Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

I am getting about 1100 shots on one battery charge
Old 11-30-2015   #1
kshapero
Growing with experience

Thumbs up I am getting about 1100 shots on one battery charge

On my old Nikon D7000, I am getting about 1100 shots on one battery charge. Gosh it makes a day of shooting a stress less event. Like the film days, but no changing of film either. The D7000 takes all my old Nikkor manual focus lenses and shoots all day. Plus the shutter button is ready to go at anytime with no lag. Yes it is bulky compared to my RF's, but there are a lot of pluses. Just getting to go out in nature and be able to use my ol' Nikon 105/2.5 is a fine time. OK I'm done, now where is my M3?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 11-30-2015   #2
mdarnton

I just bought a D7200 a couple of weeks ago. My D300 eats batteries, but the indicator on this one hasn't hardly moved. I guess I didn't need to buy that extra battery. And man, is it fast. Essentially there's no lag at all with AF, which is pretty amazing. And the D7200 is quite a bit smaller than the D300, so I'm happy.

It won't hang on my belt as nicely as an M4, though.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 11-30-2015   #3
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
..Plus the shutter button is ready to go at anytime with no lag..
Main reason I switched back from mirroless to a d750.. That the battery goes on like forever is a definite plus as well; I can preview a scene at leisure without the battery percentage counter visibly ticking backward all the time.. I'm sure it'll even get better once I stop playing around in the menus and doing in camera RAW conversions with every possible picture control..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 11-30-2015   #4
splitimageview

Yeah, optical VF doesn't draw power, and the sensor isn't drawing major power continously = longer battery life. Although on the other hand it only takes a few seconds to swap a battery.

Old 11-30-2015   #5
willie_901

Spare small, lighter batteries and a smaller lighter cameras are easier to carry than a larger, heavier camera.

I rarely had to use a Nikon DSLR battery. But I always carried their larger heavier batteries as back ups when I used Nikon DSLRs.

Changing batteries takes almost no time at all. Some mirrorless brands offer battery grips. Even with the grips the total size and weight is still significant advantage.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-30-2015   #6
kshapero
Growing with experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Spare small, lighter batteries and a smaller lighter cameras are easier to carry than a larger, heavier camera.

I rarely had to use a Nikon DSLR battery. But I always carried their larger heavier batteries as back ups when I used Nikon DSLRs.

Changing batteries takes almost no time at all. Some mirrorless brands offer battery grips. Even with the grips the total size and weight is still significant advantage.
True they are smaller but D7000 with a 35/1.8 is quite nice on my shoulder. No strain at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 12-01-2015   #7
willie_901

Quote:
True they are smaller but D7000 with a 35/1.8 is quite nice on my shoulder. No strain at all.
No doubt that is a nice combination.

Another benefit is the D7000 is truly ISOless. All post acquisition brightness is achieved using in-camera digital multiplication.

This means you can shoot raw, set ISO to base ISO, and ignore the meter except for very bright light where the sensor could be over exposed. This simplifies operation because except for very bright light you just use the optimum shutter time and aperture. Thought it does mean chimping is often useless .
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 12-01-2015   #8
css9450

Quote:
On my old Nikon D7000, I am getting about 1100 shots on one battery charge...
LOL I use my D7000 for night photography/light painting and often do exposures in the two to six minute range. Combine that with frequent use of the monitor and Live View I can drain a battery pretty quick. I carry spares for sure. But its still impressive nonetheless.... Much better than the battery my D80 uses.

Old 12-01-2015   #9
kymar

My D7000 gives me about 1000-1200 exp per battery charge. By comparison my D7100 struggles to get 700 from a full charge. Obviously they fixed that issue with the 7200.