Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Jim Lager - Leica Historian

Jim Lager - Leica Historian Jim Lager is widely considered the best Leica historian ever, having authored arguably the best selection of Leica history books ever written. RFF is very fortunate to have access to his amazing Leica knowledge.

Leica M2 with an Unusual Serial #
Old 11-12-2017   #1
Maiku
Maiku

Leica M2 with an Unusual Serial #

Hi,

I looked at an M2 today with an unusual serial #.

Can anyone tell me why the M2 would have the serial # 13175 A.

Thanks,

Maiku

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/1573670/album

Camera: Sony a7. Minolta Lenses: 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.7, 50/3.5, 85/1.4, 100/2.8, 75/210/4. Tokina Lenses: 28-70/2.8

Old 11-12-2017   #2
jonmanjiro

Hey Mike, I was curious about that one too. Most likely, its the top plate from a dummy (display) camera on a normal M2.

Old 11-12-2017   #3
michaelwj
----------------

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=139229

'A' stands for 'Atrappe', literally "Mock-up'. The camera (or at least the top plate) is from a non-working mock up M2.

So the questions;
Is it working? In which case the top plate has been taken from an Atrappe model and fitted with working innards. The collector value is unsure, it's not original but it is a curiosity.
Is it not working? In which case it is likely original and has some collector value, but of course no real camera value - it doesn't work.
Would I buy it? Not at a large premium (maybe at a small premium because it's kinda cool).