Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

The Forever Question ... What camera to bring on a trip?
Old 01-15-2020   #1
Godfrey
somewhat colored

With the quality I can get with all my current camera equipment, and the iPhone 8 Plus, and the fact that I have too much to choose from, deciding what to bring on my upcoming cruise is the last and hardest decision when it comes to packing for the trip. Ah, First World Problems!

It's a non-photo-centric trip. I like the setup I went with last year on my jaunt to NY and Cape Cod: an iPhone and a Polaroid. This setup expands on that idea with a Travel Tripod and some accessories for the Polaroid.

Still thinking about it ... the question is always "what will I actually use?" Probably a bit less than the total in the photo. I'll maybe leave the accessory lenses for the Polaroid at home, but take the tripod...

Fun fun fun! As always.

G

Old 01-15-2020   #2
Solinar
Analog Preferred

That's a lot of gear in the above photo. On my past five out of town trips, my go to camera for three of them has been my antediluvian Kodak Retina IIa. It gets the look I want and there is one less accessory needing a USB charger.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 01-15-2020   #3
madNbad

Since taking your phone is pretty much a given, take the tripod, adapters for both the phone and the Polaroid. Polaroid, flash and film. If you find yourself wishing you had taken more stuff then you'll know nextime. More often, it sits in the bag.

Old 01-15-2020   #4
Solinar
Analog Preferred

If I am going to be outdoors most of the time, here is another camera that screams road trip.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 01-15-2020   #5
taemo

I know what you mean, I was on a 3 weeks vacation in the Philippines and packed the following

Canon EOS-R + 50mm 1.8
Leica M3 + 21mm 3.5 and 35mm 2
Olympus Tough TG-5
Iphone 11Pro
Tripod

as it was hot tropic weather, I didn't feel like walking aroundd and carrying too much gear with me so really I ended up using mostly the M3 with 21mm and the Iphone.

Didn't touch the EOS R and tripod at all.
The Olmypus was used in the beach.

Next vacation trip we are going to do, it will probably just be the Iphone 11Pro, Instankon RF70 and the Tough TG-5

Old 01-15-2020   #6
markjwyatt

Most of last year it was Contax iia; Zeiss Optron 50mm f2 Sonnar; Voigtlander SC Skopar 21mm f4; two finders and a few filters. Option was Konica Big Mini HG for quicker trips.

Old 01-15-2020   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Heh! LOL! That's why this is "The Forever Question"...

The spread out view above looks huge, but it all packs down into a small space. It's a little more than I carried last year but still pretty portable and not heavy. I've already put the accessory lenses for the SX70 back in the closet, I'll carry just the yellow filter for when I use B&W film. The Moment lenses for the iPhone take up very little space and give a lot of options so I'll carry them.

Another kit I thought would be fun would be the Minox C and the iPhone, or the Voigtländer Perkeo II and the iPhone. But on this cruise, people decorate their cabin door with photos ... I figure I'll bring a couple couple of polaroids to start with, and add more as the trip goes on.

The big question mark is the travel tripod ... I brought a tabletop tripod last year and barely used it because in all those situations where I wanted a support, there was no way to use it effectively. A regular tripod would have been more useful, but will only be useful for a modest number of situations anyway. So it's a question mark still. I might take it out and put the tabletop back in the bag. Or it might not fit in the bag... LOL!

I'll figure it out one way or another. I have just one more day to have everything packed and ready for the shuttle.

G

Old 01-15-2020   #8
Steve Bellayr

Going to a beach vacation: A Nikonos
Other places non-water Leica M6

Old 01-15-2020   #9
jsrockit

Godfrey, how can you resist bringing the Leica CL?

Old 01-15-2020   #10
Bingley

My travel kit has settled down to two cameras plus iPhone:

One digital camera, to handle color photos (on a trip to France in 2018, this was an Olympus Pen F, with the 17mm f1.8 lens).
One film camera, to handle bw photos (on the same 2018 trip, it was an M2).
I generally stick to two lenses: 50 and 35. I might thrown in a wider lens if I'm going to be shooting indoors or in tight spaces.

Going on a cruise next August to Germany, and will likely take a Leica M-E 240 for the digicam and a Bessa R2A for film, with 50, 35, and 28 lenses that can be swapped between the two camera bodies. And an iPhone of course.

FS: Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 01-15-2020   #11
maigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
Going to a beach vacation: A Nikonos
Other places non-water Leica M6
Just came back from four weeks in Northern Argentina with a Fuji GA645, Konica Auto S3 and iPhone 8 Plus.
When I returned I was pleasantly surprised to be reminded that I actually own dozens of cameras and lenses, not just the handful I brought with me.
While traveling I never once thought about any camera or lens that was not in my bag.
There were a few times I could have used my tripod, but I made do.

Michael.

Trip Cameras
Old 01-15-2020   #12
randy stewart

Trip Cameras

I'm not even sure I will take another trip like this (too old ). but at a somewhat hobbled 73, I'd take my Rollei 35SE loaded with Ektachrome 100 and my GA645Zi and a pocket full if HP-5 and Portra 400, plus a monopod.

Old 01-15-2020   #13
helenhill
mod chasing light

Sounds cool Godfrey ~
A Polaroid and an iPhone !!
Why not, Simplicity, Best of both Worlds

Old 01-15-2020   #14
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
[...]
While traveling I never once thought about any camera or lens that was not in my bag. [...]

This has been my experience, too. You would however regret having no backup if your only camera failed, or having brought too much if you have to carry it on your back. Nonetheless fretting about what to take is part of the fun!

Old 01-15-2020   #15
giganova

For my non-photography trips I throw a Fuji X-T3 into my bag.

Old 01-15-2020   #16
Pfreddee

How about a Rollei 35 SE, or some variation on it?

With best regards,

Pfreddee(Stephen)

I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Drat.

Old 01-15-2020   #17
Rayt

For non-photo oriented trip it’ll be a small digital. I have a Sony A7RII with Zeiss 35/2.8 else just use the phone.

Old 01-15-2020   #18
besk

For my trip to Belarus and Latvia this past summer I took an iPhone 7 and a Rolleiflex.
Included was a Sirui travel tripod. Worked great.

On the next trip a newly CLA'd Agfa Record III will go in place of the Rollei.

Old 01-15-2020   #19
ktmrider

Have been in the Philippines since early Nov, 2019 and brought M2 with 50, Fuji X100F plus flash and 28 aux lens, Gopro and phone. I have yet to make an image with the M2, and only use the GoPro for diving but good underwater photos take more work then I am willing to give. I have used the X100 the most but the phone is a close second as I can instantly send images home.

Would have been happy with just X100.

Old 01-15-2020   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Godfrey, how can you resist bringing the Leica CL?
With some difficulty, but I know that on this trip, it would simply be in the way but for two or three exposures. It's not a photo trip at all, more of a week-long electronica dance party at sea. The iPhone is really the perfect camera for this, and the Polaroid is, well, perfect in another way: People love having their photo made with a Polaroid!

That makes all the difference for this kind of travel.

G

Old 01-15-2020   #21
aizan

Don't leave the tripod at home! When I went on my last big trip, I only took an SX-70 and iPhone as well, and I often wished that I had a tripod because the lens and film are on the slow side. Portraits lit by a window or a "shade tunnel," architectural interiors, and landscapes in dim-ish light all ask for a tripod when you're shooting with an SX-70.

Since then, I've been keeping an eye out for a travel tripod. The Leofoto LS-284C looks like it'd be good, or the Really Right Stuff TFC-14 Mk2 if I can't help it.

Old 01-15-2020   #22
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Since taking your phone is pretty much a given, take the tripod, adapters for both the phone and the Polaroid. Polaroid, flash and film. If you find yourself wishing you had taken more stuff then you'll know nextime. More often, it sits in the bag.

On most cruises the phone doesn't/won't work. So, to me anyways, bringing the phone as a camera is a poor choice. Since you won't be doing a lot of hiking my goto camera is a Nikon DSLR with a wide angle and some long zooms. If you're going to be doing street photography on your fellow passengers, then bring your Leica & 35mm.

Old 01-15-2020   #23
maddoc
... likes film.

Why would the phone not work on a cruise? Possibly no connection, agreed. However, the camera and storage functions are independent of any network connection so there should be no problem taking photos with the phone. Insta might have to wait until the next shore leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
On most cruises the phone doesn't/won't work. So, to me anyways, bringing the phone as a camera is a poor choice. Since you won't be doing a lot of hiking my goto camera is a Nikon DSLR with a wide angle and some long zooms. If you're going to be doing street photography on your fellow passengers, then bring your Leica & 35mm.

flickr
pBase

Old 01-15-2020   #24
Archiver

For a 'week long electronica dance party at sea' (rave cruise?) your choice of iPhone and Polaroid sounds about right. The gear is low profile and easy to carry, and there's nothing you can't replace easily/affordably.

If it were me at such an event, my first camera would be the Panasonic LX10 with 24mm f1.4 zoom lens and 1 inch sensor. Great for low light and video, and still can be stashed in a pocket or sling bag. I happily use that as an everyday camera, just as I used the Panasonic LX7 before it, the Ricoh GR before that, and the Ricoh GRD III before that. High quality pocket cameras thrill me.

I have no idea if your tripod is a good thing addition. Maybe if you want to film sex videos on the cruise from beside the bed or couch, or vlog yourself. otherwise I can't see too much utility in a tripod for an iPhone or Polaroid camera.

Old 01-15-2020   #25
robert blu
quiet photographer

G with your photo experience you can get good photo with any tool .
It’s a non photographic trip, keep it simple: sx 70 + iphone and a few accessories sounds ok.
Enjoy the trip :-)

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-16-2020   #26
lcpr

Last trip I went on (a first time visit to NYC) I brought my Leica M4/35/50 + Nikon FM3A 28/105. In hindsight I could have done without the Leica but I did use it the most. My usual travel setup is a Rolleiflex and my digital Ricoh GR. I just got a Hasselblad SWC so I’m gonna find a way to fit that on on the next trip!

Old 01-16-2020   #27
leicapixie

i have returned a few days ago from a great trip to South Africa.
A family trip to see wonders, places and people,
the best of those my daughter and grandchildren family, ex-wife..
My daughter (a very good photographer) not appreciative of candids..
The phone the main camera,with Snapseed as main Photoshop.
A few toy digital cameras for personal shots.
Some SD cards, charger for phone and AA cells.
i had wifi when near my son-in-law..
Very little to carry, almost instant sharing to immediate family and world wide.
Everywhere i went were the new scanners, glad no film..
Since begin of 2019 have used the phone more and more!
Go light, go happy and secure.

Old 01-16-2020   #28
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
With some difficulty, but I know that on this trip, it would simply be in the way but for two or three exposures. It's not a photo trip at all, more of a week-long electronica dance party at sea. The iPhone is really the perfect camera for this, and the Polaroid is, well, perfect in another way: People love having their photo made with a Polaroid!

That makes all the difference for this kind of travel.

G
I understand. I agree with you...

Old 01-16-2020   #29
Archlich

I took the GR III to Cuba last November for 10 days. Worked well.

Anything could work. As long as you're okay to let go.

Old 01-16-2020   #30
Out to Lunch

On a cruise, as the OP indicated, I would focus on a lens that could exemplify the scrounging of good food. The rest is immaterial.

Old 01-16-2020   #31
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
Don't leave the tripod at home! When I went on my last big trip, I only took an SX-70 and iPhone as well, and I often wished that I had a tripod because the lens and film are on the slow side. Portraits lit by a window or a "shade tunnel," architectural interiors, and landscapes in dim-ish light all ask for a tripod when you're shooting with an SX-70.

Since then, I've been keeping an eye out for a travel tripod. The Leofoto LS-284C looks like it'd be good, or the Really Right Stuff TFC-14 Mk2 if I can't help it.
I had a Sirui T-025x and found it useful but only with iPhone and light cameras (like the Leica CL with a modest lens); it was hopeless with the Polaroid SX-70! I wanted something a bit more substantial but capable of handling the Polaroid and my Hasselblad 500CM and somewhat longer lenses.

So I pledged for the Peak Design Travel Tripod and sold the Sirui. The PD tripod arrived just Tuesday of this week—Just In Time! I've been testing it with the Polaroid and the iPhone: It is great, very stable, and folds to be very compact, yet is a very realistic full height tripod (about the same as my Manfrotto 190 series legs with Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 on them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
I'm booked for two walkabout excursions and a snorkeling adventure—and a behind the scenes ship tour AND an everglades fan boat tour—at the three ports of call (and beyond), so carry weight, bulk, and convenience are very important. I have internet available on ship, will turn off cellular service, so can do iMessage to any Apple devices and WhatsApp with anyone. The iPhone is extremely useful for nearly everything else I do anyway ... lists, expenses logging, photos, videos, socials, whatever. I would not be without it.

A camera at all beyond it is kind of an extravagance. The Polaroid SX-70 (actually the SLR670x by MiNT) seems perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
G with your photo experience you can get good photo with any tool .
It’s a non photographic trip, keep it simple: sx 70 + iphone and a few accessories sounds ok.
Enjoy the trip :-)
Thanks Robert!

I'll post a photo later of the final photo kit, all packed up as I will carry. The biggest decision now is just how much film to carry ... I think 32 to 40 exposures is just right, with about half and half color/B&W.

G

Going to Berlin and Poland for a two week photo trip
Old 01-16-2020   #32
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Going to Berlin and Poland for a two week photo trip

The Plan:

Two Fuji X Pro2's
16mm f 1.4 Fuji
35mm f 1.4 Fuji
five batteries
Two chargers

Retrospective 7 V2 Messenger bag

That's all folks!

How long will this fairly minimalist resolve last?
I dunno...we shall see.

OTOH, Godfrey, it looks like you have it figured out!

Bunch of Nikon and Fuji X digital stuff
introspection.zenfolio.com

Old 01-16-2020   #33
madNbad

After reading through the thread, my only suggestion is to pack some extra Polaroid film. Be ready for the “Can I get one of those?” Sounds like fun.

Old 01-16-2020   #34
maigo

Cruise!?!
Selfie-Stick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2020   #35
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

The big question mark is the travel tripod ... I brought a tabletop tripod last year and barely used it because in all those situations where I wanted a support, there was no way to use it effectively. A regular tripod would have been more useful, but will only be useful for a modest number of situations anyway. So it's a question mark still. I might take it out and put the tabletop back in the bag. Or it might not fit in the bag... LOL!
G
Gorillapod.

Re. "using it effectively" it doesn't have to be sitting on its own. I found I could brace it against columns and railings and trees and just hold it in position with my hand; it doesn't need to be free-standing on a horizontal surface all the time. The tripod I had was the tabletop Bogen model with small ballhead. I used that with my old Canon SD600 Elph locked at ISO 80 to great success on one trip to Poland.
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 01-16-2020   #36
Smaug

Thinking about my last cruise, I don't think I'd use anything longer than 35 mm. I think I'd bring my trusty Olympus mju and my LG G6 phone for when the mju isn't wide or waterproof enough. (which is submersible and has a 28 and a rectilinear ultra wide lens)

I'd probably bring a pack of good ol' Kodak Gold 200 film. (it'll be sunny, most of the time)
My Cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GS and CC, Rollei 35, Nikon N90s, FG (2), FE2, and L35AF3, Minolta Freedom II, Olympus OM1N, OM10, Stylus (mju) and OM-D E-M10 III

Old 01-16-2020   #37
JeffS7444

Fujifilm hybrid SQ Instax camera, maybe? Like the SX70, it has TTL viewing. Unlike the SX70, flash and close focusing are built in, and there are no worries that you’ve given away your best / only photos.

Old 01-16-2020   #38
raid
Dad Photographer

Your i-Phone 8 Plus is your spare tire, just in case your quirky camera does not work. keep it challenging, and pick a camera that is "non-standard". Have fun.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-16-2020   #39
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
Cruise!?!
Selfie-Stick!
LOL! Plenty of living selfie sticks to help with that function on the cruise...
And it gives you an opportunity to meet someone new as well.

G

Old 01-16-2020   #40
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
Thinking about my last cruise, I don't think I'd use anything longer than 35 mm. ...
ON last year's cruise, I found myself using 75mm and 150mm focal length settings on the Light L16 quite a lot, and I missed having an ultra wide (20mm or wider eqFOV).

Most of my photos floated around the 35 to 50mm settings, for sure.

G