Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Old 04-13-2012   #201
millus1974
Film Shooter...Forever!!

Thanks, it's my car under the rain :-)
Shooting on film with a Leica, driving this car....for all the people around me i'm coming from the past with a time machine.

I was noticing a strong vignetting in my last few shoots with the Canon 35\1.5 i suspect it's the filter, i have bought this lens years ago with all the original accessories and the filter it's an UVa Canon filter 48mm...it look like the same period of the lens, but probably it's not the correct one, i don't know, anyway without this filter the lens doesn't show this black corner.

Old 04-13-2012   #202
kosta_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by millus1974 View Post
Thanks, it's my car under the rain :-)
Shooting on film with a Leica, driving this car....for all the people around me i'm coming from the past with a time machine.

I was noticing a strong vignetting in my last few shoots with the Canon 35\1.5 i suspect it's the filter, i have bought this lens years ago with all the original accessories and the filter it's an UVa Canon filter 48mm...it look like the same period of the lens, but probably it's not the correct one, i don't know, anyway without this filter the lens doesn't show this black corner.
People still wonder why i shoot film, as they see it as an inconvenience. I like it.
You have a lovely car by the way. Must be fun to drive!

Old 04-14-2012   #203
Nokton48

Quote:

Nice lens, car and pix, there.

The correct filter is what Canon called "Slimline" and it is flat-fronted, only threaded on the rear. The complete set of original 48mm Canon Slimline filters came in color-coded, bakelite tube that screwed together, so very neatly organized and safe. I found a complete set on Ebay last year, for a good price.

Regular double-threaded filters -do- vignette. Hence the special "Slimlines".

Old 04-17-2012   #204
millus1974
Film Shooter...Forever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Nice lens, car and pix, there.

The correct filter is what Canon called "Slimline" and it is flat-fronted, only threaded on the rear. The complete set of original 48mm Canon Slimline filters came in color-coded, bakelite tube that screwed together, so very neatly organized and safe. I found a complete set on Ebay last year, for a good price.

Regular double-threaded filters -do- vignette. Hence the special "Slimlines".
Thanks for these informations...i have checked mine and it's not slim at all...hahaha....as you can see from my pictures, i will take an eye on the market to find an UV for my canon 35 but i have to admit i'm not a great fan of filter on my lens...i always have a lot of flare and ghost image in my pictures when i use them with back light and evening shot.

Canon rfdr lenses
Old 01-27-2013   #205
agiyo

Canon rfdr lenses

I must have been very fortunate, in that I bought the Canon 19mm 3.5, 28mm 3.5, 28mm 2.8, and 35mm 1.5 back in the '70s. I used them in serious photojournalism for years on my Canon and Leica rfdrs, and they show it although all of them still perform splendidly. My 50mm lenses were/are the Summilux and Canon f/0.95, and my "long" rfdr lens, Nikkor 85 2.0. Their capabilities have not changed, they are splendid, lovely things to use and delight with every image.
I did find that using some of them at small apertures with a protective filter over the lens could cause ghosting from the white letters and numbers on the front lens-retaining ring, and filled in the white with flat black paint. They are lenses that have been "there and back," and show it, but by god they've been used right.
Thank you for helping me appreciate these old friends.
Perhaps I should stipulate that I disdain using any filter over my lenses, but there are conditions which can destroy lens coatings in very short order, such as the silicate blast from a diamond drill used to rescue miners from a collapsed gold mine tunnel. For that, I considered a filter excusable. The 19mm lens still shows that assignment.

Old 02-05-2013   #206
kosta_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiyo View Post
I must have been very fortunate, in that I bought the Canon 19mm 3.5, 28mm 3.5, 28mm 2.8, and 35mm 1.5 back in the '70s. I used them in serious photojournalism for years on my Canon and Leica rfdrs, and they show it although all of them still perform splendidly. My 50mm lenses were/are the Summilux and Canon f/0.95, and my "long" rfdr lens, Nikkor 85 2.0. Their capabilities have not changed, they are splendid, lovely things to use and delight with every image.
I did find that using some of them at small apertures with a protective filter over the lens could cause ghosting from the white letters and numbers on the front lens-retaining ring, and filled in the white with flat black paint. They are lenses that have been "there and back," and show it, but by god they've been used right.
Thank you for helping me appreciate these old friends.
Perhaps I should stipulate that I disdain using any filter over my lenses, but there are conditions which can destroy lens coatings in very short order, such as the silicate blast from a diamond drill used to rescue miners from a collapsed gold mine tunnel. For that, I considered a filter excusable. The 19mm lens still shows that assignment.
Sounds like you have had some excellent times with these lenses. I'd love to see some of your works. I'd also take the beach as a place where a filter is required. nothing like that sandy salty wind leaving stuff in your lens!

Old 04-10-2013   #207
littlemax

Got a user condition 35 1.5 yesterday (with a 7S and 100/2) at physical auctions in Paris. Optics are clean but looks batterd.
Tried it on an hybrid camera and must admit I have been really impressed. Really another league than the Canon RF 35 2.8 I had until now.

Even been pleased by performance at full aperture. Creamy bokeh and still very sharp. Whites glow a bit in dark atmospheres but it is more character than a flaw.

Though what is strange is that yesterday aperture was pretty easy to action. It is now quite hard. Not sure what happened as the blades are oil free (unlike my 35 2.8)..

Does someone know if it is difficult to open and fix, knowing that I dont want to touch optics but only helicoid and clean the aperture trigger.. ?

(I have spanner, rubber rings, tweezers, helicoid grease.. as I open SLR lenses I put on my hybrid from time to time..)

Old 06-30-2013   #208
[email protected]

just a quick question, do you use a filter or
hood with this lens ?

raytoei
btw, the W-50 hood is rarer
than hen's teeth.

Old 06-30-2013   #209
raid
Dad Photographer

I use a Canon W-50 with my 35/1.5.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-01-2013   #210
kermaier

I also use a W-50 on mine, but I really have to crank the thumb-screw hard to get it to clamp on securely. It's almost as if the hood was designed for a lens with a slightly thicker rim. (My 35/1.5 is very early, #10020, so maybe the hood was made when later production lenses, with possibly thicker rims, were available?)

And the W-50 is rare, but not uncontainable. I see 2 on eBay right now.

::Ari

Old 07-02-2013   #211
raid
Dad Photographer

I also have this problem, Ari. Maybe it better to get a screw-on off brand lens hood.

Old 07-07-2013   #212
kermaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I also have this problem, Ari. Maybe it better to get a screw-on off brand lens hood.
I would love to have one, but I can't seem to find a suitable wide-angle hood in 48mm size.

Old 07-07-2013   #213
raid
Dad Photographer

Try using a 48-49mm ring first, and then get an easy to find 48mm lens hood.

Old 07-20-2013   #214
littlemax

After a few months using this lens, I can definitely confirm it doesn't really leave my Nex hybrid camera. (and sometimes goes on the P)
I really like it's sharpness and look which is not dated, and give great results even on digital.

Regarding it's flaws, I can confirm that direct lights reeeaalllly glow at f1.5. Incident lights and dim atmosphčre give much better results at widest aperture, as sharpness is not really diminished.

Never had a Leica lens, but would be interested to know how it compares to the Summilux M 35

below shots at f1.5 and 2.8 respectively. not PPed.

Old 10-24-2013   #215
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Flickr 上 KEVIN is listening Begin......Bali island-unforgettable memory

Flickr 上 KEVIN is listening Begin......Bali island-unforgettable memory

f1.5 wide open

Canon 35mm f1.5 in LTM + Konica RF + Fujichrome Velvia 100 Professional Color Slide Film

When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man...

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 11-12-2013   #216
jroring

Does anyone use ND filters on the Canon 35/1.5? Would anyone be able to recommend which step-up adapter would be better to use?

Old 12-13-2013   #217
jroring

anyone recommend which ND filters to use on a canon 35/1.5?

Old 12-14-2013   #218
Nokton48

Regular double-sided filters will vignette with this lens. As far as I know Canon did not make an ND filter in the "Slimline Style" which were designed to work with the lens. Perhaps you could reload the camera and put in slower film. I switch rolls back and forth in bodies and it's not difficult to do. I've tried using stepdown rings with bigger filters on Canon RF lenses, and the tested results were not a success.

Old 12-15-2013   #219
Bille

Two sold recently for EUR 765 (ebay 261345183744) and EUR 571 (ebay 291028262668).

Something in the front group is radioactive by the way. I measured about 2,35 µSv/h with the copy I had.

Old 12-15-2013   #220
raid
Dad Photographer

The radioactivity is news to me. Interesting.
As for the current market value, it is quite high.
I have the Canon 1.5 trio.

Old 04-03-2014   #221
psy501

..having one for sale in europe right now on the auction house..would of course prefer to sell it to someone who actually uses it, so just letting you know here..(hope this is allowed)..username on the auction site psi501..if interested just let me know (preferably via the auction sites messenger system)..best regards, erik..

Old 08-23-2014   #222
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

Quote:
I really like this one....I need to photograph my vintage 1957 Beetle with this lens as soon as I can get it fixed.

Tom

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses for now on real film Leica M6.
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/118

Old 08-23-2014   #223
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

I've been away from the site for a quite a long while now due to my health, but now I'm slowly getting back into shooting my PinUp girls again.

My f1.5/35 is still broken, it shoots fine but the aperture blades are blocked wide open, does anyone have the name of a good Canon RF lens repair person, outside from DAG, maybe someone closer to or in Florida?

Tom

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses for now on real film Leica M6.
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/118

Old 08-24-2014   #224
raid
Dad Photographer

Hi Tom,
I am glad that you are feeling better. The 35/1.5 is a special lens. I would send it to a well known camera repair person. Have you used the services of Don Goldberg or Sherry Krauter?

Old 03-21-2017   #225
raid
Dad Photographer

I am now using the Canon 35/1.5 again.
Any other person here too?

My current link on this lens: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=160378

Old 03-21-2017   #226
raid
Dad Photographer

Is this for real?! $1295

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mint-Ca...4AAOSwuxFYuDU9

Old 03-21-2017   #227
asimplefarmer

This was on my a7s + canon 35 f1.5 LTM

and this one too

Old 03-21-2017   #228
goamules

Those Japanese sellers can ask whatever they want. It started at $1400, then $1300, then $1200, never selling each time. One did sell for $760.

Old 03-21-2017   #229
raid
Dad Photographer

Thanks for the info, Garrett

Old 03-21-2017   #230
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplefarmer View Post
This was on my a7s + canon 35 f1.5 LTM
Thanks! The out of focus looks strange.

Old 03-21-2017   #231
asimplefarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thanks! The out of focus looks strange.
Edges with M mount lenses usually look terrible wide open on the edges. Though I will say that this lens has some cool swirly bokeh.

Old 03-21-2017   #232
raid
Dad Photographer

My first version Summicron 35/2 does not have "edges" issues.

Old 03-21-2017   #233
asimplefarmer

Oops, I meant the edge problem is on Sony cameras. Not on M digitals.

Old 03-22-2017   #234
raid
Dad Photographer

Yes, this is more accurate!

Old 01-25-2020   #235
jmanivelle

35 Canon 1.5 LTM - Acros 100 - M2

Baía de Guanabara
by JM__, on Flickr

35 Canon 1.5 LTM - TMax 100 - M2

Letizia Battaglia - Palermo / IMS RJ
by JM__, on Flickr

Letizia Battaglia - Palermo / IMS RJ
by JM__, on Flickr

Old 01-29-2020   #236
jmanivelle

Untitled
by JM__, on Flickr

Untitled
by JM__, on Flickr

Acros 100 - M2 - 35 Canon 1.5 LTM

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #237
Alex1416

Just wanted to keep this thread alive lol

This lens is one of my 3 main daily drivers for film and digital.
There is a certain magical character to it that you can't find on any other lens. The only one that comes close is my other daily driver, the Summicron 40mm lol
And what keeps bringing me back is that often ill be tempted to buy a vintage V4 Summicron 35mm or Summilux. But i see sample images online of those lenses and i realize that this lens performs better wide open than those lenses hahaha. And if you decide to stop down to f2, its nearly perfect in every way. These 2 images were shot wide open at f1.5

Leica M240 + Canon 35mm f1.5 LTM by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr

Leica M6 + Canon 35mm f1.5 + Tmax 400 by Alex Aguilera, on Flickr