Old 11-13-2017   #41
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Shall I get a Hasselblad?

What would you do?
I decided to get a 6x7cm fixed-lens medium format rangefinder otherwise known as the "Texas Leica."

Rangefinders by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 11-13-2017   #42
Tijmendal
Young photog

Go travelling. Your gear is fine.

Old 11-13-2017   #43
giganova

John -- you never ask others for their opinion before you make a decision? I find this thread very informative because I hear ideas I haven't thought of before.

Old 11-13-2017   #44
NaChase

Mamiya 7II

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 11-13-2017   #45
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Buy new energy sufficient freezer and buy film. It is only going to be more expensive and less made. Yet, you will need more, because digital gear is sold.
Do you print, do you scan? Buy, update this part.
How long time ago cameras were serviced? Maybe it is better to send them now, because you will use it more after selling of digital gear.

If I would be in same situation, I'll safe more, sell one M4 and get M10.
I have M-E for one year by now and it has grown on me like none of the digital cameras I have.
With SLR and DSLR it was never like now with film M and digital M.

Old 11-13-2017   #46
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I just got dental work done that cost about that...

Old 11-13-2017   #47
jsrockit

A Contact T3 goes for about $1800 these days!! hahaha

Old 11-13-2017   #48
pepeguitarra

Get a Rolleiflex 2.8F and you will be the happiest person in the world.

Old 11-13-2017   #49
lefou
fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel Fokkema View Post
I'd book a trip to Venice or Istanbul.
Winner winner

Old 11-13-2017   #50
emraphoto

cle and vc 40
coolscan 5000 with sa-21
freezer full of hp5

Old 11-13-2017   #51
ornate_wrasse

Like many others, I'm of the opinion that you should use the money to buy a medium format camera. I'm going to recommend a Mamiya 6, not because I have one and love this camera (which I do), but because it fills your bill very nicely. You could buy a complete system, i.e. Mamiya 6 camera, 50mm, 75mm and 150mm lenses (all lenses made for this camera) and the total to purchase everything would be less than $1,800. I haven't used the 150mm lens, however, the 50mm lens for this camera is honestly to die for. The 75mm is no slouch either. But I'm at the point where I use the 50mm lens pretty much whenever I take the camera out, it's that sharp. The negatives, as you might expect, are huge in comparison to 35mm negatives. It's a real treat to make prints from these negatives. The camera is light in weight, so is easy to carry around all day if needed. The shutter is very quiet, in comparison to others that are far louder. The feature I like a lot with the Mamiya 6, is that it folds up so that it is more slender than when fully extended so it fits in a smaller camera bag quite easily.

If you feel comfortable with selling one of your M cameras, then I would purchase a 35mm Leica lens for your camera and just go out shooting in the dodgy environment with one lens. Thus, you wouldn't need another camera that has a different lens attached to it.

That's my two cents.

Ellen

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 11-13-2017   #52
pepeguitarra

In that case, buy a Pentax 645 with 4 lenses for less than $800. I have it and I love it. The same goes for a Pentax 6x7 with 4 lenses, probably less than $1,200.

Pentax 645 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

13-UltrafineXtreme100-011 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Pentax 6x7 + SMC Tak 105/2.4 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Tall Ship in San Diego by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Old 11-13-2017   #53
f16sunshine

Having viewed and admired your images.
I would recommend a Twin Lens reflex to see what else your eye finds.
There really is something different about a TLR.
Rollei gets all the glory and money but there are other option.
You could get Rolleicord or Minolta Autocord and still have $1600 to contemplate spending.
Square is cool!

Old 11-13-2017   #54
Rayt

I like Leica RF for the convenience of a small package with optics of utmost quality and characteristics. But the small negatives will always be the weak point and there is nothing to improve on it. In the end I went for real estate. Rolleiflex TLR! If you want lens choice then go for Hasselblad. A 6x6 full frame wet print on 8x10, 11x14 paper is just another world.

Old 11-13-2017   #55
f16sunshine

^^^^^^ Yes!

Old 11-14-2017   #56
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Why not fit out a darkroom with a proper enlarger or else buy a fridge, fit a lock on it and fill it with film while we still have a wide choice of film?

Regards, David

Old 11-14-2017   #57
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod2001 View Post
if MF, then Makina 67(0), much nicer to carry around than a Mamiya 6/7 or a Hassi, kind of a Contax T3 in medium format
What a bunch of woofters.

Get a Linhof Technika 70. It'll save you a fortune in gym fees.

Old 11-14-2017   #58
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
cle and vc 40
freezer full of hp5
Not a bad idea...

Old 11-14-2017   #59
mod2001
Old school modernist

regarding freezer solely for film, any recommendations?

Jürgen

Old 11-14-2017   #60
David Hughes
David Hughes

My recommendation is never to store food in the fridge. One day the door slammed and the Worcester sauce bottle fell over and some got to the film. Luckily they were all boxed and the plastic tub saved them...

Regards, David

Old 11-14-2017   #61
giganova

Fantastic suggestions and a lot to think about and digest!

I am surprised that so many of you recommend a medium format camera, especially on a rangefinder forum. I am wondering, if I had asked my question on a MF forum, would they have suggested a large format wet plate camera?

A MF camera would be a big departure from my "small, quick & stealthy" rangefinder approach of photography, a different workflow, and would entail buying a new scanner. I just can't seem to figure out how a MF camera would make my photography better (other than better image quality). It's all about what you can do with a camera, and I suspect that a MF camera would restrict me instead of opening up new venues to explore.

Old 11-14-2017   #62
ptpdprinter

Quote:
I just can't seem to figure out how a MF camera would make my photography better (other than better image quality).
Isn't that enough?

Old 11-14-2017   #63
brennanphotoguy

It sounds like you're happy with your current setup. Maybe swap one of the two lenses if you find that you need the speed. If I was in your position and didn't need a faster lens then I'd buy a lot of film and a better scanner. If you're more than stocked up on film and are content with your scanner then I'd buy a lot of film and travel a little bit.

Old 11-14-2017   #64
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Isn't that enough?
For me, it isn't. If I didn't like film grain (to some extent) I would go digital. In my opinion, a camera has to enable me to explore my artistic expression as a photographer, not restrict me.

I have to admit, though, that what some photographers do with MF cameras is amazing. I'm thinking about Michael Kenna's Hokkaido photos. But I'll never get up at 5AM to make pictures of an ice cold frozen sea in the winter. Bruce Davidson's "100th Street" and even Bruce Guilden's "Faces" work are stunning, and both are enabled by the fine details captured by MF cameras (either analog or digital). So maybe I could see myself incorporating more portraiture into my work, which clearly is where MF shines.

Old 11-15-2017   #65
KEH

Pretty sure I saw a Fuji GF670 on Adorama the other day. Wonderful camera and a real eye-opener compared to 35mm.

Cheers,
Kirk

Old 11-15-2017   #66
narsuitus

Quote:
I am surprised that so many of you recommend a medium format camera, especially on a rangefinder forum.
Many people automatically equate rangefinders with smallness. Let us not forget that there are medium format rangefinders.

Rangefinders by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 11-16-2017   #67
ruby.monkey

Alternatively: keep what you have, find a muse, and spend the money on absinthe and opium.

Old 11-16-2017   #68
robert blu
quiet photographer

If you like film photography how about darkroom equipment?
Maybe you already have it...just an idea to close the circle from shooting to printing...
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-17-2017   #69
Nokton48

Hasselblads are grossly undervalued. If you like normal lenses you could not do any better than the 80mm F2.8 Planar. And it is portable.

I put all my Hasselblad equipment away for about ten years. Now I am rediscovering it.
What a great system camera.

Old 11-17-2017   #70
Huss

get 275 of these
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tml?sts=pi-cat

Old 11-17-2017   #71
giganova

I narrowed my choices down to either a Hasselblad 501 C/M or a Mamiya RZ67. The Mamyias cost significantly less than the Hassis (with a standard lens). So I could get a Mamiya with a scanner for much less than a Hassi alone. I checked out some comparison photos and it seems like there isn't much of a difference in picture quality, if any. Admittedly, the Mamiyas are bigger and heavier, but since they are both BIG & heavy to begin with, it doesn't really make much of a difference. Plus I get the benefit of 6x7 instead of 6x6, which is more useful for landscape photography, and the bellows allows for close-ups. The Fuji GW690 is tempting as well (6x9, yum!) and not too expensive ($700-ish), but more limited with the fixed lens and not being able to swap magazines when I'm in the middle of shooting. I am totally loving the minimalistic Makina Plaubel 67, but I can't seem to find one that is within my budget. Boils down to Hassi or Mamyia?

Hasselblad 501C/M + 80/2.8 : $1,500
Mamiya RZ67 + 90/3.5 $700 + Epson V600 $210 + Betterscanning negative holder $80 = $1,000

Old 11-17-2017   #72
ruby.monkey

The RZ is a stellar camera system, but the Hasselblad is appreciably more compact and far easier to carry:

hassie_rz by Jean-Yves, on Flickr

Even if you use the RZ's WLF it's still a chunky beast.

Not so obvious, but the Hassie hangs vertically on its strap and so can be slung over one's shoulder and kept well out of the way. The RZ sling is almost perfectly designed to give one backache - to the point where I tend to carry mine in a bag or just with the L-grip. I would also strongly advise that you use the L-grip. The Hasselblad sits nicely in the hand when shooting with the WLF, but I find the RZ's body too broad to hold comfortably and steadily in the same manner.

Also bear in mind that the 500C/M (or, like mine, a late-model 500C) is still an excellent choice and can be had in good condition for a very wallet-friendly price.

Old 11-17-2017   #73
giganova

Uff, I didn't know that the RZ is so HUGE!

Old 11-17-2017   #74
narsuitus

Handling the cameras may help in your decision-making process.

Old 11-17-2017   #75
ruby.monkey

That's a slightly unfair comparison (the RZ's prism finder weighs about as much as a Nikon F4S) but even with a WLF it's no pocket camera. I'll happily carry mine with WLF, 110mm f/2.8, and L-grip, all day long; but as a walkabout camera the Hasselblad is still much less (ha ha) hassle.

Old 11-17-2017   #76
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Actually, having pondered this some more, I remember having a 'conversation' with myself a couple of years ago that went something like this...

I want a medium format camera.

It has to be flexible, reliable, built like a tank and repairable.

I want the highest quality lenses available for my budget, and I'd love to have a super wide to medium telephoto.

I don't want to depend on batteries when I'm in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold.

I'd really like to be able to change film mid-roll.

It would be great not to have to fiddle around loading film too often when I'm out and about for the day.

The basic camera has to be light enough to carry on my shoulder for 8 hours+.

I'd like to use grad filters and polarisers occasionally.

When I'm travelling I'll need to shoot everything from macros, to portraits, to landscapes with the same camera.

The answer is: Mamiya Super Press 23.
Fixed it for you. The Super Press will do all you suggested. I don't know about the weight of the cameras. However, a 250mm f/5 lens is best mounted on a tracked vehicle.

Quote:
Fantastic suggestions and a lot to think about and digest!

I am surprised that so many of you recommend a medium format camera, especially on a rangefinder forum. I am wondering, if I had asked my question on a MF forum, would they have suggested a large format wet plate camera?

A MF camera would be a big departure from my "small, quick & stealthy" rangefinder approach of photography, a different workflow, and would entail buying a new scanner. I just can't seem to figure out how a MF camera would make my photography better (other than better image quality). It's all about what you can do with a camera, and I suspect that a MF camera would restrict me instead of opening up new venues to explore.
See my post above for a MF RF camera. Sure don't expect it to be easily carried. I was surprised to see you apparently don't have a LF camera, one of the smaller ones like an 11x14, that would take either wet plate or cut film. Aren't you serious about photography?

Are you stuck on RF? Has there been an 35mm SLR you used to salivate over? Especially if you tried one that would sell close to what you paid for it if you don't like it.

Good luck. I wish I had your problem. Right now I don't have $1,800 to spend on a camera. My wife has promised the next time I retire she wants to buy me a good digital kit.

Old 11-17-2017   #77
giganova

I already have a fantastic photo project that would look great in MF: "The Underground Railroad". I want to document and rediscover the secret routes escaped slaves from the South took in the early 1900s on their search for freedom in the Northern States. My plan is do a lot of research and take pictures of the escape routes in the swamps and woods of Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania, the safe house and cabins they stayed hidden over night. I'll search for direct descendants of some of the slaves and will take pictures of them in those original places and locations. Imagine eerie b&w landscape photos of foggy swamps and cabins with portraits of the descendants of the slaves! This would look stellar on MF. Will probably take me a year to pull it off.

Waddayathink?

Old 11-17-2017   #78
brennanphotoguy

I was just about to say that you're not going to want an RZ. I sold them at B&H and every single time someone came up and asked for one I would put it in front of them and watch their jaw drop. It's at home in the studio and that's about it. The Hasselblad is infinitely smaller and lighter. If you want an interchangeable lens 6x6 or 6x7 camera check out the Mamiya 6 or 7 and keep the RF or get a Hasselblad V series body. If you want to go with a fixed lens camera there's a lot of options. The GW670 and GW690 and Rolleiflex come to mind as well as the Makina (love that camera) and the Fuji GF670. The latter two are going to come in at the top of your budget but they are super nice cameras.

Old 11-17-2017   #79
Huss

Quote:
I already have a fantastic photo project that would look great in MF: "The Underground Railroad". I want to document and rediscover the secret routes escaped slaves from the South took in the early 1900s on their search for freedom in the Northern States. My plan is do a lot of research and take pictures of the escape routes in the swamps and woods of Delaware, Maryland and Pennsylvania, the safe house and cabins they stayed hidden over night. I'll search for direct descendants of some of the slaves and will take pictures of them in those original places and locations. Imagine eerie b&w landscape photos of foggy swamps and cabins with portraits of the descendants of the slaves! This would look stellar on MF. Will probably take me a year to pull it off.

Waddayathink?

I like it! Do it!

Old 11-17-2017   #80
f16sunshine

Quote:

Waddayathink?
Sounds like a great project.
I would choose a Rolleiflex and a GSW 690iii.
Fit both in under your budget.
Rolleiflex for closer looks and the moderate wide GSW for broader views in 2:3.

It’s difficult to emphasis enough how working through a TLR effects image outcome.
Maybe it’s subjective and just me.
Handholding a twinlens just has given me many more keepers than any other camera “arrangement”.
It’s viewfinder is almost cinematic which really effects the photographer.

The big negative from the wide Fuji 690 is mind bending.
Its ability to capture so much detail for such a relatively small dollar investment makes it a great choice for documenting when one might print large.

Look forward to viewing your project