind film, but I like how it makes camera feel in my hands. More solid. Plus it covers the entire bottom and gives 2 tripod sockets. When I do use it to wind film - it's pretty cool too, just takes some getting used to. Never had any issues with frame spacing on 3 Bessas I used it. Lockups, from what I understand, result when people start to wind BEFORE shutter closed, usually happens with longer shutter speeds. So, if you are careful - no problems should come from it. So, all-in-all - I recommend it over the regular grip.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 07-22-2011   #37
Guaranteed

Lovin the side grip.

Old 07-22-2011   #38
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I have the trigger winder and I love it on my R2! I have large hands and the camera is incredibly comfortable for me. Even if I don't use the trigger, I love the balance and weight of the camera with winder. I'm quite happy with it.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 07-22-2011   #39
Doug

I have the trigger winder on the R4 and the sidegrip on the T, and I like both. But the winder does give more to hang onto, and I like it for that extra stability alone.

One problem is that I keep forgetting to use the trigger to wind, and that caused irregular frame spacing if I recall correctly. So I taped up the thumb wind to keep me from using it!

Old 07-22-2011   #40
ruby.monkey

I never had that problem with my old R3A plus trigger winder when using the wind-on lever; the only time I had frame-spacing issues was from yanking hard on the trigger winder, which would cause frames to overlap. I soon developed a pull-pause-release rhythm which cured that.