Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Keeping track of films in cameras
Old 08-19-2019   #1
CharlesDAMorgan

Once again with my collection of older cameras I find I can't remember which film is loaded in which. Obviously none of them has that little window or the frame at the back for the film label.

Suffering from early morning brain near dead-ness, I'd love to hear what systems others use to keep track.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 08-19-2019   #2
maddoc
... likes film.

Folded paper in the hot shoe .... I used to put a piece of tape onto the bottom plate (where I wrote the film and E.I.) of my black chrome cameras but don`t do this with the black paint cameras.

flickr
pBase

Old 08-19-2019   #3
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
Once again with my collection of older cameras I find I can't remember which film is loaded in which. Obviously none of them has that little window or the frame at the back for the film label.

Suffering from early morning brain near dead-ness, I'd love to hear what systems others use to keep track.

Same problem here! My solution is to tear off the film box end-flap, and cut it down to size, to fit into the hotshoe.

If the identifying detail on the end-flap is too large to display anything meaningful in the area of the hotshoe, I simply reverse the piece of card, and write the details on the reverse. It does mean some very small writing, though!

This works a treat for me, but probably won't suit anyone who uses flash!

Old 08-19-2019   #4
CharlesDAMorgan

I tend to have viewfinders floating around on my rangefinders, so that rules out the hotshoe, but tape underneath seems very sensible.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

Old 08-19-2019   #5
tbhv55

Quote:
Once again with my collection of older cameras I find I can't remember which film is loaded in which.

Of course, an alternative approach might be to own fewer cameras, so that you are able to remember which film is in which camera. (Just don't expect me to take my own advice! )

Old 08-19-2019   #6
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
Of course, an alternative approach might be to own fewer cameras, so that you are able to remember which film is in which camera. (Just don't expect me to take my own advice! )
Heretic! Burn him!

The embarrassing thing is I loaded the two Leicas I'm taking out today only last night, and still forgot.

I've lost count of the 35mm cameras floating around, but I'm glad to say I've only got 6 6x6 cameras, so they aren't too difficult.

Help me...

Old 08-19-2019   #7
dourbalistar

Not the most elegant solution, but I use a Google Doc spreadsheet to track my film. I note what film I have loaded in which camera, when I loaded the film, exposure index, whether it's still in the camera or in the developing queue, plus a column for miscellaneous notes. It's also my developing log, mostly for developers, dilutions, and times.

Using Google Docs gives me mobile access on my smartphone, in case I need to make notes on the go. It works for me, but may not be the best solution for those who prefer to be less connected or more averse to smartphones.

flickr

Old 08-19-2019   #8
tbhv55

Quote:
Heretic! Burn him!

The embarrassing thing is I loaded the two Leicas I'm taking out today only last night, and still forgot.

I've lost count of the 35mm cameras floating around, but I'm glad to say I've only got 6 6x6 cameras, so they aren't too difficult.

Help me...

Reading this post reassures me that my 'collecting problem' isn't as bad as I thought........!!

I, too, have lost count of the 35mm cameras, but at least I only have one 6x6.

Old 08-19-2019   #9
Montag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Not the most elegant solution, but I use a Google Doc spreadsheet to track my film. I note what film I have loaded in which camera, when I loaded the film, exposure index, whether it's still in the camera or in the developing queue, plus a column for miscellaneous notes. It's also my developing log, mostly for developers, dilutions, and times.

Using Google Docs gives me mobile access on my smartphone, in case I need to make notes on the go. It works for me, but may not be the best solution for those who prefer to be less connected or more averse to smartphones.
Same here. I have used a notebook but a spreadsheet is much better, less to carry and I can see how much I use each camera, film, developer etc over time and just manage stock a bit easier. (Mmm, pivot tables)

I give each roll a unique number and write this on the canister for 35mm.

I do always put cardboard in the hot|cold shoe but it falls out sometimes and not all cameras have them anyway.

I wouldn't cope without writing it down somewhere, even if it was just one camera - did I push this roll? Was it HP5 or Delta? And so on.

Old 08-19-2019   #10
tbhv55

Oh, no... I've just remembered that I actually have two 6x6s........

Old 08-19-2019   #11
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Oh, no... I've just remembered that I actually have two 6x6s........
Still a lightweight...

Old 08-19-2019   #12
tbhv55

Quote:
Still a lightweight...

Yup - I've gotta hand it to ya!

Old 08-19-2019   #13
tbhv55

Quote:
Still a lightweight...

If I were to rummage around in various cupboards, drawers, attic areas, etc., I'm fairly sure I could find my old Kodak Brownie 127.

Would that score me any........ <ahem>........ Brownie points?

Old 08-19-2019   #14
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
If I were to rummage around in various cupboards, drawers, attic areas, etc., I'm fairly sure I could find my old Kodak Brownie 127.

Would that score me any........ <ahem>........ Brownie points?
Oh no...

Old 08-19-2019   #15
CharlesDAMorgan

Thanks also for the computer solutions. Apart from my own technophobia, I think an analogue solution for this one is more in keeping for me!

Old 08-19-2019   #16
Huss

I use www.filmtrackr.com

It is a fantastic product. And free.

Old 08-19-2019   #17
dourbalistar

Quote:
Thanks also for the computer solutions. Apart from my own technophobia, I think an analogue solution for this one is more in keeping for me!
Well, then Analogbook or Shoot Film Co.'s PhotoMemo notebook might work for you.

flickr

Old 08-20-2019   #18
PunkFunkDunk

I use the Google Keep app which is very handy and always at reach on my phone. I simply tap out camera, lens, load date, film type and EI along with my film archive numbering system. The benefit of the app is that you can jot down whatever you want in whatever format (it is basically a digital Post-It note), rather than conforming to a format that might not work for you. It also works offline (updating when back on wifi) and any input across your devices update automatically so no confusion.

Old 08-20-2019   #19
largedrink

I use a notepad that I keep in my camera bag. I like to write down technical details for some shots for future reference, so I just note down the film as well each time I load (unless I forget, which I do sometimes - the worst time I shot the last half of a roll unsure whether it was colour or monochrome)

Old 08-20-2019   #20
donkee

tape on the bottom then when done the tape goes back on the cassette since I bulk load, for processing. Medium format I have a Bronica SQ series the backs have the film slot thingy, the mamiya TLRs get tape, and the 4x5/5x7 cameras get tape labels.

https://blisslars.tumblr.com/

Old 08-20-2019   #21
Ccoppola82

I just look at the ISO dial and cross my fingers. The only problem I have now is my hasselblad backs, so I've resorted to ripping the box and sliding it into the little holder for it on the back.

Instagram
Coppola_Art

Old 08-20-2019   #22
Out to Lunch

No Tech Solution....write it down on a piece of paper...take a pic....the camera, lens, and film. Dead easy and it cost you one frame. Peace. Peter

Old 08-20-2019   #23
Solinar
Analog Preferred

With too many cameras and not being able to finish a roll in one session, I use a piece blue masking tape at the bottom of the camera, with the date, plus the initials D400 for Delta 400 or TX400 for Tri-X.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and a Voigtlander Vito II
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 08-20-2019   #24
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

When I was foolishly shooting only one camera & film I had no problem. Now I either put the film box end in the cold shoe, or paper tape on the base. I need to get some better paper tape, what I have now is "greasy".

Old 08-20-2019   #25
Godfrey
somewhat colored

For any camera that I do not finish the film load during a day's session, I stick a little piece of artist's tape on it and pencil what film is in it before putting it back in the cabinet.

Artist's tape is white tape that is formulated for temporary use, and peels off easily without leaving any residue.

G

Old 08-20-2019   #26
CharlesDAMorgan

Low tack masking tape is what I'd think of here. It looks to be the lowest tech with least admin, and on bottom loading Leicas and other rangefinders, perfectly located.

Time to get into the habit!

Old 08-20-2019   #27
presspass
filmshooter

Here's a very simple solution - just shoot one type and speed of film. While I go back and forth with Kentmere, Tri-X, and HP5+, all are ISO 400 black and white. That's how I keep track, except when I decide to push or pull the rolls. Then all bets are off.

Old 08-20-2019   #28
CharlesDAMorgan

I've pretty much standardised my black and white to TMax 400, but I will shoot that at mostly three speeds - 200, 400-800, and 1600, but I do also use Tmax P3200. Plus of course colour, which again is mostly at 400 but may vary on light levels and whether I pull or push it.

Old 08-20-2019   #29
Takkun
Ian M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
No Tech Solution....write it down on a piece of paper...take a pic....the camera, lens, and film. Dead easy and it cost you one frame. Peace. Peter
Took me a second to realize you meant with a phone, or at least a different camera. Very confused how that would help.

Another masking tape user, which horrified another Leica owner I met who appreciated the M5's historic value but couldn't fathom how I defaced such an antique (they had gaffer's over the Red Dot).

Like others I standardize on the same two ISO100 and 400 films, but more to discern BW from chromes. Never had a 35 with one of those little memo holders, and the cutout window on newer cameras is useless when you bulk-roll.

As for 120--I tend to buy in 5 packs and lose the little box ends before I finish. I keep a very tiny Rhodia notebook in my bag and slip a scrap in when needed.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 08-20-2019   #30
AAlfano

These might help:

https://www.cameradactyl.com/buttergrip/tabholders

Haven't tried them yet myself but will probably order a couple in the near future.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-20-2019   #31
CharlesDAMorgan

I'd be very wary of putting anything adhesive on to my original Leica Vulcanite, but for a Zorki, what a good idea!

Old 08-20-2019   #32
Takkun
Ian M.

Quote:
I'd be very wary of putting anything adhesive on to my original Leica Vulcanite, but for a Zorki, what a good idea!
Oh for sure. My original Vulcanite crumbled within a day of getting my hands on it. I stick the tape on the baseplate--should have mentioned that.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 08-20-2019   #33
madNbad

You could use a calendar big enough to make notations. On the day you load a camera, mark down which camera and the type of film. It is totally analog.

Old 08-20-2019   #34
CharlesDAMorgan

Perhaps an Advent calendar with a roll of film a day instead of (or in addition to) the sweets. I like that idea.

Old 08-20-2019   #35
Huss

www.filmtrackr.com

www.filmtrackr.com

Old 08-20-2019   #36
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

I bulk load a lot, too, and use white tape. It goes around the film canister when I load the film, then on the bottom of the camera when it's loaded, then back around the canister once shot. I use white artist's paper tape, which is acid free (not that it matters for this application...) and has fairly low tack, so it doesn't leave residue on the camera. I write the film stock on one end when I load the film, and leave enough room for me to note the ISO (or E.I. used if it's a film stock I'm likely to push or pull) and other notes like date or any brief exposure notes. I'll admit that if I'm working fast I don't bother to move the tape around; but for those times when I shoot only a few frames here and there, it's really useful to remember what film is in which camera and have some shooting notes so I don't end up with pictures that need to be processed very differently on the same roll.

Old 08-20-2019   #37
joe bosak

I used to keep tabs on a sheet of paper with columns for film type, speed i was shooting at, dates purchased/loadedunloaded, whether they had been sent for processing etc. That was before digital.

Nowadays i shoot HP5 at box speed, not much else, and not enough to need to keep notes, and I process myself at the moment.

Old 08-20-2019   #38
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

My solution isn't perfect, but serves me well.

Every time I put the camera down, I park the shutter speed dial to one number below what the film speed is.

So for 400 speed film, I'll park it to 1/250 (or 320), for 100 speed I'll use 1/80 and for 800 speed I'll use 1/500 (or 1/640).

It doesn't help me remember if I am using black and while or colour, and there is the odd time I forget to do the setting, but mostly it works when I pick up the camera for the first time in months.

Edit: this is for my cameras that don't have an ISO setting, obviously.

Old 08-20-2019   #39
Steve M.

I only shoot Tri-X. Now, I never have this problem. I also am down to just 2 cameras, and one of them has a film window peep hole thing.

Old 08-20-2019   #40
JoeLopez

Quote:

I use a field notes notebook when I do not have the film memo holder to take advantage of.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram