Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Old 05-03-2017   #201
DwF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
That sort of mirrors my experience. I don't dislike the Bessa II, and the photos are really good, but it's just not as good as I'd hoped as a working camera. The Perkeo II and Super Ikonta C are great.

The big Yashicas (Electro GTN & Lynx-14e) and small Canonets are kind of the same. There's nothing to hate, but I find myself ambivalent about them.
02Pilot- I open your link to see Hexar Rhodium....one of my favorite cameras of all was the Hexar AF. I also have an Ikonta B that is really compaxct and fun to shoot with.

Old 05-04-2017   #202
scottgee1
RF renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
Why I didn't read this thread before? It would have saved me a lot of time buying and selling stuffs. Fun thread to read.
Trung, you are forgiven AND have learned a valuable lesson:

To be 'in the know', it is essential to read ALL threads on RFF EVERY DAY!

If you need to quit your job and ignore your family, so be it.

Old 05-04-2017   #203
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwF View Post
02Pilot- I open your link to see Hexar Rhodium....one of my favorite cameras of all was the Hexar AF. I also have an Ikonta B that is really compaxct and fun to shoot with.
I'm hoping to get it out soon for some proper use. With any luck I won't be coming back to this thread to talk about it....

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 05-04-2017   #204
DC1030
DC1030

Fuji X10, never got sharp pictures out of it, neither RAW nor jpgs were any good. But it really looked good - but image quality - no.

Old 05-04-2017   #205
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1030 View Post
Fuji X10, never got sharp pictures out of it, neither RAW nor jpgs were any good. But it really looked good - but image quality - no.
My x10 was similar - except that I sometimes got decent images. It turned out to be a problem with the AF. Sent it for repair, but the problem was still there afterwards, so I sold it.

Old 05-05-2017   #206
Chris101
summicronia

I use Nikon digital SLRs. I had a D100 - loved it. A D70 with an IR internal filter - my favorite digital camera of all time. A D2x - I just loved this camera, it fit like a bruno magli.

Then I upgraded to the D700. While I still use it, and appreciate it's abilities, I just don't feel it. I can't pinpoint why - size? Balance? Shape? I dunno. I put up with it, but I don't love it.

Old 05-06-2017   #207
user237428934
User deletion pending

First Fuji X100 (early version). What an unfinished, unresponsive and unreliable camera that was. The first software update made it slightly better but still nothing to keep.

Old 05-06-2017   #208
lcpr

Fuji X-Pro 1. Not as good for street as I expected/hoped it would be, so it (and the 18mm and 35mm) sat in a drawer for a year or so. However now that I'm shooting 5x4 and more portraiture/fashion it's a great little backup cam - lots of the issues I had with it (slow AF, sluggish operation in general) aren't issues at all in that kind of use.

Old 05-06-2017   #209
Merlijn53

Digital in general. I did my best, but it never convinced me.
Happy back to analog for a year now and not planning to look back.
Regards,
Frank

Old 05-06-2017   #210
vitaly66

Nikon S2, can't understand the fandom for this one, cheezy build quality.

Super Ikonta 532/16, fine camera let down by a too-distant minimum focus.

Old 05-11-2017   #211
gb hill

Yashica Electro GSN. just didn't feel right for me.

Old 05-11-2017   #212
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlijn53 View Post
Digital in general. I did my best, but it never convinced me.
Happy back to analog for a year now and not planning to look back.
Regards,
Frank
lollolololol

Old 05-11-2017   #213
farlymac
PF McFarland

Of all the camera systems I've tried, I'd have to say Olympus SLRs have disappointed me the most. Nice lenses, but the camera bodies leave something to be desired. With Canon it was hit-or-miss on the bodies, the A1 being the worst of them, despite the fantastic red LED's in the viewfinder. Minolta was okay all around with the exception of the capacitor issue on the X series, but then they are inexpensive, and spares are readily available. My only problem with Yashica is being able to find one in good working condition, rangefinder or SLR.

I'm not going to rant here on FSU gear, as I've come to realize they just never were made to stand up to the usage that most of them get. So when I do acquire an occasional model that doesn't need a complete overhaul, I'm pretty satisfied with it. As long as I don't blast a hole in the shutter.

PF

Old 05-11-2017   #214
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
First Fuji X100 (early version). What an unfinished, unresponsive and unreliable camera that was. The first software update made it slightly better but still nothing to keep.
If you'd kept it a little longer, you might have enjoyed it! I'll admit that - initially, and even after the first firmware update - I shared your view, but subsequent updates made it much more user-friendly.

The original x100 is not a 'speed king', of course, but the later firmware updates made it responsive enough... so much so, that I still own it, and enjoy using it, almost six years later. And the output is still excellent.

Old 05-15-2017   #215
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I think I was most disappointed by the 50mm Summilux ASPH. It has legendary hype (which I should have known could never match real experience) and it just never quite lived up to it. It's very good of course, but I just never liked it as much as a 50 Summicron or nearly any other 50mm I tried.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 05-15-2017   #216
Darshan

I may get flamed for this but here it goes:

The camera that disappointed me the most was Leica M4, sold it after a year or so. Now don't get me wrong, I made some very good photos with it along with CV 35 2.5, collapsible summicron and canon 50 1.4, but I hated holding and using it. It just never felt right in my hands.

I have been enjoying the OM2n since I got it (>5 years). The 50 1.8 that I got with it is the best 50 I have used so far, maybe I just got lucky. I think I prefer the TTL viewing and split screen focusing of SLRs. Also, it just feels right in my hands.

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 05-15-2017   #217
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan View Post
The camera that disappointed me the most was Leica M4, sold it after a year or so. Now don't get me wrong, I made some very good photos with it along with CV 35 2.5, collapsible summicron and canon 50 1.4, but I hated holding and using it. It just never felt right in my hands.
GASP!

Old 05-15-2017   #218
Jake Mongey

Canon 28mm 2.8 LTM - Always wanted one and when one came up at my local camera store I got a job at mcdonalds for a few months as the owner of the camera store let me pay a bit each month (its a small local store and come there multiple times a week.)

Got it a week before I went to amsterdam with college - pretty sharp at f/5.6 - reasonable at f2.8 but the vingetting at anything below f/4 was awful. I ended up shooting with the 35mm frame-lines on my canon 7 as by the time i cropped out the unrecoverable vignetting I had around that field of view.

The photos I took stopped down were real nice but I got it for that 2.8 aperture so I sold it and got a lens and some film backs for my RB67. Might try out the serenar 2.8mm 3.5 as thats supposed to be quite good

Old 05-15-2017   #219
Harry Lime
Practitioner

Leica M Digital

Great cameras and the M9 / 240 / M10 are real M cameras in every way. Unfortunately that includes the very primitive metering system which is very easily fooled and leads to blown highlights etc.

Yes, if you move slowly and check the histogram the camera will produce beautiful results, but for rapid fire shooting under challenging or changing lighting conditions the metering system is just too 'dumb'.

Digital is not forgiving like film to exposure errors and the results are unpleasant. You really need a matrix metering system, but that would be difficult to implement in the M series. The only real way may be to meter off the prism block in the RF unit.

Old 05-15-2017   #220
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darshan View Post
I think I prefer the TTL viewing and split screen focusing of SLRs
I completely agree on this. Perhaps it's simply because I had split-screen focus on my first cameras around 40 years ago (when it was more-or-less the norm), but I've always preferred this system.

Old 05-16-2017   #221
Rayt

Any Leica screwmount camera when m adapters have already been invented.

Old 05-16-2017   #222
Carey M

1950s Leica lenses (3,5cm Summaron, 5cm collapsible Summicron). So susceptible to flare. And I hate using lens hoods. I kinda knew what to expect, but I was still disappointed.

Old 05-16-2017   #223
tennjed

Certo 6 folder. Stunning results, but overall weight, bulkiness, and focus apparatus make it easily the most inconvenient camera I own. It is built like a tank......and performs in the same manner.

I own and use a fair good number of folders. Convenience is, generally, not a big part of using any of them; the Certo 6 takes it to a new level.

Forunately, I did not buy one (Ebay) before I had a chance to actually see for myself how it felt in hand, but the Contax IIA was a surprising disappointment from an in-hand feel and operational standpoint. I was somewhat surprised by this as I routinely use, and enjoy, a Tenax II. I was going to go ahead an buy a IIA, sight unseen on Ebay, based on the Tenax experience; I am glad I did not.

Old 05-16-2017   #224
sara

Fuji Instax...and some Lomo cameras.

Old 05-16-2017   #225
Huss

Rolleiflex 2.8GX/FX.

Don't get me wrong, they are incredible cameras. As long as you don't compare the build quality and fit/finish to a classic Rolleiflex like a 2.8E, 3.5 etc etc.

And my $20 Lubitel 166 Olympic edition has a smoother shutter release than my GX!

Old 05-16-2017   #226
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

Had trouble with the Minolta CLE. I love the 40mm, but just couldn't get into the lack of real manual controls on the CLE.

Old 05-16-2017   #227
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantface View Post
Had trouble with the Minolta CLE. I love the 40mm, but just couldn't get into the lack of real manual controls on the CLE.
You mean a lack of metering in manual. It has real manual controls. Think of it as a mini M3 when in manual mode..

(It is weird that they have the meter turn off in manual. Even my lowly Minolta X300 meters in manual. And very nicely too)

Old 05-16-2017   #228
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

Yeah, I guess it was just the lack of metering in addition to the manual controls. Just felt inefficient and was different enough from my other cameras that it was hard to get the CLE folded neatly into the mix.

Old 05-16-2017   #229
jsrockit

Any Nikon DX00 besides the Df. Obviously great cameras, but just not for me.

Old 05-16-2017   #230
ACullen

Pentacon Zeiss Ercona II,

it's got a great tessar lens which if you can either hold the camera steady enough or stop it vibrating when mounted on a tripod will result in great shots. It is however the slowest folder I've used, the wind mechanism is painfully slow to operate.

The base plate is very flimsy yet that's where they located a tripod socket. It's effectivel useless so portrait orientated photos are the only possibly when using the 2nd tripod bush found on the folding door cover. It's a bit more rigid but not exactly firm. This camera demands extreme patience!

Old 05-16-2017   #231
Huss

My Widelux F8. Really difficult to hold. Cannot see what you're shooting as the lens turret blocks most of the view. Pathetic selection of shutter speeds.
Sold it.

Old 05-16-2017   #232
tightsqueez

Leica MP... all four of them (One new run-of-the-mill, one new la carte, and two used). Of any camera I have ever used by far the most unreliable.

I will never own another.

Iraq & Afghanistan https://www.flickr.com/photos/703557...7645044968305/

GRAVIORA MANENT ERGO BIBAMUS

Old 05-16-2017   #233
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightsqueez View Post
Leica MP... all four of them (One new run-of-the-mill, one new la carte, and two used). Of any camera I have ever used by far the most unreliable.

I will never own another.
Sounds like they can give my Zenit TTL a run for its money.
What went wrong?
(This is why I feel Leica peaked with the M5. The last of the Leicas made with the best bits and the best assembly)

Old 05-16-2017   #234
Aristophanes

Canon Canonet. Awkward controls. Heavy.

Old 06-14-2017   #235
derekuu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfeucht View Post
I did several tests with 3 different copies of the 'cron ASPH. My Ultron (which I still own) is stellar in sharpness, bokeh, and lack of focus shift. It's just the .9M focus limitation that was killing me. The Biogon was consistantly sharper on center than everything else, but has a weird smear at the edges of frame. This disappears at f2.8. I saw it in both copies I tested.

Again, I REALLY wanted to like the Summicron ASPH. I planned to love it, buy it, and ride into the sunset. It sucked to learn that the fairy dust simply wasn't there. That being said, I LOVE my 50mm Summilux ASPH and 75mm Summicron APO. The 35mm was just a disappointment.

I played with the Summilux 35mm FLE, and it's exceptional. However, I truly love my new Biogon and all Summilux GAS is gone after the purchase.
There is the new m mount 35mm Ultron. The rendering looks very very good and only a half stop slower than the summilux. Closest focus distance is 0.5 meters so I suspect they designed it partly to use with adapter on mirrorless cameras.

I loved the original X100. Even though it was slow, it was my first serious camera with a larger sensor. Eventually I moved onto the X100t which can also focus on moving objects.

I've been disappointed using zoom lenses in general. The limitations of a single focal length help me take better photos.

Old 06-14-2017   #236
nickthetasmaniac

The original X100 - moments of brilliance, but overall it just felt like a product released into the wild way to early. That said, I'm quite keen to try one of the newer versions, as it seems that've got it sussed now.

50mm Summilux v2 - An exceptional lens, but at some point I realised I was enjoying my 50mm Nokton as much, at a third of the price...

Leica III - Odd how my M2 is half a century old but never really feels 'dated' to use, while the III almost felt like it was designed to get in the way...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 06-14-2017   #237
someonenameddavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE1951 View Post
Have a non functioning Contax IIa, but despise the ergonomics. Really don't like the knob film wind, which colours my disinterest in screw mount leicas. The focusing wheel is just silly!! Loading film by removing the back is annoying, but tolerate the same on my Nikon F.

I have much higher praise for the 21 biogon that came with the camera
You hold the knob still and wind the camera

Old 07-06-2017   #238
Malcolm Stewart

Have now read the complete thread, and very interesting it is. My worst camera experience was with a Rollei 6006. I bought it used about a decade ago, with its 80mm standard Planar lens. The battery & charger was flaky, and everything depended on a good working battery. I replaced the battery with a bulkier battery from the RC market, and briefly it worked OK. Then the film holder's contacts gave trouble and I got it a replacement film holder. If I was lucky, I'd get 2 or 3 good shots per 120 film. That at least allowed me to see how good the lens was; but the whole 6006 experience for me was a pain.

Around the same time, I checked out a Hassselblad 500(c?) for a friend, and that simply worked - lovely results, 12 out of 12.

Normally I shoot Canon full frame / APSc digital with a range of lenses, but recently have bought a Leica M6, with 50, 35 & 90mm lenses.

Old 07-06-2017   #239
TerryMcC

Leica M240. Used a few times then reached past it to my M7 or Zorki 1 or Nikon SP. Sold the M yesterday.

Old 07-06-2017   #240
seagrove
Rich

For me, it was the Nikon F4S when I was trying to jump to autofocus and a Yashica 124G. The AF on the F4S I found to be severely lacking and ended up with two F100 bodies with MB-15 drives. The Yashica was a very nice camera I picked up at a yard sale in pristine condition. But I just did not take to the square format of the camera and I continue to shoot 35mm today with a Yashica Electro35 GS that I really enjoy.