Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Jim Lager - Leica Historian

Jim Lager - Leica Historian Jim Lager is widely considered the best Leica historian ever, having authored arguably the best selection of Leica history books ever written. RFF is very fortunate to have access to his amazing Leica knowledge.

Would appreciate info on IIIcK base plate
Old 06-11-2018   #1
lutronjim

Would appreciate info on IIIcK base plate

I have a camera my dad bought from an Army Officer that returned from Germany in late 1940's or very early 1950's. It has serial number D.R.P. Num 391427 K Kugellager.

It has a chrome base plate but is gray on top - see pics. I have been told that the base plate should be painted gray and that it has been replaced.

I know that the plate has never been replaced since its been in our family. I find it hard to believe that it was replaced before my dad purchased it since it would have been such a new camera.

Any information I could get on it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camerabp.jpg (38.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cameratop.jpg (21.0 KB, 18 views)

Old 06-17-2018   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Still no answer to this? I suppose it's possible it could have left the factory that way, but it seems highly improbable. More likely, someone with more than one Leica swapped the baseplate from a chrome model, and never corrected it. Maybe the owner lost the original baseplate and substituted whatever was available. I guess the answer will never be known for sure.

Old 06-17-2018   #3
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

What Rob says. Anything could have happened.

If you want it to match up again, Alan Starkie in the UK is your man. He can de-chrome the current baseplate and paint it the correct way to match the camera. Google the man for his web site. He's a wizard, he might be able to get that nasty dent out too.
Any wear, you will have to put on it yourself by shooting the camera

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |