just curious...
Old 11-19-2018   #1
back alley
IMAGES

just curious...

is anyone seriously considering the new r camera for purchase?

Old 11-19-2018   #2
jsrockit

I`m not... it`s still just too big and slow for my type of photography. I feel the APSC Fujis are a better fit. It is cool though...

Old 11-19-2018   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Not me: no interest at all.

If I were interested in this type of camera, I'd be more likely to look at the Nikon Z things, but I had that type of camera in the Leica SL and found that I no longer needed/wanted so much camera for what I do now.

G

Old 11-19-2018   #4
taemo

I have considered the 50R and wouldn't mind giving it a try but what I currently have fulfills most of my photography need.

If I had 10,000$ to waste or sell all my current gear, I would get a 50R with 63mm and 23mm.
This or just get a Leica M10-P

Plus the GFX lenses are ridiculously big, I'm pretty content travelling light with an APS-C or FF kit

Old 11-20-2018   #5
Dogman

Nope.

The 50R looks like a fine camera. I just can't see the benefit for the type of pictures I take.

Old 11-20-2018   #6
Out to Lunch

what is the new r camera...

Old 11-20-2018   #7
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
what is the new r camera...
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...ifilm_gfx_50r/

Old 11-20-2018   #8
BillBingham2

Digital Texas Leica......

Not my style.

B2 (;->

Old 11-20-2018   #9
B-9
Devin Bro

I thought the same, Texas Leica Digital style.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 11-20-2018   #10
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I've been drooling over it since it came out. Maybe next year. With the 23mm lens.

Old 11-20-2018   #11
back alley
IMAGES

if i had the ready cash there would be little hesitation to buy...the body and 2 lenses and i would be happy...but i love my current fuji xe3 set-up and don't want to sell any of my current gear. i think i'll just go home and rearrange my camera bags in hopes that calms me down...

Old 11-20-2018   #12
Darthfeeble

I was ready to go a few months ago but new hearing aids, a tooth extraction and implant and new glasses put an end to those thoughts.

Old 11-20-2018   #13
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
I was ready to go a few months ago but new hearing aids, a tooth extraction and implant and new glasses put an end to those thoughts.

OUCH. Been there, done that, but not all in the same year. Probably an easy $15K for you younger folks that don't even thing about these things -

Old 11-20-2018   #14
Darthfeeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
if i had the ready cash there would be little hesitation to buy...the body and 2 lenses and i would be happy...but i love my current fuji xe3 set-up and don't want to sell any of my current gear. i think i'll just go home and rearrange my camera bags in hopes that calms me down...
Never fails to soothe me. But it isn't long lasting.

Old 11-20-2018   #15
giganova

"New R", wait ... what, is Leica finally releasing the R10 I have been waiting for decades?

Old 11-20-2018   #16
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
"New R", wait ... what, is Leica finally releasing the R10 I have been waiting for decades?
yes...it's a combination film/digital camera...

Old 11-20-2018   #17
nightfly

I will probably buy one before the end of the year while the body + lens deals are still going.

Waiting till they actually ship to read some real world reviews.

I've found myself wanting the digital equivalent of a Mamiya 7 and this looks like it fits the bill. Was originally going to try and save for the Hassleblad X1d but read and heard a lot of negatives about actually using one despite how beautiful they are. This seems like the best alternative for me and signifcantly cheaper. They don't even charge extra for black.

Just debating which lens to buy it with. It doesn't look like they are releasing the new compact 50mm till next year so I'm leaning toward the 63. I tend to like a more normal focal length lens on medium format.

Old 11-20-2018   #18
Contarama

the camera system I would buy should a pot of gold fall into my lap

Old 12-10-2018   #19
back alley
IMAGES

this past weekend i got to play with the 50r body...no battery or lens attached...but it was still a bit of fun to handle. it's like a fuji x body on steroids and i really liked it. it would not replace my xe3 body and lenses but down the road i hope to pick up a used one.

Old 12-10-2018   #20
Ronald M

I would suggest you play with a mirrorless and check the lag in the viewfinder making it impossible to time exposures. Image is jumpy and makes me dizzy. You may not care. I prefer the speed of light like RF or SLR or Dslr.

Old 12-10-2018   #21
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
I would suggest you play with a mirrorless and check the lag in the viewfinder making it impossible to time exposures. Image is jumpy and makes me dizzy. You may not care. I prefer the speed of light like RF or SLR or Dslr.
like i said...i have not played with a 'live' one yet.
my xe fujis are plenty fast for me.

Old 12-10-2018   #22
taemo

The Camera Store had a 50R on their booths and salesman was kind enough to let me play with it and the 32-64mm, 45mm and 63mm lenses for 5-10 minutes

I felt right away at home with the body design as size is similar to the Texas Leicas (6x9 GSW and GW) and Fuji UI very easy to navigate through, all 3 lenses were pleasant to use, sharp and not overly big for the body.
Because of the MF sensor and no OIS, the test shots I took indoor turned out a little soft (ISO 400-800 and wide-open, shutter speed were around 1/25 - 1/50s).

I've been trying to figure out my next camera purchase (Leica M10, Sony A7III or A7RIII and the Fuji GFX 50R) and after playing with this camera, it has bumped into first spot.
I could see my self shooting exclusively with the 50R and 32-64 for landscape and picking up either prime for low light (I use my iphone for snapshots now a days anyway)
I still have a year to decide since I will not need a high-res camera until 2020 (big vacation planned for my wife) so I'm crossing my fingers on snagging a 50R and 32-64mm once the hype has faded.

Old 12-11-2018   #23
nightfly

I'm in same boat as you taemo and was thinking of the same cameras. Everything I've read led me to believe I wouldn't like a Sony. Everyone seems to say it makes great images but the user experience makes it really not very enjoyable to use.

I have an M9 which is great but I've craved something with some more modern features and higher resolution for special images. I used to use a Mamiya 6 or 7 for these sort of images, but I'm pretty much over scanning film.

I played with the 50R at the store and went home and pre-ordered one with the 63 but am sort of having second thoughts and might swap it to the 32-64 while these lens deals are still going.

Originally was thinking I wanted something smaller and lighter but now thinking it's a big camera anyway, the versitility of the zoom might make more sense. If I want smaller later I could get the 50mm that they are coming out with next year which promises to be smaller and lighter than the 63 or the 45.

Old 12-12-2018   #24
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Originally was thinking I wanted something smaller and lighter but now thinking it's a big camera anyway, the versitility of the zoom might make more sense. If I want smaller later I could get the 50mm that they are coming out with next year which promises to be smaller and lighter than the 63 or the 45.
Makes sense ...your new plan.

Old 12-12-2018   #25
Out to Lunch

I'll get one when I win the lottery. Today, I'd rather spend my money on traveling with the cameras and lenses I own...too many of both anyway.

Old 12-12-2018   #26
dacaccia
on&off

Such a long time I waited for an affordable digital MF camera... now I got the 50R, with 63. It is great to use, not too heavy, like a bigger X-E3, and very usable for street photography.

Old 12-14-2018   #27
nightfly

Would love to hear more about your experiences with the 50R and the 63 and see some photos if you've got any you'd like to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaccia View Post
Such a long time I waited for an affordable digital MF camera... now I got the 50R, with 63. It is great to use, not too heavy, like a bigger X-E3, and very usable for street photography.

Old 12-14-2018   #28
Bill Clark

Interesting camera.

But I don’t need it.

Fuji does make excellent products.

Old 05-03-2019   #29
Darthfeeble

Life is Good! After a year of lust and disappointment, I finally was able to swing the GFX 50 R and the zoom. I even sold off enough gear to get the 23mm too. I'll have the wide in a few days but the zoom is mighty fine too. Took it out for the first real efforts today. All hand held and it shows in the pixel peeping but the definition is amazing. Not for the weak though. It's a pretty husky rig.

Old 05-04-2019   #30
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

When my ship comes in... I'll get onboard.

I'll get one in a year or two but not this year.

Mike

P.S. If someone considers this [my] post to be lacking in content or not adding to the "conversation", just ignor it. No need to call me out on it.