Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

A portable, fast, and preferably quiet MF camera?
Old 01-19-2020   #1
rhechcapel

A portable, fast, and preferably quiet MF camera?

Hi folks! I am madly in love with my Pentax 6x7, but there are times when that thunder clap mirror slap is just not socially acceptable. It's also a beast to carry.

So, I've started lusting after a Mamiya 6 (damn GAS).

The reasons I like it are:
  • Reasonably fast normal lens (75/3.5)
  • Quiet leaf shutter
  • Very portable, especially with the lens collapsed into the body
  • Gorgeous huge bright viewfinder and rangefinder patch
  • It's so pretty

Obviously I've also been looking at the Fuji fixed lens options, and the equally lustworthy Bessa 3 / Fuji GF670. The Pentax 645 could be a nice option with the 55/2.8 and I could adapt my 6x7 lenses to it, but it's a bit more bulky and I believe it's quite noisy.

I am totally fine with a fixed lens - I'd prefer something in the 40-50mm range (35mm equivalent).

I want to use it indoors, so quiet and fast are top of the list of requirements.

I'd prefer 6x4.5 - 6x6 negative sizes. 6x6 would be fun for the square format, 645 would be nice for the extra shots per roll. I see this as a quicker, lighter camera for more ad hoc shooting than my 6x7, so a smaller negative size seems to make sense.

Do I really need to save up mega cash for the Mamiya 6, or is there something cheaper that ticks all my boxes?