Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Xpan & Other Panoramics

Xpan & Other Panoramics For Hasselblad Xpan, Xpan II, Fuji TX-1 and TX-2, and all other Panoramic cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

New 35mm Pano Camera Kickstarter
Old 12-17-2019   #1
BWF
Registered User
 
BWF is offline
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 12
New 35mm Pano Camera Kickstarter

Probably not up everyone's alley, but there is a new Kickstarter for a 3D-printed panorama camera. The image size will be X-Pan dimensions, not masked. I will not do the project justice by summarizing it all here, but you get to build it yourself which will certainly appeal to many and makes it very affordable. The cost could be a few hundred dollars, even with the lens.

The link to the Kickstarter is here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../?ref=kicktraq

There is further explanation here:

https://www.35mmc.com/17/12/2019/cam...tyl-brancopan/

And here:

https://emulsive.org/articles/the-ca...-print-at-home
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019   #2
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,593
I love these guys, I've bought about five of their buttergrips.
This bit is excellent, wish I paid attention to this before I threw cash at the Reflex kickstarter campaign..


Risks and challenges

Generally when people put a project on kickstarter, it is to raise funds for a project that they would like to complete. I have completed the Cameradactyl Brancopan. it exists, the files exist, it works. There is 0 chance that the camera wont ever see the light of day. that part is risk free. There is some risk that I will make completely boring youtube videos that you will have to sit through and play back a few times in order to be able to properly assemble your camera. There is some risk that it will take me a few more weeks than expected to put the videos together in a less boring fashion. There is even an extremely small risk that you will find my youtube videos incredibly charming and fall in love with me, but I think that these youtube related risks are negligible.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019   #3
B-9
Devin Bro
 
B-9's Avatar
 
B-9 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,375
Haha, hope Ethan can be a trend setter on Kick.

This is a solid way to fund R&D.
__________________
Made in Michigan

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019   #4
BWF
Registered User
 
BWF is offline
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
Haha, hope Ethan can be a trend setter on Kick.

This is a solid way to fund R&D.
What we need to do is fund his development of a 35mm focal plane shutter!
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019   #5
BWF
Registered User
 
BWF is offline
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I love these guys, I've bought about five of their buttergrips.
This bit is excellent, wish I paid attention to this before I threw cash at the Reflex kickstarter campaign..


Risks and challenges

Generally when people put a project on kickstarter, it is to raise funds for a project that they would like to complete. I have completed the Cameradactyl Brancopan. it exists, the files exist, it works. There is 0 chance that the camera wont ever see the light of day. that part is risk free. There is some risk that I will make completely boring youtube videos that you will have to sit through and play back a few times in order to be able to properly assemble your camera. There is some risk that it will take me a few more weeks than expected to put the videos together in a less boring fashion. There is even an extremely small risk that you will find my youtube videos incredibly charming and fall in love with me, but I think that these youtube related risks are negligible.
I bought a Homonculus from him. It is very solid and I like using it. The photos are great with the Mamiya 50mm/6.3 press lens.

The Risks and Challenges are hilarious. Having seen a few of his videos, I agree the risk of boring videos is negligible.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019   #6
zuiko85
Registered User
 
zuiko85 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,044
Reading just the title was about to make a fool of myself (yet again) by making a snarky comment along the lines of ‘Kickstarter! Bah, nuff said’.
Then I clicked on the link and saw who the creator was and the proposal and backer amounts. Although I’d swore off another KS campaign and know absolutely nuttin about 3D printing.....this could change my mind.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2019   #7
BWF
Registered User
 
BWF is offline
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Reading just the title was about to make a fool of myself (yet again) by making a snarky comment along the lines of ‘Kickstarter! Bah, nuff said’.
Then I clicked on the link and saw who the creator was and the proposal and backer amounts. Although I’d swore off another KS campaign and know absolutely nuttin about 3D printing.....this could change my mind.
Yes, it seems low risk compared to many other KS campaigns. Just on principle of supporting someone who is making new cameras and gear, it seems worth it. The fact that the Brancopan does not just use the film transport from another camera system is an achievement.

For anyone worried about building it, I think the assembly instructions will be very good. I built the laser shutter tester that he talked about in this article and it was very easy, even for someone with no experience with that stuff like me. Also, 3D printers are more accessible than most people think (libraries, makerspaces, etc).
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2019   #8
BWF
Registered User
 
BWF is offline
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 12
This is getting fairly close to being funded.

Written up in DPReview https://www.dpreview.com/news/762320...or-3d-printers

Also a video Q&A is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PodEWZW7s1A
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:20.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.