Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Canon P - ISO Setting?
Old 11-22-2019   #1
garrethpb

Canon P - ISO Setting?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and fairly new to shooting with Rangefinders. I've had a Canon VT-Deluxe that I've been shooting with for a few months but just recently acquired a Canon P that appears to be in excellent condition. I am a bit confused, however, by the lack of ISO setting. Am I missing something? How does one account for film ISO when using this camera?

Thank you!

Garreth

Old 11-22-2019   #2
jim_jm

The camera has no built-in meter. You need to add a meter to the hotshoe, or use a handheld meter, and set the ISO (ASA) of your film there. The dial on the back of the camera is just a reminder for the speed of the film you have loaded.

Old 11-22-2019   #3
Swift1

The Canon P and VT have no built in light meter, so it's not necessary to be able to set film speed on the camera. The ISO "setting" on the VT is only to help you remember what film is loaded.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-22-2019   #4
garrethpb

Jim, thanks for your quick answer. I understand that there's no light meter. I quite like this actually and have had pretty good results using the "Sunny 16" rule, which as I understand as follows: Shooting in full sun, if you set your F-Stop to 16, you'll have good exposure if your shutter speed matches your film's ISO. You can use the "exposure triangle" to make adjustments accordingly. Certainly I can still follow the same guidelines with this camera. The only difference is that with the VT-Deluxe I've been shooting with, you actually have a means to tell the camera what is the ISO of the film you're using. The P does not have this - there's nowhere to set the ISO on the camera. So... Do I just kinda load my film and continue to follow Sunny 16 and not worry about the fact that there's no where to set the ISO setting on the camera itself?

Old 11-22-2019   #5
garrethpb

Swift, thanks! Got it! So the ISO "setting" on the VT doesn't actually do anything! Joke's on me... This will be fun. Thank you for your help!

Old 11-22-2019   #6
AndersG

Yes, the camera itself has no use for the ISO setting - it relies on you setting the speed, aperture and focus on the camera to whatever you choose as suitable.

Old 11-22-2019   #7
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrethpb View Post
Swift, thanks! Got it! So the ISO "setting" on the VT doesn't actually do anything! Joke's on me... This will be fun. Thank you for your help!
Precisely
Good luck and happy shooting.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-22-2019   #8
maigo

I had exactly the same questions a few years back when I got the Olympus Pen FV.
No shame in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-22-2019   #9
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

My P has a reminder dial on the back door. It's of course labeled "ASA" because that and DIN were how film speeds were standardized at the time of the P's production.