Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Bessaflex repair?!
Old 12-12-2015   #1
jamin-b

Bessaflex repair?!

I bought a clean fully functional Bessaflex secondhand a few years ago and it has been one of my mainstays. Recently I've noticed that with certain lenses mounted (Takumars, Fujica) sometimes the shutter would stick when pressed and I would have to unscrw the lens for the shutter to close and lose a frame. Annoying, but not terrible, and I didn't give it too much thought...

Yesterday the same thing happended, but when I unscred the lens I felt some strange resistance, and when the lens came off the mirror had cracked and the shutter was stuck open... UGH!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good and not overly expensive repair service?

Old 12-12-2015   #2
zuikologist

From memory, I think the Bessaflex is based on the fairly standard Cosina design, including the Nikon FM10, so may be a camera that is not too difficult to work on.

Out of interest, which lenses gave problems ? One of the Takumars (50/1.4?) has a protruding rear element that might snag with the mirror.

Old 12-13-2015   #3
jamin-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
From memory, I think the Bessaflex is based on the fairly standard Cosina design, including the Nikon FM10, so may be a camera that is not too difficult to work on.

Out of interest, which lenses gave problems ? One of the Takumars (50/1.4?) has a protruding rear element that might snag with the mirror.
I think it was the Super-Takumar 50/1.4 but i also noticed issues with the Pentax 24mm 2.8...

Old 12-13-2015   #4
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I had the same problem with a Nikon FE-10, (which is the same basic Cosina SLR camera chassis as the Bessaflex). When I mounted a Vivitar 17~28 zoom, the mirror would lock up and not return until the lens was partially removed.
The problem didn't happen with other lenses, but it was for the wide zoom that I purchased the body to mate with. Luckily, I had just purchased the body from KEH and so returned it for a refund. Never did figure out the problem.

reviving this request
Old 12-29-2018   #5
jamin-b

reviving this request

I still have not had this repaired - can anyone please help? This is a stupid minor issue that keeps a great camera from being used.

Head Bartender??? I purchased (and enjoyed) this camera partially on the basis of your review

Old 12-29-2018   #6
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Any broken mirror pieces jamming the mechanism? It certainly sounds like particular lenses were fouling the mirror or perhaps stop down? Hence unfastening the lens helping it to cycle.

The mirror itself shouldn't be especially problematic as long as it doesn't incorporate any metering functionality (semi transparent, meter cells etc). Does it? Any donor of similar thickness should be able to be cut to size, and grafted in to replace it. Yes, fine tuning of viewfinder focus will be likely unless the replacement thickness is identical (and even then, having had a shunt, might well still be needed). As to the shutter—well, unless there is a readily apparent cause within the mirror box (Eg. is the mirror lift mechanism damaged?), it's hard to offer more specific suggestions based on your information, sorry.

Perhaps owners of the model might have some better information. Not having seen one in real life I can only make some basic comments. The Bessaflex is a beautiful SLR, I've long admired its styling. I hope you get it sorted easily.
Cheers
Brett

Old 12-29-2018   #7
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I'd start here: https://cameraquest.com/repairs.htm
This may not be a good suggestion, depending on where you are.
I would hope that because the Bessaflex is a basic--though beautiful!--SLR, that it would not really be too difficult to have serviced? Maybe parts are an issue but I don't know. Seems like most competent service folks ought to be able to sort this for you.

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 12-29-2018   #8
Steve M.

You could always pick up another m42 mount camera for cheap so you can get shooting again w/ the lenses that you have. There are so many good ones out there for peanuts. But, it does appear that people have been having issues w/ certain M42 lenses even on other bodoes.

I used to shoot my screw mount glass on a Canon FD Program body with a $15 adapter. You can shoot the camera in P or M modes w/ AE. A Canon F1 would be a great shooter too w/ an adapter in stop down mode.

Here's an interesting discussion about m42 bodies.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...er-made.48280/

Old 12-29-2018   #9
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

This is probably not much help, but:

About 6 months ago the film frame counter on my Bessaflex jammed and the light meter diodes were kind of iffy so I asked my local camera shop (in Yokohama, Japan) what could be done? They sent it to the Cosina factory in Nagano, Japan and it was promptly fixed and returned. Of course I had to pay for the service and it wasnt cheap (about $200.00).

The point Im trying to make is that Cosina is still servicing the Bessaflex so if you have a way to get the camera to them it is a possible option for you.

As was already advised, It might be easier just to look for another used Bessaflex. And, if by some chance you got your current one fixed down the road youd have two fantastic Bessaflex camera bodies!

Mike