Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders

Canon Leica Screw Mount Film Rangefinders For classic Leica Screw Mount Canon Rangefinders.

Canon S-II
Old 08-17-2018   #1
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Canon S-II

I don't usually have a reason to post in this sub-forum, however this kit arrived recently, and as it's not the sort of camera one spots every day, I thought that perhaps those of our members who have an interest in the Canon rangefinders might enjoy seeing some photos.

The camera shutter is basically working at all its speeds, although on the slow speed settings, the second curtain will not begin to move until pressure on the shutter release has been eased, so perhaps the Bulb lever is sticking. Not that I would expect the speeds to actually be accurate at present, but I think that a set of curtains and a service will see it working well enough, because it's trying to. The original curtains don't look too bad but are probably past their best. The rangefinder calibration at infinity looks good, though I expect cleaning the optics would possibly brighten the view, which is usable as is anyway.

It's a beautifully made Leica facsimile, and my first experience with an early Canon. If my brief research about the company's older models is correct, the 5cm Serenar lens may be one of the first 1500 or so that Canon ever made.

A 13.5cm Serenar f/4 lens and its accessory finder were also present.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 08-18-2018   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Very nice kit you got there, thanks for sharing the pics.

The S-II was the precursor of the very popular Canon IIB, with its innovative three position viewfinder that set the stage for the rest of the Canon bottomloaders and to the V and VI series LTM Canon cameras.

Old 08-18-2018   #3
Mackinaw
Think Different

Nice. Is that a Canon lens hood on the 50/3.5?

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 08-18-2018   #4
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Wow, thanks for the great pictures! It looks like it has been in a time machine. Will you you do the maintenance yourself?

Old 08-18-2018   #5
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Nice. Is that a Canon lens hood on the 50/3.5?

Jim B.
Jim,
It has “Australia” stamped onto the rim, and another name, perhaps the maker, that’s harder to read—I suspect it is a locally supplied item. I can check the details with a magnifying glass or loupe, if you’d like to know.
Cheers
Brett

Old 08-18-2018   #6
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Wow, thanks for the great pictures! It looks like it has been in a time machine. Will you you do the maintenance yourself?
David,
I expect I probably could attend to that, if I was inclined, out of necessity I have become more proficient at working on focal plane shutters over the last couple of years—but the camera is probably destined to be passed onto a (hopefully) loving new home before too long, so it will be up to the new owner to take that task on, or engage a third party to do it for them. Still, I had never seen such a relatively early Canon until now, and I thought the least I should do is document it and share it with those who have a common interest in classic rangefinders.
Cheers
Brett

Old 08-18-2018   #7
nhchen
Nathan

Cool camera Brett. The S-K lenses are quite rare I think. I’ve got a S-II as well but in rougher condition. It’s shutter is still working still so havnt opened it up yet.
Nathan

Old 09-05-2018   #8
darinwc

Very cool camera! What a nice piece of history.

Old 09-05-2018   #9
Bingley

Those old Canons can be wonderful shooters...

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 09-06-2018   #10
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

The Canon has found a new home in Australia with someone who has a lot of interest in their early rangefinders. They sound very happy with it, too, so that is a good result, I think. Thanks to all who’ve commented, and I hope you enjoyed seeing some pictures of it as much as I did examining it. It was a first for me.
Cheers
Brett