Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 01-02-2020   #81
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Lynn --

I had no idea. How often we have no idea. I am grateful you have this outlet to express your pain and to find sincere empathy from people who love you and your pictures. Maybe we can all be grateful for that.

Old 01-02-2020   #82
Greg Maslak

Lynnb, In the short time that I have been on the forum, I have grown to appreciate the photos, posts, and comments from many of my fellow members, but none more than yours. The photo of your wife and the story of your family’s situation touched us all. That you afford us the time you do is truly remarkable and much appreciated. I sincerely wish you and your family the hope you seek in this new time ahead, and that there will be many more happy moments like the one in the photo.

Old 01-02-2020   #83
valdas

One of my favorites in 2019. Why? It's nothing special, but it was taken during the family holiday trip (the time I value the most) and on the photo are my twin boys.

Old 01-02-2020   #84
lynnb

Thank you Charles, Helen, Steve, LCSmith and Greg, for your kind words and support - they mean a lot. Now you know why I’m on this board so much

Sailor: love that picture of Boris, cute and alert
Bullterrier: your picture of the guy on the bench made me smile
John: well done on a different perspective, quite a difficult feat for this building
Narsuitus: a strong study in texture, I like the POV and composition
Zeno: what can I say, your pictures always stimulate the mind as well as the eye
Raydm6: well done with your iPhone, I like the play with scale.. does the sculpture move? I’ve seen a similar one in Sydney where the leaves and entire sculpture are constantly in motion with the wind
davidnewtonguitars: classic documentary portrait, nice work!
Vince: great shot. I admire your Mapping the West project, a well deserved success. Looking forward to new work with this evolving story-telling approach
John: wow, lucky guy to have a relationship with such a magnificent bird. Terrific shot
Pan: love your photos and always look forward to seeing them. In your case picking a favourite would’ve been a tough task. I’m glad your 2019 was a good year for you and hope 2020 is even better
Jordan: that’s a great XPAN shot. I agree with earlier comments. I’ve always wanted to try shooting something like native 1:2 and this just makes me want to do it. I’m currently trying to convert a Kodak No 1A Autographic Brownie to 120 which will hopefully yield 11x6cm.
Greg: A great pair of pictures, so good to see your son bonding with that Nikkormat. Great camera.
Peter: You caught the magic…
Dektol Dan: You made the right choice! Wonderful light and rendering, I think the flare adds to it.
Raid: Beautiful, painterly photo. The M8 and Zeiss lens do great things with colour.
Shimokita: lyrical… Michael Kenna’s landscapes come to mind. I like the movement in the second photo.
sidelocke: I wish I could see this in a larger size. Is that a dog they’re walking? Beautiful, serene landscape
Jim B: Masterful, tender portrait. Love your portraiture work.
wwfloyd: fun shot. I’ve been rafting only once, on the Snake River. Thrilling and terrifying in equal measure.
andyturk: great colour shot. I can only imagine what #1 was
Kivis: You got him good all right.. I like that he’s in near-silhouette. I like the dapper 9yr old too. Both these images work really well, I can see why they’re your favourites.
Erik: your powers of observation are a reason I look forward to visiting this site almost every day. You see stories everywhere. Thank you for your continuous stream of inspiration, and endless knowledge.
Stephen: Good on you for overcoming hesitation and starting this street portrait series. A strong portrait. Good luck with the project!
Nick: What serendipity - great double exposure
Mike: wonderful shot with the M5; you make your own magic . Thanks for your continued support.
Melancholy: Yes, congratulations to your daughter! How rewarding to create this photo of her artistry!
Guth: Great capture. Love the expression on the little boy’s face. Leicas are wonderful for this sort of photography.
Keith: Your documentary work inspires… I admired this portrait the moment I first saw it.
Deardorff38: the print of your friend and his dog is so touching and beautiful. Thank you.
Steve: the hide-and-seek picture is wonderful. What a special moment. The colour is beautiful too, despite the underexposure.
Shawn: lovely! The Canon lens on your A7RII rendering is special; the emotion of the photo even more so.
Axel: delicate and beautiful, contemplative… I am reminded of the poems of the Tao Te Ching
farlymac: a reminder that life’s simple pleasures can be beautiful as well as tasty. Who needs GAS when one can lust for that juicy red tomato!
ChipMcD: interesting contrast between earth and heavens with the church in between, and nice work with your SWC
Mark: lovely shot, it has a strong American West feel, like the photographs of Robert Adams
Richard: love this shot. Classic street and a visual treat in pattern and synchronicity. Well done, and from the chest, too.
Sara: You didn’t need to take a lot of pictures, this is such a lovely image. I could live with this every day, and never be bored.
John: Love is beautiful, and so is this photo of the young couple on the train
luuca: love the composition, the moment! What a great christening of your “new” M3!
cassel: love the colour, and the feel of this. Home is an emotion.
dourbalistar: wonderful star trails! The back story makes me envious, living as I do in the perpetual wash of light of a big city. Good luck with the astrophotography!
Helen: what can I say, I am deeply touched and appreciative of your sharing this (and other) special photos of Eric. I wish you happiness and, in time, a new sense of fulfilment and purpose in your new path through life.
chipgreenberg: a well composed and very nice study in colour, shapes and tone! Do you enjoy abstract painting?
analoged: BW: cute! A special photo at dinner time. Love the eyes… Colour: iconic view. The Australian Prime Minister would agree*
LCSmith: a fine BW study which cries out to be printed. I hope you have?
Steve: a tender photo well captured, love the Sonnar rendering
Joan: great street shot. Love it.
Charles: Stunning shot of the Dartmoor ponies. A beauty! I hope you’ve printed it
Steve: Lovely shot of your wife at a special moment.
Valdas: our favourite pictures are frequently those with the closest emotional connection and memories.. nice photo of your twin boys.

To all: thank you for sharing your favourite pictures in this thread. Please excuse my comments; these are just my personal impressions... I appreciate them all! I'm not a critic! If you haven’t yet added yours here, please consider putting your favourite photo of 2019 in the thread. All are welcome - this is not a competition!

Thank you also for the warm and kind thoughts and support. It is deeply appreciated. Many of you give me inspiration every day. For that also I thank you!

*While Australia burns in the worst bushfire season in recorded history with many dead and over a thousand homes destroyed with no end in sight, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison was secretly taking a Hawaiian holiday.
Flickr

Old 01-03-2020   #85
raydm6

Quote:
Raydm6: well done with your iPhone, I like the play with scale.. does the sculpture move? I’ve seen a similar one in Sydney where the leaves and entire sculpture are constantly in motion with the wind
Lynn, first thank you, and my thoughts and prayers are with you, your lovely wife, and family.

If I recollect correctly, this sculpture is stationary.

A little background:
Isa Genzken’s “Rose III” Debuts in Zuccotti Park in Lower Manhattan

Wishing you peace Lynn...

Old 01-03-2020   #86
Vince Lupo

Many thanks for your comments Lynn and for initiating this thread!

Flickr Albums: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

Check Out Our Latest Work On Our Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 01-03-2020   #87
robert blu
quiet photographer

This is a wonderful thread, thanks Lynn for starting it. There are many gems here, and I'm speaking of photos and stories.
I am in a little "refreshing pause" from the internet spending not much time online but I'll add my contribution in a short time. Thanks again Lynn, the passion for photography you share with us and your dedication to your family are an example not only for me but I guess for many other friends here.

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-03-2020   #88
JohnWolf

Yes, one more thanks to Lynn and everyone for this thread. I lost interest in RFF, forum life in general, and had my history and account deleted. I'm slowly easing back in, I hope with a new perspective. Threads like this make it a pleasure to visit again.

John

Old 01-03-2020   #89
raid
Dad Photographer

The posted images look just great to me here. Thanks.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-03-2020   #90
v0sh

For obvious reasons:

Instagram

Old 01-03-2020   #91
mcfingon
Western Australia

Wishing you more love and kindness to share with your daughters and wife Lynn. And as many smiles as possible like in your photo of Sue. We have a loving and laughing buddha (or Budai) who lights up our garden with his good-humoured approach to life. My wife's friend was moving away from Albany and he needed a new home, so now we get to smile back at him as we pass.

Sony A7III Jupiter-3
John Mc

Old 01-03-2020   #92
MJ Buckpitt

Lynn, First thank you for sharing, and my thoughts and are with you, your wife, and your family.

This little guy has more than a few cognitive challenges to climb over in his near future. The image captured him at his wistful best.

Jian, Starbucks, Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA
by Mel Buckpitt, on Flickr

Old 01-04-2020   #93
Deardorff38

Lynnb, Thank you for starting this thread, for your comments, and for sharing the story of your situation. It's a beautiful photograph of your wife in a happy moment. May 2020 bring you many more of those moments.

Old 01-04-2020   #94
chambrenoire

This has to be my favourite from 2019! A friend and I did a little roadtrip through Ukraine. We had stopped the car to check out some Soviet war memorial by the road out in the countryside when I saw this lady cycling towards/past us with the hay fork on the back of the bike. Quickly pointed the Contax G1 and snapped. I never thought that I'd "nailed" the shot because she was moving fast and the composing was tight with the 45mm, but it turned out OK.

Untitled by Mattia Marchi, on Flickr

Old 01-04-2020   #95
farlymac
PF McFarland

Thank you, Lynnb, for all you contribute to RFF, and for the kind remarks on my photo. I wish that you and the missus did not have to go through what you do with the daughters, and I laud you both for the perseverance to continue caring and treating them on your own. I hope for the best in all your futures.

PF

Old 01-04-2020   #96
DaveTaylor

Here is my favourite photo of 2019, my wife (of 50 yrs) taking a break from fall garden clean up. I like it because of the subject, of course, and because of the colours and contrast.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ia6mx5]Happy Gardener

Old 01-04-2020   #97
Peter Jennings

Thanks for starting this thread, Lynn! It's an exercise I'd never thought about before. Definitely tough to make a decision. This is not my best, but has to be my favorite. Not just for the subject (my son) but for the tool (the Lego camera we built together). I hope the coming year brings you and everyone else joyous moments to capture.

[IMG]Untitled by Peter Jennings, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 01-05-2020   #98
steve kessel
steve kessel

Lynn

Thank you for this thread and for putting us in the picture about your family circumstances and the suffering you all have to endure. I'm in awe at the fabulous photos you post day after day and your considered and generous comments on our work knowing what I do now.

With all good wishes

Steve

Old 01-05-2020   #99
KM-25

Wish there were a better way to show photos on here. I don't use flickr or hosting sites so this is all you get I guess.

I think I made about 140,000 images in 2019, my best year ever in terms of career. But here is one I especially like, an aerial of tree shadows in snow:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fall_Snow_Aerial.jpg (22.3 KB, 28 views)

Old 01-05-2020   #100
BillBlackwell

Weird choice as a "favorite" for the year, but I like its simplicity and the way the OOF areas frame the leaf in the center. Not the best I can do, but it's among my favorites for the year.

Leica M10-P
CV 75mm Heliar Classic

Old 01-06-2020   #101
EliasK

I am never satisfied from my photos, but this from 2019 makes me smile

FM2_Rtro100_Rdnl_11-10-19_061 by Elias__K, on Flickr

Old 01-06-2020   #102
Rayt

L9997778 by ray tai, on Flickr

I relate to this salaryman. Can I still feel? Sums up the year for me.

Old 01-09-2020   #103
robert blu
quiet photographer

It took me a few days to make a selection but here I'am with my favorite photo from 2019:

Why this photo? Eriberto is a painter and photographer, friend of mine since many decades here at the vernissage of his photo exhibition in 2019.

Eriberto will be 90 in a few weeks and in spite of his age, of the loss his wife last year, of a difficult surgery he went through a few months ago still is very active in photography and in painting.

He's now working on his next photo exhibition!

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-09-2020   #104
Solinar
Analog Preferred

There is one from the past year, that was with my most basic 35mm camera - which I paid $35.00.

From second roll run through a Voigtländer Vito II klappkamera, circa 1954.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 01-09-2020   #105
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
It took me a few days to make a selection but here I'am with my favorite photo from 2019:

Why this photo? Eriberto is a painter and photographer, friend of mine since many decades here at the vernissage of his photo exhibition.

Eriberto will be 90 in a few weeks and in spite of his age, of the loss his wife last year, of a difficult surgery he went through a few months ago still is very active in photography and in painting.

He's now working on his next photo exhibition!
This is beautiful. I am 64 years old, and seeing this artist being around 90 gives me hope!

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-09-2020   #106
Derek Leath

Thanks for letting me share some of my work here, and it's been great to see others work as well.
Not sure why I like this image so much, just something about it.

Ship Wreck
by
Derek Leath
on Flickr

Old 01-17-2020   #107
Ambro51
Collector/Photographer

]. Not Great by any means but the fruit of a successful repair. It made me realize “I can fix these things!” Taken with 1928 QRS Kamra. F 7.7 Graf Anastigmat