Any camera with separated AF/Shutter release button?
Old 10-19-2015   #1
paniolo

Any camera with separated AF/Shutter release button?

Hello Photographers,
finaly I came in the mood to get a compact P&S wonder package to replace it with my mostly mechanical every day carry around cameras like my Barnacks and Olympus XA's.
The main reason I was always afraid in buying a Contax T2/tvs, Minilux/CM, Nikon 35ti, etc. was that I couldn't imagine to deal with the way the Autofocus works. (I have never handled one of these)
I am correct that they all have a link between shutter and AF?
I imagine to have a separate AF button like on my fine Canon eos 20d to make sure it only focusses when I want it.

So the big question is: Is there any compact camera with that ability?

Old 10-19-2015   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Hello Photographers,
finaly I came in the mood to get a compact P&S wonder package to replace it with my mostly mechanical every day carry around cameras like my Barnacks and Olympus XA's.
The main reason I was always afraid in buying a Contax T2/tvs, Minilux/CM, Nikon 35ti, etc. was that I couldn't imagine to deal with the way the Autofocus works. (I have never handled one of these)
I am correct that they all have a link between shutter and AF?
I imagine to have a separate AF button like on my fine Canon eos 20d to make sure it only focusses when I want it.

So the big question is: Is there any compact camera with that ability?
Nearly all AF point and shoots focus with focus lock on the shutter half press, make the exposure by following through to a full press. So it's very easy to separate focus and exposure by learning how to half press, hold it there, frame and make the exposure.

More advanced compact cameras, like Olympus Pen E-Pxx models, have an AF/AE Lock button which allows you to define several different ways that the button and shutter release can interact, with respect to both AF and AE.

The way I usually have my E-PL7 set up, I dedicate the AF/AE Lock to exposure control as a toggle. I have the AF/MF toggle set to a function button nearby the shutter. So to focus, I half press the shutter release then press the AF/MF toggle. That locks the focus. To set exposure, I half press the shutter release and press the AELock. That locks exposure. After that I'm free to make exposures whenever I want, tweaking focus as needed. A press on the two function buttons restores the camera to full automatic operation.

That's just one way to set it up. It works for me, but several other configurations are possible.

G

Old 10-19-2015   #3
paniolo

Hello and thank you.
Sure I know about focus lock, but thats realy not the thing I want.
As I said, I want to know if there is a camera with a separate button only for AF, so the shutter release is only for the shutter release.

Old 10-19-2015   #4
JP Owens

I'm not familiar with all P&S digitals; but, the Sony A6000 and Panasonic GH3 both can be set up like DSLRs, with back button focus, separating focus from the shutter release.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 10-19-2015   #5
paniolo

btw, i am looking for an analogue camera. ;-)

Old 10-19-2015   #6
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
btw, i am looking for an analogue camera. ;-)
You mean a film camera. I'm afraid you're completely out of luck there. No film point and shoot I've ever seen had separate AF and shutter release buttons. They were either automated with half-press focus-and-lock, or manual (or fixed) focus entirely.

G

Old 10-19-2015   #7
f16sunshine

There are some with ae lock or manual exposure but that's about as close as you get (contax g models for example). I believe the contax t-2/3 have ael as well which accomplishes your goal.
You will have to work backwards from your 20D method.
Expose where you want and lock. Then focus.
It's not so different really.

Old 10-19-2015   #8
Axel

I´m shure there are ...

Have a look at the Hexar AF for example.

Regards, Axel

Old 10-19-2015   #9
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel100 View Post
I´m shure there are ...

Regards, Axel
Nothing different about the Hexar AF with respect to AF that I can glean from the manual. It does have manual focus.

G

Old 10-19-2015   #10
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Nothing different about the Hexar AF with respect to AF that I can glean from the manual. It does have manual focus. G
It has manual exposure as well which also achieves op's purpose.

Old 10-19-2015   #11
anerjee

Contax G2, while not technically a point-and-shoot, has what you are looking for.

Old 10-19-2015   #12
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel100 View Post
I´m shure there are ...

Regards, Axel
Yep, correct.. the Hexar comes closest to what the OP needs. It allows separate setting of auto focus distance, auto exposure and completely unrelated subject..

But the way to get there is not entirely obvious. Still you can do absolutely insane stuff like this:

With the Hexar in autofocus mode, aim at something, press shutter halfway, while doing that, tap the MF button just once. This locks focus. You can now take your finger away from the shutter, aim at something else, press shutter halfway to lock exposure, recompose to somewhere else again and shoot.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 10-19-2015   #13
btgc

I think I've seens some early Yashica AF compact with AF button on front of body. Like this:

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...YashicaAF.html

Another variant of it
http://blog.bkspicture.com/review_Ya...uto_Focus.html

Old 10-20-2015   #14
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
It has manual exposure as well which also achieves op's purpose.
Well, if it's manual exposure that's wanted, my Minox 35GT-E does that beautifully. :-)

I thought the desire was a point and shoot with AF but back-button AF initiation.

G

Old 10-20-2015   #15
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

I guess at this point I'll have to point out again that most of them have focus locks but not on a special button dedicated to that purpose. So the question is, what's wrong with the half push of the shutter to lock the focus...

Regards, David

Old 10-20-2015   #16
Mudman

I have an olympus infinity (af-1) for free to a good home that has the focus lock on a separate button. The kicker is I've never tested it as the battery is a bit hard to find.

Old 10-20-2015   #17
peterm1

If you are talking about film cameras, some such as the Contax T2 have a manual focus mode from memory (its been a while) if this helps. As others have pointed out they will typically also allow you to use a "half press" of the shutter button to lock focus (and also in at least some cases, lock exposure as well. I know of none that has a separate AF/AE button of the sort some current DSLRs have.

Old 10-20-2015   #18
Greyscale

The Samsung ECX-1 and ECX-2 have a manual focus mode, but you would need to know or guess the focus distance, as they do not have focus confirm in this mode. And without knowing the exact aperture and shutter speed that the camera will select, scale-focusing would be iffy at best.

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-20-2015   #19
CK Dexter Haven

I'm curious. Why do you want this...in a P&S-type camera? How often do you really need your exposure set on something that isn't your focus point? Is there some other reason?

Old 10-21-2015   #20
paniolo

I want to prefocus on something and release later, without keep halfpressing the shutter release button. And without the need to focus again when I want to take my shot. But ok, looks like the Contax G is the only one. Not realy a compact ;-)

Old 10-21-2015   #21
jamin-b

Some P&S cameras allow you to manually set focus distance...

Old 10-21-2015   #22
Greyscale

Quote:
I want to prefocus on something and release later, without keep halfpressing the shutter release button. And without the need to focus again when I want to take my shot. But ok, looks like the Contax G is the only one. Not realy a compact ;-)
Some of the later Canon compacts have what they refer to as "RTS (Real-time shutter)", which I think would do what you need, for much less than a G1 would cost. But a compact rangefinder would do the same, why even use a point and shoot for this? There are different tools for different jobs.

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-21-2015   #23
Peter_S

Quote:
But ok, looks like the Contax G is the only one. Not realy a compact ;-)
But pretty awesome, and in many was still the best analog system I have used. Fast, snappy really solid and reliable. And fun!
I miss mine occassionally.
The Contax T3 has AF-lock, that may work for you. And I cannot praise that camera highly enough.

PS - I agree with Greyscale, a small all-manual RF (Leica CL, VL Bessa) with a small lens may work better for your purposes.
--------------------------
www.ps-photo.net
On instagram