Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Lovely SLR systems for little - Olympus OM2n and lenses
Old 09-03-2019   #1
CharlesDAMorgan

Lovely SLR systems for little - Olympus OM2n and lenses

I took my OM2n out of aetivation over the weekend. It failed to respond to being switched on, and the finder was blocked. After an initial panic, fitting new batteries had it working perfectly, the blockage being the locked up mirror. I thought it should work in manual mode, but I couldn't remember how.

It's no bigger than an M and the lenses are compact. I had one as a teenager and while I chopped that in for my first Nikon, I'd kept my 50mm f1.8 and my 28mm f2.8, still with the original Hoya filters, so the lenses are immaculate. I'd added a 35mm f2.8 and a, unused still, 135mm. I'd always been happy with the colour rendering, but really had not shot much black and white.

I'd recalled the 35mm f2.8 being rather soft, but then I remembered I'd only shot it in the kitchen of a restaurant in low light wide open, so I thought I'd test it with Tmax400 at 200 in Perceptol 1:2 - my favourite for bringing out detail and sharpness.

It got a fair amount of love from people chatting at a car meet, and I liked using it, I just used aperture priority and had no alarms about exposure.

For the system I have, you could buy that all for nigh on £350 (probably now about US$10! with the current exchange rate). The lenses are lovely, OK the shutter dial position takes some getting used to, the aperture position on the lens is like a Leica and the viewfinder is bright and clear, and the display still bright and intuitive. Apart from the cracked hot shoe, it looks like it's 10 not 40 years old!

One of those systems that seems to be out of the limelight yet takes gorgeous photos. Frankly, for those on a budget, what better?

The Prescott MkII Landie - 50mm f1.8 at about f4

Tea, buns and crossword at Huffkins - 50mm f1.8 at f2.8

Rose amid the pyrocantha thorns - 35mm f2.8 at f2.8

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 09-03-2019   #2
Brad Bireley

Love that Land Rover!

Also love my OM-1 & OM-2S with 50mm f/1.4, 28mm f/3.5, & 100mm f/2.8!

Old 09-03-2019   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

Nice! Adding the 100mm and the 50 1.4 and the total cost is still below that of an M rangefinder without lens.

The value and results these offer are stunning!

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

Old 09-03-2019   #4
mpaniagua

Great photos Charles.

It is a well know fact that Yoshihisa Maitani admired Leica design and workmanship so no wonder.

One of my favorite lens are the 28 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 and 100 f/2.8. Real compact kit.

Marcelo

Old 09-03-2019   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

If ever I decided to peel back to one camera it would be my OM1 and a handful of Zuiko lenses.

I also love that Landrover.

Old 09-03-2019   #6
zuiko85

Love that second shot, ‘tea and buns’.
And quite frankly, over the years, your OM-2n will require less maintenance than a Leica M. Leicas optics might be brilliant but Zuiko’s are certainly no slouches.

Old 09-03-2019   #7
RoccCity

I love my OM-1. I have the 50mm 1.4, but never use it. I prefer the 1.8 because it’s so compact and gets amazing results. It’s such a fun SLR to shoot.

Old 09-03-2019   #8
CharlesDAMorgan

The Prescott Hill Climb Series II Land Rover is a thing of wonder. It's left outside, self-cleaning and a demonstration of the slow oxidation of aluminium and dirt into a habitat for lichen. I'll take some colour with me next time I'm up.

Old 09-04-2019   #9
gbealnz

Now you've gone and done it Charles, fueled my urge to try another OM.
I have a nice 50/1.4 left over from the last foray, maybe time to try another OM1 or OM4.
Gary

Old 09-04-2019   #10
lawrence

Early last year I caught the OM bug and bought three OM2n in the hope that one of them would work properly, in fact all three work perfectly. I also bought a load of lenses to see which I liked and all are good enough for most purposes with the exception of the 35mm f2.0 which wasn't (I managed to return it on the grounds of a small amount of fungus, which had not been spotted by the seller). I later found a wonderful, though large, Vivitar 35mm f1.9 that gives superb results.

So why the OM2n and not the OM1? Well I tried the OM1 when it came out in the early '70s but really didn't like the shutter dial and lack of any info in the viewfinder. The OM2 solved this problem by putting a very useful exposure compensation dial on the top deck and shutter speeds in the viewfinder, it also takes the same batteries as all my other 35mm cameras.

The OMs are a wonderful compromise between a Leica M and an SLR. Unlike the Nikon FM2s they sound rather nice and are just that much more compact, making them perfect travel cameras. As you say, highly recommended.

Old 09-04-2019   #11
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post

The OMs are a wonderful compromise between a Leica M and an SLR. Unlike the Nikon FM2s they sound rather nice and are just that much more compact, making them perfect travel cameras.
Yes, a very good summary!

I started with an OM10, and thought the addition of manual control to auto that the OM2n offered was worthwhile. By then the OM1 was just a little dated. I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the OM4ti etc as an upgrade over the OM2n.

Not having had the 35mm f2, is it sharp enough wide open Richard? I generally head to the f2.8s but I do a lot of photography inside and pushing film doesn't always get me the shutter speed I need, and I still find the f2.8 a bit soft, however much I work on improving things in the tank!

Old 09-04-2019   #12
seagrove
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Yes, a very good summary!

I started with an OM10, and thought the addition of manual control to auto that the OM2n offered was worthwhile. By then the OM1 was just a little dated. I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the OM4ti etc as an upgrade over the OM2n.
I also started out with an OM-10, bought a second one, added the manual adapter to each and added a series of Tokina PRO zooms along with the Zuiko 1,8/50mm and 2,8/24mm. Then moved up through the OM-2S and finally had a pair of OM-4T bodies with winders added for news shooting. Still miss the excellent metering system of the OM-4 series. Carried a grey card to establish highlight and shadow points then, as long as the light stayed constant, I could shoot with abandon!

Old 09-04-2019   #13
zuiko85

Unlike some, I have found the simplicity of the OM-1 or 1n refreshing. It is still my favorite OM. A feature I considered essential was the interchangeable screens. I love a plain, uncluttered view and have always had either the 1-4 (plain matte) or 1-10 (matte w/grid) screens installed in my cameras.
For wider lenses with a lot of DOF I may often focus by scale in dim light anyway. With 35mm and up with the proper correction on the eyepiece focusing, even on a matte screen has proved viable.

Had a OM2sp that gobbled button cells and my home made solution was to fashion a hand grip that held 2 AAA batts providing 3v and a much longer life.

A few years ago, in a second hand store, stumbled on a OM-4Ti that was ‘jammed’ for $35. Paid the man and when home popped in a couple of fresh S76 batteries which was all the camera needed. After downloading the instructions from the Olympus site I find the camera is still intimidating and generally too complex for my taste.

Old 09-04-2019   #14
CharlesDAMorgan

Silly question, is the metering on the 4ti solely spot, can you just let it be the equivalent of an auto system? (poor choice of words certainly).

Old 09-04-2019   #15
AAlfano

Excellent photos in this thread. I just picked up an OM-1MD with a 50mm f/1.4 silver nose. Still working on my first test roll but loving the compact size and light weight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-04-2019   #16
mpaniagua

Quote:
Silly question, is the metering on the 4ti solely spot, can you just let it be the equivalent of an auto system? (poor choice of words certainly).
It get spots metering when you press the spot button, otherwise is center metering, unless you use highlight/shadow mode, which either over/under expose accordingly.

Spot is mostly used for zone metering. Take multiple spots metering on the areas you are interested and then OM4 will average to all of the spot measures. If I'm not mistake, it let you use either 4 or 6 spot measure to make an average.

Great camera when your light metering is critical.

Marcelo

Old 09-04-2019   #17
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Although i use Nikons and Canons AF SLR for the ease of use, the OM-System remains by far my favourite.

They have given me plenty of great pictures - too many too post them all here. I have the 50 f/1.4, the 28 f/3.5 and the 35 f/2, all great lenses.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 09-04-2019   #18
CharlesDAMorgan

Gorgeous - cameras and photos. I know what you mean about AF, but of my roll only 2 had missed focus, both were close ups and it doesn't take much for me to wobble at f1.8!

Old 09-04-2019   #19
Takkun
Ian M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
It is a well know fact that Yoshihisa Maitani admired Leica design and workmanship so no wonder.
Though I've never actually had the opportunity to see one up close in the flesh (unless you count an OM2000 at Goodwill), I've always deeply appreciated the design and attention to detail of the OM series. Just enough polished chrome to look dressed up, yet minimal enough to be an objet d'art. Looking at the OM-1, I wouldn't have guessed it came out as early as it did, but later in the 70s.

I'm a bit jealous of you lot; If I were to categorize my assortment of cameras as something other than simply 'practical,' it would be 'idiosyncratic'—the M5, the former Canon A-1, and now my Fuji—anything a little offbeat from the archetypal SLR. I think the OM series fits into that with its novel metering and the like.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to start over again from scratch, I'd be building up an OM kit rather than starting with Nikon. Though thats certainly something only a photographer would notice, there's something about the rendering of those lenses I really love, akin to Leica's. All the more versatile with today's mirrorless—digital was the reason I stuck it out with Nikon for so long.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 09-05-2019   #20
donkee

As I prepare to downsize the SLR collection the OM system is what I will keep and build on. The bodies (3) are going in for overhauls to CamTech so that they outlast me (hopefully). I'll keep the Nikon ftn and a Minolta body. I have a bunch of great lenses for the Minolta system and used it for many jobs in my younger days, but everything else can go.....

https://blisslars.tumblr.com/

Old 09-05-2019   #21
CharlesDAMorgan

I shall be re-testing my Minolta stuff soon. I've always found the Rokkor lenses to be superb for colour and I'll give them a go at some black and white to see if I can improve the results using my favourite Tmax400 at 200 in Perceptol.

A 100mm f2.8 arrived today and I dug out a macro lens 80mm which I ordered by mistake and have yet to get the necessary bellows/tubes. The lenses are all so small and I have always loved the looks of it all.

Old 09-05-2019   #22
donkee

Quote:
I shall be re-testing my Minolta stuff soon. I've always found the Rokkor lenses to be superb for colour and I'll give them a go at some black and white to see if I can improve the results using my favourite Tmax400 at 200 in Perceptol.

A 100mm f2.8 arrived today and I dug out a macro lens 80mm which I ordered by mistake and have yet to get the necessary bellows/tubes. The lenses are all so small and I have always loved the looks of it all.
I have a 200mm f2.8 that I used in the old days for newspaper work. It, along with me, took a few hits at sporting events. It has a ding in it so no filters will screw in and the front element has some scratches in the coating but it still works great. I wish I still had my XD-11 black body but that was destroyed in a basement flood. At least I have replacements in the form of an XD-5 and XD-11 chrome bodies. As much as I like them I'll probably be selling them and sticking with an SRT or two. As I age I trust electronic shutters less!

https://blisslars.tumblr.com/

Old 09-05-2019   #23
rfaspen

I always forget about my OM kit... I seem to have about 4 bodies, mostly OM-2n, but there's an OM-4 among them. The lenses are very good except the 35-70 zoom which is too soft for a spoiled person like me. However, my primes are wonderful: the 50/3.5 macro, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 135/2.8, and the oh so lovely 90/2 macro.

I don't use these cameras because they seem too small in my hands -- ergonomics. But all is not lost, I do use the macro lenses on my M240 with great results.

If you find them ergonomic, the OM system is a fantastic value (although some of the lenses command a price). I've thought about finding a grip of some kind to make them more ergonomic, but I have so many other cameras .

Old 09-05-2019   #24
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I have an OM-3 in the cupboard which was a model I lusted after for a while ... spot metering and an extra shutter speed of 1/2000 They are quite hard to find and command a fairly high price.

Old 09-07-2019   #25
wpb

In Yoshihisa Maitani's defense, the shutter ring was placed to allow all the camera's settings to be seen in a single glance (aperture, focus and shutter speed). As someone who started with an OM-2n (in 1981) I found other cameras to have a less "tidy" layout. I still own the camera to this day but have just purchased an OM-4 to start using the lenses again.

Old 09-07-2019   #26
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

I've been keeping an eye out for a OM-1 for a while after foolishly passing up an opportunity to get one at a good price a couple of years ago. I've had a FTL for some years and was interested to compare the OM-1 to its predecessor. Also Jane Bown used one for many years and I've wondered what it was about them that kept her with them for so long.

Late last month I stopped at a local recycle store which also recovers usable items from a landfill site. The manager, knowing I always have an eye out for film cameras mentioned some had just got to the shop off the tip face where they had been thrown away with some rubbish—did I want to take a look? I looked—and came home with these three cameras and a couple of extra items.

From top: OM-1 & Zuiko 50mm f/1.8; OM-4 & Zuiko 24mm f/2.8; Yashica Campus RF.

The OM-4 is almost mint but was locked up. On getting it home I removed the battery cover, installed a new battery into the pristine, but previously empty battery compartment and it sprang into life. It appears to function perfectly and I've just run a test roll of APX 100 through it. The 24mm had the most superficial layer of fungus behind the filter on its front glass which has cleaned off without any trace of it remaining.

The OM-1 was only slightly more problematic. It had an issue with the shutter release not self returning that I quickly sorted out. I've yet to install a battery into it but expect the meter to work. There's a little deterioration visible in the pentaprism, nowhere near enough to prevent use. I believe I have a parts OM series body in stock, so I'm hoping the prism from that can be a donor.

The 50mm Zuiko lens belonging to the OM-1 had rather more haze and fungus present than the 24mm. I stripped the optics completely. Some haze in the middle glass resisted conventional lens cleaners. Happily, gently swabbing the affected glass with a cotton tip with a trace of acetone removed it completely. It's also been stripped down to have its helicals re-greased. More care than usual was needed to thread a couple of lens mountings into place cleanly without cross-threading but otherwise I found it to be a very easy lens to work on. It's fairly conventional; although, unlike many German lenses I've repaired, the makers name ring is not just decorative, but is also the means of retaining the front filter ring and aperture control ring in position. Here's an image of the front and middle optics awaiting final cleaning and re-installation. The rear optics came out after the pic.

Both OM cameras came with good original ever ready cases and there was also an additional focus screen, small dedicated Olympus flash for the OM-4, and an OM Zuiko 35–105mm zoom. Total cost was well under AUD $100.

Old 09-08-2019   #27
David Hughes
David Hughes

I don't know what the rest of you think but I prefer the OM-1's and OM-2's; if you've SLR experience you can use them without the instruction book* as they are straight forward cameras. The 1's being purely manual and the 2's giving you sensible choices.

I shouldn't have said "sensible" but can't think of another word. The first point is that the OM-4 (my one) has a different VF display and it takes a bit of getting used to; secondly, it has a brilliant (on paper) system built in that lets you take several spot readings and it will average them out in camera and you press the button etc, etc.

In theory then you can take 2 spot readings of your young lady's face, one of the background, one of her summer dress and - perhaps - one of her dad with his shotgun and it sorts it all out for you. But I see that as taking time compared to the classic adding of 1½ EV's (OM-1 and OM-2)) or just pushing the spot button (all the other, perhaps).

So a good idea that many will appreciate but it leaves me cold.

Regards, David

* My OM-4 came with two instruction books "A" and "B" and goes to over 136 pages due to the odd page numbering style.

Old 09-08-2019   #28
kuvvy

I’ve hung on to my OM1 and just the 50/1.4. Recently sold some nice lenses: 24/2.8, 35/2 & 85/2. Great lenses but didn’t see much use.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29
David Hughes
David Hughes

Ooops, I forgot to add that there's a serious source of info about the OM range here:-

https://esif.world-traveller.org/om-sif/bodygroup.htm

Regards, David

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30
RoccCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvvy View Post
I’ve hung on to my OM1 and just the 50/1.4. Recently sold some nice lenses: 24/2.8, 35/2 & 85/2. Great lenses but didn’t see much use.

Paul
Those 85mm f2’s fetch a pretty penny these days. They are tack sharp and take gorgeous shots though. Miss mine.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #31
skopar steve

Great score Brett!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopar steve View Post
Great score Brett!
Steve, I am astonished that it was all being thrown out with the trash. So wasteful not to pass it on to someone who might want it. Fortunately the refuse site monitors deliveries and actively recycles usable items. My good luck I guess.