Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

TLR: My first Yashica Mat 124G experience
Old 06-09-2006   #1
RicardoD

TLR: My first Yashica Mat 124G experience

I recently picked up a nice shooter Yashica Mat 124G from another RFF member. This is my first TLR and first time with 120 film. Thought I'd share my newbie experience.

Film loading is pure joy. I found it easier then loading 35mm film. This may have to do with the clear Yashica Mat instructions and positive mechanical feeling of every step.

Composing a shot a such a different experience and the red lines on the ground glass really aid the process. I was wondering what those lines were for but as soon as you start framing images you figure it out right away. The flip image thing took a bit of gettng used to but by the end of my roll I was hand holding shots and starting to get used to it. I was warned about using a TLR to take pics of my little kids, but they are starting to listen to daddy and stay still for just a moment. My Yashica Mat does not have a neck strap and I need one badly. Trying to hand hold this thing, focus, compose and then hit the shutter is just too much.

Focusing with the loupe is a snap. I can see that with a max shutter speed of 1/500s that using small aperatures will be difficult in daylight unless I use really slow film or get an ND filter. To makes things worse in this regard I develop in Diafine so I have to shoot at the higher ISO speeds that Diafine requires.

I bought 3 rolls of TMX and shot it at 200 based upon the Film/Diafine review which can be found here. (I found that loading 120 film on a stainless steel reel is easier than 35mm.) Diafine is easy but a cruel mistress as basically when your shots are over or underexposed you pretty much have yourself left to blame. That was the case on several of my shots. I relied on the built in Yashica Mat meter but that is only as good as how you use it. Could be the shutter speeds on my Mat are off, or the meter is off, but I am sure Mark Hama can take care of that down the road. Which reminds me, I really need to get a light meter, and a hood, and an ND6 filter.....

My loving wife got me my Father's Day gift early, a refurbished Epson 4180 scanner with medium format capability. Wow, is there a ton of detail in a 6x6 negative. This is going to get very addicting. Happily a few of my shots on my test roll turned out. The tones I was envious of in other TLR photos are there and the camera appears to be working. So its time to reload and give some proper portraits a try.

Sadly however I have to report that buying a new piece of well regarded equipment doesn't magically turn you into a gifted photography (despite my delusions to the contrary which seems to fuel my GAS). I still have so much to learn about the proper lighting situations to use this camera, or any camera for that matter!. I was depressed after the inital scan of my negatives, feeling like a hack, but a day later I managed to cheer up a bit, after all, there are two more rolls of 120 film in my fridge!

BTW, where is the TLR forum where I really should have posted this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img004sm.jpg (98.9 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg img005sm.jpg (89.3 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg img007sm.jpg (107.9 KB, 450 views)

Last edited by RicardoD : 06-09-2006 at 22:09.

Old 06-09-2006   #2
jano
Evil Bokeh

I really like the tonality in your shots here. Good luck with the TLR

O meu bumbum era flácido
mas esse assunto é tão místico

Old 06-09-2006   #3
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

You are doomed. Just accept that you'll never be satisfied with little negatives again and you might be ok...

(IOW, been there, done that, still infected... )

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 06-09-2006   #4
RicardoD

Jano,

Thanks. The tones are there and I need to work on the rest. I just picked up a book called "Photographing Children in Black & White" by Helen T. Boursier and the author uses two medium format cameras (Hasselblad and Mamiya RB67). It's been a good read for a newbie like myself with practical tips on clothing, using available light, posing, and how to use a light meter in different situations. My goal is to get some larger framed print on my walls to satisfy "the wife" and myself. My children are at the magical age where they photograph great and I need to enjoy it while I can. I am sure my Yashica Mat can deliver.

Old 06-09-2006   #5
szekiat

i think the 124 must be one of the most under rated cameras around. I bought one with the intention of buying a hassy kit. When i looked at the quality coming out of the thing, i kinda just forgot about the hassy. It is that good. And i used to shoot a hassy 503 kit so i have shots to compare. Great article!

Old 06-10-2006   #6
Austintatious

Ricardo,
Welcome to the world of TLR. Very nice first shots! After a few rolls, it will become second nature.
I use an Epson 3170 for my 6X6 negs. It blows digital away!! I grew up with a Yashica TLR.
Megapixels ? We don't need no stinking megapixels !!!!

Charles

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 06-10-2006   #7
Flyfisher Tom

It is rather mesmerizing the first time you see a 6x6 negative versus a 35mm isn't it :-)

Congrats.

Tom

Old 06-10-2006   #8
kaiyen
local man of mystery

Well, there isn't a TLR forum because TLRs aren't rangefinders...but I love talking about them anyway.

As others have said, nice shots. My only comments are about using the mat 124g.

First, definitely get a hood. Most TLRs don't have as much flocking on the inside as other cameras, esp. the mat 124(g). This means you get increased chance of flare. Make sure to get a square bay 1 hood. Unless you want to get an actual rollei one ($60?), the plastic $15 ones are just as good. Ebay prices, of course.

Also, the meter is accurate but, as you say, you have to know how to use it. It's very hard to tell what it's pointed at, esp. if you're using the loupe. You're composing with it up high, then you take it away to get the meter reading. This simple movement can really throw your reading off. I leave a 675 hearing aid batter in mine just in case, but I tend to use sunny 16 or an incident meter that I use occaisionally to get overal light levels.

have fun with it,
allan

Old 06-10-2006   #9
GeneW

Great start to your TLR adventures! Lovely shots.

As Todd Hanz said awhile back, there seems to be a strong affinity for TLR's among RF shooters. It would be nice to have a little forum for them here, even if they're not RF's.

BTW, if you have a flickr account (they have free accounts if you're interested) there are two groups you can join and post to:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/tlr/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mediumformat/

Have fun!

Gene

Old 06-10-2006   #10
Todd.Hanz

Great stuff, the 124G is a great camera and TLR's are as addictive as RF's and most are cheaper, great shots, keep it up.

Todd

Old 06-10-2006   #11
RicardoD

My watch list on ebay is getting full! Love to get the Sekonic L308b, hoping to get Lune Pro F, but for budget reasons I may just get a Gossen Pilot 2 to take care of my immediate needs which does not include very low light levels.

I see that the neck strap loops look to have been designed for specific type of attachment feature on the end. There is a lug on the camera below the little bar that forms the hoop to attach a strap. I was thinking of going for one of Gordy's straps but those are fixed length and I have no idea lenght is optimum. Sure I could figure it out with a string but not sure if I would be happy with that lenght in the long term. I just need to find a dirt cheap adjustable strap to figure out what works.

Old 06-10-2006   #12
kaiyen
local man of mystery

I used just a regular camera strap (adjustable, yes). Fits right through the little bar/hoop/thing.

allan

Old 06-10-2006   #13
Todd.Hanz

I like the Domke "gripper" strap, it helps to pull the camera taught around my neck for those 1/15 sec. shots.

Todd

Old 06-10-2006   #14
aad
Not so new now.

TLR stuff is a great bargain now-after buying a Mamiya C330, stuff shows up for free all the time now. Including a second body/lens, donated to a family I know.

Old 06-10-2006   #15
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Great pictures indeed! Lovely tones. You will enjoy it very much. (And I bet you decide you'll "need" to try out some other TLRs too -- Rolleicords, Diacords, Autocords....)

Old 06-10-2006   #16
tedwhite

Very nice tonal range. I had a 124G and thought it a great bargain for the price. When you get ready for the next step up - if you ever do - I recommend a Rolleicord. Excellent build quality and very fine lenses. In the late sixties, early seventies, I used a Rolleicord for everything from sports photography to landscapes to portraits. Currently I have a Rolleiflex, which has a faster lens (2.8) than the Rolleicord (3.5), but otherwise it's essentially the same camera.

A neat trick in crowds is to prefocus on the subject (or guess it) then hold the camera over your head upside down, look at the groundglass, frame, and shoot.

Ted

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 06-11-2006   #17
remrf
AZRF

Congrats on your new camera. I have owned three of the Mats over the years and still have one of them. It has lens problems so it isn't used but rarely however I also have a Rolliecord 1V and agree with previous posts that it is a fine camera.

Instead of or in addition to a strap I would suggest a left hand L-bracket. The one I have is really for use with a flash but it doubles well as the sturdy and steady way to hold the camera for shooting.

I use a pl filter as a 2-nd when the need arises using a Bay-1 to 49mm filter adapter.

A technique I used often when shooting in a war zone with my original Mat 24 was to use sunny 16 and set the focus to infinity. Then you use the sports finder for framing and forget about focus completely. Everything from 1 meter to infinity will be in focus.
You can then concentrate on framing and subject without the mirror reversal that so many find distracting.

Try shooting some chrome. You will REALLY like the results.
Leica IIIa w/Summar 50mm f-2, Zorki 2c w/Industar 22 and 61 50mm, Yashica Electro 35 GS, Minolta x-700(2)w/28,50, 28-85,28-200mm, Minolta 7000 w/28-200mm lens, Mamiya C-3w/105 and 180mm, Rolleicord 1V w/80mm f-3.5 Zenar, Mamiya 645 w/ Mamiya f-4 210mm, f-3.5 150mm,f-2.8 55mm,Vega f-2.8 90mm, Mamiya f-2.8 80mm, Omega View cameras(2, "E" and "D") Schneider Zenar f-6.1 210 mm and Super Angulon f-8 90 mm, Graflex Crown Graffic w/ Optar f-4.5 150 mm, Minolta Z-1 Digital.

WestViews

Old 06-12-2006   #18
RicardoD

Ok, a successful ebay Sunday has produced auction wins for a Gossen Luna Pro for a ridiculously low price (hope it works!) and a Yashica Bay 1 lens hood which I over paid for but its in excellent condition and has the little case. I manually sniped both in the last 5 seconds so nobody hate me for that if you were bidding.

Next up, a neck strap and perhaps a 2 stop ND filter. Then my GAS is done (famous last words).

Old 06-12-2006   #19
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

I hate TLR's!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg metlr.jpg (66.6 KB, 184 views)

Old 06-12-2006   #20
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Ricardo, remember: using C41 you can safely overexpose by a stop, or even two.
1/500 is not really that limiting, only in true bright sunlight and widest apertures.

Old 06-12-2006   #21
oftheherd

When I had my Yashica MAT 124G I normally used the builtin meter. It worked as fine as any other reflective meter, and as badly. For lower light, I used a Sekonic Micro Leader that worked in surprisingly low light. However, you are going to love that Gossen Luna Pro if it works correctly. You might have to compesate for the differences in voltage if it hasn't been calibrated for non mercury batteries. Other than that, those are great little meters. I really like mine, and in fact prefer it over the sbc as it is a little smaller. Just won't fit the spot meter on those rare occassions I need/want that.

Do try some slide film some time soon. It will indeed blow you away as much as that big viewfinder already has.

Old 06-12-2006   #22
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Ricardo, you did snipe me on the Yashica hood! But that's OK, I have another. You will definitely find it useful outdoors, since as someone else has said, the lenses are not sheltered and thus prone to flare.

The meter is fine, but it's a little tricky to know just what it's reading. When in doubt, overexpose when using print film. I do like the way the meter comes on only when you flip open the viewing hood. (And unless you have the correct batteries, remember to cut the film speed in half when setting it, or you'll underexpose.)

Old 06-12-2006   #23
RicardoD

oftheherd, I am going to solder a diode in series to the red battery wire to allow me to use SR44 batteries once I make a physical adapter. There is a mercury battery thread going on right now about this.

KoNickon, Three people tried sniping at the end, my bid was just a guess after tracking a few of these the past few weeks. Since you have a hood I don't feel so bad. I've been on the losing end of this several times so I was happy to finally hit one.

Old 06-12-2006   #24
MelanieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand
I hate TLR's!

Yeah, me too!

Here's a snapshot my mother took of me (Olympus Stylus Epic) while I was taking the second picture of her (sorry, all I have is a scan of the contact sheet right now).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolleiandme.jpg (148.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg momcamproof.jpg (101.8 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by MelanieC : 06-12-2006 at 12:19.

Old 06-13-2006   #25
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Ricardo, I'm happy you got your hood, finally. Sometimes you just have to be persistent.

Old 06-20-2006   #26
Todd Frederick
Todd Frederick

I have used TLR cameras since 1958. My first was a Yashica LM and then a Rolleiflex. I have used Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, Mamiya TLR of many forms, Minolta Autocord, and almost all of the Yashica TLR versions.

At this time, I have a Yashica 124 (not "e"), a Yashica 635, and a gray leather Yashica A.

Right now, my favorite is the Yashica A. It's very simple to operate, reliable, and produces outstanding images even with the three element Yashicor lens.

After all this time using TLR cameras, I think the Yashica lenses produce outstanding images, the cameras are easy to operate, and I prefer them over Rolleiflex.

Old 06-20-2006   #27
RicardoD

Thanks for the comments Todd. It helps to ease my Rolleiflex envy and just focus on improving my skill with my Yashica TLR. I have a light meter and a nice hood to go with it now so I'm all set to practice, practice, practice.

Old 06-20-2006   #28
Solinar
Analog Preferred

You have me beat by 14 years. I inherited a Yashica D in 1972. I still recommend the D to anyone wanting to test the waters with a TLR.

Shooting with a gray leather A? That's a rare one.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 06-20-2006   #29
mkyy

what's the general opinion on the yashinon wide/tele adapter lens set for the 124G? should i bother to take a second look at it? or i'd be better off with a different TLR with interchangeable lenses?

my flickr gallery

M6 Classic
35mm pre-ASPH Summicron, Industar I-61, 50mm Summarit, VC 75/2.5 Colour-Heliar, Zeiss ZM 25/2.8
Konica Auto S3
YashicaMat 124G
Epson 4490

Old 06-21-2006   #30
Austintatious

From what I have read and experienced, they are not all that hot. The image is soft. Glass on glass and all that. Best to use shoe leather method, move the camera closer or farther away. If wide angle is that important to you, another brand of TLR will be the answer. There are some TLR forums on flickr dot com if you want more info on this.

Charles

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 06-21-2006   #31
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I also think they aren't that wide or long -- so not much of a difference from the normal lens.

If you want wide, you'll need to get a Mamiya (the C220 is a good choice) and a 55mm or wider lens.

Old 06-21-2006   #32
tedwhite

When I had my 124 I picked up a set of wide/tele auxilliary lenses. They diminished the quality of the Yashica's lens. I gave them away to a student.

Ted

Old 06-21-2006   #33
RObert Budding

It's a slippery slope. I'm trying large format for the first time this summer.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 06-21-2006   #34
FrankS

The switch from 35 to MF is easy. The switch to LF takes machismo! I'm saving LF for my retirement years. That and lawn bowling.

photography makes me happy

Old 06-21-2006   #35
tedwhite

Lawn bowling, combined with good beer, could be the way to go. As for me, I got bored and leased the ground floor of an old hotel, the Silver King, in Brewery Gulch. 1300 square feet. My son, a digital whizzbang, and I, a black und white film wetroom guy, finally have some space to work in. I'm building a darkroom in one room and he's turning another room into a totally light-controlled studio. Norman lights, soft boxes, giant Canon DSLR, etc. Plus the whole front of our space used to be an art gallery.

Ceilings are 13 feet high. There's a bar across the street. The bar is next door to a pizza joint. Retirement's looking good.

Ted

Old 06-21-2006   #36
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

The first year of my retirement I am going to spend sitting in my rocking chair on the front porch. The second year I will start rocking.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."