Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 06-26-2019   #81
mpaniagua

Thanks for the story Chris. Cats are pretty awesome companions.

Here are my two cats. They seldom get into arguments but most of the time they are good pals

Old 06-26-2019   #82
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Beautiful cats! I can't believe that one of them lets you put a leash on him. Mine would lay down and refuse to move until the harness was GONE. Sneaky follows me like a dog when I walk anywhere, but I don't think he would let me put a leash no him like a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
Thanks for the story Chris. Cats are pretty awesome companions.

Here are my two cats. They seldom get into arguments but most of the time they are good pals

Old 06-26-2019   #83
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Beautiful cats! I can't believe that one of them lets you put a leash on him. Mine would lay down and refuse to move until the harness was GONE. Sneaky follows me like a dog when I walk anywhere, but I don't think he would let me put a leash no him like a dog.
I found with cats that the secret is slowly accustoming them to a new situation. When I tried to accustom my previous cat to a normal cat collar it was a matter of initially putting it on for a few seconds, reassuring her then taking it off when she complained for a short time. Increasing the duration progressively combined with rewards worked over time.

I suspect the same thing might work with leashes, though whether it would work with Sneaky I would have to defer to you.

Old 06-28-2019   #84
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Got my son to take some pictures of me with Sneaky yesterday evening.

Old 06-28-2019   #85
mpaniagua

Quote:

Damn cat looks amazing

Old 06-28-2019   #86
mpaniagua

Quote:
He kinda enjoy wearing a collar or harness. He stay and wait till I put that on him. I suppose it make him feel important or something.

The white one don't though. He likes the collar but not the harness.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 06-28-2019   #87
Paulbe

That is one beautiful cat!! Thanks for taking it in...
Paul

Old 06-28-2019   #88
peterm1

What a lovely cat and most of all he seems to have a lovely temperament despite what he has been though in his earlier life. You have performed a kind of mitzvah (good deed).

Old 06-28-2019   #89
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
What a lovely cat and most of all he seems to have a lovely temperament despite what he has been though in his earlier life. You have performed a kind of mitzvah (good deed).

He is a really sweet cat. He didn't like being picked up at first, but now he cuddles up to me and purrs loudly if I hold him. His only real issue is he's greedy. He constantly looks for food, even after being fed, and jumps on my tables and counters to look for it.

Old 06-28-2019   #90
peterm1

Quote:
He is a really sweet cat. He didn't like being picked up at first, but now he cuddles up to me and purrs loudly if I hold him. His only real issue is he's greedy. He constantly looks for food, even after being fed, and jumps on my tables and counters to look for it.
If I were to hazard a guess his greed issues may have something to do with the conditions in which he lived prior to you adopting him. A cat which is ill cared for, not fed properly and regularly and not taught discipline around food etc leads to them adopting a kind of "hand to mouth" (paw to mouth?) existence where they become overly greedy as a kind of survival response I think. In other words they think that when they see food they should eat as much of it as quickly as possible as they are able.

One thing I am careful about is that it's too easy to over indulge a greedy cat (and all cats are a bit greedy anyway) which is to their long term health detriment. My cat is pretty good but can be demanding about food so I try to keep her happy by giving small serves so she does not become over weight.

PS I had to train my cat not to climb on benchtops. Now she never does it - in my line of sight. But quite often when I get up in the morning I will see some suspicious paw prints where they should not be. She knows exactly that it's verbotten. But her instincts still make her do it when she thinks she can get away with it. Maybe I should rename her sneaky cat. :^

Old 06-28-2019   #91
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
If I were to hazard a guess his greed issues may have something to do with the conditions in which he lived prior to you adopting him. A cat which is ill cared for, not fed properly and regularly and not taught discipline around food etc leads to them adopting a kind of "hand to mouth" (paw to mouth?) existence where they become overly greedy as a kind of survival response I think. In other words they think that when they see food they should eat as much of it as quickly as possible as they are able.

One thing I am careful about is that it's too easy to over indulge a greedy cat (and all cats are a bit greedy anyway) which is to their long term health detriment. My cat is pretty good but can be demanding about food so I try to keep her happy by giving small serves so she does not become over weight.

PS I had to train my cat not to climb on benchtops. Now she never does it - in my line of sight. But quite often when I get up in the morning I will see some suspicious paw prints where they should not be. She knows exactly that it's verbotten. But her instincts still make her do it when she thinks she can get away with it. Maybe I should rename her sneaky cat. :^

I figured that was the problem with Sneaky. My son's mother had a cat like that. She told me that her cat had belonged to a guy she worked with who bragged about starving the cat and letting his dogs go after her. She convinced the guy to give her the cat, who was a really sweet cat, but psychologically messed up.

Her cat would eat until she puked, then eat more. My ex had another cat, too, and the abused cat would attack him and steal his food! She had to feed the male cat separately, and the female was given small amounts of food all through the day to ensure she got enough to eat without getting sick from overeating.

A funny thing about this was that my son's mother also had a pet rat and a mouse. They were in cages on top of a tall file cabinet, and the female cat would sit on the ground all day and stare at the two rodents while smacking her lips and drooling all over herself!

Old 06-28-2019   #92
peterm1

Quote:
I figured that was the problem with Sneaky. My son's mother had a cat like that. She told me that her cat had belonged to a guy she worked with who bragged about starving the cat and letting his dogs go after her. She convinced the guy to give her the cat, who was a really sweet cat, but psychologically messed up.

Her cat would eat until she puked, then eat more. My ex had another cat, too, and the abused cat would attack him and steal his food! She had to feed the male cat separately, and the female was given small amounts of food all through the day to ensure she got enough to eat without getting sick from overeating.

A funny thing about this was that my son's mother also had a pet rat and a mouse. They were in cages on top of a tall file cabinet, and the female cat would sit on the ground all day and stare at the two rodents while smacking her lips and drooling all over herself!
Yeh my cat sometimes pukes after eating, not perhaps from eating too much, but rather from stuffing it all in too quickly. There are a couple of particularly annoying things about this process: (a) My floors are mainly tiled but she always does it on a carpet or a rug. Its as if she thinks that she deserves to have a comfortable backside if she is going to upchuck and be uncomfortable in her top half. (b) She never does it in one spot. Almost every time there will be three loads........................ and if I chase her to put her out when she starts...... Well just forget about it, its a hell scene. Perhaps she just wants to keep me entertained.

I have even gone to the length of putting her outside after she eats and leaving her out for 20 minutes or so. But a few times she has tricked me by crying to come back in so she can puke in comfort.

Fortunately this is not all that common - perhaps once a fortnight or so. But just as I begin to relax .........................!

Old 06-29-2019   #93
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:

Love these photos! And interesting subjects, both the cat and the human

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 06-29-2019   #94
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Love these photos! And interesting subjects, both the cat and the human

robert

Thanks, Robert. My son took the photos for me. He's a really good photographer, too.

Old 06-30-2019   #95
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Old 06-30-2019   #96
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Yesterday morning, as he was eating his breakfast, Sneaky suddenly darted into the bush in front of my house in an attempt to murder a chirping bird!

The bird got away, so he went back to his food bowl. He kept an eye on the bush for a while afterward.

He was kind of pissed about missing out on that kill!

Old 07-01-2019   #97
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Sneaky spent all day yesterday hanging around that bush where he had tried to kill a bird a couple days ago, keeping an eye on it!

Old 07-01-2019   #98
mpaniagua

Quote:
...:^

My older cat (10yrs) seems to have this habit, not sure if due to old age or due to overeating. Sometimes hairball treatments (those found on Walmart that seems like small lube tubes) seems to help.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 07-01-2019   #99
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Got a photo of Sneaky sitting like a loaf of bread yesterday evening. He never sat like that until very recently. That way of sitting, with the front paws tucked under the cat's body, is usually only done by cats who feel very safe and secure where they are.

Old 07-01-2019   #100
peterm1

Quote:

Got a photo of Sneaky sitting like a loaf of bread yesterday evening. He never sat like that until very recently. That way of sitting, with the front paws tucked under the cat's body, is usually only done by cats who feel very safe and secure where they are.
Very nice - the little dude probably can't believe its luck after years of poor treatment by its previous owners. Does he let you tickle his tummy? When this happens you really know he's comfortable with you.

BTW I read recently that to relax cats when they are gazing at you, you should look at them and slowly blink leaving you eyes closed for a few seconds instead of looking too intently at them. If the cat reciprocates it means they are relaxed and happy. Turns out that cats apparently do not like people (or other cats) staring at them too insistently as they see this as predatory. The slow blink is how they signal their comfort to one another and if you do the same they with them read it the same way as they would if another cat were doing it. Seems to work with my little dude.

Old 07-01-2019   #101
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Very nice - the little dude probably can't believe its luck after years of poor treatment by its previous owners. Does he let you tickle his tummy? When this happens you really know he's comfortable with you.

BTW I read recently that to relax cats when they are gazing at you, you should look at them and slowly blink leaving you eyes closed for a few seconds instead of looking too intently at them. If the cat reciprocates it means they are relaxed and happy. Turns out that cats apparently do not like people (or other cats) staring at them too insistently as they see this as predatory. The slow blink is how they signal their comfort to one another and if you do the same they with them read it the same way as they would if another cat were doing it. Seems to work with my little dude.

He'll let me rub his belly most of the time.

The eye contact thing is common with a lot of animals. Dogs are the same. They see it as a threat; not predatory, but more of a challenge to fight over territory. Dogs actually like making eye contact with people they like, but if you stare into their eyes, it scares them. cats are like that as well.

Old 07-06-2019   #102
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Decided to check the oil in my car this morning. Popped the hood, pulled the dipstick; and Sneaky jumps up and sits on the air cleaner box next to the engine and watches.

I wipe the dipstick, put it back in and pull it back out. Oil level is good, put the dipstick back in, Sneaky jumps down, I shut the hood.

Can't do anything without the boss watching!

Old 07-07-2019   #103
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Decided to check the oil in my car this morning. Popped the hood, pulled the dipstick; and Sneaky jumps up and sits on the air cleaner box next to the engine and watches.

I wipe the dipstick, put it back in and pull it back out. Oil level is good, put the dipstick back in, Sneaky jumps down, I shut the hood.
Uh, you might wanna keep a good eye open as to where he goes around your car. I've heard horror stories of cats crawling into car engine compartments, like by the fan and belts and pulleys and such, and getting badly injured when somebody starts the car!

Old 07-07-2019   #104
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
Uh, you might wanna keep a good eye open as to where he goes around your car. I've heard horror stories of cats crawling into car engine compartments, like by the fan and belts and pulleys and such, and getting badly injured when somebody starts the car!

They do it a lot in the winter to keep warm. When I was a kid, my grandpa lived out in the country and had more than 20 cats. He lost a couple that way, and later began to check the car before starting it when the weather was cold.

Sneaky always runs over to me when he is outside as soon as I step outside my house, so I don't think I have to worry about him.

Old 07-07-2019   #105
Benjamin Marks

I wonder whether Sneaky could be a Siberian? This is Sasha:

Siberian and hypoalergenic.

She has the same ear tufts and a similar tail and ruff to Sneaky. Great cats. Very people-focused. Sasha is good company and eats all our mice.

Old 07-07-2019   #106
Benjamin Marks

Sasha knows a good thing when she sees it:

Old 07-07-2019   #107
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Marks View Post
I wonder whether Sneaky could be a Siberian? This is Sasha:

Siberian and hypoalergenic.

She has the same ear tufts and a similar tail and ruff to Sneaky. Great cats. Very people-focused. Sasha is good company and eats all our mice.

Sneaky does look a lot like your beautiful cat. Some have suggested that he might be a Maine Coon, but he isn't. I had a Maine Coon when I was younger, and Sneaky doesn't have the long tufts of fur between his foot pads on the bottoms of his paws, which all Maine Coons have, and Maine Coons have longer hair in their ears. He looks more like your Siberian.

Old 07-08-2019   #108
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

lovely commanders.
thanks to all of you, for giving me more than one big smile.

cheers.
sebastian

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 07-25-2019   #109
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Early this morning, I open the door to look for Sneaky. He had been out all night. He comes running in and demands food. I put a can on food in a bowl and we go back outside. He eats. That's when I notice that he has left me a GIFT right in front of the door! See it in the photo above?

Here's a closer view:

Of course, he didn't eat it. Maybe he thinks mice are good enough for the human slaves to eat, so he brought it to me. He was hungry this morning, but held out for the canned cat food he wanted.

Old 07-25-2019   #110
CMur12

What a cat!

Chris, am I reading between the lines that Sneaky is now allowed to stay inside when he wants to?

(You said before that his flea treatment had to be completed first.)

- Murray

Old 07-25-2019   #111
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
What a cat!

Chris, am I reading between the lines that Sneaky is now allowed to stay inside when he wants to?

(You said before that his flea treatment had to be completed first.)

- Murray

Yeah he comes in a lot, but he tends to get into trouble if not supervised so I put him back out when he starts getting in trouble. A lot of times, he'll ask to go out, too if he's been inside awhile. He likes prowling through my flower beds and bushes, but he rarely leaves my yard.

Old 07-25-2019   #112
CMur12

It's interesting, considering his past, that he now stays so close to home.

- Murray

Old 07-25-2019   #113
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
It's interesting, considering his past, that he now stays so close to home.

- Murray

Its home!

When we go places, he is always sitting in the driveway or sitting in front of the door waiting for us to return.

Old 07-25-2019   #114
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

Quote:

this one looks like he would be accepting praise now.

:-)

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Old 07-26-2019   #115
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I was outside in the morning taking pictures of the clouds in the sky a couple weeks ago, while Sneaky followed me around to supervise. He finally got tired of being ignored while I worked, so he laid down across my feet so that I couldn't walk around anymore!

Old 07-26-2019   #116
MrFujicaman

I think cats do this as a "See ! I'm earning my keep around here!" thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastel View Post
this one looks like he would be accepting praise now.

:-)

Old 07-29-2019   #117
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
I think cats do this as a "See ! I'm earning my keep around here!" thing

Yep. And this morning, I found a dead bird in my driveway. I suspect that my furry little serial killer had a paw in that murder.

A huge vulture, as big as a Canada Goose, came along and ate it later!

Old 08-02-2019   #118
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

New photo of Sneaky! I shot this early in the morning a few days ago. Sneaky went back outside after he ate breakfast and stretched out on the driveway. He laid like that a long time, looking at me.

Old 08-02-2019   #119
peterm1

Quote:
Yep. And this morning, I found a dead bird in my driveway. I suspect that my furry little serial killer had a paw in that murder.

A huge vulture, as big as a Canada Goose, came along and ate it later!
A small bell on a collar around Sneaky's neck will fix those bird murdering inclinations. At least for a time; being sneaky he will eventually learn to move smoothly so as not to ring the bell and alert his prey. At least mine did.

Old 08-03-2019   #120
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
A small bell on a collar around Sneaky's neck will fix those bird murdering inclinations. At least for a time; being sneaky he will eventually learn to move smoothly so as not to ring the bell and alert his prey. At least mine did.

With cats, murder is a feature, not a bug!

Like you said, he is sneaky and he has shown me that he is very smart and manipulative. The bell would be a waste of money, he'd defeat it quickly.