Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

your thoughts on this listing
Old 09-27-2018   #1
pauld111

your thoughts on this listing

Hi,

I was wondering what you guys thought of the following camera for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163280094...m=163280094742

I think it's a bit pricey but wondering if it is fake or not, seems okay but I would like some other opinions.

Old 09-27-2018   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

It looks real but you cannot tell if the inside parts are 100% Zeiss and it has not been repaired with Kiev donor parts.

The f1.5 pre war Sonnar is a nice lens but the condition of it is unknown like the rest of the camera body.

The price is not a super bargain but many Contax II cameras are priced high when paired with the f1.5 Sonnar lens.

Old 09-27-2018   #3
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld111 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering what you guys thought of the following camera for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163280094...m=163280094742

I think it's a bit pricey but wondering if it is fake or not, seems okay but I would like some other opinions.
The curtains are sitting a bit wonky across the gate. No mention of who repaired it or when. Seller has only shot a single roll through it. So if the ribbons are dodgy they’ll probably go during your first roll. The wind side one might be on the way out already, looking at how the curtain sits.

Unless you’re purchasing one with documented, verifiable repair records you are definitely better off buying the cleanest original example you can find at a low price and then having it sorted for you if you are not up to doing it yourself. It won’t work out much cheaper than buying this one but you will have something that will be a good user. You discovered the perils of purchasing an apparently working Contax last time. I’m slightly surprised you’d want to repeat that experience. You are generally much better off buying a clean example that is sold as non-working. It will be cheaper than those proffered as “working” which, in reality, unless they really have been well repaired recently, NEVER WILL BE WORKING. OK?

Old 09-27-2018   #4
pauld111

Thanks for your input. I thought it looked interesting but I will give it a miss. It was just that I have to wait another two months or more for the repairs of the other camera, thought I would get this one and use it. The Contax ii has always been the dream camera for me. The previous one I bought came with the f2 lens so I thought it would be good in any event to have the new lens.

Old 09-27-2018   #5
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi.

It seems a lot of money to me because I've no idea what state it will be in (say) this time next year after a few rolls have gone through it. Of course, this is a generalisation because it applies to any secondhand camera of that age and you can only be safe by getting one with a cast iron guarantee (unlikely) that is for a year. Or, of course, the bill for recent overhaul from a trusted technician.

If I was rich I'd buy it for the lens but that's just out of curiosity to see what the original CZ f/1.5 Sonnar was like. BTW, the seller's feedback is 100%, that's a plus.

Experience of Contax cameras tells me that the body could be worn out inside, the ribbons could be on their last legs and the lens will need cleaning...

Regards, David

Old 09-27-2018   #6
pauld111

Hi David, thanks for weighing in. I am going to be patient and wait for Ed to repair the other camera. But as you said the lens does look good.

Old 09-27-2018   #7
David Hughes
David Hughes

It's all part of the service.

I may have said this before but a lot of us have bought FED cameras to compare and use because we have Leicas and we even bought a Kiev 2a to compare with the Contax II. Well, I did...

Kievs are good cameras and if you think you'll probably end up with one to sit beside the Contax then why not think about it now? It'll give you a bit of experience and that can't be a bad thing to have when the Contax returns. Also, you've a better chance of getting a manual and so on for the Kiev and Oleg's repairs are fast and recommended should the worst happen.

Regards, David

Old 09-27-2018   #8
Highway 61
Revisited

What Brett said.