Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique

Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique From time to time its been suggested that RFF have a mentor Photography help section in terms of Technique - how to shoot this or that. 1st of all I had to find someone whose work I really like. 2ndly that photog had to be willing help others. That's the catch: so many excellent photogs just are not wiling to make the time for that, or just as likely, simply don't give a damn about helping others. SimonSawSunlight is an excellent up and coming photog whose work seems to go well beyond his 24 years.

You can view Simon's work at http://www.simonbephotography.com/  and www.facebook.com/simonbphotography Simon has been published in in FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), LFI (Leica Fotografie International) and more recently in Radiate Magazine. He also recently had a large solo-exhibition in Berlin. Not too Shabby! So, let us begin this adventure and see where it goes. Thank for taking this on Simon!

hibernation and how to wake up - maybe with a tom story
Old 04-17-2017   #1
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

hibernation and how to wake up - maybe with a tom story

in light and context of recent events, the powers that be have made me understand that it would be appreciated if i posted more on the forum again.

here we go. how you doin. catch me up, tell a story (maybe a tom story), ask me stuff, let me know if i can help, show me a picture taken this month.

in the meantime i'll be thinking about how to stir up some more trouble, save turkey from impending doom, and also, as usual, here's a few pictures:

Old 04-17-2017   #2
B-9
Devin Bro

The last photo... what a puff!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 05-21-2017   #3
reiki_

Hi Simon, do you have any thoughts about advice for someone like me who would like to be a recovering photographer?

Haven't taken a single click in three years. I feel like what's the use, no one is looking at the right pictures anyway, there is no audience.

Old 05-21-2017   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiki_ View Post
Hi Simon, do you have any thoughts about advice for someone like me who would like to be a recovering photographer?

Haven't taken a single click in three years. I feel like what's the use, no one is looking at the right pictures anyway, there is no audience.

F--K the audience. Do it for yourself!

Back home again in Indiana

My Portfolio

Learn from Me! Free tutorials for film and digital and my tested film developing times.

Old 05-22-2017   #5
reiki_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Thanks Chris. Always thought you had wise stuff to say. Guess the next is getting the right camera.

Old 05-22-2017   #6
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Thanks Chris. Always thought you had wise stuff to say. Guess the next is getting the right camera.
The right camera is the one you have in your hand, ready to shoot.

Phil Forrest

Old 05-22-2017   #7
reiki_

Ye thats funny, I really dont have even a single one left.

Old 06-22-2017   #8
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:

travel, no matter how far, and consume good photography. challenge yourself. or just get a new little piece of gear, sometimes that's all it takes.

every once in a while i browse through my pictures from a couple of years ago. i find quality where i didn't see it before and i realise what i am able or would like to do better now.
i also started to shoot news and reportages for a french agency, that generally keeps me on my toes even when my "private" photography is going a bit slow. and it's a bit of a different kind of challenge to my other documentary and street photography.

Old 06-22-2017   #9
yanchep_mike
Always Trying

I am with Chris.

Old 06-22-2017   #10
Archiver

@reiki

Shoot because there is something you want to see. Shoot because it's something you want to remember. Shoot because you can press the button. Shoot because it helps you relax. Shoot because it gives you an excuse not to talk to anyone. Shoot because it gives you an excuse to talk to someone.

Shoot for your own reasons. You are the audience. No camera? Use your phone. No phone? Buy a camera. Just shoot.

Old 06-22-2017   #11
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
in light and context of recent events, the powers that be have made me understand that it would be appreciated if i posted more on the forum again....
Good to hear, Simon. I imagine it's not easy to come up with significant content regularly. But looking forward to more activity from you. Follow your interests and instincts and I'm sure it will be rewarding for us and you.

John

Old 06-22-2017   #12
tom.w.bn

Hi Simon,

a couple of days ago I saw the otherland book review on jch. Glad that I got a copy.

Hope to see some content again.

Old 06-23-2017   #13
emraphoto

Quote:
and amen, hallelujah to that!

Old 06-23-2017   #14
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Is photography the source of the income? And you are not taking pictures, but work somewhere else? Here is nothing wrong with it. I know professional photographers who quit and work in completely different area. Why it has to be different from any other situations. People are changing professions and these days it is nothing unusual.

Or was it about proclaiming yourself as photographer and buying gear, messaging on forums and even writing some taxes off due to "business"?
Can't take pictures anymore? Guess what, it is same like fishing, skying, sweaters knitting, painting and else. It was nothing but hobby and it is over now. Nothing is wrong with it either.

Photography is absolutely not different from any profession or hobby. It lives in you or it is already not.

Old 06-23-2017   #15
PKR

Quote:
Yep ! Only a couple of friends have seen my personal photos. I make them for me.

Old 06-23-2017   #16
Michael Markey

Quote:

.... spot on Chris.

Old 06-23-2017   #17
victoriapio

Quote:

I am in a similar situation. Went to France about three years ago and literally have not taken a snap since then, but for different reasons. But I am getting ready to head to Spain for almost a month so I bought a Mono to go with the M9 and have been photographing after work and on weekends to "get back into shooting shape." Hopefully I will never take that long of a hiatus again.