Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Sanko Shoji Pen
Old 01-12-2020   #1
K14

Sanko Shoji Pen

Picked up a first edition pen awhile back. Has an opaque lens cover, probably original. Light seals were rotting and put some news ones in. I loaded up some Fuji 100 and giving it a whirl.

Cheers,
Gary

Old 01-12-2020   #2
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Neat. Goes click?

Old 01-12-2020   #3
K14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Neat. Goes click?
Oh yeah! This one is has a silent wind to the next frame compared to my Pen S which has a clicking sound to the next frame. We'll have some pics soon.

Old 01-12-2020   #4
zuiko85

Yep, had to look for several years before I came across one. Had it about 10 years now. My serial number is about 12K units earlier than yours, 128xxx. Yours looks really clean though, mine came with the grey covering peeling badly so I replaced it with an Aki-Asahi cover in dusty red pebble grain.
Yoshihisa Maitani's design is just about perfect in my opinion.

Old 01-12-2020   #5
agentlossing

I didn't know that Pen was a 28mm, what a cool looking "retro-futuristic" styling, matched with pure function, no frills.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Old 01-12-2020   #6
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentlossing View Post
I didn't know that Pen was a 28mm, what a cool looking "retro-futuristic" styling, matched with pure function, no frills.

Of course, on 35mm half frame 28mm has about the same angle of view as 40mm on a full frame camera.

Old 01-13-2020   #7
K14

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentlossing View Post
what a cool looking "retro-futuristic" styling, matched with pure function, no frills.
You nailed it! These pure function Pens have all the manual settings. The click stop focus is a great feature. Really the only camera that put imagination into taking pictures. I can't say that for any of my other cameras.

Old 01-13-2020   #8
agentlossing

Duh! That slipped my mind completely.

Old 01-13-2020   #9
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by K14 View Post
You nailed it! These pure function Pens have all the manual settings. The click stop focus is a great feature. Really the only camera that put imagination into taking pictures. I can't say that for any of my other cameras.

I absolutely love the click-stop detents on the focus ring. My Pen D3 is from the other end of the evolutionary spectrum, but the design is very similar in most respects. I really need to load it up and use it again - it's been a while.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/