Purchase regrets
Old 11-20-2019   #1
bert26

Purchase regrets

What are yours?

I've been kicking myself in the ass and am wondering if my decision wasn't actually fueled by stupidity.

I had a v3 35 summicron with a beat up 12504 hood that worked fine and gave me many great pictures. I just hated that I had so much trouble accessing the aperture ring with the hood on. In hindsight, I didn't even need the hood because the glass was so recessed in the barrel.

Sold lens/hood for $1300 to a friend to buy a cosmetically sort of beat up but functionally perfect/perfect glass v4 35 German summicron with 12524 hood for $400 more. I'd used a friend's and loved the ergonomics and this sounds dumb but I love the way the square hoods look. It got destroyed in transit and left with no lens at all (was refunded though) I dropped $2,300 on a minty Canadian v4 with 12526 hood which arrived with the aperture index 45 degrees off which began the nightmare of a shop in portland failing the repair after waiting 2 months, getting refunded but then DAG sending it back misaligned twice and the third time the front began to come loose.

Anyway, after all that (CLA included) I'm $2,700 in on this lens. Everything is aligned and smooth and a joy to use but I can't stop kicking myself in the ass for putting myself through countless months of the lens bouncing back and forth in the mail. I've lightly bumped the hood a couple of times and my heart started racing because I'm so paranoid of knocking the retainer ring out of place since it's Canadian and held on by glue. I'm not gonna go through the nightmare of selling this and then not having a lens forever to wait around for a v3 to get $1,000 back (700 after ebay fees probably.)

Just wondering how much force on the hood it's gonna take to misalign this retainer ring. I know a circle hood will alleviate the problem and if this will get aligned very easily I'll go that route but...

Yeah, almost a year without a lens just for better ergonomics and a square hood. Ever do anything this dumb and fret over it forever?

Old 11-20-2019   #2
Pl_K
Cameras. I has it.

Interesting. I have a 35/2 v4 with a misaligned aperture index as well. Optics and aperture seem fine on operation though. I don't use the flimsy hood - also, without the hood the viewfinder is essentially unobstructed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG9451-1-1~3.jpg (52.9 KB, 40 views)

Old 11-20-2019   #3
aizan

I did something like that with a suit. In the end, the jacket was a lost cause after multiple alterations by multiple tailors. The trousers are great, though!

Old 11-20-2019   #4
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Nearly every 28mm lens I've ever bought. I hate them for numerious reasons. But almost all of them have disappointed me to no end.
Currently is a Nikkir 2.8cm in ltm which has worst filter size and vignettes like a mother to boot.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

Old 11-20-2019   #5
Huss

Bought a broken Kodak Retina Reflex at a flea market that I didn't check over enough to notice it was broken. Paid $140 to fix it. Don't even like using it. Guess I just don't like stuff being broken.

Old 11-20-2019   #6
Beemermark

Forget the money. Are you happy. Concentrate on the happy.

Old 11-20-2019   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

I regret any Canon SLR system gear I bought after I had what I needed to build a kit to give to my brother. Should have shopped the extras right away, but instead I got curious as to what the rest of the system was like. Nice lenses, cameras too quirky.

The LTM rangefinder stuff though was just fine.

PF

Old 11-20-2019   #8
maigo

Just shoot, dammit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-20-2019   #9
CharlesDAMorgan

The cost is mere peanuts compared to old cars.

Congratulate yourself that you have a lens you can use and upon the lesson learned.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 11-20-2019   #10
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

My black M2. Purchased on impulse, kept to save face. It was black, but not well done. I had it painted by Stu in TX after Youxin Ye disassembled it, and it required a new RF because the one it had wasn't the correct one. It has now a decent set of framelines, but since the ones for 90mm don't come up well, I don't think I can sell it easily. That's OK. It looks beautiful now, but before it was painted I wasn't exactly a happy citizen.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 11-20-2019   #11
Richard G

I agree with the “be happy”. All my photography gear put together cost less than what I’d lose in one day buying a new Mercedes instead of my wonderful three year old second hand Citroen. Just don’t remove the lens from the camera by gripping the hood and you should be fine. The lens is not delicate necessarily.

Old 11-20-2019   #12
rangefinderlove123

it's ok

The parts of the v4 summicron which hold the lens assembly is made of polycarbonate, so don't worry

Old 11-21-2019   #13
Doug

Commiseration on the bad experience... I'm reminded of a camera show purchase, a used Kiron 500mm mirror lens. Lovely condition, in its fitted leather case with rear-mount filters. I'm a Pentax user so I assumed the lens had an interchangeable T-mount. Nope, and it was for Olympus OM. Did I take it back to the seller? Nope, I compounded the error by scurrying around while folks were packing up their unsold gear and bought an Olympus OM-G body for $50. Then I found it was really hard to hand-hold a 500mm lens... So I added versatility with a 50mm and 135mm lenses. Deeper and deeper... Not very smart. Nice little camera though.

Old 11-21-2019   #14
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Commiseration on the bad experience... I'm reminded of a camera show purchase, a used Kiron 500mm mirror lens. Lovely condition, in its fitted leather case with rear-mount filters. I'm a Pentax user so I assumed the lens had an interchangeable T-mount. Nope, and it was for Olympus OM. Did I take it back to the seller? Nope, I compounded the error by scurrying around while folks were packing up their unsold gear and bought an Olympus OM-G body for $50. Then I found it was really hard to hand-hold a 500mm lens... So I added versatility with a 50mm and 135mm lenses. Deeper and deeper... Not very smart. Nice little camera though.
That made me laugh!

Old 11-21-2019   #15
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

All the stuff that I now should get rid of because we're moving. Just a pain in the rear. Konicas, oddball lenses in even more obscure mounts which I had the intention to convert.
I definitely regret trading my 1978 Toyota Corolla liftback for three Mazda RX-7s.
Phil Forrest

Old 11-21-2019   #16
Ricoh

Having too many cameras, 3 digi., 4 analogue and assorted lenses for each with f/l overlap, that's what.

Old 11-21-2019   #17
leicapixie

When I closed my studio, I traded my Mamiya-c cameras and lenses..
for a Pentax 6x7 and 135mm Macro.
I soon "needed" a 75mm wide, filters, tele-extender, etc!
The problem was processing color a problem, my pro printer not 6x7..
The real problem was ME!
I hated the beast, the lenses were great, rectangular format a plus.
The weight, lord the weight and size!
Happiest day almost 20 years later (practically unused) traded for Leica M6TTL.
Great trade at Samy's in LA.

Old 11-21-2019   #18
james.liam

I had a similar experience with a 50 Rigid I’d bought from OC Camera. I was away for an extended period of time and on return, so when I opened the package the lens would not focus properly. The owner refused a return and a visit to DAG, typically the solution to such things, resulted in a partial fix. Only after an extended and costly stay at Hotel Leica NJ did the lens work as brilliantly as it should. I couldn’t bear selling it off for parts and it ultimately cost me twice as much as it should have. Oh well. Offsets some of the good deals I have acted upon in the past.

“Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear eats you”.

Old 11-21-2019   #19
benlees

I spent quite a bit on old rusty Volvos. I wish I had the cash now! On the flipside, to stop the bleeding I learned to fix them myself and this knowledge I still use today, so it's all relative...

Old 11-21-2019   #20
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
I spent quite a bit on old rusty Volvos. I wish I had the cash now! On the flipside, to stop the bleeding I learned to fix them myself and this knowledge I still use today, so it's all relative...
Does Swedish rust have a special bokeh?

Old 11-21-2019   #21
Pentode

Regrets, I’ve Had a few....

Old 11-21-2019   #22
oftheherd

I just regret having taken so long to stop my GAS. And now, having retired for the 2nd time we have decide to downsize and move into a smaller house or small apartment.

Help.

Old 11-21-2019   #23
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
It tastes different than German rust, I can tell you that much.
Phil Forrest

Old 11-21-2019   #24
Richard G

Apparently an Aldi special a while back was an electronic guitar tuner. People who had no guitar and couldn’t play still bought them. Must have led a few to get the guitar, try to tune it, strum a little and their attic acquired two new precious items.

Old 11-21-2019   #25
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
It tastes different than German rust, I can tell you that much.
Phil Forrest

Kinda has a herring aftertaste.

Old 11-21-2019   #26
lemalk
Rebel Without Applause

Not a camera purchase, but an equipment purchase. In 2001, I bought a brand new iPod, and PowerBook G4 - about $3k. If I had instead purchased APPL stock with that $, it would now be worth north of $200k considering all the stock splits. The iPod? lost somewhere in a drawer. The PowerBook? I lent it to an ex girlfriend as a backup machine and never got it back. That cash, tho....

"To me, jazz is the closest thing to insanity that there is in music." - David Lynch

Old 11-21-2019   #27
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Apparently an Aldi special a while back was an electronic guitar tuner. People who had no guitar and couldnt play still bought them.
Where did you see this? Too funny.

For me, whenever I buy any Sony camera it doesn't take too long for me to regret it.

Old 11-21-2019   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I don't have many individual regrets that I can think of ... my main regret is the quantity of stuff I have finished up with.

I'm generally a pragmatic person and have never been a collector or hoarder of anything but what I will confess to is buying things when I've been down to make myself feel better. Mental health has never been my strong suite and in those bad times it's so easy to turn to a bit of 'retail therapy!'

Old 11-21-2019   #29
Doug

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That made me laugh!
Thanks, Keith... The camera and lenses were donated to another RFF member - except for the 500mm Kiron which is once again an orphan...

Old 11-21-2019   #30
Rayt

More than once I would get into a new system because of one lens and then it snowballs. Too many examples.

Old 11-21-2019   #31
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm generally a pragmatic person and have never been a collector or hoarder of anything but what I will confess to is buying things when I've been down to make myself feel better. Mental health has never been my strong suite and in those bad times it's so easy to turn to a bit of 'retail therapy!'
Yep, been there and done that.

Old 11-21-2019   #32
wwfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemalk View Post
Not a camera purchase, but an equipment purchase. In 2001, I bought a brand new iPod, and PowerBook G4 - about $3k. If I had instead purchased APPL stock with that $, it would now be worth north of $200k considering all the stock splits...
THAT is an intriguing perspective.

Old 11-21-2019   #33
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
The rust was definitely not the pinhole variety. It was wide open... Too bad the shutter was so slow.

Old 11-21-2019   #34
Pl_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemalk View Post
... If I had instead purchased APPL stock with that $, it would now be worth north of $200k considering all the stock splits...
20-20 hindsight. Who was to know? Apple had been on the verge of extinction numerous times. If I remember correctly, even Microsoft helped them stay alive in the 1990's "for the good of the industry" or somesuch.

I got an offer to work at Microsoft in 1991 - before announcement of the IBM PC. I turned them down. Friends tell me I'd be a millionaire had I took the job. No, I wouldn't: I wouldn't have been able to survive in their stressful culture. If I ever find their offer letter, I'm going to frame it.

As for cameras, one day I was just itching to buy something at my favorite camera shop rather than walk out with nothing. Against my better judgment, I bought a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super with someone's driver license ID scratched onto the back of an otherwise perfect body. The shutter stuck open a month later.

Old 11-21-2019   #35
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
I just regret having taken so long to stop my GAS. And now, having retired for the 2nd time we have decide to downsize and move into a smaller house or small apartment.

Help.
I know the feeling. I'm letting my current house to move down to the South West, and as I look at bags and boxes full of cameras to move, and those remaining to be packed (it's a two trip job) I marvel how one small parcel a week could snowball into something quite so substantial.

Then in order to enable me to sell stuff, I'm packing the boxes and bubble wrap they came in to start with.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 11-21-2019   #36
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pl_K View Post
...I got an offer to work at Microsoft in 1991 - before announcement of the IBM PC. I turned them down. Friends tell me I'd be a millionaire had I took the job. No, I wouldn't: I wouldn't have been able to survive in their stressful culture. If I ever find their offer letter, I'm going to frame it.
Must have been 10 years earlier, 1981. By 1984 when the Mac came out, the IBM PC had already become the industry standard.

Old 11-22-2019   #37
Fjll

Don't be afraid to misalign the front ring of the V4 Summicron. I'm sure I wrote this in a previous thread of yours but you can fix the front ring misalignment yourself super easy. It's literally moving it to the right position and tighten the screws. I've completely disassembled the V4 multiple times and I really can't wrap my head around how anyone fails to assemble it properly calling them selves repairmen.

Old 11-22-2019   #38
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
Forget the money. Are you happy. Concentrate on the happy.
No, don't forget the money. Ask if there are other uses for #2,700 that would make you happier.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 11-22-2019   #39
Pl_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Must have been 10 years earlier, 1981. ...
Aaaghhh! Yes, 1981. At my old age I'm constantly making mistakes like this. Cannot believe it's 2019!

What really warps my mind is thinking my cousin's grandchildren are his children. I'm not handling the passage of time well.

Old 11-22-2019   #40
Pl_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjll View Post
Don't be afraid to misalign the front ring of the V4 Summicron. I'm sure I wrote this in a previous thread of yours but you can fix the front ring misalignment yourself super easy. It's literally moving it to the right position and tighten the screws. I've completely disassembled the V4 multiple times and I really can't wrap my head around how anyone fails to assemble it properly calling them selves repairmen.
I will try that. Thank you!