Could I remove or fill engravings on my M4-P?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
pushto1600

Could I remove or fill engravings on my M4-P?

Hey again everyone. I love my M4-P but there's something about all the branding on this camera that's quite off-putting. I plan to re-skin the camera with new vulcanite without the ugly red "Leitz" logo. I also taped it all up with gaffers tape which sort of does the trick, but I feel like that's a temporary solution. Is there a service that could take off the branding on the top plate of the camera? Is it possible? I'd like my M4-P to be as close as possible to an M-A with an M4 rewind. (Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the original post, what I mean was is there a way to fill in the engravings so it's completely filled in and smooth, not just remove the paint inside the engravings.)

Last edited by pushto1600 : 4 Weeks Ago at 14:28. Reason: wasn't clear enough

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Beemermark

Why not get a can of black spray paint?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
lonemantis

If it's a black chrome or silver chrome camera, you can remove paint from the engravings with pure acetone on a q-tip. You might need a few, depending on how tough the paint is, but it will usually dissolve eventually. Don't try this on black paint, though!

If you ever changed your mind, it could easily be re-filled with new paint.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Dralowid
Michael

If it is a chrome camera suntan cream will remove the paint in the lettering!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

A piece of black tape did the trick for me.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

OP reminds me late Soviet people who tuned their Ladas to look like Mercedes.
Some of them never did this, but worked to get real Mercedes.
For those who can’t get M-A, but wanna be, I recommend to sell M4-P, get M before M4-P and have it send for professional re-painting with engravings filled by soldering.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
pushto1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
OP reminds me late Soviet people who tuned their Ladas to look like Mercedes.
Some of them never did this, but worked to get real Mercedes.
For those who can’t get M-A, but wanna be, I recommend to sell M4-P, get M before M4-P and have it send for professional re-painting with engravings filled by soldering.
Here's the answer I was looking for! Haha, that's a great comparison. College student here so I gotta fake it 'til I make it. So, pro repainting and soldering is the way, huh? Where might I go for that? Krauter? YYE? DAG? I think Cameraworks UK might offer this but I'm NJ based so I'd rather stay in the states.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
pushto1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
A piece of black tape did the trick for me.
I taped mine up too but I was looking for something more enduring. I do like the "gritty" look though.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
pushto1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
If it is a chrome camera suntan cream will remove the paint in the lettering!
black here, why only on chrome cameras?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Find a dentist or dental student friend and see if you can get some amalgam. It'll flow right in there, harden up and you'll be good to go. Of course, it may be black... You could find some silver colored art material like sculpy and fill it in with that. Take the camera to an art store and talk to the person there with the most experience in tinkering with stuff. You'll get it figured out. You could always slap some Bondo in there too.
Phil Forrest

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11
pushto1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonemantis View Post
If it's a black chrome or silver chrome camera, you can remove paint from the engravings with pure acetone on a q-tip. You might need a few, depending on how tough the paint is, but it will usually dissolve eventually. Don't try this on black paint, though!

If you ever changed your mind, it could easily be re-filled with new paint.
thanks for the tips!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #12
pushto1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
Find a dentist or dental student friend and see if you can get some amalgam. It'll flow right in there, harden up and you'll be good to go. Of course, it may be black... You could find some silver colored art material like sculpy and fill it in with that. Take the camera to an art store and talk to the person there with the most experience in tinkering with stuff. You'll get it figured out. You could always slap some Bondo in there too.
Phil Forrest
Hmm... such a simple solution, very interesting. If there's a chance I could do this myself this way I could save hundreds. Thanks! I'll definitely look into this!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
BillBingham2

Nail Polish perhaps? Easy to replace when chipped, perhaps easier to find matching color too.

B2 (;->

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
peterm1

Quote:
Phil Forrest

Assuming your camera is silver.....An art store near me (so I assume many will do likewise) sells super fine metallic powders (bronze, silver etc). But the "silver" one is actually powdered aluminium and I am not by any means certain it will stay silver over time. I have, however, mixed the bronze metallic powder with epoxy for the purpose of making a kind of Japanese inspired repair to a porcelain object which was cracked. This kind of fix is called kintsugi (gold repair) and is intended to be obvious as it become part of the design. I own but have not yet tried to use the aluminium powder in the same manner. But you might be able to experiment and find out how it performs.

If your camera is black similar black oxide powders can also be found at the same place. Even cheaper though (and I expect exactly the same but in bigger containers at a lower price) are the colored oxides used to tint mortar and cement. Such oxides are stable and cheap to buy. But you would need to experiment with what epoxy or pouring compound to use to mix it with and in what proportions. BTW bubbles are a problem with acrylic pouring compounds and require a deft hand to avoid. Also not enough oxide and it will not be completely black. Too much and it will be excessively soft. (I have tried using this stuff with black oxide in it to cast something and know the pitfalls).

In either event I doubt you will be able to make the change invisible without sanding the result flat and level with the top plate and then painting over the lot.

A kintsugi piece. (Just to see what I am talking about)

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
B-9
Devin Bro

Get a M4 top plate.

If you want no script at all - better save the pipe dreams for plumbers until you can afford to be the plumber.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Get a M4 top plate.

If you want no script at all - better save the pipe dreams for plumbers until you can afford to be the plumber.
There is a difference between M4 and M4-P top plates at the accessory/flash shoe. M4-P is hot so the transplant needs an additional shoe and you lose that hot shoe feature.
Phil Forrest

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
halfaninchawater

If it’s a black camera you use use a black “Lacquer Stick” to fill in the lettering. There are videos online showing how to use them. They are available from Micro Tools. Its paint so it will last and is still reversible if needed. It’s better than black tape. May not be your permanent solution but the cost is relatively cheap.

Hope it helps!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #18
aizan

You can remove the current finish, fill in the engravings (soldering, bondo, etc.), then repaint the camera either black or silver (Kanto can do silver).

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #19
ChrisC

If it's white paint on black body; just use a black marker pen to blacken the white lettering, and clean off any overspill on the camera. I did this to the 'made in ....' graffiti on the back of my M8 [great improvement].

I have another digi-M and whilst it was in Wetzlar I asked for no white paint infills. If you ask nicely Leica can infill scripts with white, yellow, black, or red. I always thought the Leica script white on black to be ugly and vulgar corporate graffiti, but my warm yellow on black looks subtler and classy.

.............. Chris

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #20
pushto1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Get a M4 top plate.

it's not that I want it to be a fake M-A, it's just that I think the branding is a bit unsightly

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21
pushto1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
You can remove the current finish, fill in the engravings (soldering, bondo, etc.), then repaint the camera either black or silver (Kanto can do silver).
thanks for the advice! and hey I just watched your MP video a couple of days ago!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22
pushto1600

Quote:
There is a difference between M4 and M4-P top plates at the accessory/flash shoe. M4-P is hot so the transplant needs an additional shoe and you lose that hot shoe feature.
Phil Forrest
yes I definitely wouldn't be willing to forgo a hotshoe as I use it a lot

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
B-9
Devin Bro

The M4 and M4-2/P top plates are virtually identical sans script. Excluding window variations.

There is no physical limitation to using the hot shoe with a M4 top. The space the cold and hot shoes occupy are infact identical. It would be hard to make a M4 hot but pretty easy to make a M4-2/P cold lol.

I rather like the M4-2/P on the front after owning a few. I did the tape thing at first but at some point the tape began to look funny.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24
css9450

Black tape perhaps? Certainly that would be the least-costly solution.

I'm at a loss to think of why this change would be desireable. Does the logo reflect or flare in some way inside the viewfinder?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfaninchawater View Post
If it’s a black camera you use use a black “Lacquer Stick” to fill in the lettering. There are videos online showing how to use them. They are available from Micro Tools. Its paint so it will last and is still reversible if needed. It’s better than black tape. May not be your permanent solution but the cost is relatively cheap.

Hope it helps!
yes...
easy, cover the white infill with black paint stick from micro-tools.com

assuming your M4-P is black chrome as most are

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I used a waxed "China Marker" from a hobby store to blacked out the engraved Leica on my SL. Cost was under $3.00 and is fully reversible. Alcohol preps are enough for removal.

On my M6 I used a red China marker for the M6 engraving. On my 28 Cron I highlighted some of the distance scale in red, and blacked out the metric distance scale.

The China Markers are basically like wax crayons, but in pencil form.

Cal

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushto1600 View Post
thanks for the advice! and hey I just watched your MP video a couple of days ago!
Lol, awesome! Anything Leica-related gets lots of views on YT.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #28
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I like the looks of my M4-P, just as it is.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I like the looks of my M4-P, just as it is.
Though I have offered the OP ideas on how his object might be achieved I agree with you. I had one and thought it looked lovely as is.

Old 1 Week Ago   #30
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushto1600 View Post
Hey again everyone. I love my M4-P but there's something about all the branding on this camera that's quite off-putting. I plan to re-skin the camera with new vulcanite without the ugly red "Leitz" logo. I also taped it all up with gaffers tape which sort of does the trick, but I feel like that's a temporary solution. Is there a service that could take off the branding on the top plate of the camera? Is it possible? I'd like my M4-P to be as close as possible to an M-A with an M4 rewind. (Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the original post, what I mean was is there a way to fill in the engravings so it's completely filled in and smooth, not just remove the paint inside the engravings.)
Contact Youxin Ye http://www.yyecamera.com/index.html

Maybe you can get a paint job in conjunction with your re-skinning project.

I think Y/Y paints M cameras, but if not he can probably refer you to someone who does.