Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Old 11-11-2017   #121
Nokton48

I am contemplating fabricating a couple of Plaubel Makina tripod adapters. I will build them from light aluminum. One of my cameras has a 3/8 tripod sockets, the other has 1/4

This is the cardboard prototype. I would then attach Manfrotto hex plates to fit my many tripods.

Cardboard prototype Makina tripod adapter by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 11-18-2017   #122
Nokton48

The Makina is really a reportage camera, made to be used hand held. But there are times that I would like to attach mine is a smallish tripod. I have a Star-D tripod which is a Leitz Tiltall copy, I think I will try using that. My new solution for attaching the camera, is the Leitz Ball Head. This should fit horizontally on the camera, not blocking the roll back advance knob (Which is really a major issue). If it does I can remove some material with my metal grinder. Verticals are no problem; there is a tripod socket also on that side of the camera, any tripod will fit. Also my Makina III body now has 1/4 to 3/8 tripod inserts installed, so now it will attach to 3/8" tripod screws.

Don't need to use a tripod much with these cameras but I'm hoping this will work well. This solution cost me $25.

Leitz Ball Head for Plaubel Makina by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 11-18-2017   #123
Nokton48

Horizonal Format tripod Makina III issue resolved. Very solid setup. This will work great and the tripod weighs very little. I can easily reach the film back advance knob with plenty of room for my fingers. This is the lightest weight tripod I have in my studio. This will get some use believe me. And now I am thinking I want a Leitz Tabletop tripod to use with the Makina on location. That can go folded up in a Domke bag!

Leitz Ball Head Plaubel Makina IIIR Star D tripod by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 12-29-2017   #124
Nokton48

Olden Makina IIIR price list. I will take one of each, please

Makina IIIR Olden Camera by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 01-06-2018   #125
Nokton48

Plaubel Makina III Interior. Velvet Ice Cream Factory Museum. HP5+ F2.9 1/25th sec handheld Mic-X dev The 100mm F2.9 lens is becoming my favorite Makina glass.

Makina III Interior F2.9 HP5+ Mic-X by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 01-06-2018   #126
Nokton48

One of Plaubel Makina III's in beautiful natural sunlight. Hasselblad 100mm Planar

More Agfa 70mm Aviphot 200 processed in Rollei Supergrain developer. Similar in most respects to 70mm Rollei 400s available fresh from Germany

70mm Agfa Aviphot 200 Rollei Supergrain by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 01-06-2018   #127
Nokton48

Over Christmas three more unopened boxes of 6.5x9cm FOTON FF arrived from Bulgaria. This film was made in Poland. You can never have enough film and film holders

Foton FF 6.5x9cm 2nd Shipment by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 01-28-2018   #128
Nokton48

Yesterday my Wife and I went to the local Art Museum. We had a nice tour and I shot two rolls of Delta 3200 120 film in my Makina III. I shot at 1/50 and 1/30 at F2.9, so it will be interesting to see what I will get. I think I will develop in Ilford DDX. I rated the film at EI 800. I tried this once before with my Plaubel Makiflex, and it worked well.

Such high speed films were not around in the era of Plaubel Makinas.

Old 01-28-2018   #129
Nokton48

I have met (on the internet) Geoff Berliner, who lives in NYC, and he has SIX Plaubel Makiflexes Here has adapted an Arca Swiss viewfinder to the Makiflex. Very Cool.

Geoff Makiflex Arca Swiss Finder 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Geoff Makiflex Arca Swiss 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 01-31-2018   #130
Nokton48

Penumbra Foundation by Nokton48, on Flickr

Penumbra_Foundation 3_016 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Penumbra_Foundation 4_212 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Penumbra_Foundation 2_161 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Geoff Berliner is quite an interesting Guy. He has hundreds of cameras, including many early Plaubel Makinas and other Plaubels as well. And about 1500 or so lenses. I thought I had a few! I think we are becoming good friends! Here are some YouTubes on Geoff.

He has a repair man in his building full time and he has given him one of his Makiflexes (not working) to learn on. I am sending him one of my Makiflexes that needs adjustments and CLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0OsjSjjwJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSFsElOBY-s

Old 02-01-2018   #131
Nokton48

Geoff Berliner at Yankee Stadium, with his Big Bertha. How cool is that!

Geoff Big Bertha by Nokton48, on Flickr

Geoff Big Bertha 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 02-18-2018   #132
Nokton48

Makina II by Nokton48, on Flickr

I think the black Makina II cameras are beautiful. I would like to have one.

Old 02-28-2018   #133
Nokton48

My Makina IIIR is coming back tomorrow from Wizcam. He's the Guy in NYC who advertises fixing Makinas on Ebay. This is my second camera going to him. He does fabulous work and has a stockpile of old Makina parts!

This camera I bought to get the rare lens, the 100mm F4.2 Anticomar. I sent that along as well. It will be interesting to see what he does with this one.

Old 03-03-2018   #134
Nokton48

Two Makinas My IIIR and III CLAed by Nokton48, on Flickr

My somewhat corroded Makina IIIR is now back from Wizcam in NYC and has been through a complete mechanical CLA. I bought this body to get the lens; the rare F4.2 100mm Anticomar. Wizcam did a fantastic job. All I need to do now is apply some black camera body dye I bought from Cameratools, to the bellows and leather parts, and buff them up bright and shiny. I did this with my first body ( a III) and it looks like new to the casual eye. This IIIR has been rode hard, but works like new and soon will look like it too.

I'll be using these cameras extensively this spring. They are great for folding up and carrying around, although a bit heavy. I can deal with that. And they are built with Leica-like build quality!

Old 03-31-2018   #135
Nokton48

Leitz Tabletop Legs by Nokton48, on Flickr

Just got these Leitz tabletop legs, to use with my Makina III's, and Leitz ballhead. Throw it in my Domke bag, and use it when I don't want to carry a tripod, or not allowed.

Old 04-02-2018   #136
roscoetuff

If you don't mind an interruption in the monologue, wonder whether you've ever run with one of the other Makina's? Like the 67 ofr 670 before you came to these particular animals? Just curious.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 04-02-2018   #137
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
If you don't mind an interruption in the monologue, wonder whether you've ever run with one of the other Makina's? Like the 67 ofr 670 before you came to these particular animals? Just curious.
That's actually a very good question! Monologue, LOL. Personally I'm surprised there isn't more interest here in old Makinas, especially from the Leica Guys. I do know a couple of individuals that are rather fanatical about old Makinas.

I've never been too excited by the newer modern Makinas, these do the job and Yes they do evoke a sort of "steampunk" mentality that I find very appealing. Repurposing old stuff for modern uses. The newer modern ones are not the same camera at all in my eyes. Also being totally mechanical they will likely be running a very much longer time than the expensive newer electronic ones. I sure see a lot of them on Ebay.

I guess I'm just an old-school type of Guy. It's like the difference between a Leica R4 and a IIF. I'd prefer the IIF. I agree with the "camera is just a box" line of reasoning, but why not use "The Rolls Royce of Photography"? (According to old Plaubel literature).

Also I can remember when these cameras sold for really big money. Now they have become much more affordable.

Old 09-16-2018   #138
carbo73

Hi,
I've just bought a chrome Makina IIS (I think so, but maybe is a II, only) and it looks like the rangefinder is misaligned, both vertically and horizontally. Even the half-translucid second image is way to the left, not centered at all. Anyone know if it is a difficult adjust to do oneself, or has some pdf manual about it?

Many thanks in advance.

Kodak No.4 F Cartridge / Kodak No.2 Folding Brownie / Kodak No.3 & No.3A Folding Pocket / Goerz ANGO / Kodak VPK / Brownie Nr.2 / KW Patent Etui / Leica II / Leica IIIb / Rolleiflex Old Standard / Contax II / VP Exakta / Kine Exakta / FED1 / Contax S / Exakta VX / Moskva 4 / Zenit-S / FED2 / Minolta Autocord /Exakta VX IIa / Nikon F

Old 09-25-2018   #139
Nokton48

Vintage Plaubel Makina by Nokton48, on Flickr

Vintage Makina from the Internet.

Old 09-25-2018   #140
Nokton48

Laura sheet 2 by Brass Fly, on Flickr\

1935 era 6.5x9 Plaubel Makina, 6.5x9cm Ilford HP5+ sheet film

From the internet. Very Nice!

Old 09-25-2018   #141
Nokton48

And one more...……. Very cool!

Laura sheet 1 by Brass Fly, on Flickr

Old 10-01-2018   #142
Nokton48

J Lane 6.5cmx9cm Dry Plates by Nokton48, on Flickr

An early Birthday gift to myself. Thirty 6.5x9cm J. Lane Hand-Coated Silver Gelatin glass plates. I have over sixty (60) Plaubel Makina film holders that I use with my Makinas and Makiflexes. Some of these holders will be loaded with these J. Lane glass plates. Bright sun exposure should be about 1/125th at F2, with my new Super Cinephor lens (rating plate at EI 2). Or could go to 1/60 at F2 for denser exposure (about EI 1). This will be fun.

Or 1/50 at F2.9 in Plaubel Makinas in bright sun

Old 10-02-2018   #143
Nokton48

New Makina Tripod Adapter by Nokton48, on Flickr

After many years of searching, I have finally found one of these at a decent price.

The Makina Tripod Adapter. Now on it's way to me.

I've thought about making one of these, but gave up on the idea.

Old 10-03-2018   #144
Kai-san
Filmwaster

These cameras look super nice, and I wouldn't mind having one myself. But since I'm wearing glasses I fear that using the rangefinder on these would be a nuisance. Is there any chance of making a diopter for these? If the viewfinder eyepiece is possible to unscrew I might get an optician to put in a -4 lens. Any experience or thoughts about this?

Old 10-04-2018   #145
Nokton48

Hey Kai,

I wear fairly thick eyeglasses, and I've never considered using diopters with the Makinas. But I'll wager it's do-able in some manner.

With these cameras, your eye is somewhat pulled away from the rangefinder eyepiece, due to the thickness of the film backs. This effect is lessened with the use of the cut film backs. Then you can get your eye fully up to the rangefinder eyepiece. The optical viewfinder works great just as it is and is actually incredibly precise to use for framing.

The rangefinder has NEVER bothered me a bit. You get used to it, along with the cameras' other quirky aspects. I'd try it for a while and then decide if you want to mess with diopters. I have never found that to be an issue at all for me.

Old 10-04-2018   #146
Kai-san
Filmwaster

Thanks Dan,

that is very useful info. If the optical viewfinder is accurate I can just use the rangefinder to focus, that should not be a problem even with glasses. I've seen a very nice model III, but I'm expecting a rather large bill this month, so I'd better cool down a bit.

Old 10-15-2018   #147
rknewcomb

Dan,
I was the first bidder on that Makina tripod adapter. When the second bid appeared I thought it was probably you. I gave up rather then get in a bidding war with you. I'm such a wuss.
Robert

After many years of searching, I have finally found one of these at a decent price.

The Makina Tripod Adapter. Now on it's way to me.

I've thought about making one of these, but gave up on the idea.[/quote]

Old 10-16-2018   #148
Nokton48

Robert,
I also had a feeling that the first bid might have been you. Tell you what, if this doesn't work out for my intended uses, I'll sell it to you if you want. Give me a bit of time to try it out. It has to fit all my Bogen tripods and that -might- be an issue. I'll let you know what I decide.

-Dan

Old 10-16-2018   #149
rknewcomb

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Robert,
I also had a feeling that the first bid might have been you. Tell you what, if this doesn't work out for my intended uses, I'll sell it to you if you want. Give me a bit of time to try it out. It has to fit all my Bogen tripods and that -might- be an issue. I'll let you know what I decide.

-Dan
"

Thanks, I would very much appreciate that.
Robert

Old 11-01-2018   #150
Nokton48

Wooden 120 film spools by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have just decided I will no longer attempt to load modern plastic 120 spools into Plaubel Makina film backs. I shot a rather important roll a couple of weeks ago, using a plastic spool I wrapped with duct tape. Well when I opened the back to change film, it did not load evenly onto the spool, and the roll is fogged! Luckily I was able to switch backs and reshoot my important photos but I am not going through this again!

I bought another dozen wooden spools for the take up side in these backs, which will solve that problem! Onward and upward! :smile:

I am opening and re-loading all of my Plaubel backs with wooden take up spools as of now.

Film advance with these old wooden spools is smooth as butter. Very nice!

Old 11-02-2018   #151
Nokton48

New Showcase for Plaubel System by Nokton48, on Flickr

We have new floor to ceiling shelving in the office area of my home, so here is my Plaubel collection, ready for use. Nicely organized behind glass doors to keep it dust free. This keeps me thinking about taking it out and using it! That is up ahead, in a very big way. �� This is not all of it (no way) just the things I want to use all the time. The rest is in my studio in the basement.

Old 11-03-2018   #152
Nokton48

6x9cm Plaubel Film Magazines All Loaded by Nokton48, on Flickr

Seven of my Plaubel film backs fully loaded each with a different film. Wooden take up spools also installed. This is what is great about interchangeable film mags. Somewhere around here I have one more, loaded with Foma 200. Gotta find it. HP5, FP4, Foma Retro 320, Panatomic-X, Acros, Verichrome Pan, and Delta 3200.

Old 11-03-2018   #153
Fjäll

Is that 100mm f/2.9 for medium format film or 4x5?

Old 11-03-2018   #154
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjäll View Post
Is that 100mm f/2.9 for medium format film or 4x5?
Old Makinas are 6.5x9cm. I doubt it would work for 4x5 but who knows?

Old 11-07-2018   #155
Nokton48

73mm Plaubel Orthar Set New Old Stock 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

73mm Plaubel Orthar Set New Old Stock 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

73mm Plaubel Orthar Set New Old Stock 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

[email protected]@K what I just bought on German Ebay, New Old Stock. Actually I just want the wide angle viewfinder, but look at the lens. Never used I think. Original correct box

Merry Christmas to ME

Since this is a F6.8 lens, I suspect this is a Dagor formula lens. Which is is very good thing! Like a Schneider Angulon. I have another of these 73mm lenses, in rather rougher shape. But with the Makina Optical Wide Angle FInder, I will be using this camera in more upcoming situations.

Old 11-11-2018   #156
Nokton48

DSC01463 (3) by Nokton48, on Flickr

Plaubel USA literature published in 1939. The Rolls Royce of Cameras. I totally agree!

Old 01-21-2019   #157
Nokton48

My New Plaubel Makina II Outfit by Nokton48, on Flickr

Alex in Moscow helped me find this one. A beautiful Makina II oufit for 200 Euros. On it's way to me from Germany.

I am pleased. So now I have a II, III, and IIIR.

Old 01-21-2019   #158
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbo73 View Post
Hi,
I've just bought a chrome Makina IIS (I think so, but maybe is a II, only) and it looks like the rangefinder is misaligned, both vertically and horizontally. Even the half-translucid second image is way to the left, not centered at all. Anyone know if it is a difficult adjust to do oneself, or has some pdf manual about it?

Many thanks in advance.

Carbo73,
Alex in Moscow completely stripped and cleaned completely his Makina II.
Looking at his pictures it seems rather straightfoward, if you are handy.

See his threads with digipix here:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...-act-i.163624/

Alex test pix Makina II:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117820...7705651475015/

Old 01-21-2019   #159
Nokton48

Carbo73,

Here is where Alex goes into the Makina II rangefinder. He replaced badly scratched mirror

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...act-ii.164559/

Old 01-25-2019   #160
Nokton48

Makina II has arrived by Nokton48, on Flickr

My Makina II has arrived here from Germany! Only two days time by Fedex!

My friend Alex in Moscow helped me find this one the other day. Lovely cosmetic condition but needs a CLA. Considering it was made in the 1930s, I am not at all surprised!

It is going out this morning to Mr. Binder in New York City. He is an early Makina repair expert, and has a very large collection of Makina parts!