Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

How long does DAG repair take
Old 06-29-2016   #1
Rangefinder 35

How long does DAG repair take

I send my M6 to DAG Camera more than a month ago for some CLA and a part replacement. I got one email back just to clarify the return address, otherwise no info on how long will it take. My inquiry about that were just ignored. Is it what one's to expect with DAG? I've heard the guy is good , am I supposed to stay quiet?

Old 06-29-2016   #2
Vics

I've always just let him know when I need the item back- honestly and reasonably. He's never failed me yet.

My Flickr

Old 06-29-2016   #3
splitimageview

Call him.
---

Old 06-29-2016   #4
Matthew Runkel

I call him before sending to understand the expected timing. I send the gear with a cover letter restating the expected timing. I have had it take longer than expected.

I would suggest calling and speaking to him about the expected timing. Then you can send a friendly confirming email. It's easiest not to expect model email behavior from the best independent repair people. Then you'll not be disappointed.

He is very good. In my experience, Sherry Krauter, who is also very good, typically gives 3-week turnaround where parts are not needed. In my experience, Don takes longer than this.

Old 06-29-2016   #5
pepeguitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinder 35 View Post
I send my M6 to DAG Camera more than a month ago for some CLA and a part replacement. I got one email back just to clarify the return address, otherwise no info on how long will it take. My inquiry about that were just ignored. Is it what one's to expect with DAG? I've heard the guy is good , am I supposed to stay quiet?
He is probably giving priority to those who told him when they needed it by. The good thing is, it will be a very good job.

Old 06-29-2016   #6
barnwulf

My experience is that DAG doesn't answer email inquiries about your camera. My camera took several months before he returned it. He does great work but, now I use Youxin. Fast turn around time with him and I am very satisfied with his work. - jim

Old 06-29-2016   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

I have been using Don's services for many years. He is most likely the best repair person out there.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-29-2016   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinder 35 View Post
Why stay quiet? Just send him a note and ask what the status on your repair is. If you have a particular time that you need it by in mind, it is very reasonable to ask if it will be ready by that time.

Don has done service work on a number of cameras and lenses for me over the years. He does excellent work and has always been responsive to email queries in my experience.

G

Old 06-29-2016   #9
benmacphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Call him.
---
Good advice.
I've had Don service a few things of mine, and it's always best to call.
If I remember correctly turn around time was usually just shy of a month.

Website

Old 06-29-2016   #10
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I talked to Don in advance of sending in a couple lenses and we established a reasonable turn around time for both of our schedules. He still has my lenses but it's only been a week and he told me just yesterday they should be done in the next day or two.

His communication with me has been consistent and reasonably timely as well as detailed of his discoveries.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 06-29-2016   #11
Beemermark

Don can spend his time answering emails and phone calls or he can work on repairing cameras - take your choice.

I've used Don for decades, since the late '70's. Found out recently he's younger than me by a few years, jeez I feel old. Anyway a CLA takes anywhere from a month to a year.

I've been told by more than one repairman that they like to collect the same model (say 3 or 4 M3s) and then do them all at once. Just makes it go faster and easier than doing an M2, then a CL and a M6. So If you send the first M3 in you might wait for 3 or 4 months until that last M3 comes in, then they all get done in a few weeks.

Bottom line is Don learned from the best (if you don't know who his father was you should look it up) and spent his apprenticeship at Wetzler.

Old 06-29-2016   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

Don is capable of identifying hard to detect problems and he knows most likely how to fix it. Once, Don was willing to build for me aperture blades!

Old 06-29-2016   #13
presspass
filmshooter

I have started with a phone call to see if he has the time to do the work I need when I need it. I then confirm this with a letter enclosed with the cameras/lenses. When I don't need something right away, I'll say so. Same goes if I need a lens done quickly. He has always completed the work to my satisfaction and in a timely manner. He did take longer than I expected with a pair of cameras, but I told him 'no rush' and that's how it was handled. No disappointments here.

Old 06-29-2016   #14
raid
Dad Photographer

I use email only, and I get quick replies at all times.

Old 06-29-2016   #15
Pablito
coco frío

Over the years there have been numerous threads here on RFF with many individuals both heaping praise on the quality of his work and expressing extreme frustration at how long it takes to get things back. Since photography is not a hobby for me, I could never afford to wait months or years as quite a few folks have reported. That is why I always used Sherry Krauter, though I understand her repertoire of repairs may not be as broad. However, she gave you the time frame and stuck to it. (2 or 3 weeks).

Old 06-29-2016   #16
Rayt

If you are in a hurry then don't use DAG. I have given DAG lots of work and he is the best in my opinion. He converted my Canon .95 to M mount and it was perfect though that took nearly two years. The fastest was for a condenser upgrade for my M7 which took 2 weeks. He collimated my 21-35 Duel Hexanon and that took 3 months.

Old 06-30-2016   #17
squirrel$$$bandit

My impression is that he's just super busy. He took a month for some lens CLAs recently, but took longer to do a camera once. Youxin can be really fast, if you tell him you have a trip coming up or some other need for rush service. Both guys do great work.

Krauter
Old 07-07-2016   #18
Roger Pellegrini
Roger Pellegrini

Krauter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Runkel View Post
I call him before sending to understand the expected timing. I send the gear with a cover letter restating the expected timing. I have had it take longer than expected.

I would suggest calling and speaking to him about the expected timing. Then you can send a friendly confirming email. It's easiest not to expect model email behavior from the best independent repair people. Then you'll not be disappointed.

He is very good. In my experience, Sherry Krauter, who is also very good, typically gives 3-week turnaround where parts are not needed. In my experience, Don takes longer than this.
I wouldn't use Sherry Krauter anymore. She held one of my lenses for four months without repairing it and I finally had to take it back without the repair being done.

Old 07-07-2016   #19
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Just an update, I had a full turnaround in 2 weeks with Don. Just got my lenses back today.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Customer Service!
Old 07-08-2016   #20
pepeguitarra

Customer Service!

My motto in my business is:
If I pleased you, please tell everyone. If I did not, please tell me.

It is a bit different to what I am reading here!

Old 07-13-2016   #21
24fps

First post, I felt like I needed to share my experience with Don. I emailed Don on May 26 to ask about replacing my strap guard and general servicing of an M6 I recently acquired. June 7 he responded and apologized for the delayed response. I shipped my camera to arrive at DAG on June 27 and asked for a strap guard replacement, flare free optics upgrade, mask 75/135 frame lines, and CLA. I told Don I need the camera back on July 20. Today he emailed to tell me the job has been completed. He also said my camera only needed partial CLA and billed about 40% of his normal rate for a full CLA. During the time he had my camera he communicated via email on numerous occasions. Class act all the way. I was stressed when sending in my camera because I have read negative reports about turnaround time, but I am glad I followed through. Well I haven't actually received my camera yet, but anticipate I'll be happy with the results and have it in a few days. And then I'll post some pics!

Old 07-19-2016   #22
rfaspen

Well, I'm about to use Don -- again. I had him work on some Leica and Canon LTM in the past (lenses too), but that was a few years ago. Absolute top notch work. He went beyond the expected and requested, and overall wonderful stuff came back.

Fast forward to this morning. I found that a lens I had another repair person CLA for me a couple months ago is falling apart. This other repair person is well known for being fast, with good communication, and so on. But, I've seen/heard both praise and negative feedback for this other repair person (and I'm certainly disappointed to have my lens fall apart).

So I could probably send my lens back to the unnamed repair person and I suspect it would receive due attention and courtesy. But.....as far as I know, Don has absolutely no negative feedback regarding the quality of his work (certainly none that I've ever encountered). So I'm thinking of sending my lens to Don this time and feeling confident about the results.

So there. I've let off some rant about my current disappointment and given Don some praise at the same time. Now, how am I going to get by without my favorite lens for a while? I do hope it comes back quickly.