Old 07-23-2016   #41
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

G 896 # 9 Summaron 28mm f5.6 LTM by T&T and Mr B Abrahamsson, on Flickr
Summaron 28mm f5.6 Ltm. This is with the original Summaron 28f5.6 - stopped down to f22. Distinct edge darkening but remarkable sharpness across the image. If the "retro" version could keep the resolution and lessen the edge darkening - it could be an interesting lens. Today we are less constrained by 'slow" lenses as the digital M's can handle ISO's up the 2500 or even more with no significant loss of quality.

Old 07-24-2016   #42
Ronald M

I like my 28 2.8 Elmar ASPH. Not impressed by big heavy fat lenses with no depth of field. My favorite 50 is a 2,8 collapsible V2. My 90 is 4.0 Macro.

Old 09-14-2016   #43
fer_fdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Haven't seen this posted here:

http://leicarumors.com/2016/05/15/mo...5-6-lens.aspx/

Strange if true.
It would be very nice but should focus down to 70cm and with less vignetting
and not much more expensive than an Orion-15

Old 10-17-2016   #44
NeonKnight

It's here!

http://leicarumors.com/2016/10/17/th...5-6-lens.aspx/

Old 10-17-2016   #45
Huss

It looks really pretty. And I know it's beating on a dead horse complaining about Leica prices, but $2K for an f5.6 28mm lens..
I have a bunch of Leica glass, but having just shot some images that are selling in my gallery with a Voigtlander LTM 28mm 3.5 Color Skopar that cost me a couple o hundred bux, well..
f5.6 is just too limiting for me on film. Using Ektar, Portra 160 or my old stock of Fuji 160, it means I am already 'wide open' at [email protected]/60 outdoors in the middle of an overcast day.

Old 10-17-2016   #46
FrozenInTime

Classic and pretty; might have bought it as a novelty item - but at $2k that's not going to happen.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 10-17-2016   #47
Gregm61

Nothing here that would interest me in changing from my current 28mm f2.8 Elmarit (just discontinued previous version). It's a pretty darn perfect lens.

Old 10-17-2016   #48
f16sunshine

Meh...

$2k and no ring to thread the chain through?
How is one supposed to wear this jewelry?

Old 10-17-2016   #49
seakayaker1

.....there is a nut for every screw.

This lens will certainly land in a few tool kits but I am happy with the Voightlander 28/1.8 LTM I have. If I was going for a Leica, the Elmarit (new or used) or the Summicron (used) would be a better fit for me.

Looking forward to seeing some images taken with the 28/5.6 posted in the future.

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
M Monochrom ~ M-P (240), M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 10-17-2016   #50
DougFord
on the good foot

Presumably the build and performance will be stellar. Looks cool. Also a nice small lens for the adapter crowd.

the walk

Old 10-17-2016   #51
fer_fdi

it really looks beautiful and sexy to me
(but still find the price way exagerated for a f5.6)

Old 10-17-2016   #52
NeonKnight

I wonder if Leica plans on remaking other vintage lenses like the 21 Super Angulon or the first 35 Summicron? Anyways, like many have said itís hard to justify this lens when the 28 f/2.8 can be had for less. Maybe its rendering is unique? Iíve only seen examples online of pictures made with the original and it does show a lot of vignette and charm but will the 6-bit coding eliminate this? It will be interesting to see how this is marketed; maybe the lensís 6-bit profile will exaggerate the retro look.

Old 10-17-2016   #53
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

I did see one of these at the LHSA meet here in Vancouver about a week ago. Stefan Daniel (head of Leica M development at Leica, Wetzlar) brought one . Did not get a chance to try it out - with film the hotel was a bit too dark. Looked very appealing though. Coating has been changed, more contrast as the early 1950's version was very flat in the regard. I kind of like it - and even the hood looks nice. I don't think it is going to fly off the shelves - but I an seriously considering one - if not for any other reason to encourage Leica to make more of these "heritage" lenses. We all have the choice to buy or not to buy anyway.

Old 10-17-2016   #54
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
Did not get a chance to try it out - with film the hotel was a bit too dark.
$2K for a literally fair weather lens as you have demonstrated is a bit steep.

I have found that shooting indoors in a well lit room - such as regular office environments - is at least a four stop difference from outside in overcast or shade conditions.

So with tri-x at 400 ISO, well lit indoors with this lens would be at least f5.6 and 1/15 sec and more likely 1/8 sec.

Any advantage in the compact size is lost by having to carry a tripod with you.

Old 10-17-2016   #55
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
$2K for a literally fair weather lens as you have demonstrated is a bit steep.

I have found that shooting indoors in a well lit room - such as regular office environments - is at least a four stop difference from outside in overcast or shade conditions.

So with tri-x at 400 ISO, well lit indoors with this lens would be at least f5.6 and 1/15 sec and more likely 1/8 sec.

Any advantage in the compact size is lost by having to carry a tripod with you.
Agreed. Or a second lens in case there is a cloud in the sky. And don't forget the hood is bigger than the lens, so it is probably a bigger total package than the elmarit asph.

But if they start to make of these vintage lenses, I'd be in for a 1.4/35 pre-asph that focuses down to 0.7m!

Old 10-17-2016   #56
jenhao

There's only one thing that I wished Leica would have done....made it a LTM lens with M-mount adapter! Imagine this on a Barnack body, wow. More vintage lens fans might spend $2,000 for this lens this Christmas, if only...

Mark

Old 10-17-2016   #57
Huss

well, at least it's a real Leica item and not something like a rebadged Fuji Instax.

Old 10-17-2016   #58
Rayt

I have the original 5.6 Summaron and as many has said it is limiting with film but Leica is all in with digital now and it does make a compact kit when you can shoot at iso1600 and up.

Old 10-17-2016   #59
Daryl J.

I like it.

And yes, if I had the money I'd buy it.
HP5, M4-P, wrist strap. All in my jacket pocket.
And in my pants pocket, Leica's tabletop tripod. It'd be a brilliant urban package.

Old 10-18-2016   #60
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Let's try to guess on price... I'm thinking $2,000
Hmmm...seems I was right (at least if the rumor is correct).

Old 10-18-2016   #61
maddoc
... likes film.

That is quite some money for the release of an old lens design. What did Leica invent to justify the high price, special glass or optical design?

flickr
pBase

Old 10-18-2016   #62
jim0266

If Lensrentals gets this it might be fun to take it for a spin. The VC 28/3.5 is already pretty tiny. That lens versus the 28 Summaron at 5.6 would be interesting.

Old 10-18-2016   #63
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
I like it.

And yes, if I had the money I'd buy it.
HP5, M4-P, wrist strap. All in my jacket pocket.
And in my pants pocket, Leica's tabletop tripod.
Where are you going to put the table?

Old 10-18-2016   #64
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
That is quite some money for the release of an old lens design. What did Leica invent to justify the high price, special glass or optical design?
The font?

type

Old 10-18-2016   #65
Jerevan
Recycled User

Next up: Elmar 35/3.5.

Old 10-18-2016   #66
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Is it? It is a recalculation of the original formula, new coatings and the old mechanical design to modern specifications. The price is about the same (in Euros) as the cheapest 28 in Leica's lineup, the Elmarit, which is part of the Summarit lens group, intended as entry-level.
I find it highly attractive, as the signature is supposed to be "analog-like"
If it renders a bit like the Elmar-M 50 ( which is a lens Leica should re-release IMO) it is a winner.

jaapvphotography

Old 10-18-2016   #67
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

The new Summaron 28 is of course "coded" for digital M's and with modern sensors you can use far higher iso with good results. I asked Stefan Daniel about performance and he did admit, that apart from higher contrast, the new Summaron would be only slightly better than the old one when used with film. The strength of the Summaron 28 was always its resolution - very high. I assume that the improved coating will lessen vignetting too.

Old 10-18-2016   #68
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
The price is about the same (in Euros) as the cheapest 28 in Leica's lineup, the Elmarit, which is part of the Summarit lens group, intended as entry-level.
The Elmarit ASPH, whilst one of the lower cost lenses (and initially marketed with the M8 as a more affordable "35"), has never been part of the Summarit lens group. The Summarits use common components and, at least with the first Summarit series, have slightly compromised close focussing distances and IMO a cheaper build quality. The 28 Elmarit ASPH (at least the first version which I owned) was not compromised in this way and came with a hood and the usual leather case, etc., just like any other non-Summarit lens in the range.

Old 10-18-2016   #69
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

From a marketing point of view - it certainly is the entry-level wideangle, like the Summarits are entry-level lenses in their focal lengths. If you want to have a Leica-affordable full range of focal lengths it can only be the Elmarit+Summarits.
It is clear that it does not have the part-sharing of the Summarits. I have owned the Elmarit and I could not discern any build quality differences to the Summarits, which I cannot fault either. I did not like the rendering of the lens, though.

jaapvphotography

Old 10-18-2016   #70
jsrockit

Quote:
Well, they invented the lens no? And it is a Leica lens... to think it would be priced cheaply is naive.

Old 10-18-2016   #71
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

It would interest me more if it's in LTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer_fdi View Post
and not much more expensive than an Orion-15
I doubt that.. EDIT: Oh I just saw the price in the new link.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 10-18-2016   #72
Huss

Quote:
I have owned the Elmarit and I could not discern any build quality differences to the Summarits, which I cannot fault either. I did not like the rendering of the lens, though.
Interesting comment. I have used and owned the new Summarits, since sold on, and the difference in build quality and materials was noticeable compared to my other Leica lenses including the Elmarit Asph 28.
The font was less clear, the paint fill on the lettering was far lower end, they did not focus as smoothly and they did not attach as smoothly to a camera body.
The optics are top notch but obviously costs had to be made in order to offer the lower price point. And those costs were made in construction and finish.

The Elmarit Asph 28 is jewel like in comparison.

Old 10-18-2016   #73
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Well, I only have experience of the first series when they just came out, and did not see the things you noticed.

jaapvphotography

Old 10-18-2016   #74
Huss

Quote:
Well, I only have experience of the first series when they just came out, and did not see the things you noticed.
Sorry, by new Summarits I meant the first gen of the new ones. Not the next gen 2.4 models.
The material on the lens mounts even looked different than the regular Leica lenses, as if the coating on it was thinner. Which would explain the difference in mounting smoothness.

But ultimately it is not a knock on the Summarits as they are a lot cheaper!
And the optics are still fantastic.

Old 10-18-2016   #75
nhchen
Nathan

I wonder how the original Summaron 28 one compared to the russian Orion-16 28mm f6 lens. I've got that one and I think its great.

nathan

Old 10-18-2016   #76
giganova

Tiny and very pretty lens for a small and pretty rangefinder -- it actually makes sense. I have friends (with money) who have Leicas that live most of there lives proudly displayed on their Steinway grand and are occasionally being used for family photos. I think that's the target customers.

Old 10-18-2016   #77
nasmformyzombie
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
I did see one of these at the LHSA meet here in Vancouver about a week ago...We all have the choice to buy or not to buy anyway.
Not at all true. $2K for a very slow lens with its inherent limited functionality is completely beyond my budget. This lens is virtually worthless on a film camera. Another piece of silly bling from the masters of fluff and silliness. How about a special edition version with a ruby stone Leica red dot for $5K?

Has Leica ever been less relevant to photography than it is today? The Monochrom body is the only real innovation Leica has introduced since the M5 and M6, cameras with a built in meter. The M5 was introduced in 1971! I'm not going to bash the M5, because although it was an abject failure in the marketplace in the 1970's, it is a good camera.

The M7 you say? Again, nice camera but AE was available from other camera makers in the 1970's. The M7 was introduced in 2002.

In the 1920's the Barnack camera started a photographic revolution. If Leica would stop pandering to the 1%er crowd, maybe they could develop more timely and innovative products today.

Old 10-18-2016   #78
Emile de Leon

I think its cool Leica is reissuing these lenses..
I hear the O-type has a great 50 on it as well..
Maybe they will reissue more as time goes on..
And surprise us..
As well as the cost..well..I think the Leica lenses are a better investment than the bodies are...
And will be here decades into the future..
Even if you can find this lens for 20% cheaper grey market or in mint used cond..for $1600-..or less..
Use it for 20 years and pass it on..for hardly any loss...
Seems like a good deal to me..

Old 10-18-2016   #79
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
Not at all true. $2K for a very slow lens with its inherent limited functionality is completely beyond my budget. This lens is virtually worthless on a film camera. Another piece of silly bling from the masters of fluff and silliness. How about a special edition version with a ruby stone Leica red dot for $5K?

Has Leica ever been less relevant to photography than it is today? The Monochrom body is the only real innovation Leica has introduced since the M5 and M6, cameras with a built in meter. The M5 was introduced in 1971! I'm not going to bash the M5, because although it was an abject failure in the marketplace in the 1970's, it is a good camera.

The M7 you say? Again, nice camera but AE was available from other camera makers in the 1970's. The M7 was introduced in 2002.

In the 1920's the Barnack camera started a photographic revolution. If Leica would stop pandering to the 1%er crowd, maybe they could develop more timely and innovative products today.

What's the point of your rant? Does anyone force you to buy Leica gear?

Old 10-18-2016   #80
FrozenInTime

It gets better ... the US list price is $2495 ( plus tax ) !

http://leicarumors.com/2016/10/18/th...aRumors.com%29
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.