Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Hasselblad swc/m in the White House.
Old 10-27-2017   #1
jmpgino

Hasselblad swc/m in the White House.

Booked in for a White House tour and I see they allow a camera with a fixed lens no longer than 3 inches. The wife is shouting at me but I am wondering if anyone with this camera has been denied entry. Some TMAX 400 might be useful for the visit. Not sure if there is anything worth making the effort for though, looked on line for tour images and I was not enthused at the results. It would be nice to have a BW image in a frame to remember the event though....any of you got some input here ?????

Old 10-27-2017   #2
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
Booked in for a White House tour and I see they allow a camera with a fixed lens no longer than 3 inches. The wife is shouting at me but I am wondering if anyone with this camera has been denied entry. Some TMAX 400 might be useful for the visit. Not sure if there is anything worth making the effort for though, looked on line for tour images and I was not enthused at the results. It would be nice to have a BW image in a frame to remember the event though....any of you got some input here ?????
No idea.. but I am interested in how your tour turns out and hope you will keep us updated! Good luck...

Dave

Old 10-27-2017   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

I was in the White House many years ago. The times were different then as they pertain to limitations on cameras used inside the WH.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 10-27-2017   #4
Nokton48

I'd consider 120 Ilford Delta 3200, which I normally rate at 1000. With an F3.5 lens can you handhold at slow speeds with that camera?

Old 10-27-2017   #5
raid
Dad Photographer

Use a mini tripod as a camera handle. Turn the three legs against your chest to stabilize the SWC for long exposures.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 10-27-2017   #6
Darshan

Quote:
Why don't you use your phone?
What photo opportunity are you going to miss if you use a simple p&s as compared with a Hasselblad?

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 10-27-2017   #7
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I'd take my X10 or D-Lux 6. But not while you-know-who is still in it. Maybe later.

Old 10-27-2017   #8
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan View Post
Why don't you use your phone?
What photo opportunity are you going to miss if you use a simple p&s as compared with a Hasselblad?
But this is a camera nerd forum! How dare you suggest not taking a SWC!

Old 10-27-2017   #9
coogee

It’s got to be worth a try. Why on earth own a camera like a SWC if you just use a phone when you get such an opportunity?

A beautiful framed homemade print from your 38mm Biogon seems well worth the ‘trouble’ to me.

If they say “you’ll have to leave the ray gun outside, Sir” then at least you’ll always know you tried.

I have never been to your Capital so can’t offer first hand experience.

Old 10-28-2017   #10
jmpgino

This is the White House instruction on what is and is not allowed in.....

https://www.whitehouse.gov/participa...nts#prohibited

Old 10-28-2017   #11
ptpdprinter

"Please note that no storage facilities are available on or around the complex. Individuals who arrive with prohibited items will not be permitted to enter the White House."

Old 10-28-2017   #12
BillBingham2

I'd use a string screwed into the tripod socket, step on the string and pull upward to give you stability.

Just clipped this from the URL.....
"tripods, monopods and camera sticks are not permitted."

Depending upon how you hold the SWC, you might try a cable release. Practice for a role or two before you go.

B2 (;->

Old 10-28-2017   #13
julio1fer

Cameras with detachable lenses are not allowed....

I toured the White House back in 1980 with my Pentax K1000. In the current mood I'd recommend keeping it simple. If you really want to bring a film camera, as befits to this forum, make sure you can handle interior light, i.e. bring 400 ISO film and a single lens with large enough aperture. Wide angles are really needed there IIRC.

Old 10-28-2017   #14
pagpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I was in the White House many years ago. The times were different then as they pertain to limitations on cameras used inside the WH.
Good to know. Thanks, Raid.

Old 10-28-2017   #15
jmpgino

The lens is fixed and less than 3 inches in length, so that part passes. My problem maybe the film back, if I remove the dark slide, the back is then kind off fixed. But it is certainly not COMPACT as in their description.
Regarding a phone. I have a flip phone and have no desire for anything other than a simple phone. Quite frankly I am sick and tired of seeing people childishly taking SELFIES, when last in Paris, it was pathetic. They all had a stick and walked around constantly smiling in the air, like morons, thousands of them. It was called a self portrait when I was a youth. And sending images of your dinner plate onto another cretin friend, then awaiting their infantile reply, is also moronic.
There I have had my rant, and yes I am of the older generation.....

Old 10-28-2017   #16
ptpdprinter

Some people are moronic. Doesn't mean iPhones can't be used successfully as cameras, particularly the newer ones. I can understand how you might not want to buy a new phone for your visit to the White House. If you decide to take your SWC, I hope they don't deny you entrance. It's an interesting tour.

Old 10-28-2017   #17
BillBingham2

Write up an email asking for review/approval prior to your trip and send it to your congressman's office in DC. It should include pictures of the camera and backs. Call about two days after to see its status. Keep calling ever two days until you get an answer.

I don't think you will have a problem if you bring it unloaded so they can see the back/film/camera. Both open up pretty easily the folks who check stuff can see they are empty and safe. Load the back in front them them.

Of course bring enough film and perhaps a small incident light meter (no spot meters).

B2 (

Old 10-28-2017   #18
Darshan

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
But this is a camera nerd forum! How dare you suggest not taking a SWC!
fair enough

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 10-28-2017   #19
Darshan

Quote:
Quite frankly I am sick and tired of seeing people childishly taking SELFIES, when last in Paris, it was pathetic. They all had a stick and walked around constantly smiling in the air, like morons, thousands of them. It was called a self portrait when I was a youth. And sending images of your dinner plate onto another cretin friend, then awaiting their infantile reply, is also moronic.
There I have had my rant, and yes I am of the older generation.....
I am with you with regards to people appearing like morons while trying to take selfies, especially those who stick out their tongues, it's disgusting..

You have to agree though, "selfie" sounds much cooler than "self-portrait"

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 10-28-2017   #20
jmpgino

But "SELF POTRTRAIT" is so much more dignified and certainly more eloquent than the disgusting use of abbreviated words that we now have to endure in our daily lives. It was also something of a personal statement of skill with a film camera.
The present younger generation know nothing of the term exposure, let alone how it was calculated. My old man did not need an exposure meter, he used his brain and his exposures with a Zeiss a Super Ikonta and my grandfathers Newman and Guardia (a camera many of you have never heard of, that is behind me as I tap away) are incredible. Glass plates and thick negatives, lovely stuff. I miss the good old days, when life was dignified and certainly more civilized.

Old 11-10-2017   #21
jmpgino

Well we got back from Washington DC two days ago, the weather changed so often I am suffering with a bad cold.
The White House trip was superb, after all of the on line vetting and getting the pass, the security was still very high. We were identity checked twice and then X rayed twice before being allowed to wander inside. Two groups of people were refused entry in front of us for some reason. Anyhow, without a tripod images taken in there would have just been records. The wife took her cell phone, I still have a flip phone and do not want anything other than a phone !!!!! Have yet to look at her images, no flash was allowed.
I teared up standing below the portrait of JFK, I was right up against it. The woodwork of black walnut, rosewood and cherry was truly beautiful workmanship.
So all in all I did not miss taking my Hasselblad inside with me. But outside she was the perfect camera for that city. After hardly using my Rolleiflex 3.5F in the first two days i left her behind in the Hotel. The SWC/M was just the ticket for the monuments and my Nikon D300 did an excellent job on the colour work.
We also had a tour of the Capital and I took the Hasselblad in there, It was used but not sure if anything will be wall worthy as there were too many humans and waiting for a decent record was not going to be possible.
Take comfy walking shoes if you go there, you will need them.

Old 11-10-2017   #22
giganova

They let me in with a Nikon D600 and a zoom lens. No tripods, though.

The problem with the SWC/M is the wide angle with all the tourists and visitors.

Old 11-10-2017   #23
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

If the WH instruction isn't specific enough, I'd say call their public affairs office directly. That may not work since the SWC is pretty esoteric and not even all gearheads know it.
So then go to the last WH photographer. Email Pete Souza since he may know the instruction but he certainly knows the camera. He was well known for using all sorts of old, arcane film gear.

Phil Forrest

Old 11-10-2017   #24
jmpgino

"If the WH instruction isn't specific enough"

WHEN IT SAYS "LENS NO LONGER THAN THREE INCHES AND MUST BE NOT BE REMOVABLE"

I would say that IS SPECIFIC ENOUGH !!!!!!!

Also remember you either walk back out or you lose the item. The Secret Service do not give a crap about anything other than detail to their instructions. And I was not going to miss the tour over a few images, let alone lose a Hasselblad.
If you think the TSA is tight, take a trip into the White House because being told to be there at 10.45am for an 11am tour, we did not get through security until 12.30pm, yes an hour and three quarters of tight security.

Old 11-10-2017   #25
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

It also says "Compact Cameras...." While we would all consider the SWC compact by MF standards, I would imagine that you will be turned away from the tour with one. I just checked my Panasonic LX100 and the lens when fully extended is 3 ⅜ inches, even that doesn't meet the specs.

Old 11-10-2017   #26
Rayt

30 years ago I had an internship at a federal building overlooking the White House. For that internship I had to pass some gruelling security clearance. On the grounds of the WH I could see dozens of security personnel and also snipers on the roof. Seriously I doubt secret service would let you take that brick of an SWC inside. I had my FM2n and Vivitar Series 1 70/210 in my desk and tried to take photos of the WH and was told not to do that again!

Old 11-11-2017   #27
jmpgino

Off the topic but still in relation. Five days in Washington, not the height of the season but still many tourists. In all of that time I did not see ONE FILM CAMERA being used. I got plenty of people questioning me about my Rolleiflex, no interest in the Hasselblad at all. I dropped $200 on film for this trip and my next one, going over to Kauai and Maui after Thanksgiving. It just makes me wonder how the film manufacturing industry makes a living out of us ?

Old 11-11-2017   #28
Corran

You only see a fraction of the people around the city I am sure. Hard to make generalizations.

I love DC. Was there earlier this year on Chinese New Years - passing through but it snowed unexpectedly and luckily a friend let me stay with him for a couple days. Almost no one was around since it was in the middle of the week not near any US holiday, but a smattering of Chinese tourists around for vacation I guess.

Loved walking around in the cold and without so many people (last time I was in DC was during the July 4th festivities...).

Shot lots of film .

Old 11-30-2017   #29
ajtruhan

Quote:
a camera with a fixed lens no longer than 3 inches.
Could that mean a lens not longer than 76.2mm? Maybe this is so there's no telephoto lenses. The 38mm would be fine, then.

Old 11-30-2017   #30
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtruhan View Post
Could that mean a lens not longer than 76.2mm? Maybe this is so there's no telephoto lenses. The 38mm would be fine, then.
So if I weld my 75 Noctilux to my M6 I can shoot iso200 film and not the expensive iso400...