Old 10-16-2018   #41
maddoc
... likes film.

I like the orientation of the VF baffle, upright. The first time I see that orientation in a Leica VF, even the half-frame M4-P did have a horizontal oriented VF baffle.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-16-2018   #42
aizan

this question might be obvious:

if the thumb grip/rear dial was added to replace the grippiness that was once supplied by the film advance lever, why is it still there now that the lever has been put back on?

Old 10-17-2018   #43
Doug

On my M2 the film advance lever moves easily and smoothly and provides no perceptible "grippiness" for holding. It just moves too easily for that, and so I've liked and preferred a front grip for a secure hold. The M-D rear dial bump is reminiscent of a Thumbie but on a very minor scale so I again use a front grip there. If the M10-D is real, I'll assume the wind lever functions to cock the shutter as on the Epson... nice retro touch!

Old 10-17-2018   #44
DavidKKHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
this question might be obvious:

if the thumb grip/rear dial was added to replace the grippiness that was once supplied by the film advance lever, why is it still there now that the lever has been put back on?
The thumb dial had a function on the first M-D, so I reckon it'll have a similar function on the M10-D as well.

Also, I'm guessing from a production tooling point of view, maybe it's just easier to keep the overall shape of the camera identical to the regular M10.

-----

I'm puzzled as to why the on/off switch has been moved from the index finger to the back of the camera. Ergonomically it makes more sense to have the on/off switch by the index finger?

Old 10-17-2018   #45
bhop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
On my M2 the film advance lever moves easily and smoothly and provides no perceptible "grippiness" for holding. It just moves too easily for that, and so I've liked and preferred a front grip for a secure hold. The M-D rear dial bump is reminiscent of a Thumbie but on a very minor scale so I again use a front grip there. If the M10-D is real, I'll assume the wind lever functions to cock the shutter as on the Epson... nice retro touch!
Not sure how you're holding it, but all of my film cameras with an advance lever gives an bit of extra grip with the lever pulled out. It's smooth, sure, but the grippiness comes from your thumb being 'hooked' around it.

Old 10-17-2018   #46
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

That thumb wind is like buying a ferrari and hitching it to a horse.

Old 10-17-2018   #47
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

In the 2nd pic with EVF, the winding lever is blocked by the EVF. If this image is real, I wonder what the lever is for.

Would be interesting if using lever to re-cock the mechanical shutter resulting in even quieter shutter release.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 10-17-2018   #48
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
Not sure how you're holding it, but all of my film cameras with an advance lever gives an bit of extra grip with the lever pulled out. It's smooth, sure, but the grippiness comes from your thumb being 'hooked' around it.
Yeah, that's how all my advance lever film cameras work. I like the extra grip of the pulled out lever against my thumb.

Not sure, if the whole point of this camera is to be somewhat "retro", why they'd throw an EVF on it, but I agree, it certainly looks like it would block the tip of the advance lever.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-17-2018   #49
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
When I started in photography, or even just a couple years ago, I never would have imagined that Leica would be making BW-only and digital cameras without screens, while Fuji was dropping most of their namesake products.
What do you mean in regards to Fuji?

Old 10-17-2018   #50
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
That thumb wind is like buying a ferrari and hitching it to a horse.
More like buying a Ferrari with a manual transmission.

Those were the days..
At least Porsche still offers that option. And this Leica is German, like Porsche..

Old 10-17-2018   #51
a.noctilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
I like the orientation of the VF baffle, upright. The first time I see that orientation in a Leica VF, even the half-frame M4-P did have a horizontal oriented VF baffle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Is they viewfinder not turned the wrong way round looks like it only shoots uprights?
Just had a look at my M10 VF in front of white surface, it looks like that on the picture show.

Odd but real .

Old 10-17-2018   #52
Emile de Leon

Interesting...!

Old 10-17-2018   #53
analoged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
When I started in photography, or even just a couple years ago, I never would have imagined that Leica would be making BW-only and digital cameras without screens, while Fuji was dropping most of their namesake products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
What do you mean in regards to Fuji?
I'm assuming he's talking about Fuji discontinuing their film products.

IIIasync, 5cm Summar, 5cm Sonnar, 3.5cm Elmar, 13.5cm Sonnar

Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1

Old 10-17-2018   #54
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoged View Post
My digital cameras say Fujifilm on them for some reason. Well, before I taped over the logos.

Old 10-17-2018   #55
iaeaix

If they want to pick up that idea from Epson R-D1, why not earlier?
Come on, Leica.

Old 10-17-2018   #56
peterm1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9FfI4-oRDo

Old 10-18-2018   #57
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeaix View Post
Come on, Leica.
Still better than never?

Old 10-18-2018   #58
Mr_Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeaix View Post
Come on, Leica.
Patents Perhaps?

Epson only dropped service for the R-D1 and R-D1s a year or so ago, didn't they?

Old 10-18-2018   #59
robert blu
quiet photographer

Not sure if this is real or "fake" but it doesn't matter! Soon or later a new version, Monochrome or D of the M10 will arrive on the market.
Maybe I'll like it but...unfortunately no budget allocated for a new expensive camera !

robert
PS: anyway I'm among the ones who say good to have different new versions so long they are not "only cosmetic"

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 10-18-2018   #60
FujiLove

FFS. Just shoot some film damnit.

Old 10-18-2018   #61
Bobfrance
Over Exposed

In other news, the next generation of electric cars are going to be fitted with a decorative cranking handle on the front so nostalgic types can turn it and wistfully imagine they're toad of toad hall...

Old 10-18-2018   #62
mcfingon
Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Not sure if this is real or "fake" but it doesn't matter! Soon or later a new version, Monochrome or D of the M10 will arrive on the market.
Maybe I'll like it but...unfortunately no budget allocated for a new expensive camera !

robert
PS: anyway I'm among the ones who say good to have different new versions so long they are not "only cosmetic"
I'm with you robert on thinking it's a good thing that Leica are bringing out variations on the theme. I believe it is for real and I know even more certainly that I really don't have the money for it. You should be able to shoot a lot more shots on a battery charge if there's no LCD and you are providing the energy for the shutter cocking. An environmentalist's M10?
John Mc

Old 10-18-2018   #63
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Well yes ...

Old 10-18-2018   #64
Bobfrance
Over Exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
I'm with you robert on thinking it's a good thing that Leica are bringing out variations on the theme. I believe it is for real and I know even more certainly that I really don't have the money for it. You should be able to shoot a lot more shots on a battery charge if there's no LCD and you are providing the energy for the shutter cocking. An environmentalist's M10?
John Mc
Seems unlikely to make much difference. My Nikon F80 (autofocus, film SLR with electronic shutter) will run for months on a couple of AA batteries, so a shutter can't be that much of a drain.

And and LCD doesn't need to be turned on anyway.

Old 10-18-2018   #65
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoged View Post
Yeah.

Why didn't FUJIFILM behave as KODAK behaved? What were they thinking?
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-18-2018   #66
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
This is for people who want the closest thing to a film camera, but with a digital sensor.

But I'm with you, I shoot film.

Old 10-18-2018   #67
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
John Mc
Shutter cocking is not eating much if any battery power - old school motorized cameras like the Hexar RF can run 140 rolls on a two tiny CR2s, which is thousands of pictures - and that is cocking a shutter and winding/rewinding film. On a digital, the power draw is the processing.

Dante

Old 10-18-2018   #68
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
Shutter cocking is not eating much if any battery power - old school motorized cameras like the Hexar RF can run 140 rolls on a two tiny CR2s, which is thousands of pictures - and that is cocking a shutter and winding/rewinding film. On a digital, the power draw is the processing.
I am really hoping that it is a fake photo.

Old 10-18-2018   #69
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfrance View Post
In other news, the next generation of electric cars are going to be fitted with a decorative cranking handle on the front so nostalgic types can turn it and wistfully imagine they're toad of toad hall...
Ha!
If true, an utterly pointless folly for folk with too much money...

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 10-18-2018   #70
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

For the modest sum of only $3000 USD, I will happily provide your digital Leica with a lever that you can hook your thumb around. I can even turn it into the on/off switch like a lot of older film bodies for an extra $2000.

I also know where to find the best vegan "cheesesteak" in Philly, seeing as this is the very same analogy.

I'd like to see Leica make a dedicated 35mm film scanner that can beat the pants off of anything out there. They won't and I wouldn't buy it if they did, but it would show some interest in keeping the film market alive.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-18-2018   #71
Rayt

Well I don’t care why other people buy what they buy. The market will decide whether this was ill conceived or not. I personally like features that are helpful for picture taking. I’ll admit nothing is absolutely essential including the RF and the meter but they are nice to have around.

Old 10-18-2018   #72
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalK View Post
"The first leaked pictures of the Leica M10-D camera show that the new M model without LCD screen will have an advance lever, but it is not clear what it will be used for:"

I'm hoping it will be to advance/cock the shutter (like the R-D1).
It could be to operate a dynamo that generates electricity to charge a rechargeable battery, like the crank on my Midland emergency weather radio. (Probably not.)

I like the lever advance. I'd rather have it than the loud "Glock-ZZZTT" of my M9. But I expect an LCD screen on a digital. Well, if they ever make a digital Minox in the shape of the film ones (what was the model number--Minox B, I think) there would be no place for a screen, and that would be OK. But a Leica should have a screen. It's nice to see what you are doing.

Old 10-18-2018   #73
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Half-frame M4-P? I wasn't aware there was one. I recall there was a half-frame Barnack.

Old 10-18-2018   #74
Fjäll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Half-frame M4-P? I wasn't aware there was one. I recall there was a half-frame Barnack.

Old 10-18-2018   #75
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Wow, thanks for that. I've never even heard it mentioned before!

Old 10-18-2018   #76
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
I also know where to find the best vegan "cheesesteak" in Philly, seeing as this is the very same analogy.
would that be blackbird pizzeria or wiz kid?

Old 10-18-2018   #77
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I am really hoping that it is a fake photo.
Why? They are still making the other cameras.

Don't like, don't buy. If they have found a market - and if this thing is real I guarantee they will - good for them. They are a business.

I still wish that they would care to put money into their service dept which is a complete joke. That is what is preventing me from buying another new Leica.

Old 10-18-2018   #78
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Enabling the FOTOS app on this camera seems beside the point. If you want to preview your photos, just get the regular M10 instead of juggling the camera with your phone.
Darlings,
I am a working journo-woman and I using my phone as the light table. I shoot Fuji X100F and Nikon D3. I before took laptop computer, then iPad, and now just Fuji, Nikon, and iPhone plus with 256gb memory.

So liberating! Shoot, transfer, edit, caption, and email to editorial, right from the front of the bearded fool's press conference!

Ciao from Roma!

Old 10-19-2018   #79
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post
Darlings,
I am a working journo-woman and I using my phone as the light table. I shoot Fuji X100F and Nikon D3. I before took laptop computer, then iPad, and now just Fuji, Nikon, and iPhone plus with 256gb memory.

So liberating! Shoot, transfer, edit, caption, and email to editorial, right from the front of the bearded fool's press conference!

Ciao from Roma!
How do you transfer D3 files to the iphone. Only the X100F has wifi (and its not great)

Old 10-19-2018   #80
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
would that be blackbird pizzeria or wiz kid?
Govinda's Vegetarian, on the SW corner of South and Broad. I used to eat food from there all the time when I worked down the street at Via Bicycle. After that is the Royal Tavern.
Granted, I'm not vegan, nor vegetarian. We don't cook much meat at home though so we call ourselves defacto vegetarians.

Anyway, the analogy still stands. If you want to eat something that tastes like meat and is called some meat dish name (the stuff in a cheesteak was possibly meat at one time,) then eat meat. If you want to shoot a camera that looks like a film camera and acts like a film camera, down to the winder lever and controls and gives you images that look like film, then shoot film. It's a lot cheaper than chasing the film look with digital, especially when talking about Leica.

Phil Forrest