Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 03-13-2019   #41
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydm6 View Post
Brett, very nice shot!

In an apparent gas attack, I ended up buying a Contaflex Super B w/2.8 50mm Tessar but haven't shot with it yet. It's been back a few times for repair and I think it's working ok now but just need to find some time to shoot.

I also purchased the supplementary lenses (all in their original lens bubbles):
  • Pro-Tessar 35mm f3.2
  • Pro-Tessar 85mm f3.2
  • Pro-Tessar 115mm f4
All in beautiful condition and exquisite build quality.

During my gas attack I also purchased a Zeiss Contina-matic III w/removable 45mm f2.8 Pantar lens, and a Zeiss Contessa (45mm f2.8 Tessar).

The engineering in these cameras is very admirable.

I also bought some accessories; hoods, filters, and really need to stop now! ....and go out and shoot...
You're most kind, thank you.

The Super B is a lovely model, those later 50mm Tessars are quite sharp. I've been surprised at how well the 35mm and 85mm lenses in particular perform, too.

I mentioned some basic checks you can do to assess whether or not the shutters are working correctly. You'd be best to do this by manually selecting f/22 on the setting ring. But if you want to verify a Super B is 100% you will need to see if the meter is responding to different light levels and opening and closing the aperture accordingly. You can do this quite effectively by looking through the film gate as the shutter is released. Naturally if you point the cell at a front lit middle tone in full sun the needle should indicate close to sunny 16, but you should actually verify the appropriately sized aperture as the shutter opens and closes. That ought to assure the basic accuracy of the system is good. With that done you can select a range of shutter speeds either outside or indoors and under a constant light source each time you select a faster speed, the aperture should open up one stop automatically to maintain exposure and vice-versa. The auto control is coupled to all speeds from one second to 1/500, you can also ensure the backlighting exposure compensation is working by comparing the aperture at a constant light level with it engaged and disengaged at any particular speed.

The auto control functions fairly simply in the shutter via a drive keyway and key from the meter system in the body that determines how far the blades can close down on release. As long as the shutter itself is clean and functioning, if the cell and galvanometer are good, it's unlikely to misbehave. Although it is a selenium cell meter it has a decent sized cell and was well calibrated by Zeiss. In good working condition it is definitely up to exposing transparency well on auto aperture mode. And the Zeiss lens coatings deliver gorgeous colour rendition (this image was made with a Super BC and 85mm Pro Tessar on Fuji Velvia a few years ago, only basic adjustments to contrast, highlights and shadows and sharpening were done).
Cheers,
Brett

Old 03-13-2019   #42
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Ty for sharing the Preana with us sir.. when I come across stories like this I sometimes wonder if we are missing something better nowadays
She is stunning with the array of brass portholes, classic bow and hull design and smoke stack. Considering she was badly neglected and even sunk for a while her present condition is a testament to the many hundreds of hours put into the restoration.
Cheers,
Brett