Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Longest you have waited to buy gear you really wanted?
24 hours 2 2.53%
2 weeks 5 6.33%
Months 21 26.58%
Years 36 45.57%
Decades 15 18.99%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Impulse control - How long did you wait?
Old 11-11-2017   #1
sreed2006

Impulse control - How long did you wait?

There is an old adage that if you see something expensive that you want to buy to make sure it is not an impulse purchase you should wait a couple weeks, and if you still want it, and can afford it, then go ahead and buy it.

I recently purchased a Nikon scanner that has been out of production for years and years - and I wanted it the whole time. I lucked out, too. It is in almost new condition.

What is the longest you have put off buying photographic gear that you have really wanted?

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 11-11-2017   #2
Jake Mongey

I waited about three weeks before buying my hasselblad 500EL and I regret nothing - apart from only having the 150mm lens but that will change

Old 11-11-2017   #3
Larry Cloetta

I had to choose 24 hours because there was no 20 minute option.

Old 11-11-2017   #4
Prest_400
Multiformat

I'd say months to years. My Medium format is in the Years range, from the idea of wanting it to actually getting a good cheap sample from Japan.
Even the Cheap F80 that has kicked the bucket (I need another body!) took quite some time since I thought It'd be useful to actually getting one. When decided, it took me about a week or so.

Not much of an impulse buyer.
In 2014 I thought it'd be a nice idea to buy a certain classic Jacket... forgot about it until last week, when I went looking for Nikon flashes, searched for the kind of jacket, and ended buying one in less than 24h.
Does that count as 24h or years?

Old 11-11-2017   #5
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Months to years before buying:
  • a Sony A7
  • a Mamiya RB67 Pro outfit
  • an Imacon Photo scanner
  • and re-purchasing the nickel Heliar 50mm 2.0 I once sold to fund camera gear I needed to make a living
And I needed to sell other stuff to fund those every time.

There used to be a time where it was weeks at most, but that is long gone by now, that's years ago...

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 11-11-2017   #6
sreed2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
Does that count as 24h or years?
I would say years - that's how long you put off purchasing it.

Are you happy with your purchase?

Old 11-11-2017   #7
sreed2006

This topic also interests me in a different way. When my kids were growing up, there were things to buy or places to go that they really wanted - but I just couldn't do right then. My response to them was often, "One of these days." Some took longer than others - but I did get around to all of them. Except the horse for my daughter when she was about 10; I never did get her a horse. Luckily she grew out of wanting one.

Old 11-11-2017   #8
f16sunshine

Still waiting.....

Old 11-11-2017   #9
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I wanted to buy a Hasselblad SWC for 35 years before finally screwing up the courage to write a check for $5000 in 2002. That was the most I had ever spent on a single piece of photographic equipment until I bought the Leica M9 in 2012.

I never regretted buying the SWC, I only regretted selling it three years later when I needed the money for another project. I corrected that error in 2013 by purchasing another SWC.

G

Old 11-11-2017   #10
Prest_400
Multiformat

I tend to be of the thoughtful type because there's a heavy opportunity cost in the decisions. Often is either/or; so got to choose. And a lot of bang for the buck.
In a few years when I hopefuly get more disposable income capability and such it may change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreed2006 View Post
I would say years - that's how long you put off purchasing it.

Are you happy with your purchase?
Jacket is still travelling with USPS. It's a Golden 49ers Bomber. Back then I thought it would be a novelty but I found a nice one for $20. I'll pair it with my SX70 in use.

Done worse on gear. Spent the same for some filters that I haven't used yet. Still waiting for some accessories that aren't mandatory or machines like a Rolleiflex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreed2006 View Post
This topic also interests me in a different way. When my kids were growing up, there were things to buy or places to go that they really wanted - but I just couldn't do right then. My response to them was often, "One of these days."
Making do with what's available sometimes becomes a definition of that time. And when things deviate from the ideal it can even better it. Specially on travel, I've been to places just because things didn't go the way they should have.

The idea of a move next year plus the $ needed by other things like trips and film does keep my focus away from Gear.

Important thought: Not putting off photography time with family/friends/special locations. Because some things tend to leave and wither...

Old 11-11-2017   #11
daveleo
what?

The longest for me has been months.
My average is more like weeks.
The most impulsive times were just a few minutes, but this is usually stuff < $100.

Old 11-11-2017   #12
peterm1

I generally wait a few weeks. Well no. Actually when I decide I "need" to buy something (yeh right - like "need" is the correct word) I wait about 10 seconds. But and here is the but. In the interests of me convincing myself I am being serious and responsible I go on the internet, research, agonize and reflect on it for a week or so or maybe a few months even (depending on the price involved and nature of the purchase). I try to convince myself I really really did need to make the purchase whereas the actual decision was made 10 seconds after the thought came into my head. I have never yet actually been successful in convincing myself of that, instead I realize now that I am just papering over the cracks in my psyche. Still, I can play the game.

It's the realization that we are all just weak, impulsive, irresponsible children wanting Christmas to come around. But hey that's human nature.

The wife does it with dresses. I do it with cameras. In fact we even play the same games - I buy some camera gear and sneak it into the house. I keep it out of her sight for a few weeks, sneaking away into my study now and then, to see it till she is suspicious and half convinced I have a secret lover I am emailing or phoning. Then eventually I casually bring it out. When she inevitably asks "Is that new". I can reply with a half clear conscience "No I have had it for ages". She is so relieved I am not having an affair she forgives me. She does the same with dresses. We both know the other is lying through their teeth but it keeps the peace in the house - a kind of mutually assured destruction if I can phrase it that way. Or a kind of domestic balance of terror if you will.

Seriously I usually mull over big purchases for some weeks or more. But I have been known to walk into a camera store, fall in love with something I like and buy it without thought. I kind of liken the former approach to the approach taken when deciding to marry. The latter approach is like a drunken decision to have a one night stand.

Old 11-11-2017   #13
Spanik

Depends. Some I really buy on impulse meaning immediately. Others I take years to commit. Like the 4x5. I really wanted to do that but waited years before buying a lens on an impulse. Saw it at a fair and bought it there and then. Took a couple of years before I got the camera to put it on.

Old 11-11-2017   #14
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I checked "years," but it has varied from weeks to years.

Old 11-11-2017   #15
Stuart John

Years, Leica M film body

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 11-11-2017   #16
sreed2006

Peterm1, that’s very entertaining.

As for the poll responses, I am relieved to see Years and Decades get some votes. I
don’t feel alone, now.

Old 11-11-2017   #17
michaelwj
----------------

I waited years (5?) to get my first Leica M film camera until I finally got so frustrated with my modern cameras that I traded them all in for an M6 with a 35mm lens.
The plan was to then get a 50mm and 21mm lenses which took 3 and 5 more years respectively to get around to (neither are still with me so I probably didn't really want/need them anyway)
I've always wanted a BP M4 (over 10 years), but my desire is waning and I likely won't ever get one so it doesn't count.

I voted years.

On the other hand, we bought our first house within a month of first thinking about it, so I am capable of making decisions quickly

Old 11-11-2017   #18
aizan

i basically went through the tripod buying process thom hogan wrote about. it took 2 years until i finally bit the bullet.

lesson learned: just buy the damn gitzo (or rrs).

Old 11-11-2017   #19
wes loder
Photographer/Historian

Looked for and started wanting the Model I bellows for the Nikon RF cameras back in 1973. Pretty much got away from serious photography while children were growing up. In 2004 found one on ebay and grabbed it for $86. So, yes, decades. WES

Old 11-11-2017   #20
JeffS7444

For stuff that I really want, which seems to make sense, and which seems like it'd be useful, As Soon As Possible! No one lives forever. But I do like having the cash beforehand and stopped buying camera gear on credit years ago. Okay, sometimes it can take months for me to actually part with said cash.

When I delay purchases for years, it's usually because they seem iffier, like they'll see only occasional use, might be a passing fancy, or just don't seem very important. Many are deferred indefinitely (Which is the point! "Huh? Why did I want THAT?")

Old 11-11-2017   #21
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I had the chance to buy a Beseler 45MCRX from my teacher a couple of years outside of high school...I finally got one this year...
pf

It depends, it could be minutes or decades
Old 11-12-2017   #22
Tim Murphy

It depends, it could be minutes or decades

Dear sreed,

I waited over 35 years to repurchase a Canon F-1. When I was a teenager I bought a used one from a neighbor and used it for several years. I eventually traded it on a Canon A-1 which unfortunately I never really liked. I traded that on a TV.

This Spring I found a Canon F-1 at shopgoodwill and bought it.

Right now I am debating over whether to get a Panasonic G85. They are on sale for $ 447.99 with a 12-60 OIS lens. I want to get a M4/3's camera but I also need to replace the wife's laptop computer so I think I'll just go to Best Buy in a couple of hours to do that and let the camera go for now.

Edited to say the ad I was viewing is confusing. The G85 camera with the 12-60 is $ 997.99. They have text in the ad with a price of $ 447.99 but that is for an additional 55-200 lens. I'm thoroughly confused now so I'll stick with the plan to buy the wife a laptop and wait on any camera update.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 11-12-2017   #23
sreed2006

Tim,

It is interesting how purchasing other things becomes more important - for years at a time. Then, finally one day, it all comes together.

Regards,
Sid

Old 11-12-2017   #24
zuiko85

Decades, near retirement. A Leica M4-2. And then....I found out I just was not a RF kind of person, still like my beat up OM-1 more. Go figure.

Old 11-12-2017   #25
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

You forgot to add several choices.

"Forever" or "A lifetime"
Though I wouldn't mind having one that's probably how long it will be before I own a Leica.
As an amateur I just can't see myself ever buying any camera that costs more than my car.

"Immediately" or "No time"
eBay had folks like me in mind when they created "Buy It Now".

Chris

Old 11-12-2017   #26
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
eBay had folks like me in mind when they created "Buy It Now".

Chris
At the end of Summer I lost a couple interesting auctions. You had this 3-6 day waiting time but at the end there was a bid war and, being more controlled, lost. I think it was good for not getting more stuff than needed.

Old 11-12-2017   #27
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

To be honest, I have no gear to really want it. I already have cameras I like and some lenses I like. But if I have money after sale of the gear, I buy another gear. This is it.
And I'm total loser on it. In 90% I'm getting next lens in no time and in next few weeks here are better lenses.

Old 11-12-2017   #28
jsrockit

Completely depends on the price...

Old 11-13-2017   #29
willie_901

It might take me two weeks to a month to do some research and mull things over.

But once I make the decision I'm a 24 hr or less away from the purchase (or deposit).

Money was never an issue because I either sold other stuff, had no other hobby expenses (sad!) or was making money doing gigs.

Compared to flying, sailboats and vintage Porsches, photography is inexpensive.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-13-2017   #30
Larry Cloetta

I think the answer might depend on how you understand the question. If you REALLY want it, you've already done the research. Regarding the expense side of the equation, if it is considered, the longer you wait, the worse value it becomes. You have "x" time alotted for your life. Buy it now, use it forever. Wait years, and hardly get to use it at all, which makes it the worst possible value. Plus your eyesight is worse and you can't focus it, or your back is bad and you can't carry it (see the current geezer thread).
If you're not sure, that's different, but if you REALLY want it, buy it today, geez.

Old 11-13-2017   #31
lynnb

The amount of time it takes me seems to be in direct proportion to the format size.. for no apparent reason.
Flickr

Old 11-13-2017   #32
Rayt

I waited years for my first Leica - an M6 with 50mm Summicron.

Old 11-13-2017   #33
ruby.monkey

"Wait"?

Old 11-13-2017   #34
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

There is a Chinese saying: "Time is the best weapon."

I'm still waiting for the time when I will have a darkroom, and have been making negatives for wet printing for over a decade.

I bought a Leica SL one year after it's release and was forced to wait over a year after that for the 50 Lux-SL autofocus lens to be available, and then I had to wait another 5 months on a waiting list.

Recently I was invited to be part of a camera focus group. So now I know insider info that I can't talk about. I know the future, I handled prototypes, I saw plans on proposed cameras, and was asked what camera I would want and with what features. Pretty much I had say in having my own camera built especially for me with the layout, controls, and features that were good for me.

Perhaps this camera will be released in a year and a half, or two, or three years, and I already want one. Because of confidentiality I have to keep all of this secrete. Know that this is the worse GAS ever, but I have to ask, "Is this my dream come true?"

Cal

Old 11-13-2017   #35
giganova

Some people make decisions quickly, others contemplate for a long time. When my wife and I go grocery shopping, I go through the isles very fast and put things I need into the shopping cart. Usually, when I am done shopping 10 minutes later, my wife is still looking at the first item she saw. But when she knows what she wants, she can be surprisingly quick: we went to the BMW dealer the other day and less than 2 minutes into the showroom, my wife points at a car and says "I want this!". An hour later we drove home in her new BMW convertible.

Old 11-13-2017   #36
benlees

I research available options (any place it might be for sale). Figure out what I want for the price I want to pay. Then I wait. If it takes longer than 2 works something in my methodology is faulty. Is my budget not matching the market? Do I really want something else?

I always buy used stuff, and as such, am generally flexible in terms of superficialities. May main concern is: does it work. The risk of the potential pitfalls is part of the fun.

Old 11-14-2017   #37
Cyriljay

I never wait I if I have enough money to pay at once. I bought my first Hasselblad 203FE on credit and i had Part exchanged two other cameras systems with lot of lenses. I plan and wait sometimes few months. I am now waiting so long to buy my next M Monochrome.

Old 11-14-2017   #38
SteveM

If I need something for a purpose, I research it and buy relatively quickly. If I see something that triggers GAS, I wait, trying to convince myself that I don't really need it - and hope it sells before I weaken (most camera gear I buy is used).

Steve

MF : Bronica RF645, Ercona II, Franka Solida IIIe

Old 11-14-2017   #39
jszokoli

I go from extreme to extreme. Sometimes I can't wait, and walk into B&H to get something. Talk about immediate gratification. Other times I've waited decades. I've wanted a 4x5 camera since the early 80's and just got setup this year; what is that 35 years...

Joe

Old 11-14-2017   #40
sreed2006

35 years! Are you sure you really want it? :-)