Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 01-12-2020   #121
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Oh, and I ordered an E39 model Elmar 90/4, so my A36 version will be expendable. If it's any good (haven't test shot it yet, but it looks clean), I'll send it your way, Chris.

PF

Phil sent me his extra 90mm a few days before Christmas, and I began shooting with it right away! Unfortunately, I'm so far behind in getting stuff scanned that I didn't get any of the photos I shot with the 90s scanned until last night. These three photos are from the first two rolls of film that I shot with it.

I love the lens! Thanks again, Phil

The two houses in the photos above are both located on Mulberry Street in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana. I photographed them on December 20th, 2019.

This building is in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. It was moved last year to its current location on the southeast corner of Harrison Street and Superior Street last year. It had been on the north side of Superior Street before that.

Old 01-12-2020   #122
helenhill
mod chasing light

Always loved your film work...sooo GOOD !
beautiful tonal range, refined , elegant Yum

Old 01-12-2020   #123
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Always loved your film work...sooo GOOD !
beautiful tonal range, refined , elegant Yum

Thanks, Helen. Its been fun shooting film again!

Old 01-13-2020   #124
farlymac
PF McFarland

You're quite welcome, Chris. I knew you could put it to good use.

PF

Old 01-13-2020   #125
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I recently got a good deal on an old all-chrome Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM lens, which I am very impressed with. The resolution across the whole frame, even at wider apertures, is much better than the Summitar; that works better for my work, which is largely architectural. I also like the wide focusing ring; easier for me to use than the little focus tab on the Summitar.

These are my first shots with it. These scenes are on Lower Huntington Road in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Waynedale was once a small town, but was absorbed by Fort Wayne in 1957. Though it has been part of the larger city 63 years, it still looks like a small town. Lower Huntington Road was Waynedale's "Main Street." I grew up in Waynedale and moved back here a few years ago.

Old 01-13-2020   #126
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post

I recently got a good deal on an old all-chrome Canon 50mm f1.8 LTM lens, which I am very impressed with. The resolution across the whole frame, even at wider apertures, is much better than the Summitar; that works better for my work, which is largely architectural. I also like the wide focusing ring; easier for me to use than the little focus tab on the Summitar.

These are my first shots with it. These scenes are on Lower Huntington Road in the Waynedale area of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Waynedale was once a small town, but was absorbed by Fort Wayne in 1957. Though it has been part of the larger city 63 years, it still looks like a small town. Lower Huntington Road was Waynedale's "Main Street." I grew up in Waynedale and moved back here a few years ago.

More fine photos, Chris.

I really liked my somewhat newer version (with the black body and wide focus ring), but it hazed over again after I cleaned it out. The older lenses (Serenars and the no-name chrome bodies) don't have that issue, which makes them a better buy.

I do have an f2.8 black body version that doesn't have the haze issue, and as I recall did fine against the Yashica 50/2.8, so it might find it's way onto the IIIf at times after I get the shutter replaced.

PF

Old 01-14-2020   #127
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
More fine photos, Chris.

I really liked my somewhat newer version (with the black body and wide focus ring), but it hazed over again after I cleaned it out. The older lenses (Serenars and the no-name chrome bodies) don't have that issue, which makes them a better buy.

I do have an f2.8 black body version that doesn't have the haze issue, and as I recall did fine against the Yashica 50/2.8, so it might find it's way onto the IIIf at times after I get the shutter replaced.

PF

That's why I bought a Chrome Canon 50/1.8. I'd read a lot about the haze problems with the black lenses and didnt want to deal with it. I've seen some claim that the black 50/1.8 is sharper than the chrome one, but I can't imagine how it could be any better than the one I have, which is incredibly good. They're supposed to have the same optical design anyway.

I also have a chrome Canon 135mm f4. That's one of the lenses that O.C. gave me with the Leica IIIf. It is also incredibly sharp.

Old 01-14-2020   #128
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
That's why I bought a Chrome Canon 50/1.8. I'd read a lot about the haze problems with the black lenses and didnt want to deal with it. I've seen some claim that the black 50/1.8 is sharper than the chrome one, but I can't imagine how it could be any better than the one I have, which is incredibly good. They're supposed to have the same optical design anyway.

I also have a chrome Canon 135mm f4. That's one of the lenses that O.C. gave me with the Leica IIIf. It is also incredibly sharp.

Same design, but different glass, and therein lies the reason for the hazing. Leica had the same issue when they used some special glass for one of the elements in an early version of the 50mm Summicron if I have the facts straight. It tended to absorb water, and was impossible to keep clean.

PF

Old 01-15-2020   #129
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Same design, but different glass, and therein lies the reason for the hazing. Leica had the same issue when they used some special glass for one of the elements in an early version of the 50mm Summicron if I have the facts straight. It tended to absorb water, and was impossible to keep clean.

PF

Interesting. I didn't know any glass could absorb water. I'll stick to the chrome lenses from Canon then. Both of mine are great.

Here's another photo from the 90mm Elmar:

A Christmas decoration on a garage behind an old house in Fort Wayne.

Old 01-15-2020   #130
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A low-light shot!

Scout is one of the two cats at Hyde Brothers Books in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She used to be really thin, though her long hair made her look fluffy. In the last year or so before I made this photograph of her, she began to gain weight and is now quite fat, just like the other cat who lives at the store.

Leica IIIf and 50mm f2 Summitar on Ilford Delta 3200 at EI-3200.

Old 01-15-2020   #131
Erik van Straten

Leica III black and nickel, Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5, printed on Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Old 01-15-2020   #132
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Leica III black and nickel, Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5, printed on Adox MCC 110.

Erik.

Nice shot. I love the results I have seen from that lens on RFF. Its too bad they're so hard to find at a reasonable price now.

Old 01-16-2020   #133
Erik van Straten

Same lens, same camera:

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #134
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

An old house in the small town of Churubusco, Indiana.

50mm f2 Leica Summitar lens on Ilford Delta 400.

An old house in the small town of Garrett, Indiana.

50mm f1.8 Canon lens on Ilford Delta 400.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #135
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I must be old forte, I like BW pictures in this thread a lot.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #136
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I must be old forte, I like BW pictures in this thread a lot.

Thanks, Ko. I had not shot much black and white in the last couple of years. This camera has awakened my desire to shoot B&W again!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #137
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

50mm Summitar on Tmax 400.

35mm Elmar on Tmax 400.

Both photos above were shot last month on Main Street in the small town of Hicksville, Ohio.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #138
CharlesDAMorgan

Lovely shots!

and in a place called Hicksville. Doubly wonderful!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #139
Erik van Straten

I have an old Hektor 50mm f/2.5 LTM that produces sometimes nice shots in B+W.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #140
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
I have an old Hektor 50mm f/2.5 LTM that produces sometimes nice shots in B+W.

Erik.

I like the cat, makes the picture! The Hektor is a very early Leica lens, the original 'fast' 50mm from Leitz, before the Summar and the even later Summitar. I rarely see photos taken with it because they seem to be either collectors items or badly scratched up and not used.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #141
Erik van Straten

Thank you! My copy is very clean, the lens is also great for portraits.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #142
IIIg

Quote:

I bought a Serenar (Chrome Canon) 50/1.8 for my Leica IIIc in 1964. It was my only camera/lens for the next ten years (student days). This was a fine combination with a handheld meter. The negatives on Plus-X made sparkling 11x14's and the Kodachromes were and are still lovely.

No longer my only Leica/lens combination, I pleased to have and use more than one Barnack Leica with this lens.

Also nice to see a working barber shop in your photograph. They are starting to disappear around here as the barbers age.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #143
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIg View Post
I bought a Serenar (Chrome Canon) 50/1.8 for my Leica IIIc in 1964. It was my only camera/lens for the next ten years (student days). This was a fine combination with a handheld meter. The negatives on Plus-X made sparkling 11x14's and the Kodachromes were and are still lovely.

No longer my only Leica/lens combination, I pleased to have and use more than one Barnack Leica with this lens.

Also nice to see a working barber shop in your photograph. They are starting to disappear around here as the barbers age.

I love the Canon LTM lenses I have. When O.C. gave me the camera, one of the lenses he gave me with it was a chrome Canon 135mm f4. I don't use it much since I rarely use lenses that long, but it is very sharp.

Last week, I bought a Canon 35mm f1.8 from someone in the RFF Classifieds. I'm very impressed with it, too. The later f2 version is said to be better than the f1.8 lens I have, but I can't imagine by how much. The copy I have is incredible. The chrome 50mm f1.8 is a great lens, too.

That barbershop will be around a while. It is owned by an older man and his son. The son is in his early 30s, so he has a lot of years of cutting hair ahead of him. My son gets his hair cut there by the younger barber. My hair is still very long, so I'm not a good customer to barbers!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #144
Erik van Straten

Another one with the Hektor, taken with a Leica II from 1932. The Hektor is from 1930, it was once part of a Leica I, but was later fitted in an interchangeable nickel mount, not unlike an Elmar 50mm.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #145
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Another one with the Hektor, taken with a Leica II from 1932. The Hektor is from 1930, it was once part of a Leica I, but was later fitted in an interchangeable nickel mount, not unlike an Elmar 50mm.

Erik.

The bokeh seems kind of harsh to me.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #146
Erik van Straten

Quote:
The bokeh seems kind of harsh to me.

You must be joking.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #147
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
You must be joking.

Erik.

No, I'm not. Those books look like they're vibrating.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #148
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Those books look like they're vibrating.

In fact they do.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #149
Shac

Quote:
More fine photos, Chris.

PF
FYI I have 2 of the black focus ring versions of the Canon 50/1.8. One hazes constantly despite regular cleaning - the other does not - no idea what is going on.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #150
jrose125

Congratulations! I also own a IIIc that was converted to a IIIf and love it dearly.

Enjoy

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #151
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

First test shots with the Canon 35mm f1.8 that I bought from the RFF classifieds last week. These places are all in my neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #152
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shac View Post
FYI I have 2 of the black focus ring versions of the Canon 50/1.8. One hazes constantly despite regular cleaning - the other does not - no idea what is going on.

There is another line of thought that the lubricant used on these lenses causes the hazing, and if cleaned out it cures it. I'm going to try that on mine if I ever get my workbench back in order.

PF

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #153
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
First test shots with the Canon 35mm f1.8 that I bought from the RFF classifieds last week. These places are all in my neighborhood in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Now you have a good brace of lenses for that Leica, Chris. It's good to see you shooting film again.

PF

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #154
Shac

Quote:
There is another line of thought that the lubricant used on these lenses causes the hazing, and if cleaned out it cures it. I'm going to try that on mine if I ever get my workbench back in order.

PF
I've head that also but never with any had "evidence" - it makes sense but....
Mine is easy to clean, but I've heard of others where it's not easy.
Anyway glad yours is OK - they are very nice lenses

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #155
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shac View Post
I've head that also but never with any had "evidence" - it makes sense but....
Mine is easy to clean, but I've heard of others where it's not easy.
Anyway glad yours is OK - they are very nice lenses

I think it depends on how long the haze has been there. Left a long time, it can damage the glass. If it is cleaned often, it never has enough time to damage the glass, so keeping the glass clean is easier.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #156
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My son, Mack. I made this photo of him a few weeks ago.

I used the 50mm Summitar and Tmax 400 developed in D-76.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #157
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
I think it depends on how long the haze has been there. Left a long time, it can damage the glass. If it is cleaned often, it never has enough time to damage the glass, so keeping the glass clean is easier.
My first, bad copy of 50 1.8 Canon LTM had fog inside of the optical element, pair or how it is called. I don't know if it was glue separation or something else, but it was not easy-peasy Summar or LF lens to work on often.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #158
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Back in November, I made this photograph of Sherlock, one of the two fatcats that live at Hyde Brothers Books in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Sherlock spends all of his time lounging, and he gets annoyed when people pet him or take his picture!

I used the 50mm Summitar and Tmax 400.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #159
Erik van Straten

The bokeh seems kind of harsh to me, above all the books. Much more harsh than in the shot with the Hektor, above. Just compare.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #160
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
The bokeh seems kind of harsh to me, above all the books. Much more harsh than in the shot with the Hektor, above. Just compare.

Erik.

I don't really like the Summitar's bokeh much either. I think the Canon 50mm f1.8 that I recently bought is much better in that regard.