Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Polaroid & Fuji Instax

Polaroid & Fuji Instax All things Polaroid and Fuji Instax

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-16-2020   #41
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
I believe they tried very hard, but that they have also been less than forthcoming on numerous occasions. Some backers have received assurances that their rewards will be shipped ‘next week’ and then not receive anything for over a month or more.

Well, at least not as bad as “The Box is Back” project. I had no interest in backing that one but have followed finally out of morbid curiosity.

I’d swore off backing any KS campaign but then Ethan Moses came along with a offer of software files for 3D printing of a 35mm panoramic camera. For ONE whole USD! That’s right, $1.
So... I backed it. No idea what to do with the files, and really no intention of ever actually making this camera. But come on, one dollar? Absolutely no way to go wrong on that one.
I guess my expectations are different from some. I don't see these things are orders to a store, I don't really need for a project team to send me updates every few days, or hold them to a strict timeline. I see these crowd-funded projects as ideas that some person would like to see happen and weigh in with a pledge if I think the idea has merit. Like with science experiments, I don't expect them all to succeed.

I never put money on a Kickstarter (or IndieGoGo, or other) project with the notion that it is anything other than a high-risk bet in a casino. I do it only with money I'm willing to lose. That way I'm never disappointed when things go sour, and I celebrate all the ones that succeed.

I have money into about seven projects right now. A couple of them have been running for about two years, but the person(s) running them are responsive and are posting updates, things do seem to be moving along if only very slowly. They're pretty cool projects, if they succeed, so I remain hopeful that they succeed with the products they intend. A couple have run even longer than that and are at the point where I think they're dead, but they're still listed and still occasionally send an update (like Ferrania film).

Such it is. The Jollylook camera project looks amusing. I'll decide whether to go in on it within a day.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #42
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I purchased Polaroid Land camera used kit and new FP100C from BH, not so long time ago. I took three exposures and sold it with the rest in camera and spare FP100C packs. With profit .
I still have my Land 250 and about 20 packs of film for it. I am waiting for a special occasion to use this last film.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #43
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
I like instax film: high contrast but not sharp. Did that really happen? kind of thing... A good match for memory. The cameras give you what it wants, not what you want. Straight horizons: forget about it... It is what it is. Better not to load it into your film holder to see if everything is set!
The Instax film is quite good. Problem is that most of the cameras are clumsy and difficult to get a sharp photo with.

This one is with the Instant Magny 35 fitted to my Leica M4-2, on Instax SQ film:


Leica M4-2 + Instant Magny 35 + Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Special

It's quite sharp and the framing is very faithful to what I imagined when I framed and focused.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #44
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Another, rather severely underexposed, processed to a nice portrait after scanning:


G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #45
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,565
Lovely looking images, but such an attachment looks bulky. Are you OK with it?
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #46
james.liam
Registered User
 
james.liam is offline
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nieuw Amsterdam
Posts: 423
The fickleness of Fujifilm really gets to me. Despite the rising interest in analog photography in both established and new photographers, they routinely kill emulsions with a typically Japanese polite news release and indifferently carry on. How many great cameras out there will sadly become inert shelf decorations for homes and restaurants now? The resurrection of Acros was a shock but then, it’s made for them by Ilford.

I wonder if Polaroid’s new proprietors might have a go with pack films.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #47
robert blu
quiet photographer
 
robert blu's Avatar
 
robert blu is online now
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 71
Posts: 6,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I still have my Land 250 and about 20 packs of film for it. I am waiting for a special occasion to use this last film.
This is a dangerous situation Raid, do not ask me how do I know!!!

Waiting for the special occasion has the risk that a "special enough" occasion doesn't arrive, meantime the film gets old and when you decide to use it maybe it doesn't work anymore!!!

I have still a few packsfilm...and I'm waiting for that occasion ...I still have some old original Polaroid film (the real Polaroid!!!)...we should use them...
NOW !!!

I know easy to say not easy to do !!! Easier to suggest something to a friend than to do it LOL

Fuji FP3000B photo taken with the cardboard Polaroid pinhole camera

__________________
Remember: today is the Day !
from Ruth Bernhard recipe for a long and happy life

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #48
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,565
Maybe I should consider bringing with me the Land 250 and the M9 only. It would force me to use the film.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #49
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.
 
Pál_K's Avatar
 
Pál_K is offline
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
The fickleness of Fujifilm really gets to me. Despite the rising interest in analog photography in both established and new photographers, they routinely kill emulsions with a typically Japanese polite news release and indifferently carry on. How many great cameras out there will sadly become inert shelf decorations for homes and restaurants now? The resurrection of Acros was a shock but then, it’s made for them by Ilford.

I wonder if Polaroid’s new proprietors might have a go with pack films.

I think Impossible/Polaroid wouldn't be able to do it - I give them enormous credit for reviving film for 600 and SX-70 cameras and trying to get Spectra to work. But the packaging complexities of pack film I think would be beyond anyone's capabilities other than Kodak or Fuji.

Unfortunately, Fuji stopped production and scrapped the machinery and THEN told us all the product was discontinued. Maybe it wasn't profitable for them at $8/pack, but supply and demand showed people would buy it at much higher prices.
__________________
"Great photography is about the visual effect upon the viewer, not sharpness." - Stephen Gandy, Cameraquest
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #50
robert blu
quiet photographer
 
robert blu's Avatar
 
robert blu is online now
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 71
Posts: 6,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Maybe I should consider bringing with me the Land 250 and the M9 only. It would force me to use the film.
The problem is not your camera but the films. If you fly you must keep them in your hand luggage and they take up a lot of space!

A few years ago when my wife and I flew to Ischia (beautiful island in south Italy) I had decided to shoot only Polaroid, the land camera with pack film and the 600 with the Impossible films.

I had a trolley almost full with 8 pack films and 8 Impossible! Plus of course the Land Camera and a Polaroid !!
__________________
Remember: today is the Day !
from Ruth Bernhard recipe for a long and happy life

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #51
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,565
How sensitive to X-ray is peel film?
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #52
Mackinaw
Think Different
 
Mackinaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: One hour south of the Mackinaw Bridge
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
I think Impossible/Polaroid wouldn't be able to do it - I give them enormous credit for reviving film for 600 and SX-70 cameras and trying to get Spectra to work. But the packaging complexities of pack film I think would be beyond anyone's capabilities other than Kodak or Fuji......
Correct. Before IP became Polaroid Originals, they publicly said they couldn't make peel-apart instant film.

Jim B.
__________________
My fancy-schmancy gallery:
http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #53
zuiko85
Registered User
 
zuiko85 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I guess my expectations are different from some. I don't see these things are orders to a store, I don't really need for a project team to send me updates every few days, or hold them to a strict timeline. I see these crowd-funded projects as ideas that some person would like to see happen and weigh in with a pledge if I think the idea has merit. Like with science experiments, I don't expect them all to succeed.

I never put money on a Kickstarter (or IndieGoGo, or other) project with the notion that it is anything other than a high-risk bet in a casino. I do it only with money I'm willing to lose. That way I'm never disappointed when things go sour, and I celebrate all the ones that succeed.

I have money into about seven projects right now. A couple of them have been running for about two years, but the person(s) running them are responsive and are posting updates, things do seem to be moving along if only very slowly. They're pretty cool projects, if they succeed, so I remain hopeful that they succeed with the products they intend. A couple have run even longer than that and are at the point where I think they're dead, but they're still listed and still occasionally send an update (like Ferrania film).

Such it is. The Jollylook camera project looks amusing. I'll decide whether to go in on it within a day.

G
No argument there Godfrey. When I first backed a project on KS 5 years ago I foolishly believed that Kickstarter's 'Terms of Service' that laid out what creators were 'required' to do held some kind of real meaning. Now of course I know that KS creators are free to do anything they please, with zero consequences if they violate those terms.
I would like to see Kickstarter legally forced to spell out plainly, in bold type, to never back a project unless you are prepared to walk away from what ever amount you put down. And they should drop any mention of what creators are 'required' to do since said requirement has no enforceable meaning.
In other words, if I were a bald faced scam artist then crowdfunding would be a sweet, low to zero risk way to swindle money.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #54
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Lovely looking images, but such an attachment looks bulky. Are you OK with it?
It's quite clumsy to use, for sure. And indeed, it would have been better to buy the version with the Nikon FM/FE compatible back rather than the Leica M compatible back ... more versatile, easier to focus, and better imaging due to the optics of the magnification section. That's why I'm building my own Instax SQ camera, based on the Instax Magny 35 film processing unit and a Mamiya Press 23 lens.



G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #55
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,565
Good for you, Godfrey.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #56
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
The fickleness of Fujifilm really gets to me. Despite the rising interest in analog photography in both established and new photographers, they routinely kill emulsions with a typically Japanese polite news release and indifferently carry on. How many great cameras out there will sadly become inert shelf decorations for homes and restaurants now? The resurrection of Acros was a shock but then, it’s made for them by Ilford.

I wonder if Polaroid’s new proprietors might have a go with pack films.
The packaging of multiple frames of pack film is definitely beyond what a small outfit like Impossible Project or any other startup can handle ... the custom machinery required is simply too laborious and expensive to develop even for the niche market that would be delighted to buy it at a high price.

However, there is an effort underway to build a reduced version of pack film, a version with just one frame per pack. It's called "One Instant" and is indeed a Kickstarter that is a half year behind schedule on delivery of product.

Yes, I have a pledge on that one too. I enjoy the hopeless and impossible causes, you see. And if it seems a fairly heedless way to fritter away money, well, I don't do a lot of other things that are basically just ways to fritter away money and keep yourself amused. So I'm okay with it.

A One Instant pack film basic pledge nets six three-packs of film at the breathtaking price of $18 per exposure. What I've seen from their updates looks quite entertaining and so, presuming that they achieve shipping product soon, I intend to have some fun making a one-time project out of shooting my last 18 exposures of pack type instant film. I've sourced another Polaroid pack film camera to do this since I sold my last pack film camera a couple of years before this project surfaced. (And I still have a compatible pack film back for my Hasselblad ... but I just can't see using these precious frames in that...)

Pack film is dead, dead, dead unless Fuji decided to open up that production again, other than weirdo little things like this.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #57
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
No argument there Godfrey. When I first backed a project on KS 5 years ago I foolishly believed that Kickstarter's 'Terms of Service' that laid out what creators were 'required' to do held some kind of real meaning. Now of course I know that KS creators are free to anything they please, with zero consequences if they violate those terms.
I would like to see Kickstarter legally forced to spell out plainly, in bold type, to never back a project unless you are prepared to walk away from what ever amount you put down. And they should drop any mention of what creators are 'required' to do since said requirement has no enforceable meaning.
In other words, if I were a bald faced scam artist then crowdfunding would be a sweet, low to zero risk way to swindle money.
Kickstarter does warn folks that a pledge to a project should not to be considered ordering a product in a store. The whole purpose of this kind of crowdfunding is to allow innovators to try to do something that needs more money than they can put together on their own. Innovation and new products are always risky things.

I just don't really see the point of taking such a negative view on it. Of course people can concoct scams with just about anything, it's up to pledges to not allow themselves to be deceived. MOST of the folks I've met who are involved in crowdfunded projects are good, honest, young people who want to try to make something. Many are simply young and inexperienced at it, and make awful mistakes (the biggest of which is woefully underestimating what it really takes to make an idea in a sketch into an actual quality product). I have been guilty of that myself in my career, long since ended now, so I have a great deal of compassion for young people who are trying to innovate and making a mess of things.

I've had many good KS projects deliver good products, and I've met and spent time discussing the projects with a number of the makers along the way/over the years. Some have become good friends, even when they screwed up their first project something awful and cost me a small fortune. All who went back to do a second project after a disaster did a MUCH better job.

Participating in KS projects is one way I keep my fingers in 'the game' from which I'm now thoroughly retired. I find it fun and I can afford to play a few small, risky games. AS I said, I don't do much other heedless frittering away my money (like of my friends do...) so I just add it up as entertainment costs. ;-)

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #58
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.hayek View Post
Kickstarter is the Millenial version of Bernie Madoff. Better off burning your cash in a bonfire. At least you get some heat from it.
I got my Kickstarter backed Lomo Metropolis film no issue.

Then again I backed the Reflex 35mm camera. That looks gone, even though they are still trying to plug away at it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020   #59
farlymac
PF McFarland
 
farlymac's Avatar
 
farlymac is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 6,408
To me, Instax is somewhat like using the SX-70 back when they were new, which is what got me to reinvest in a 35mm SLR back in '79. I even gave the SX-70 away as there was no need for it as far as I was concerned, so I can't see a reason to buy into what Fuji is offering now.


PF
__________________
Waiting for the light
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2020   #60
zuiko85
Registered User
 
zuiko85 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I got my Kickstarter backed Lomo Metropolis film no issue.

Then again I backed the Reflex 35mm camera. That looks gone, even though they are still trying to plug away at it.
If Lomography ran a KS campaign for something I was interested in I would feel safe backing it. When a established company like them use KS they are going to make the product and are using crowdfunding only to gage what the market is. No use guessing they can sell 5K units and after making that run find out the market was only good for 2K units. This way they know exactly how many they need to make plus they get the money up front.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020   #61
robert blu
quiet photographer
 
robert blu's Avatar
 
robert blu is online now
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 71
Posts: 6,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The packaging of multiple frames of pack film is definitely beyond what a small outfit like Impossible Project or any other startup can handle ... the custom machinery required is simply too laborious and expensive to develop even for the niche market that would be delighted to buy it at a high price.

However, there is an effort underway to build a reduced version of pack film, a version with just one frame per pack. It's called "One Instant" and is indeed a Kickstarter that is a half year behind schedule on delivery of product.

Yes, I have a pledge on that one too. I enjoy the hopeless and impossible causes, you see. And if it seems a fairly heedless way to fritter away money, well, I don't do a lot of other things that are basically just ways to fritter away money and keep yourself amused. So I'm okay with it.

A One Instant pack film basic pledge nets six three-packs of film at the breathtaking price of $18 per exposure. What I've seen from their updates looks quite entertaining and so, presuming that they achieve shipping product soon, I intend to have some fun making a one-time project out of shooting my last 18 exposures of pack type instant film. I've sourced another Polaroid pack film camera to do this since I sold my last pack film camera a couple of years before this project surfaced. (And I still have a compatible pack film back for my Hasselblad ... but I just can't see using these precious frames in that...)

Pack film is dead, dead, dead unless Fuji decided to open up that production again, other than weirdo little things like this.

G
I received yesterday my One Instant pack films from Superense. I'll use them as a special "homage" to that beautiful adventure which was made possible by Edwin H. Land a visionary genius.

Yes, they are expensive but it's the last chance we have to experiment with the land cameras! And it is once in a while !

Now I have to think about a special mini project to be completed with 18 shots, some of which will be probably not techincally perfect...
__________________
Remember: today is the Day !
from Ruth Bernhard recipe for a long and happy life

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020   #62
valdas
Registered User
 
valdas's Avatar
 
valdas is online now
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,606
I still have around 30 packs of FP100 and maybe 10 pack of FP3000. And when it's gone it's gone. I will put my pack film camera on the shelf (it is converted Polaroid Pathfinder). Or I will use for some experiments. I recently used Polaroid SX-70 film in my Pathfinder - it was really a cumbersome process, but it worked. I removed one film sheet of SX film from the pack (in the changing bag, of course) and put it in the empty pack film cartridge then put the cartridge in the Pathfinder, made a shot, removed the film sheet from the cartridge, put it back into SX 70 cartridge and inserted the cartridge into my old Step One camera. Step One ejects the first sheet (assuming it is a protective darkslide), it gets developed and voila - SX-70 shot with Polaroid pack film camera
__________________
My Flickr
________
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020   #63
taemo
Registered User
 
taemo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,127
I'm fairly happy with Instax in general, wish that they made a slower version though (100 or 200) but I understand why they went with 800.

I have the RF70 that I shoot Instax Wide on and get great result. My only qualm is that instax cant handle extreme highlights..it basically turns black.
But the film IMO has a nice color palette.

We are also making an Instax Mini photo album of our daughter and it is great for that purpose.
I wish they made an Instax Wide printer, I would buy one in a heart beat.

Slightly off-topic but to me, there is a different shooting and output experience using an instant camera vs using the instant printer. I regret selling our Instant mini camera and looking to buy another one.

Some instant wide shots
img780 by earl dieta, on Flickr

img783 by earl dieta, on Flickr

img793 by earl dieta, on Flickr

instax-011 by earl dieta, on Flickr
__________________
earldieta.com - flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020   #64
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.
 
Pál_K's Avatar
 
Pál_K is offline
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
...
instax-011 by earl dieta, on Flickr
I really like that one. It's timeless.
__________________
"Great photography is about the visual effect upon the viewer, not sharpness." - Stephen Gandy, Cameraquest
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2020   #65
eli griggs
Registered User
 
eli griggs's Avatar
 
eli griggs is offline
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 543
I watched a youtube video recently that showed what looks to be Instax film, placed on shot at a throw, into a medium format (6x7cm) camera, which was exposed as if it was a cut film or paper negative, removed and dropped into an Instax camera which processed it.

That may well be the way to go, and if I can find an affordable Hasselblad sheet film back and frames, I would like to give it a try, but the other expense of buying an Instax camera, just to roll the dice on a long shot makes me hesitant.

I still have a few good packs of Polaroid 100 b&W film, iso 100, and an unopened box of Polaroid 56 (sepia) and 18 sheets or so of Type 55 that I could just shoot up just to beat time from turning these cold stored film's pods to dust, but until I line up several shots/locations to go after or in the case of the T-55, a pinhole board for my beat up Anniversary Speed Graphic, I am going to continue to be cautious about what I do with the 4x5" film.

I did take my Polaroid 100 out on a very cold day a week or two ago, to a location I've had to visit three times in the last two month, to get the shots I wanted, in the best light possible and I burned up almost half a pack of the Polarpan 100, before I realized the battery had bitten the dirt, leaving me diddly in the way of photographs, which, if I like a shot good enough to sign, mat, and frame, I will shot a few for sales, to people who buy my paintings, woodcuts, photos, etc.
I'll rig-up a trip-AAA pack and install it tomorrow, as I plan another outing.

I'm like a lot of us, and have hope some day we will have Polaroid/Fuji type films to shoot, but as far as my SX-70 Alpha, well, I have that up for trade in the 'Want to trade' section, as I am out of patience with the products we've seen to date.

If Instax, or some third party made backs for the Hasselblads, and other SLR medium format analog cameras we love, that sure would, IMO, boost their sales of film, and I'm just fine, at this time of the slightly out of focus product they offer now.

IMO.
__________________
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert Heinlein
"The power to tax involves the power to destroy;...the power to destroy may defeat and render useless the power to create...." Also Robert Heinlein
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2020   #66
brbo
Registered User
 
brbo's Avatar
 
brbo is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
I have the RF70 that I shoot Instax Wide on and get great result. My only qualm is that instax cant handle extreme highlights..it basically turns black.
But the film IMO has a nice color palette.
Solarisation was also a problem with FP100. But if solarisation is your only qualm with Instax then I envy you. I've reshot some scenes (that are easy to replicate) on Instax that I originally shot on FP100 and tossed the pictures right away. Not even close. Now I'm sorry I didn't keep the Instax frames to make a comparison, but I just can't force myself to redo them, so I can only show the FP100 ones...









Fuji comes up with stuff that is out of this world when they have to compete on quality and they go all out. With Instax it seems they went all out to create the cheapest stuff. Looking at the profit they make with Instax I guess they succeeded.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #67
Rotarysmp
Registered User
 
Rotarysmp is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 53
Nice photos you made there BRBO and TAEMO.

I am playing around with grafting an Instax wide back to my 100 Land camera.

Taemo, what is your RF70 like at wide open aperture? The camera seems so close to a great design, except that the internet photos seem to indicate the lens being horribly soft wide open. I can't face spending €700+ for that lens.
__________________
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #68
taemo
Registered User
 
taemo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Solarisation was also a problem with FP100. But if solarisation is your only qualm with Instax then I envy you. I've reshot some scenes (that are easy to replicate) on Instax that I originally shot on FP100 and tossed the pictures right away. Not even close. Now I'm sorry I didn't keep the Instax frames to make a comparison, but I just can't force myself to redo them, so I can only show the FP100 ones...









Fuji comes up with stuff that is out of this world when they have to compete on quality and they go all out. With Instax it seems they went all out to create the cheapest stuff. Looking at the profit they make with Instax I guess they succeeded.
lovely shots. what instant camera did you use it on?
Also keep in mind that you are comparing ISO100 instant film vs ISO800. And no Instax camera with sharp premium lens out there.
Always wanted an Instax back on 4x5 or MF camera.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotarysmp View Post
Taemo, what is your RF70 like at wide open aperture? The camera seems so close to a great design, except that the internet photos seem to indicate the lens being horribly soft wide open. I can't face spending €700+ for that lens.
RF70 is fairly soft wide open at f/5.6.
Havent shot with the RF70 in a while as I've been busy playing with other cameras but I will try to make some shots over the weekend.

Here's one at f/5.6
rf70-6 by earl dieta, on Flickr

and some more shots with the RF70, good at f/8, sharp at f/11
img795 by earl dieta, on Flickr

instax-016 by earl dieta, on Flickr

also one more imperfection for some photographers with the RF70 is the distortion on the lens.
__________________
earldieta.com - flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #69
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I received yesterday my One Instant pack films from Superense. I'll use them as a special "homage" to that beautiful adventure which was made possible by Edwin H. Land a visionary genius.

Yes, they are expensive but it's the last chance we have to experiment with the land cameras! And it is once in a while !

Now I have to think about a special mini project to be completed with 18 shots, some of which will be probably not techincally perfect...
That's great to hear that they're shipping product! I wonder when mine will be delivered.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #70
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
I looked hard at the prospect of making a Hasselblad V system compatible digital back using one of the Instant Magny 35 film processing units and decided it wasn't feasible. The Instax SQ film cartridge places the film plane almost 17mm behind the correct film plane for the V system and I could not find a solution where I could remove that 17mm of extra space without also destroying the film processing unit's mechanism. Which made no sense to me.

Unloading, firing one shot in a cut sheet back (for Hassy or Mamiya Press 23), then reloading a film pack and letting an Instax processing unit do the job ... well, it is possible but what a PITA it is! Nothing I'd like to undertake, really. I have the cut film back and film holders for the Mamiya Press 23 but have no desire to go this route.

My solution is to build an adapter to fit the Mamiya lens directly onto the film processing unit. This is easier than with a Hasselblad V lens/shutter since the Mamiya lens has a simple cocking lever and release rather than the paraphernalia needed to operate the lens/shutter unit in a integrated SLR body. I've got all the bits needed to build the adapter now (spare breech-lock mounting flange for the adapter, spare processing unit, lens/shutter unit) and just have to dimension and make the adapter.

Meanwhile, I disagree with the notion that the Polaroid Originals (née The Impossible Project) films render the SX-70 dead. I'm getting some excellent results with an original SX-70 as well as the SLR670a/m/x cameras, both B&W and color. The PO film has a chequered history, but they've really got it pretty close to the original Polaroid SX-70 now ... I'm happy enough to with it. These were all exposures direction out of an SLR670x in Fall 2019, except for the top one of me:



G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #71
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.
 
Pál_K's Avatar
 
Pál_K is offline
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Gig Harbor
Posts: 317
Do the latest Polaroid Originals require the ejected film be kept in the dark for a while upon ejection? Are they more resistant to fading over time?

Long ago, Polaroid made the 600 SE ("GOOSE") - a rangefinder camera with interchangeable lenses, film backs, and manual control over focus, shutter speed, and aperture.

Fuji needn't make anything that sophisticated, but manual control over focus, shutter speed, and aperture wouldn't be complex and the product would sell.
__________________
"Great photography is about the visual effect upon the viewer, not sharpness." - Stephen Gandy, Cameraquest
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #72
Skiff
Registered User
 
Skiff is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I'm not frustrated with Instax at all ... the MiNT RF70 makes very good use of the wide version film, ....
Could you be so kind to give some more details about your experiences with the RF 70?
I am tempted to get one. But the pictures I have seen so far online mostly were not so impressive concerning sharpness: Most don't look much sharper than what I get from my Instax Wide 210.
But maybe that is due to losses because of scanning.

Therefore: Do get significantly sharper images with the RF70 compared to the Instax Wide 210 or 300?
Does the Rangefinder work properly?
Is the exposure meter accurate?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #73
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pál_K View Post
Do the latest Polaroid Originals require the ejected film be kept in the dark for a while upon ejection? Are they more resistant to fading over time?

Long ago, Polaroid made the 600 SE ("GOOSE") - a rangefinder camera with interchangeable lenses, film backs, and manual control over focus, shutter speed, and aperture.

Fuji needn't make anything that sophisticated, but manual control over focus, shutter speed, and aperture wouldn't be complex and the product would sell.
The Polaroid 600SE was, essentially, a made-by-Mamiya camera ... a customized Mamiya Press 23 with a dedicated Polaroid film back, branded for Polaroid.

The latest edition Polaroid Originals film is much less light sensitive when initially ejected from the camera. Indoors, I treat it casually: just set it on the table after ejection. In sunlight, it's best to cover it as it slides out of the camera for about 10-15 seconds, after which time it's fine. The opaqueness factor of the reagent is improving but is an extraordinarily difficult thing to engineer ... and remember that even Polaroid started putting a "frog's tongue" blind on their cameras with the 600 speed film because they were having some difficulties with it in sunlight too.

My oldest Impossible/Polaroid Originals prints date from 2011. Some have faded a little, from the early generations. Most of them have not.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #74
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
Could you be so kind to give some more details about your experiences with the RF 70?
I am tempted to get one. But the pictures I have seen so far online mostly were not so impressive concerning sharpness: Most don't look much sharper than what I get from my Instax Wide 210.
But maybe that is due to losses because of scanning.

Therefore: Do get significantly sharper images with the RF70 compared to the Instax Wide 210 or 300?
Does the Rangefinder work properly?
Is the exposure meter accurate?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply!
This is a search collection of all the RF70 images I have scanned and posted on flickr.com: GDG RF70 Set. I have many, many more that I haven't scanned or posted yet. Hundreds. :-)

The rangefinder and exposure meter work well, but don't presume Leica-level precision. The lens is quite good when the focus is correct, and it performs best at one to two stops down from wide open (like most lenses). The film is better than the RF70 lens, for sure, and as my Leica M fitted with Instant Magny 35 demonstrates.

I can't compare the RF70 with the Instax Wide 210 or 300 since I've never used either of them. I find its output prints sharp, it performs well for the intended use, and is a satisfying camera in use. It cannot compete with a Polaroid SX-70 for critical focusing, the advantage of an SLR's TTL focusing is obvious.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020   #75
Skiff
Registered User
 
Skiff is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
This is a search collection of all the RF70 images I have scanned and posted on flickr.com: GDG RF70 Set. I have many, many more that I haven't scanned or posted yet. Hundreds. :-)

The rangefinder and exposure meter work well, but don't presume Leica-level precision. The lens is quite good when the focus is correct, and it performs best at one to two stops down from wide open (like most lenses). The film is better than the RF70 lens, for sure, and as my Leica M fitted with Instant Magny 35 demonstrates.

I can't compare the RF70 with the Instax Wide 210 or 300 since I've never used either of them. I find its output prints sharp, it performs well for the intended use, and is a satisfying camera in use. It cannot compete with a Polaroid SX-70 for critical focusing, the advantage of an SLR's TTL focusing is obvious.

G

That is helpful.
Thank you very much!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020   #76
Rotarysmp
Registered User
 
Rotarysmp is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I looked hard at the prospect of making a Hasselblad V system compatible digital back using one of the Instant Magny 35 film processing units and decided it wasn't feasible. The Instax SQ film cartridge places the film plane almost 17mm behind the correct film plane for the V system and I could not find a solution where I could remove that 17mm of extra space without also destroying the film processing unit's mechanism.
I am up against the same issue trying to get Instax onto the film plane of a Polaroid 100. There you have the focusing mechanism in the way. I covered that in my first video of hacking them together. https://youtu.be/UHYeu-3LmRk

Looks like for my second prototype, I'll have to separate the rollers and move them above the focusing mechanism, where they will conflict with the viewfinder.

I'd really like to see pictures of your Mamiya to Instax camera.
Mark
__________________
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020   #77
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Hi Mark!

I just watched your videos ... Great stuff! Creative and fun work!

My project is a heck of a lot simpler. I've got all the bits needed now for the basic camera except for the one piece I have to fabricate ... the mounting that will support the Mamiya Press lens mount onto the Instax SQ processing unit. You're inspiring me to get on with it!

thx!
G
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020   #78
taemo
Registered User
 
taemo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
Could you be so kind to give some more details about your experiences with the RF 70?
I am tempted to get one. But the pictures I have seen so far online mostly were not so impressive concerning sharpness: Most don't look much sharper than what I get from my Instax Wide 210.
But maybe that is due to losses because of scanning.

Therefore: Do get significantly sharper images with the RF70 compared to the Instax Wide 210 or 300?
Does the Rangefinder work properly?
Is the exposure meter accurate?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply!
the Instax Wide 210 is a fixed f/11 lens from what I recall.
th RF70 goes up to f/5.6, usable and good starting at f/8.

I've owned the Instax Wide 210 and it is a fine P&S Instax Wide camera, I went with the RF70 simply because I love the design of folding cameras and its operation is very similar to the Fuji GF670 which I miss shooting with.
With the RF70, you have full control with your exposure, shutter speed, aperture, focus and external flash.
Rangefinder works properly, however I find that for precise focus, it's best to focus to the closest distance first then focus to the subject. (learned from previous post by Godfrey)
__________________
earldieta.com - flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020   #79
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
Yes, focus to minimum first, then draw focus to the subject. It gets around any slop in the mechanism. :-)

That said, the focusing distance scale is reasonably accurate and once you get comfortable with it, you can just set the distance per your subject needs. That's what I do, six times out of ten: Leave the camera on f/8, set distance, shoot. Easy.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #80
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silly Valley, California, USA
Posts: 9,441
I stuffed the InstaKon RF70 into my bag with a fresh load of B&W film in it and went for a bicycle ride yesterday. I only made one photo on my bicycle ride, but after I returned home and dressed to go to the club for a drink with some friends, I carried it again and shot the remaining nine frames on the bus and while walking about downtown. I like five of them.


Photos About Town - San Jose 2020

Most of them I just guessed focus on. Two of these I guessed and set manual exposure too, because I figured the meter would be thrown off by the specular lights in the scene.

enjoy! G
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:22.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.