Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 01-27-2016   #41
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

My black OM1 .... there is nothing about that camera that I don't like. Just looking at it pleases me and the feeling I get when I use it is irreplaceable.

Old 01-27-2016   #42
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Any of my M2's. I have used these for 50+ years and I suspect that my hands have kind of shaped themselves around a M2 body - with a good 35mm lens on it.
For the last month I have been shooting with anything but a M2 (Bessa, Zeiss and Nikon Rf's) It was fun and all of these cameras are very good and does what I expect them to do.On sunday though, it is back to a couple of M2's, some XX film in IXMOO cassettes. There has definitely been a "withdrawal" symptom here. I can unload and load a M2, set speed and aperture - and provided the lens has some kind of focussing tab, preset distance - all with my eyes closed.

Old 01-27-2016   #43
Alpsman

Any mechanical marvel that works without batteries and has no unnecessary sh.. on it.

Old 01-28-2016   #44
Rico

- Nikon D3X in the studio for control over the process, and sheer image quality.
- Contax Aria for walkaround with a couple of small CZ primes
- Leica IIIb for feeling the taking moment

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Sony; Profoto

What camera does make you happy? Why?
Old 01-28-2016   #45
havelenswilltravel

What camera does make you happy? Why?

This is interesting question, because I was interested in photography when dad had a Brownie, then in '59 his brother back from Germany had a 3F, I was 7 and I fell in love with it, but didn't know what it was, then high school I learned darkroom, using Diana, no love she didn't feel special, but for the process. Then I went to Pentax MX now it was special, small, cute, and made lots of money!

That led to Leica M4.2/winder/35 OH SNAP!! That was first camera that went to bed with me!..and when I started shooting nudes! Many Leicas later, the M4.2 is the one that bring smiles and great memories. I was tempted to trade it for digital Ms but when I look at it, damn those memories! I may have it buried with me!

Old 01-28-2016   #46
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
Well what cameras does make you happy? Why? It must be a camera that you still use.
All the cameras I still use make me happy. I got rid of the ones that made me sad.

If I had to use for the rest of my life only one of the cameras that makes me happy, I would select Nikon F2 because it is reliable and is part of an extensive system.

Nikon F2 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 01-28-2016   #47
PeterAM

A Fuji X100T that I got last year puts a smile on my face. I can shove it in a coat pocket, use it quite comfortably and get nice results.

Old 01-28-2016   #48
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

I use three digital cameras all the time, and I use and enjoy each for different purposes and reasons: Leica M240, Canon 7DII and Fujifilm X-Pro 1. Others get used from time to time. I'm not using my film cameras as much as I should but my favourites (at the moment; this changes) are the beat-up old OM-4T I've owned for ages, my M3 and (perhaps) my Zeiss 645 Super Ikonta.

Which reminds me: I've been distracted (work!) and need to do more photography that isn't family-and-friends snapshots.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 01-28-2016   #49
skibeerr

Leica M7.

It was a gift from my wife.

Old 01-29-2016   #50
John Bragg

My Nikon F100 which is a surprise to me. I love the simplicity and the feel. It works flawlessly with any of my Nikkor lenses, manual or auto focus and as much as I was always a manual focus devotee, it has surprised me how much I like and can rely on the af.

Old 01-29-2016   #51
giulio stucchi

I'm with Tom A.
Leica M2 and a tabbed 35mm lens.
Heaven.

Old 01-29-2016   #52
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Nikon D750. Great ergonomics, very responsive, and superb image quality.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 01-29-2016   #53
peterm1

What kind of camera makes me happy?

A new one.

Why?

Because it's new.

Its as simple and as complex as that. (Because deep down.......I am shallow).

Sadly our entire economy is pretty much built on this kind of quick self gratification, just like me. But I have to say in my defence that I am not the worst offender. I almost never buy new and I usually buy the last model or the model before that when (a) its cheaper and (b) I will have by then read and reread the articles and reviews and know if its for me. This means most of my camera gear is at least 2 years old when I get it and I will happily hang onto it for a few years before the bug to really upgrade bites.

Old 01-29-2016   #54
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi

I don't know about 'new' but 'new to me' and in a charity shop or flea market always makes me happy, especially when the price is a pittance.

In use, my old Leica CL and Minolta X-300 with the Tokina ATX zoom and whatever tiny P&S has film in it.

EDIT; I just realised that I'm thinking 'happiest' rather than 'happy' but they all make me happy: I'd sell them if they didn't as there's enough misery in the world without looking for it.

Of the ones I had but not any more; the Contax Tix. I just wish APS film was being made for it as it's as near to perfect as any P&S will get; tiny, brilliant lens, lens hood and useful controls.

Regards, David

Old 01-29-2016   #55
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

My kids and my wife make me happy in a way no camera can.

These cameras make me smile when I pick them up and are a lot of fun to use -- and many of my best images have been made with them:

Pentax 67 (90 or 165mm lenses)
Leica M6 (most often with the Summicron-C 2/40)
Leica MD-2 (with the Snapshot Skopar 4/25)

Old 01-29-2016   #56
jojoman2

My camera allows me to engage in a constantly evolving relationship with (my) art. I also get to meet a lot of really cool people I otherwise wouldn't have. I was photographing in Newark a few weeks ago and I met this group of school kids. I asked them if I could photograph them for my book, and they laughed and were like, "hell no, we don't know you." I ended up talking with them for 5 minutes and taking about 5 or 6 pictures of the group. Any activity that allows me, a white kid from a middle class background in his early 20's, to connect with school kids in Newark, people whose experience is nearly nothing like my own, is something worthwhile.

I also enjoy the experience of fully manual photography. I've been taking pictures for about a year with my Leica M4 and feel like I've grown immensely as a photographer. Personal growth makes me happy.

Old 01-29-2016   #57
SamShio
hiking/walking photog

I really enjoy my Bessa R4M and Bessa R2 they work out great for me, love using them.

Old 01-29-2016   #58
Hogarth Ferguson

My Gf670. I recently got a full case for it, and even after 2 years, I keep looking at it. I absolutely love shooting with it. Every aspect of it is wonderful. The knobs have started brassing, the paint is chipping a lil bit from the front. It is awesome.

Old 01-29-2016   #59
mjc

For my 35mm camera: Contax T3. Why? The zeiss lens, ease of use, portability....

(at least currently this is the case!! Who knows about next week )

Old 01-29-2016   #60
Ruhayat

The one that would keep me happy, I haven't found yet. It would have the solid build and haptics of my Leica MP, reliability and semi-automation options of my Nikon F3HP, the weight of my Olympus OM1n, and the size of my Leica CL.

As of now, the one that comes closest is my Leica R-E, though that is now in need of repair (light leak, meter gone kaput, stuck shutter).

Old 01-29-2016   #61
marcr1230

All the ones I own make me

High on the list:

Portraits - OM-4T w Zuiko 85/2.0
Travel - Fuji X100T
Around Town - Nikon SP ( mostly w 50mm/1.4 Millennium Nikkor )
Around Town - Nikon S2
Travel/Around Town - Leica MP + Biogon C 35/2.0
Sports - Nikon D750
Beach and trail - Olympus TG-2
Everywhere and all the time - iPhone 6s

Old 01-29-2016   #62
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

I like my Fuji X E2 'cause the results exceed the $ cost and the PITA cost (or lack of) of carrying it around. In other words:
little dough, little hassle = very fine results.

My Nikon 800e makes me happy because I know the results will be high optimum---as long as I do my part right.
Sort of like insisting on a very accurate target gun....you know that you will hit the target if you shoot correctly. If you miss, you didn't.
Simple.

Bunch of Nikon and Fuji X digital stuff
introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 01-29-2016   #63
esearing

My first camera Minolta X700 - It just works, feels good, and is cheap enough to replace if it dies.

But my mid life crises introduced me to a lovely Ikeda Anba 4x5 and we are having a marvelous affair. I held a shen-hao once but let her slip away.

Old 01-29-2016   #64
Frontman

I buy and sell a lot of cameras, and some very nice ones at that. I would have to say that the cameras which make me happy are the ones which I cannot bring myself to sell.

These would be my Rolleiflex 2.8E, my Nikon F3P, and an old Yashica CCN.

Unfortunately, the Planar lens in the Rolleiflex is starting to separate, and either I will have to find a replacement lens, or get another camera.

On the digital side, I have a D700 and a X100T. The D700 lets me shoot some of my favorite manual focus Nikkor lenses, the X100T is a great all-round camera which has a bit of magic to it, it takes great photos. It delivers amazing skin tones, and always seems to get the best possible exposure in whichever conditions I am shooting in. The built in flash is amazing, it lights up what want lit up, without overdoing it, and still allowing enough exposure to bring out things in the background. There was a lot of hype about the X100T when I first read about it, but the camera lives up to it.

Old 01-29-2016   #65
ironhorse
Joe DuPont

My Leica M3. Beautifully designed and crafted with a viewfinder that is a joy to look through. A camera that is pleasure to use and to look at.

Joe

"The whole point of taking pictures is so that you don’t have to explain things with words." - Elliott Erwitt

Old 01-29-2016   #66
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I just remembered one camera (two actually) that although I haven't used them in some time have to at the top of the list in my digital world and that's the DP2M and DP3M. You either love these quirky beasts or you loathe them ... I chose to love them.

Old 01-29-2016   #67
trisberg

The camera that currently makes me happy is the Fujifilm X70. Why? Because I'm anticipating how much fun I will have with this little marvel tucked into my pocket, with all retro style knobs and dials, ready to shoot. It should match my X100T in picture quality while being even more portable. And, since I don't have it yet, I haven't had a chance to figure out what quirks will drive me crazy and maybe make me hate it ...

-Thomas

Old 01-29-2016   #68
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

THINGS (including cameras) don't make anyone happy. Happiness comes from within. Then you can make good pictures.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-29-2016   #69
TR3B

Believe it or not:
1Ds II - decent files, bullet proof, and feels right
M9- optical finder- simplicity and a free new sensor and check if needed = reassuring

Me pretty happy

Last edited by TR3B : 01-29-2016 at 19:02. Reason: spelling

Old 01-29-2016   #70
RichL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
THINGS (including cameras) don't make anyone happy. Happiness comes from within. Then you can make good pictures.
Speak for yourself.
When I'm feeling blue my Minox jumps to the end of it's chain and does a happy dance till I'm laughing and happy again.

Anything that lets me keep a memory
Old 01-29-2016   #71
Tim Murphy

Anything that lets me keep a memory

Dear kbg,

I'm not a photographer, I'm just some guy that takes pictures.

As long as I on occasion record something that allows me to keep a memory I'm good.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Old 01-29-2016   #72
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Speak for yourself.
When I'm feeling blue my Minox jumps to the end of it's chain and does a happy dance till I'm laughing and happy again.
Nope, that's you doing the happy dance. You're just associating.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-30-2016   #73
Perks

My old man gave me his M6 classic and it's a joy. I returned to film and just love pressing that button and winding it on.

Old 01-30-2016   #74
Addy101

Funny, you write in your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
But your signature states: "Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100"

My Sony A900 is making me happy. It gives me confidence and the results I like.

Old 01-30-2016   #75
DaveTaylor

My X100, pre-ordered it and had to wait until May 2011 when it was finally available in Canada. It has been the only camera on several trips overseas and never failed to give great results. Small, reliable and fun to use.

Old 02-02-2016   #76
CajunCC

The Nikon SP makes me happy whether i'm shooting with it or just handling it because it's so beautifully solid and smooth in everything it does.

The Yashica C makes me happy any time i'm carrying it because it's unique, beautiful, and the waist-level finder is a joy to shoot through.

The Nikon D700 makes me happy any time there's a challenge and it overcomes it without hesitation.

I'm a lucky man and wouldn't change any of it.

Old 02-02-2016   #77
aoresteen

I have two cameras that make me very happy.

1. My black Nikon SP 2005. I was home on R&R from Iraq in Jan 2008. I had saved my combat pay and I have always (well, since 1978) wanted a black SP. So I bought a new one from Ritz with the new 35mm f/1.8. I took it back with me to Iraq leaving my Leica M4-P at home.

2. My Hasselblad 2000FC/M & my battered 500C. Just perfection.
Cambo 23F 6x9, Olympus OM, Pentax M42, 6x6 & 6x7

De Oppresso Liber

Old 02-03-2016   #78
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

A Nikon FM10.

Yes it's cheap, yes, it's plastic, yes, it is not even made by Nikon.

But it has the perfect feature set, perfect ergonomics and a perfect light meter implementation... TO ME.

And although it is a Cosina chassis, said chassis has been used on a line of cameras that stretches to the horizon. Including the beloved CV rangefinders.

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 02-03-2016   #79
newt_on_swings

My bessa r, so simple and compact with a built in meter, paired with a small lens such as a canon 28mm is a beautiful thing. Pretty easy to guesstimate the framing using the 35mm lines with it too.

Any TLR really as well too. So fun.

My om4t's also very compact and feature packed with some amazing lenses.

My Fuji dl super mini zoom, got it for a song, lcd is dead so I have use buttons press counts to use the menus/modes, zoom is pitiful but in a very comfortable range, mine is dinged and scrapped all to hell, but it's a trooper and seems to always be around to grab the shot.

Old 02-03-2016   #80
Kent
Finally at home...

That depends on the mood I am in.

Cameras that regularly make me feel happy are:
  • Nikon Df
  • Fuji X-T1
  • Fuji X-E2
  • Leica M8
  • Leica M6
  • Fuji GW690
  • Yashica Electro 35GS
  • Weltaflex
  • Sigma DP1s
  • Leica IIIa sync
  • and several others...

Ah, and yes, the cam in my Sony Xperia Z3, because that's the one I have always with me.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...