Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Quick Rollei 2.8C question
Old 01-11-2019   #1
caseyjames

Quick Rollei 2.8C question

So I am looking for a strap for my 2.8C. As you all know, it uses a different lug system than most and options are limited. I know people rave about the OpTech, but I'm curious is there are other recommended options?

Also, is it possible (or even recommended) to, say, tie string or leather to the metal bar, completely bypassing the lug? Is that bar strong enough?

Old 01-11-2019   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjames View Post
So I am looking for a strap for my 2.8C. As you all know, it uses a different lug system than most and options are limited. I know people rave about the OpTech, but I'm curious is there are other recommended options?

Also, is it possible (or even recommended) to, say, tie string or leather to the metal bar, completely bypassing the lug? Is that bar strong enough?
I only ever used a fabric strap through the clips on my 2.8C, for years without incident, and continue to do the same with my 2.8D today. Just use a material sympathetic to the adjacent paintwork of the finder.

Old 01-11-2019   #3
caseyjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
I only ever used a fabric strap through the clips on my 2.8C, for years without incident, and continue to do the same with my 2.8D today. Just use a material sympathetic to the adjacent paintwork of the finder.
So something like this (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14..._2048x2048.jpg) would be okay? I know that bar wasn't intended to carry/support weight, so I just want to be sure it is up to the task

Old 01-11-2019   #4
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjames View Post
So something like this (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/14..._2048x2048.jpg) would be okay? I know that bar wasn't intended to carry/support weight, so I just want to be sure it is up to the task
As long as it fits through them, it should be fine. Just ensure the retaining screws are fastened (don't have to be particularly tight but must be secure). I carried my own C around nearly ten years this way without issue. Bear in mind the same bracket comprises the lugs for the alligator clip fittings, you're not placing any additional stress on the camera body...

Old 01-11-2019   #5
caseyjames

Good to know! Thank you for giving me some peace of mind

Old 01-11-2019   #6
Dan Daniel

The bar on the strap lug fitting is plenty strong enough.

Personally I like the Op/Tech Pro Loop connector. It has a flat material that needs a little help getting through the opening in the Rollei strap opening. Once through, it holds up well. And it falls away from the focus hood as you bring the camera up. I found typical strapping tended to get in the way of the focus hood slightly.

Slightly! All in all if it will go through the opening and support the weight of the camera, you are fine. Like camera bags and so many other things, it's about what works for you.

Be sure to inspect straps regularly (all cameras). Like once a year or more. I did find that a set of the Pro Loop connector parts showed slight fraying on the material. So I threw it out just because. This was after about 8 years of use.