Leica M typ 240 vs. Leica M typ 262
Old 08-10-2019   #1
Out to Lunch

Leica M typ 240 vs. Leica M typ 262

If you had to choose between these two cameras, which one would you choose -the price would be the same.

Old 08-10-2019   #2
Huss

M240. I use the LiveView to calibrate my lenses. Incredibly useful for that. Also because of the LiveView you can adapt other lenses. And use the level feature for architectural/landscape use.

Old 08-10-2019   #3
bayernfan

I've used both for extended periods of time. The 240 is my recommendation for the following reasons:

1. Live view is handier than you'd think (framing accuracy at min focus distance for example)
2. The sensors are not identical, I prefer the color from the M240
3. Live view permits 1. focus check for adapted lenses and 2. use of any focal length without needing an OVF. I use small SLR lenses (M42 Takumar and Olympus OM) on my M240 and it is a joy.
4. The weight difference is negligible.

The 262 never quite made sense to me. But I'm no purist.

Old 08-10-2019   #4
Bike Tourist

I had to choose between the two. I chose the 262. I didn't want to pay for the features I will never use. No regrets.

It's good others chose the 240 and got exactly what they wanted.

Here's an idea: lets all buy the model we want (or can afford). Also, the price at the time was definitely not the same!

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist

Old 08-10-2019   #5
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Tourist View Post
I didn't want to pay for the features I will never use.
I've always assumed that Leica disabled the LV functionality of the 262 through software. Is there additional (cost increasing) hardware that the 240 has (and the 262 lacks) to permit LV on the rear screen?

Old 08-10-2019   #6
kshapero
Growing with experience

For me it's the 262 because I think I am a purist.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-10-2019   #7
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

I used digitals with EVF since I came back to photography in 2009—M43, Fuji X, Sony.

At the same time, on a diverging axis, I was exploring film rangefinders, eventually settling on Leicas (M4, M5, M7, M3).

On retirement in 2017, when I decided to invest in a digital rangefinder, I chose the M-D 262 because its handling is filmlike, because distraction (chimping, menu-diving, button-fiddling) is minimized, and because there’s no excuse to interrupt the creative act with equipment-driven editing.

http://rhl.photography

Old 08-10-2019   #8
sleepyhead

I already had a Leica SL when I decided between the M240 or the M262. I chose the later because they complement each other well.

Old 08-10-2019   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

262. My mobile phone will out beat any Leica for video, but any phone is nowhere close to any m for stills.

262 is more expensive than 240 on used market, it seems.

Old 08-10-2019   #10
Ricoh

If like me you like brass, then go with the M240. The M262 top plate is aluminium.

Old 08-10-2019   #11
Ccoppola82

My black M-P240 is the nicest camera I’ve ever had. Brassing is beautiful, battery life is awesome, sapphire glass is amazing. I can simplify it to act just like a Film M, or I can use the modern convenience of live view or EVF when needed. I like the versatility.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 08-10-2019   #12
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccoppola82 View Post
My black M-P240 is the nicest camera Iíve ever had. Brassing is beautiful, battery life is awesome, sapphire glass is amazing. I can simplify it to act just like a Film M, or I can use the modern convenience of live view or EVF when needed. I like the versatility.
Exactly. You can disable the dedicated video recording and live-view buttons via the M240 menu. Now you've got the same "pared-down" 262 feature set.

Old 08-10-2019   #13
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
If you had to choose between these two cameras, which one would you choose -the price would be the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
Exactly. You can disable the dedicated video recording and live-view buttons via the M240 menu. Now you've got the same "pared-down" 262 feature set.
Shhh, now you've made the 262 owners feel bad!

Old 08-10-2019   #14
bayernfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Shhh, now you've made the 262 owners feel bad!

262 is a great cam regardless. Im waiting for the m10 monochrom to release. Then Ill snatch up a 246 at half price 😀

Old 08-11-2019   #15
sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
I already had a Leica SL when I decided between the M240 or the M262. I chose the later because they complement each other well.
I should add that if I didnít have the SL as well, then I would have chosen the 240, for the occasional use of LV. There is no doubt that the 240 is a more versatile camera.

Old 08-11-2019   #16
Out to Lunch

Thanks guys. I'm still pondering what to do but your feedback is very useful!

Old 08-11-2019   #17
Gregm61

You really cannot go wrong either way. I use my M262 for a lot of landscape/nature imaging like these I captured this morning with a 21mm f3.4 Super Elmar.

and 35mm f2.4 Summarit..

Old 08-11-2019   #18
Takkun
Ian M.

Like some others, I won't say what I 'd do hypothetically but what I did actually do: I got the M262.

I'd been eyeing the M9 for FF, (count me in the 'not-a-fan-of-cropped-sensors-because-i-still-mostly-shoot-film' camp) still wasn't jazzed with low light performance or the surprisingly high resell price. Left the M240 and M262. I was finding the latter in better condition for a lot lower prices, despite being a nominally newer camera. I guess people will really pay a premium for LV and a frame line preview lever.

But I really don't mind buying used and dinged gear, so more of a factor was the rumored better lowlight of the 262: supposedly same sensor, but different signal processing. No, it's still not A7-levels of performance, but hey, I'm shooting an M for a reason, and I'd rather trade mediocre live view for it, since after dark is when switch film for silicon. A nice minty camera was a plus.

My thoughts on LV: I don't use it, or want it, at all. Used to use a Nikon D3s for work and it came in handy for unusual shots, but it was an otherwise atrocious experience; same went with the X100 EVF. From what I understand, the 240 wasn't that much better. Even on modern cameras I've played with in person, I still prefer an optical finder. I'll admit some curiosity, since I'd love to see what some of my Bronica lenses look like on digital, but eh. Wasn't worth it. But that's just my personal usage...if I had a lot more vintage SLR lenses, I might be more inclined.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 09-28-2019   #19
triton3k

While I was in the market for my first digital Leica I to compared the M240P to the M262 and tried both and my deciding factor with why I went with the M240P was simply because of it having Live View. I find that for certain situations live view is a big help so having that was my main factor in why I picked up the 240.

Old 09-29-2019   #20
ktmrider

So, if price and condition of the cameras is equal, why not get the one with the most features, especially if they can be disabled if you don't use them. I have an MP240 and seldom crimp and have used it for a video once in two years.

Old 09-29-2019   #21
eckhardf

I think the shutter sounds might differ between the type 240 and 262?

I am guessing that the sound of the 240 shutter might be fractionally louder or longer as it needs to revert to an open (sensor exposed) state after actuation to accommodate live view.

The shutter sound of my M-D 262 is very quiet and the shutter blinds remain in a closed state after actuation and when changing lenses.

I'm very happy with my personal choice and enjoy the simplicity in operation that the M-D offers.

Old 09-29-2019   #22
airfrogusmc

I bought the M 262 instead of the 240. It's lighter, it's shutter is not a loud as the 240 and no video.

Old 09-29-2019   #23
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
So, if price and condition of the cameras is equal, why not get the one with the most features, especially if they can be disabled if you don't use them. I have an MP240 and seldom crimp and have used it for a video once in two years.
Because if you do not use those features, the more minimal one might be more appealing to some. The camera is made for a reason this way... because some like this style. To those who prefer this style of camera, it is hard to explain to someone who doesn't.

Old 09-29-2019   #24
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Less is more.

Mike

Old 09-29-2019   #25
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckhardf View Post
I think the shutter sounds might differ between the type 240 and 262?

I am guessing that the sound of the 240 shutter might be fractionally louder or longer as it needs to revert to an open (sensor exposed) state after actuation to accommodate live view.

The shutter sound of my M-D 262 is very quiet and the shutter blinds remain in a closed state after actuation and when changing lenses.
On the M240 if you aren't using LiveView and are using classic metering the shutter is closed between exposures too.

Shawn

Old 09-29-2019   #26
raid
Dad Photographer

I would pick the M 240 for its very useful LiveView function. If you are a purist, use a Barnack Leica with film. With a digital Leica camera, get the technology and make use of it.

Just my thoughts on it.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-29-2019   #27
Gregm61

There was a period of months during 2018 when I owned the M262 (bought new in 2016), an MP240 and M246 Monochome, both purchased used from Tamarkin. Today I own just my original M262. The M240 and 246 are significantly heavier due to the Aluminum top plate of the M262, which in real use feels no less sturdy but is quite a bit lighter, and if you have it packed with a series of 4 lenses like I often do (21 or 18mm, 35, 75 and 135) any weight savings is nice.

Image quality between the M240 and M262 is no different. The one thing I do miss with the M262 is the preview lever as I do utilize it quite a bit when shooting my M4 and M6 film bodies. I've considered asking Don Goldberg if he had the ability to add one to it.

Old 09-29-2019   #28
Doug

The M240 is a fine and uniquely versatile Leica. I explored the live view feature early-on with adapted SLR lenses but have not found it particularly useful as I have a nice SLR too. I have not used the video feature, not even accidentally.

Then I got the M-D262 and connected right away, very likeable camera... I have it with me now on my vacation to the snowy Canadian Rockies, with an old v.1 35 Summicron. And, Greg, it has a frameline preview lever.