Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

MS Optics 50mm f/1.0 ISM
Old 11-06-2019   #1
heavyweather

MS Optics 50mm f/1.0 ISM

So I took the plunge and snagged a copy of this lens, it's very unique. It seems impossible that an f/1.0 lens could be so small and light, but he's done it. I'm still deciding whether the bokeh and shallow depth of field at that aperture works for me... in the meantime, I'm looking for a UV filter that is compatible with this curious design.

What I mean is, for some reason, the filter threads on this lens are in the male configuration, so to attach a filter, you flip it over and screw it on "backwards," as in you mate the normally-front-facing female threads of the filter with the male thread of the lens. Bizarre, right? so my 55-58 step-up ring won't work, and both Hoya and B+W 55mm UV filters I've tried have too many threads to screw in all the way. The only filter that works, so far, is a circular polarizer from Tiffen. However, I only want to use that filter in the daytime for its ND properties, I would rather have a clear UV filter for night time shooting. Does anyone know of a filter with very few female threads?

Photo from the lens attached for grins. If anyone else has pictures with it, I'd love to see them!