Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

What camera does make you happy? Why?
Old 01-27-2016   #1
kbg32
neo-romanticist

What camera does make you happy? Why?

Seems that many of us here are never satisfied and are constantly bashing this camera or that, based on minimal reviews, never having even held them, others opinions, and even before they are officially released to the buying public.

Well what cameras does make you happy? Why? It must be a camera that you still use.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 01-27-2016   #2
NickTrop

My now/outdated Nikon D5000 with its affordable 35/1.8
Any Yashica GSN
My Olympus XA
Pentax PC 35af

Old 01-27-2016   #3
kxl
Social Documentary

Currently, the Nikon D800e -- because it does most everything that I want to do with a camera, complemented by a lot of available lenses--AF/MF, prime/zoom, from ultrawides to super teles--and the Nikon CLS system.

The other bodies that I own -- A7R, ZI and FM2N -- make me happy as well, but only for specific uses.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 01-27-2016   #4
jsrockit

Nikon Df. It feels great in my hands and reacts perfectly to the way I want to photograph. And the results are technically great.

Old 01-27-2016   #5
bmattock

Canon FX with 50mm f/1.8 Canon FL mount lens. Pure nostalgia, it was my first 'real' camera, given to me by my late father when I was 12. I'm 55 this year. Still shoot with it. I have many cameras, many lenses, but this is special to me.

Old 01-27-2016   #6
nbagno

I'm all film now and own a number of cameras. My three rangefinders consist of a Bessa 667w, Fuji GF670 and Fuji Gw690iii. If I had to keep only one would be the 690III.

It has a beautiful negative, great lens and really nothing to go wrong. Just meter, set your shutter and lens and go. And I don't need to worry about banging it around a little.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Old 01-27-2016   #7
Robert Lai

I've accumulated many cameras over the years. Those that I didn't get along with have been sold.

What I use daily in 35mm is the Leica M7, followed by the Bessa R. They feel great to use, and knock out accurate exposures.

In medium format, the Voigtlander Bessa RF 6 x9, or a Zeiss Super Ikonta IV. They come along due to their compact size when folded.

Old 01-27-2016   #8
marko.oja

My M9. It just goes.

I've been shooting a Nikon D750 for a while on work assignments, and I'm just so fed up with all the buttons. My Sony A7S is even worse.

Kinda tempted to sell the Sony and a kidney or two so I could buy the new Monochrom, though...

Old 01-27-2016   #9
Out to Lunch

Of all the cameras I own, the Fuji x-100t is the most versatile in terms of portability, size, weight, low light performance and ease of use. My Epson r-d1x in combination with voigtlander lenses is the most loved because it often produces something extra.

Old 01-27-2016   #10
Vics

Except for the first two (Yashica 12, Canon VT) I've kept all my cameras over 48 years of shooting. Now in my old age I'm enjoying taking them up in turn and shooting them again, bringing up all those wonderful memories. I couldn't pick a favorite. Today, it's the Pentax K1000 I bought in 1979. I'm shooting Velvia to make the most of these amazing SMC Pentax-M lenses. I love the near-perfect simplicity of this camera!

My Flickr

Old 01-27-2016   #11
jamin-b

Nikon fm3a. It feels great, works flawlessly, meters impeccably and has all info readily available.
Olympus Pen F with any of the smaller lenses. A tiny solid jewel.
Leica M3, though it's so well crafted it can be intimidating
Rolleiflex MX EVS with a rolleiflex hood and rolleinar s and /or rolleikin

Old 01-27-2016   #12
Timmyjoe

When I'm working the D4 makes me happy, because it just works, and always allows me to get the shot.

When I'm not working, lately I'm having fun with a Canon A-1 & Double X (just like the meter, the simplicity, and the way the 50mm 1.4 SSC renders with the 5222), a Nikon F w/FTN & Double X (I like the meter and the simplicity, and the way the old Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4 renders with the 5222), and a Minolta 16QT (which I rebuilt and made a battery for, so now it works like new, and I get to shoot through the 800 ft of 16mm B&W motion picture film I've had stored in the freezer for years).

That's about it.

Old 01-27-2016   #13
slantface
Jordan Dickinson

About 6 months ago, I bought a beat up M4 Black Paint, and a 35mm Summicron Ver.III. I've somehow managed to acquire tons of other Leica gear over the years, ranging MPs to M2/M3, but really, this M4/35 is about all I need. I don't know if I could ever sell all of my other gear, but there's just something about a beat up brassed M with a tiny 35 that really does it for me. The size alone is the best reason for me, and with a few rolls of tri-x, I'm a happy shooter.

Old 01-27-2016   #14
Brad Bireley

My Holga & Polaroid 250. Because of their simplicity.

Old 01-27-2016   #15
f16sunshine

Happy?
Only the fun ones. Yashica GTN and GX, Rolleiflex, Agfa Clack... Happy

Most used in order
Fuji Xe1-f.4/35, Hexar AF ,Olympus xa3, mju2, Fuji gf670, Yashicamat A

Old 01-27-2016   #16
redsky

My M8.2. More than my M typ 240, more than my M6, more than my Ricoh GR.

It has the perfect size for my large hands (M6 is a bit too slim) and I don't feel like I need to be so careful with it as I am with my M.

Old 01-27-2016   #17
harpofreely

I have a lot; I ought to by now, having bought and sold so many.

Leica M3 - Leica's best viewfinder for the mighty Summicron 50mm Dual Range, and a thousand other reasons.

Bronica S2A - For the rendering of the old Bronica Nikkor lenses, and because it's like holding a football made out of a Cadillac.

Yashica MAT - The first, best-made, non-metered version - When I want portable medium format and/or the simplicity of one lens, one orientation, just shoot.

Canon T70 - Extreme practicality: AA battery, minimal but well-thought-out feature set, cheap & easy to replace (take it to the crap side of town, or hand it to a child), supports my killer collection of Canon FD lenses.

Fuji X-E2 - My digital sweet-spot.

Koni-Omega Rapid - Huge, preposterous, and surprisingly ergonomic, an image-quality monster.

Minolta X-570 - Perfect 35mm SLR feature set, and the glory of the Rokkor MC 50mm f1.4 keeps me from lusting after a Summilux.

Honorable mentions:

Leica iiic - Once I feel like shelling out $$$ to get it and its lenses serviced.

Konica FP - The old, mechanical F-mount, not the FP-1 - My personal high-water-mark of the visual aspects of SLR design: the curves, the font of the engraving, the off-center lens mount...

- Henry David Thoreau

Old 01-27-2016   #18
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I'm using FED-2 few times per year just like I used it many years ago, it makes me happy as something which is still the same and usable for decades.
M4-2 makes me happy as well because I like to use it on happy time, which is free time for me.

Old 01-27-2016   #19
jsrockit

camera, not cameras?

Old 01-27-2016   #20
pete hogan

My Zorki 1c and Jupiter-8 for B&W landscapes.

I appreciate the ease of an iPhone for routine photos and iCloud storage now. Conversion of some with the Artista Impresso app on an iPad mini is enjoyable.

Zorki 1d Ektar

Old 01-27-2016   #21
jloden

I'll sidestep the philosophical question of whether any camera actually can make one happy, and stick to the spirit of the thread

I've cycled through a lot of cameras over years and always fallen out of love with at least some part of them eventually. So it's hard to say whether my current choices will stand the test of time either! With that said, some that come to mind:

Ricoh GR (II) - Tiny, pocketable, great quality. The P&S, fixed-lens design means I leave everything out of the equation except framing and timing. This camera re-invigorated my photography by simplifying everything to the minimum necessary so even if it moves on eventually I consider it special for that alone.

Leica M3 - Not always my camera of choice because I like wide angles quite a bit, but the particular M3 I own was loaned to me by a good friend and constituted my first serious foray into shooting film. I eventually bought it from him, and I don't plan on ever selling it. I love its simplicity, and the smooth mechanical precision in use. The sentimental value makes me appreciate it on another level every time I put a roll of film through it.

Old 01-27-2016   #22
Andrea Taurisano
il cimento

The camera that makes me "happy" is the one I happen to have with me the rare times inspiration to shoot is there. When that happens, I feel high no matter if it's a Holga, a Leica or whatever else..

ilcimento.com

"If I knew how to take a good picture, I'd do it all the time", Robert Doisneau

Old 01-27-2016   #23
mfogiel

I've got so many great cameras, that any of them makes me happy, when I have it in hand and am around using it. However, for reasons of weight and convenience, some smaller format cameras get used more:
Leica(s) M7
Nikon(s) FM3A
Bronica(s) RF
Contax 645
Rolleiflex(es)
Hasselblad(s)

Old 01-27-2016   #24
YouAreHere

In no particular order -

Minolta CLE, because it fits my hand so well.

Olympus XA, pocketable silent shutter.

Canon L1, for days when I don't need a meter.

On the digital side, the Dlux5. To take a break from film.

Old 01-27-2016   #25
ijesato

From the many cameras that I own, I feel that 2 of them are special, not only because the pictures that produce also because of the sensation that I have whenever I use them.

My two "happy cameras" are the Fujifilm x10 and a Zenit 12 with an industar 50-2.

Old 01-27-2016   #26
AlwaysOnAuto

I'm easily pleased, my SD1000's get a lot of use and rarely turn out a bad exposure.

Old 01-27-2016   #27
goamules

- My old black Leica II with Hektor - It's just so small and old, yet works fine!
- My 1890s wholeplate Rochester Universal - fantastic wood and enough movements, it's the precursor to a Deardorff.

Old 01-27-2016   #28
barnwulf

My Sony A7r because of the I like the detailed image that I can get and the highlights are easily controlled. I also like my M3, M4, my lllc and I am just delighted with my black Leica II. They are all keepers. - jim.

Old 01-27-2016   #29
d__b

My Leica M4-P with either my CV 35/1.4 SC or the ZM 50/2.0 Planar and some Tri-X. Pure simplicity.

Old 01-27-2016   #30
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Right now my Canon IIS2 with the 5cm Nikkor f1.4 lens is my favourite.

I like using the camera and I am finding out the the 1.4 Nikkor is actually sharper than my Canon f1.5 lens.

Old 01-27-2016   #31
Ronny

Happy:
Leica MD, M2, M3
Pentax MX, ME
Nikon F, F2
Canon F-1, F-1N

Unhappy:
Leica M4-2, M5, M6, M7, M8, M9
Pentax MV
Nikon F3, F4
Canon EF
Digital Cameras

Old 01-27-2016   #32
awbphotog

Of all the cameras I've used, I would say that to date my most fun has been had with the Ricoh GR series cameras. I've own three of the original GRD cameras which were incredibly fun despite their relatively short life span (during my ownership, anyways). I have a Ricoh GR now that is still awaiting repair but that combined with a nice 28mm VF is digital bliss for me. I shoot now with the X-Pro 1 but it doesn't compare, even with the 28mm lens and the optical finder. Go figure. If I had to choose a film camera, it would be with out a single shred of a doubt the Fuji G690BL (+100mm f/3.5 lens) because of its robust build and fool-proofness. It also just happens to produce some of the most romantic, beautiful negatives I could ever ask for.

Old 01-27-2016   #33
richard_l

Leica M2
Leica M6
Nikon FM2

They are simple and intuitive to operate, and I can depend on them to work flawlessly.

Old 01-27-2016   #34
Spanik

There are a couple of cameras that I really like to use:
- Mamiya 645 ProTL is my go-to camera. I know how it will look when I press that button. Fits my hands, everything at the right place, nothing that isn't needed around.
- Fuji G690BL with the 65mm, can keep the grin of my face when taking it out of the bag
- 5DII, bland maybe but dependable

Old 01-27-2016   #35
Bill Clark

Honestly, none.

It's in front of the camera that makes me happy!

The camera that makes most happy is a Barnack. I use it to make photographs of my family, especially grandchildren.

Old 01-27-2016   #36
RichL

Minox III

It is (As Mr. Zapp intended.) the perfect precision always with you camera.

With focusing from eight inches to infinity you can, with reasonable care in film choice and processing, produce prints up to 5x7 of anything from a pansy to Half Dome without a problem. With unreasonable care of the above it can produce quite acceptable prints up to 11x14.

Being able to carry two cartridges (100 shots) in my watch pocket is a nice bonus.

Old 01-27-2016   #37
CMur12

My main 35mm cameras are 5 Minolta manual-focus SLRs (early black-dial SR-T 101, early SR-T 102, very last of the SR-T 201, and two X-570s. I have a nice range of Minolta Rokkor primes for these cameras.

I like the SR-Ts because they are much like my first SLR and I just like working with the effective simplicity of an all-metal match-needle SLR. The X-570 has great aperture-priority automation, a very bright finder, a nice "Touch Switch" shutter release, and the ability to work with an autowinder (handy for a left-eyed photographer). I also like Minolta optics.

In medium format, I have always loved TLRs, going back to the days of my Kodak Duaflex IV when I was a boy. I really like their rugged, vibrationless simplicity and their handling. I have Minolta Autocords, Mamiyas (simply brilliant!), Rolleiflexes, Yashicas, and a Ricohflex.

- Murray

Old 01-27-2016   #38
Nokton48

My Minolta SRT's. I started with the SRT-100 when I was seventeen (first -really- good camera). A while back I bought another one to experience it again and it's still my favorite SRT.

Plaubel Makina III. This camera makes me smile In all sorts of ways. And my Plaubel Makiflexes.

Old 01-27-2016   #39
edge100
-

Leica MP, because it's an absolute joy to hold and shoot.

Mamiya 7, because the images are simply incredible.

Old 01-27-2016   #40
Spavinaw

I think the cameras that make me the happiest are the ones I consider to be my most versatile: Canon A-1, Canon Kiss IIIL, and Pentax 24EW. Why I like each one: Canon A-1 because of all the different body programs and my large lens collection; Canon Kiss IIIL because of lighted display, panoramic mode, and all the different lenses I can adapt to it; and Pentax 24EW because it is 24mm at the wide end.