Scanner for Digital Contact Sheets?
Old 10-30-2013   #1
adam satushek

Scanner for Digital Contact Sheets?

Hey everyone,

I am looking for an inexpensive (ideally sub $300, but could maybe push to $500 if needed) flatbed scanner that is large enough to scan a full roll of 135 or 120 color negative film. A model in current production would be ideal. Does such a scanner exist? I know people like the Epson V series, but the scan area is only 8x10 inches I believe.

The use would be just quick scans contact sheet style that I could slightly enlarge to say a 13x19 enlarged contact. Just to view the images and make selections.

The quality of the scanner does not have to be any better than for these slight enlargements as I have a drum scanner to handle high res stuff. I have been shooting rangefinders a ton this year and trying to develop a new workflow to deal with a large volume of negs/rolls of film. I have been a 4x5/8x10 shooter for years, only using small format rangefinders occasionally, so this increased volume is a change for me.

Any suggestions on a scanner that could work for this?

Thanks,
Adam

P.S. Ideally I would just take the time to wet mount each roll to my drum. But with a very hectic work schedule on top of my graduate program (not photography) I have not been able to make time for this recently.

Old 11-06-2013   #2
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

HP Scanjet 5(?) SCSI did this for me - it has an 8.5x14 illuminator lid option.

But why not just buy an A4 Hakuba portable light table, shoot with a camera, and invert?

Dante

Old 11-06-2013   #3
adam satushek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
HP Scanjet 5(?) SCSI did this for me - it has an 8.5x14 illuminator lid option.

But why not just buy an A4 Hakuba portable light table, shoot with a camera, and invert?

Dante
Hi Dante,

Thank you for your reply. I will look into the Scanjet 5. I would prefer a new scanner as I am nervous buying this kind of thing used, but it could be the best option.

As for using a camera as a scanner....the only digital camera I have is a canon point and shoot. Its not bad, but as a scanner I believe it will fall short. If I still had my 5dmkii this could be a good option, but when I sold that for my drum scanner I sort of abandoned shooting digital for the time being. But its an interesting thought that I will consider....doesn't seem as quick or easy to me as a properly sized flatbed...but could still do the trick.

Thanks,
Adam