Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Jim Lager - Leica Historian

Jim Lager - Leica Historian Jim Lager is widely considered the best Leica historian ever, having authored arguably the best selection of Leica history books ever written. RFF is very fortunate to have access to his amazing Leica knowledge.

Grey Wartime Leica IIIC
Old 12-09-2017   #1
Jean

Grey Wartime Leica IIIC

Hi,

A friend of mine is very interested in buying a grey Leica IIIc. Serial number is 388880. No military markings, no curtains "K" stamped. Lens is Summitar.
I didn't see the camera, anyway I have not the knowledge to estimate if genuine or not. S/N matches with a grey camera ? Any help would be appreciated. Price is hight.
Thanks

Old 12-09-2017   #2
mynikonf2
OEM

Very interesting serial #, it falls within the range of wartime IIIc's that were manufactured between 1941 - 1942. During this time is when Leica turned to the use of the grey paint due to wartime shortages of chrome. Sounds like the camera you're describing is a IIIc "stepper" with grey paint. I would not expect it to be worth more than $1000 - $1200 in the real world (depending on condition).

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 12-09-2017   #3
Erik van Straten

iiiiiiiiii