Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Fed 1 film transport jammed
Old 12-15-2019   #1
snapper78

Fed 1 film transport jammed

A few years ago I bought this early Fed and while debating with myself whether to sell it on eBay for spares or repair decided that I might try to fix it. So far no joy. Following the instructions in the Maizenberg book to the best of my limited ability I have discovered that the shutter curtains seem OK and they can be wound on by using the speed dial. However the film transport cog will not move in either direction no matter where the shoot/rewind lever is set. Any suggestions for how to unjam it, or should I return to my spares or repair idea? At the moment I have a box of bits, which I think I can reassemble. I am quite some way from complete disassembly. I am also considering selling it as a kit of parts, with lens and case.

Old 12-15-2019   #2
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Maybe it's something you can put aside until you retire , of late I've been having fun with inoperative Kowa Six camera and lens and now I'm repairing some used Kowa Six lenses for a camera shop in town . Winters are long if you're a motorcyclist . Hobbies are good for you ! Peter

Old 12-16-2019   #3
snapper78

I'm already retired. Grim reaper the next stop on the journey.

Old 12-16-2019   #4
Mr_Flibble

The rewind lever should connect or disconnect the sprocket wheels (and the winding knob ratchet).

As I recall on the Zorki there is a screw inside the sprocket wheel axle that connects the mechanism to the rewind lever.

If the winding knob itself is actually jammed, I think you might have screwed it down too tight on its stem. If the set screw in the side of the knob isn't tightened properly the knob will screw down further and further until it jams against the body.

Old 12-16-2019   #5
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^^ Well lets hope that's the distant future . Peter

Old 12-16-2019   #6
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Rick has it right, it is simple enough to take the whole winding-on mechanism apart, clean and lubricate it, and install it back correctly with a few simple tools. The first job is to check to see if the set-screw in the knob is existing, and probably loose.

Old 12-16-2019   #7
snapper78

As far as I can see the problem has nothing to do with the actual wind-on knob but with the film transport sprocket. Total disassembly is perhaps the only answer if I can manage it.

Old 12-16-2019   #8
Crazy Fedya

If advance knob is screwed on too far, and then locked, it will prevent it from moving. Try to unscrew locking screw without removing it, unscrew advance knob a little, and see if that will free up the film advance.

Old 12-31-2019   #9
snapper78

The solution may be the screw in the film transport shaft which seems to be missing. Scavenge one? Meanwhile I have bought what seems to be a working Fed 1. Awaiting results. The lab seems to be on holiday.

Old 12-31-2019   #10
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Those are simple cameras. Google fedka for Zorki disassembly. Those are exact instructions and the best. I rebuilt several Zorki based on this.

Old 01-06-2020   #11
snapper78

I have postponed work on this camera. Perhaps I will return after fiddling with some Zorkis.