A7r with RF glass
Old 11-04-2013   #1
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
A7r with RF glass

Here's a thread for good samples of A7r performance with RF glass. Believe it or not, credible samples are only now becoming available, and most of our previous "evidence" has been hearsay--albeit from some reasonably creditable sources, like Huff. Samples have either had no detailed corners or they have been very close, like Huff's boots shot with the 50 lux asph.

Today that changes.

First lens we get to really see? The tiny and great Summicron 40/2, aka m-rokkor 40/2

peep away at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/makten/...h/10675814235/

and here is the cv 35/1.2 no corners but:


Huge shout out to Martin Hertsius from making these images with the SOny A7r
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013   #2
mgilbuena
San Francisco Bay Area
 
mgilbuena's Avatar
 
mgilbuena is offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Age: 37
Posts: 223
That looks great. I've been watching the A7r news daily and previously had one reserved. Realizing that I've shot this entire year on film - and with Sony promising several more new cameras for Q1 2014 - I've decided to cancel the order. These photos look great...

However, being a wide-angle (18-21) RF shooter, I'll wait and see.
__________________
Tumblr | Flickr | Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013   #3
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 20,058
I have to admit I like the look of the last one.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013   #4
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
happy birthday
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013   #5
Vickko
Registered User
 
Vickko is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Age: 60
Posts: 2,823
Thanks for the images.

I find the double-image bokeh of the third photo really disturbing, especially at the red collar of the gentleman in the background.
I didn't think the 40/2 Summicron did that. My impressions of the 40/2 Summicron are that it renders like the 35/2 king-of-bokeh.

Or is it just me? Or is it digital artifact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Here's a thread for good samples of A7r performance with RF glass. ....

indoors:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5483/1...5731d866_b.jpg

Huge shout out to Martin Hertsius from making these images with the SOny A7r
__________________
Vick

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013   #6
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickko View Post
Thanks for the images.

I find the double-image bokeh of the third photo really disturbing, especially at the red collar of the gentleman in the background.
I didn't think the 40/2 Summicron did that. My impressions of the 40/2 Summicron are that it renders like the 35/2 king-of-bokeh.

Or is it just me? Or is it digital artifact?
good eye.

Actually the 40/2 is complained about by some for it's bokeh:

http://forum.mflenses.com/m-rokkor-40-2-t62484.html

go down a few posts

now I know what the guy was talking about
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013   #7
rbelyell
Registered User
 
rbelyell is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,340
yeah, i didnt like the look of that one either. the last one had an interesting look. the first two i'd be looking for superior resolution and edge performance, and i couldnt make a judgement on either issue.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013   #8
kanzlr
Hexaneur
 
kanzlr's Avatar
 
kanzlr is offline
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna (Austria)
Age: 39
Posts: 1,002
bokeh schmokeh
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2013   #9
jarski
Registered User
 
jarski's Avatar
 
jarski is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,601
uh..oh... so this camera is already on shops somewhere

thanks for sharing! please dont stop
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013   #10
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
A7r vs M240
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1791650...7637294858733/

note the incredible centers on the 28cron, far sharper than m240

edges of course....nobody ever wants to show us any edge \
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013   #11
fuwen
Registered User
 
fuwen's Avatar
 
fuwen is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 54
Posts: 437
Got a reply from Zeiss regarding adapting ZMs on Sony mirror less. A little bit disappointing. But the key is 'perfect match and best image quality', so maybe with a little bit compromise can still consider .....

One thing, Rollei is so advance, their wide angle 40/2.8 HFT Sonnar is digital ready so many years back! : D No wonder the 35mm on latest Sony are all Sonnar design rather than Biogon or Distagon .......


Dear Mr. Chang,

Thank you for your inquiry to ZEISS.

Like all M-mount lenses, our ZM lenses are developed for analogue and digital M-mount rangefinder cameras. They work perfectly on the digital Leica M models (e.g. M8, M9 and M).

Because all other mirrorless digital cameras (e.g. Sony E-mount bodies) cannot really handle the step chief ray angles of compact wide-angle M-mount lenses, there will appear a certain amount of vignetting and color shading with those cameras.
So we cannot really recommend to adapt any M-mount lens below 35mm focal length to a mirrorless camera.
For perfect matching and best image quality, we recommend to use dedicated wide-angle lenses or adapted SLR-lenses on mirrorless cameras.

Hoping to be of service to you we kindly ask you to contact us again should you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Bertram Hoenlinger
__________________
SONY Alpha 7R1 7R2 Rolleiflex SL2000F
Carl Zeiss C/Y T* - QBM HFT - ZM T* - ZF T* - Otus T* - Batis T*

My website on Classical Music and Photography
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013   #12
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Hi Fuwen,

You may already know they have a new series of MF lenses in the works especially for the A7r. These will be in addition to the Zeiss AF primes and Zooms.

That glass will take practical landscape shooting to a new level, for me at least.

For street shooting I think many zms may work fine.

I wish CV would step up and provide some very small designs, for I fear zeiss may ignor this aspect: my zm 18 is fantastic, but big and heavy for an f/4 lens.

But to be fair it seems they have done really well with the FE 35--which I would not hesitate to own except I have 6 or 7 35s as it is.

Whatever one's personal preference it's becoming increasingly clear the A7r is a landmark imaging tool. Smaller, lighter, sharper and more flexible than any camera made, ever.

The other companies are going to have to step up. But Sony does have the advantage of being a big sensor producer.

May not be the best tactic to wipe out their customers.

Of course, Canon might wake up and build a new short flange RF shooting A7r killer, the tech is basically ready. Simple use of super thin glass over their sensors could eclipse A7r performance with RF wides easily. However they may not realize how that feat has such marketing potential.

RF as focusing solution may have limited appeal but tiny ultra sharp primes for full frame are like rare earth.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013   #13
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
OK here we go, A7r with a bunch of stuff:

http://siammirrorless.com/board/inde...2&topic=1644.0
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013   #14
lam
Dave
 
lam's Avatar
 
lam is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 945
That last thread pretty much had me drooling at the usability of all those old lenses..
__________________
website twitter
  Reply With Quote

Drooling thread! WOW!
Old 11-08-2013   #15
eleskin
Registered User
 
eleskin is offline
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,075
Drooling thread! WOW!

That thread with all those lenses tested was AWESOME! This Sony really is something special to those of us who treat lenses as our paint brushes!
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013   #16
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleskin View Post
That thread with all those lenses tested was AWESOME! This Sony really is something special to those of us who treat lenses as our paint brushes!
Those guys did it right---well of course some nice infinity landscapes would have been more useful, but they shot some nice stuff!

And guess what: they are the first!

All these other canned "reviews" are eclipsed by a thread with some lens porn and decent photography.

I doubt it took more than an afternoon

And guess what again: these are the same sort of guys, like us, who showed Sony what to do with their 2010 E-Mount: toss the native glass in the trash and dust off the good stuff!

And who started moaning just a few months later: Full Frame! Full Frame! Full Frame!!

What do they say about the arc of history........
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013   #17
NazgulKing
Registered User
 
NazgulKing is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Hi Fuwen,

You may already know they have a new series of MF lenses in the works especially for the A7r. These will be in addition to the Zeiss AF primes and Zooms.

That glass will take practical landscape shooting to a new level, for me at least.

For street shooting I think many zms may work fine.

I wish CV would step up and provide some very small designs, for I fear zeiss may ignor this aspect: my zm 18 is fantastic, but big and heavy for an f/4 lens.

But to be fair it seems they have done really well with the FE 35--which I would not hesitate to own except I have 6 or 7 35s as it is.

Whatever one's personal preference it's becoming increasingly clear the A7r is a landmark imaging tool. Smaller, lighter, sharper and more flexible than any camera made, ever.

The other companies are going to have to step up. But Sony does have the advantage of being a big sensor producer.

May not be the best tactic to wipe out their customers.

Of course, Canon might wake up and build a new short flange RF shooting A7r killer, the tech is basically ready. Simple use of super thin glass over their sensors could eclipse A7r performance with RF wides easily. However they may not realize how that feat has such marketing potential.

RF as focusing solution may have limited appeal but tiny ultra sharp primes for full frame are like rare earth.
I would be happier if Zeiss were to make MF lenses to replace their current selection of WA M mount lenses, all of which barely or do not work on the A7r or A7.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013   #18
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
I would be happier if Zeiss were to make MF lenses to replace their current selection of WA M mount lenses, all of which barely or do not work on the A7r or A7.
They are making a line new line of mf glass for A7s in addition to AF line.

Many would disagree with your "do not or barely" remark, but everyone gets an opinion.

Only images will settle the matter in a persons mind, and they will come. You may change your mind- or not
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013   #19
NazgulKing
Registered User
 
NazgulKing is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
They are making a line new line of mf glass for A7s in addition to AF line.

Many would disagree with your "do not or barely" remark, but everyone gets an opinion.

Only images will settle the matter in a persons mind, and they will come. You may change your mind- or not
You have evidence otherwise regarding the up to -3EV light loss at the corners, never mind the color shifts with say lenses like the 21/2.8 and the 25/2.8?
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013   #20
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
You have evidence otherwise regarding the up to -3EV light loss at the corners, never mind the color shifts with say lenses like the 21/2.8 and the 25/2.8?
perhaps your could post links to support your contention?
thanks

colorshift will be correctable both in camera and PP, but edge performance is useful.

Since the camera has incredible rez and excellent iso performance light loss will not preclude good images----it may in some circumstances.

Most samples now are jpeg with early crude NR. Raws are looking much better.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013   #21
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,006
I would love to see large size images posted, along with a critique on some specific aspects of the images. The posted thread with rich color photos does not impress me.Maybe it is the landscape mode?
It does have many thousand views, showing a big level of interest in how the two new cameras are doing.
__________________
- Raid

________________


http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013   #22
NazgulKing
Registered User
 
NazgulKing is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
perhaps your could post links to support your contention?
thanks

colorshift will be correctable both in camera and PP, but edge performance is useful.

Since the camera has incredible rez and excellent iso performance light loss will not preclude good images----it may in some circumstances.

Most samples now are jpeg with early crude NR. Raws are looking much better.
This guy went ahead and did some tests. http://www.flickr.com/photos/leo_roo...7636975598525/ No Zeiss, but close enough.

It does not matter if the NR is crude or not. If I so much as see any color shift or excessive vignetting, the camera is out.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013   #23
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
This guy went ahead and did some tests. http://www.flickr.com/photos/leo_roo...7636975598525/ No Zeiss, but close enough.

It does not matter if the NR is crude or not. If I so much as see any color shift or excessive vignetting, the camera is out.
Haha, well for you both Sony A7s are "out", as is every digital camera, because that glass shifts color on everything.

Uncorrected the digital Ms shift color on a host of glass.

Those week old early samples not super useful to judge anything except center sharpness, I'm afraid.

Fantastic glass on film though.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013   #24
maitani
Registered User
 
maitani's Avatar
 
maitani is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 737
all that a7 talk is giving me gas, m240 gas...
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013   #25
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by maitani View Post
all that a7 talk is giving me gas, m240 gas...
Grab one, I hear they are finally obtanium

Meanwhile, while he's talking Leica R, I like this guy:

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/201...leica-r-glass/
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013   #26
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Elmar collapsable on A7

http://siammirrorless.com/board/inde...13665#msg13665
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013   #27
zuikologist
.........................
 
zuikologist is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 1,875
What is happening in the top right of the photo of the building, at f2 - strange flare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Here's a thread for good samples of A7r performance with RF glass. Believe it or not, credible samples are only now becoming available, and most of our previous "evidence" has been hearsay--albeit from some reasonably creditable sources, like Huff. Samples have either had no detailed corners or they have been very close, like Huff's boots shot with the 50 lux asph.

Today that changes.

First lens we get to really see? The tiny and great Summicron 40/2, aka m-rokkor 40/2

@f/2


@5.6


indoors:


funny enough I just bought one of these right here at RFF last week for the A7r TY again, Darius

peep away at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/makten/...h/10675814235/

and here is the cv 35/1.2 no corners but:



Huge shout out to Martin Hertsius from making these images with the SOny A7r
__________________
<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=867'>My Gallery</a>
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013   #28
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
opps that one is gone
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013   #29
NazgulKing
Registered User
 
NazgulKing is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Haha, well for you both Sony A7s are "out", as is every digital camera, because that glass shifts color on everything.

Uncorrected the digital Ms shift color on a host of glass.

Those week old early samples not super useful to judge anything except center sharpness, I'm afraid.

Fantastic glass on film though.
Are you that desperate to justify your purchase that one moment you wave your hand and say that it's not important and next moment you say the samples are not useful enough? Stick to the point! Honestly, I can't care less. What it just means is that I just saved myself 2K USD. I never expected the A7/r to work well from the start and I am not the least surprised by any of the results anyway. Only the most desperate/deluded would have hoped for otherwise.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2013   #30
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
A7r + 50 cron

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?i...=asc&no=793230
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013   #31
aeturnum
Registered User
 
aeturnum is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 159
The production copies are out in some (all?) parts of Asia now, here are samples with various RF lenses:

SONY A7R With Rangefinder Lenses
SONY A7 With Rangefinder Lenses

To me it looks like the A7 does a bit better on the vignetting, but I haven't (and probably won't) pixel-peep too deeply. Interesting to see the difference between Leica and other sensor manufacturers on an even(ish) playing field.
__________________
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013   #32
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Leica 24/2.8 aperture unknown

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wattowatto/10875679465/
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013   #33
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Summilux 35 pre-asph (aperture unkown)



Full size can be seen here
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013   #34
gb hill
Registered User
 
gb hill's Avatar
 
gb hill is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Age: 60
Posts: 5,871
Wow thanks for that last link. I especially was impressed with Canon FD glass(which I use). This camera would be a very good choice for my lenses if I do ever decide to go digital or any one else who uses Canon FD glass.
__________________
Greg
flickr
Bessa R & L
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013   #35
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Here's a great little blog with a bunch unusual RF glass and the sony A7(not R):

http://cityusam01.blogspot.com/2013/11/sony-a7_14.html
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013   #36
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Canon LTM 35/2:
http://flic.kr/p/hAG8xM
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013   #37
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810

α7R+Summicron 35mm F2 ASPH by sgbk, on Flickr

summicron 35/2 asph
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013   #38
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
cv 35/1.4 nokton, baby A7r:
http://flic.kr/p/hzR7gr
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013   #39
uhoh7
Registered User
 
uhoh7 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,810
Another very interesting few shots:
http://forum.xitek.com/thread-1234960-1-1-1.html
cv 28/2 with A7 not r

looking pretty darn respectable.
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013   #40
rbelyell
Registered User
 
rbelyell is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,340
wow, those are impressive. my take away is i still dont like the cv35/1.4!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:23.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.