Two Leicas, Two wrists?
Old 09-11-2017   #1
dugrant153

Two Leicas, Two wrists?

With shoulder problems causing me to not be able to bear much camera load, I've been looking at alternatives for quick shooting with my Leica M6 and Leica CL.

I have them on shoulder straps but find that it causes me to hunch my shoulders to keep them up and eventually that causes a lot of pain for me.

I've considered maybe having one leica on one wrist and the other one the other wrist via camera wrist straps. Has anyone done this successfully? My fear is having them smack into one another as I reach for one while ... well, you get the picture.

Old 09-11-2017   #2
ruby.monkey

Can you wear the M6 round your neck and keep the CL on your wrist or in a pocket?

Old 09-11-2017   #3
dugrant153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Can you wear the M6 round your neck and keep the CL on your wrist or in a pocket?
My neck is also a bad punching point for me... but I have thought about that.

Old 09-11-2017   #4
ruby.monkey

Bandoleer strap, or wear the M6 diagonally on a long strap across your chest? Jacket with deep pockets? Your own personal camera-carry midget?

Old 09-11-2017   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

If it doesn't work for around the neck as well you could get two belt bags, keep them open and have safety stripe attached for each camera.

If you will go for wrist strap, make sure you'll get one with o-ring to make it tight around your wrist. Without it camera is to be dropped sooner or later. I knew for sure.
Another method is to have regular neck, shoulder strap, but to keep camera in old style camera bag and use one camera at one time by making several turns of the strap between wrist and elbow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDSG...tu.be&t=20m33s

Old 09-11-2017   #6
Peter Jennings

While doing a lot of hiking back in the 90s, fanny packs were hot thing and I used them all the time. Today, however, it is decidedly uncool. If the uncool-ness doesn't bother you (as it really shouldn't) I think a nice waist bag would be the best option. Or perhaps a kind of holster like for a gun?

I understand your situation. I have two herniated disks in my neck, so neck straps are definitely out of the question for me. Fortunately, shoulder straps don't bother me.

Old 09-11-2017   #7
ptpdprinter

Have you considered using just one camera on a wrist strap?

Old 09-11-2017   #8
dugrant153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jennings View Post
While doing a lot of hiking back in the 90s, fanny packs were hot thing and I used them all the time. Today, however, it is decidedly uncool. If the uncool-ness doesn't bother you (as it really shouldn't) I think a nice waist bag would be the best option. Or perhaps a kind of holster like for a gun?

I understand your situation. I have two herniated disks in my neck, so neck straps are definitely out of the question for me. Fortunately, shoulder straps don't bother me.
I actually have a setup where I have two small bags attached to a Thinktank belt that allow me to put one in while I grab out the other. It's like a fanny pack for the 2000s.
It works OK but a bit cumbersome if the bag isn't left open, leaving the cameras open to a quick theft..... although if I can tether them to the bags then that'll stop that.

Quote:
Your own personal camera-carry midget?
My cat refuses to carry my cameras. The M6 with the 35mm F1.2 is kind heavy anyways. He'll just roll around until I take it off...

Old 09-11-2017   #9
aizan

you need a holdfast moneymaker:

Old 09-11-2017   #10
ptpdprinter

Looks like an SNL skit.

Old 09-11-2017   #11
dugrant153

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
you need a holdfast moneymaker:

Thought about that route but not sure if the Leicas can be held via the tripod mount on the bottom plate. Afraid of torqueing the bottom plate or having it slip off while I'm running with the cameras?

Old 09-11-2017   #12
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Maybe a couple of these?:
http://www.dagcamera.com/store/p116/..._M_Models.html

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 09-11-2017   #13
aizan

just send them an email. i'm sure they can swap out the tripod mount attachment for something that will work with strap lugs.

Old 09-11-2017   #14
Huss

Try this

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/0...ra-bag-review/

Old 09-11-2017   #15
raid
Dad Photographer

I would keep things basic and simple.
How about having the smaller camera in your hands while having the larger camera around your neck? I do this differently. I carry a light camera bag with me. One camera stays inside the camera bag until I really need somehow two cameras to be ready for taking photos.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-11-2017   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
With shoulder problems causing me to not be able to bear much camera load, I've been looking at alternatives for quick shooting with my Leica M6 and Leica CL.

I have them on shoulder straps but find that it causes me to hunch my shoulders to keep them up and eventually that causes a lot of pain for me.

I've considered maybe having one leica on one wrist and the other one the other wrist via camera wrist straps. Has anyone done this successfully? My fear is having them smack into one another as I reach for one while ... well, you get the picture.
Honestly, it might be time to just go out with one Leica CL on your wrist until you feel better.

Old 09-11-2017   #17
ktmrider

Or perhaps a small digital zoom which would allow various focal lengths and jpegs for both black and white or color.

Or as already suggested, just carry the CL for awhile with an extra lens in a pocket.

Old 09-11-2017   #18
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

How about putting one camera in a belt pack or photo vest pocket, and the other on a short hand strap? I think having a camera in each hand is a bad idea. One in the hand, and one readily accessible is a better idea.

Old 09-11-2017   #19
Steve M.

Unless you can find something that lets you slip the cameras into a holster like a handgun, I would just go w/ using the CL on a wide strap. The CL's weigh close to nothing, and unless you have a huge 90 Summicron hung on it, I can't see it bothering you. The M cameras on the other hand are considerably heavier.

Old 09-11-2017   #20
Rayt

It is not easy to get your camera off your wrist in a hurry but other than that you can carry the second camera in a front facing fanny pack. Something in the spirit of an CL/40 or one of the Bessas with a skopar would fit the bill.

You are not going to able to hold a camera steady with a heavy object like a second camera dangling off your other wrist.

Old 09-11-2017   #21
presspass
filmshooter

The bandolier idea will work - it did for David Douglas Duncan during the Korean War - or try Upstraps. They don't slip at all.

Old 09-14-2017   #22
dugrant153

So it seems any sort of heavy loading on my shoulders will tire them out after a while.
Was going to double wrist but sometimes I need to use my hands to make motions for things or pick up other things and having the Leicas swinging around while I do so would be.... disastrous.

I do have a grippy Think Tank shoulder strap that's been on my Leica M6 for a while and I really like it. Maybe if I can adapt this to the CL as well and go for lightweight lenses, I'll be alright (love the 35mm F1.2 CV lens but the weight... oh gosh...)

Ultimately, I'm going to consider a dual holster belt setup since it seems that, after too much sitting at a desk and then carrying heavy cameras, I've ruined my shoulders

Will keep you all posted.