Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

a compact SWC digital - Voigtländer 10mm on Leica CL
Old 06-16-2019   #1
Godfrey
somewhat colored

a compact SWC digital - Voigtländer 10mm on Leica CL

The Hasselblad SWC has been my gold standard in what I like in an ultra-wide camera for many years. Nowadays, I appreciate an all digital solution for the ease in use and the post processing options, but it proves difficult to get the kind of imaging that the lovely Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* provides.

I've also got a thing going where the equipment I want to carry must be light and compact because I spend so much of my time out and about riding a bicycle nowadays. Because of this, the Leica CL (digital) has become my standard camera in so many ways, generally fitted with Leica R or M mount lenses.

Well, the small format requires a very short focal length lens to achieve the SWC's 73x73 degree angle of view when cropped square, and there are few of these around. I decided to give the Voigtländer Hyper-Wide 10mm f/5.6 a try; the 10mm nets approximately 77x77 degree AoV cropped square so it's quite close. The lens arrived two days ago; I had the chance to carry it on my bicycle ride Saturday morning and do some testing.

Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6
ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/100

Some preliminary testing proved to me that:
  • The CL with M Adapter L mount adapter proves to be right on the money with mount registration. This is important because with a 10mm f/5.6 lens, TTL viewing/focusing is mostly silly unless you're working right up at the closest focusing distance provided by the lens mount.
  • Diffraction means that although the lens can stop down to f/22, you're tossing most of its resolution down the tubes once you pass f/11. It looks like the best performing lens opening is between f/8 and f/11, there's little change between f/5.6 and f/8 anyway.
  • A small amount of lateral chromatic aberration is there, but easily eliminated by nearly any image processing tools these days. Longitudinal chromatic aberration is very low, and resolution holds right to the corners and edges of the APS-C format (haven't done any testing on FF yet). Flare resistance also seems very good.

ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/160

Beyond that, the CL + V10mm proves to be handily sized, light, and ergonomically very nice ... better than the WATE, to me, and certainly a huge lot less to cart about than the CL+Super-Elmar-R 15mm. I haven't done comparisons yet, but I'm curious to see the differences when I get to that.

By and large, I'm cautiously optimistic that this lens will complete my Leica CL kit nicely and provide that "mini-digital SWC" I've been seeking. And yes, I know that the native Leica TL-11-23mm is another very very fine lens that would do nearly the same, but it's three times the cost, much bulkier, difficult to get at present, and... well, I just don't really like zoom lenses all that much.

enjoy
G

Old 06-16-2019   #2
Timmyjoe

Very cool Godfrey. Thanks for sharing with us.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 06-16-2019   #3
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Very nice! The CL doesn’t do native squares tho does it? I ask as I have a hard time seeing the square within a rectangle.

Old 06-16-2019   #4
raid
Dad Photographer

Cool results, Godfrey.
The SWC gives a 21mm view, right?
Which coverage does your CL give with a 10mm lens?
I use the SWC with film, of course, and I am experimenting with the Hologon 16mm on the M8 for a 21mm view due to the smaller M8 sensor. Your CV lens is modern and it was designed for digital cameras, I assume. My combo gives interesting looking results. I need to study your results to get a better feel for the attempted SWC replication.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-16-2019   #5
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Very nice! The CL doesn’t do native squares tho does it? I ask as I have a hard time seeing the square within a rectangle.
There's no 'in camera' formatting adjustment to show a square. However, if you turn on the grid display, you have frame lines at 33% intervals across the frame, which makes it pretty easy to frame square and just shift sideways to center that square, if you need that.

G

Old 06-16-2019   #6
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Cool results, Godfrey.
I use the SWC with film, of course, and I am experimenting with the Hologon 16mm on the M8 for a 21mm view due to the smaller M8 sensor. Your CV lens is modern and it was designed for digital cameras, I assume. My combo gives interesting looking results. I need to study your results to get a better feel for the attempted SWC replication.
Hi Raid,

Thanks!

Using Rui Salgueiro's on-line field-of-view calculator shows the Hasselblad SWC with Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* with these specs:
Width = 56 mm, Length = 56 mm, Diagonal = 79.196 mm
f - Hor - Vert - Diag
38.0 - 72.7687 - 72.7687 - 92.3595
A 21mm lens on 35mm (FF) format provides the same diagonal, but completely different image proportions.
Width = 24 mm, Length = 36 mm, Diagonal = 43.2666 mm
f - Hor - Vert - Diag
21.0 - 81.2026 - 59.4898 - 91.7021
So cropped square, 21mm is only going to give you 59x59 degrees, nowhere near the same feel as the SWC. The closest match is about a 16-17mm lens. On the CL's APS-C cropped square, the Voigtländer 10mm is quite close as well:
Width = 16 mm, Length = 16 mm, Diagonal = 22.6274 mm
f - Hor - Vert - Diag
10.0 - 77.3196 - 77.3196 - 97.0541
Of course, on these small formats you're never going to get the kind of subject isolation via focus zone that you can with a 38/4.5 lens on 56x56 format, but I can work with that. The resulting 16 mPixel image file is large enough for my printing needs. The remaining piece of the puzzle is getting the Biogon's superb edge and corner resolution and rectilinear correction—and that's where I'm the most pleased with the Voigtländer 10mm performance on APS-C. It is really very tight on both specs given the format.

I haven't tried it on FF format yet, I hear it's darn good even there, but the CL is my primary target body for this lens and it looks like it actually outperforms both the WATE and the Super-Elmar-R 15 on FF in some respects ... possibly the result of the CL's outstanding sensor.

G

Old 06-16-2019   #7
shawn

Quote:
Cool results, Godfrey.
When comparing against different aspect ratios I find it easiest to just look at vertical or horizontal FOV. Whichever one you aren't cropping In this case vertical would be best as you are optimizing vertical resolution and cropping horizontal to 1:1. On full frame and cropping to 1:1 you would need around a 16mm lens. A 15mm would be 77 degrees vertical and a 17mm would be about 70 degrees vertically.

If cropping vertically (for wider AR) then look at horizontal FOVs.

https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/fov-tables

Shawn

Old 06-16-2019   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The key is that it's the SWC's very wide H and V angle of views coupled with the square aspect ratio, as well as the stunning performance of the Biogon 38mm, that give its wide angle photographs such a unique look. The 10mm on the CL and the Super-Elmar-R 15mm on the SL both seem to hit that look. Curiously, the WATE @16mm on the SL or M-D 262/M-P 240 technically performs better in some ways than the SER15 but doesn't quite have the same look as the Biogon no matter what I did to try to simulate the SWC.

I can fit the SER15 on the M-D but then it's purely scale focus ... I have to check the registration carefully for how well it hits the infinity mark at the set index. (The M-P 240 or an M10 series camera would be no problem due to the EVF option.)

I'm pretty jazzed that the Voigtländer 10mm hits it right on the CL. The slight additional FoV makes hand-held work a little less demanding because you can correct up to 2° of rotation and still come away with the SWC field of view. And the V10 is such a small, light weight lens too.

G

Old 06-17-2019   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

I used a 16mm (on FF) with an M8, which gives a cropped view of the 16mm lens. Isn't this view wide enough to "resemble" a SWC look? It is not a 21mm FF.

Godfrey said:

A 21mm lens on 35mm (FF) format provides the same diagonal, but completely different image proportions.
f - Hor - Vert - Diag
So cropped square, 21mm is only going to give you 59x59 degrees, nowhere near the same feel as the SWC. The closest match is about a 16-17mm lens. On the CL's APS-C cropped square, the Voigtländer 10mm is quite close as well:
f - Hor - Vert - Diag

Old 06-17-2019   #10
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The M8 format is 27x18 mm. Plugging the numbers into the AoV calculator I linked to above:
Width = 18 mm, Length = 27 mm, Diagonal = 32.45 mm
f - Hor - Vert - Diag
16.0 - 80.3120 - 58.7155 - 90.8000
So you're making 59x59° squares, about the same as a 21mm lens on FF, not 72x72°+ squares. Whether that's close enough to 'resemble' the SWC look is a judgement call only you can make for yourself.

Personally, it's not close enough for me to be a Hasselblad SWC emulation. Of course, you can make great photographs with it! That's up to your creativity and vision. I've done wide squares with everything from a 35mm eqFOV down...

You're working with the Hologon 16, right? It's a lovely lens ... how closely its rendering approaches the SWC's Biogon 38 is an interesting question. I had one of them on a Contax G2 in the middle 1990s and found it fun but a bit difficult to work with due to the lens's very very short physical length—too easy to get my fingers into the edges of the frame!

G

Quote:
I used a 16mm (on FF) with an M8, which gives a cropped view of the 16mm lens. Isn't this view wide enough to "resemble" a SWC look? It is not a 21mm FF.

Godfrey said:

Quote:
f - Hor - Vert - Diag
f - Hor - Vert - Diag

Old 06-17-2019   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

A few more photos from my first outing on Saturday.

All with the Leica CL + Voigtlander Hyper-Wide 10mm f/5.6

enjoy!
G

Old 06-17-2019   #12
lynnb

Nice results Godfrey!
Flickr

Old 06-17-2019   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

Yes, the posted images look really cool.

Old 06-18-2019   #14
Dogman

Love the look, Godfrey. I've always loved the look of SWC images although I've never owned one.

I've considered buying the Laowa 9mm to use on my Fuji bodies just to get something akin to the SWC angle of view. I know the optical quality is probably not as good as the Voigtlander but the cost is considerably less, especially for a specialty lens in my case.

Old 06-18-2019   #15
Godfrey
somewhat colored

As I intimated above, getting the SWC look is more than just the angle of view—but that doesn't stop you working with any lens to get lovely photographs. Getting the angle of view of an SWC is the first step, and if a lens produces pleasing rendering qualities that let you express your vision, go for it!

I did a bit of further testing of the Voigtländer 10mm yesterday, this time comparing it used on the Leica M-D and Leica CL. My gosh: how wide the field of view is on a Leica M FF camera! I'm pleased to report that its quality continues to shine even in that use: there's virtually no rectilinear distortion (parallel straight lines remain parallel straight lines across the field), there's a very small amount of lateral chromatic aberration (easily corrected with most image processing software, LR does it instantly), an even tinier amount of longitudinal CA (mostly insignificant even with tree leaves against bright sky), and even at corners and edges of that wide-wide view it holds good resolution and contrast; the wide-angle stretching doesn't allow the image to become smeary and indistinct. Very impressive, and so much like the Zeiss Biogon 38 of the SWC!

You do see the action of the lens profile supplied by LR much more strongly with a FF capture, and much of it has to do with the falloff from center to edge rather than anything else ... with the APS-C capture of the CL, most of the correction is outside the FoV. This really makes the V10 an ideal choice for ultra-ultra wide work on the CL, in my opinion.

Yes, it's a keeper. Hits all the numbers I was looking for just right. And saves me at least 4x its cost in buying alternative gear that I would otherwise hope would do as well...

G

Old 06-18-2019   #16
nlubis

The images looks great. Thanks for sharing, i should look into my own digital SWC.

Old 06-19-2019   #17
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Answering the question, "What's the first thing I did after opening the Voigtländer 10mm box...?"

Leica CL + Voigtländer Hyper-Wide 10mm f/5.6
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/10

Just saw the Hasselblad announcement. Love the modular system ... updated 50mPixel back, new body, compatibility with XCD and V system lenses ... Yeah! Just what I like out of Hasselblad. Whether I buy one or not remains a mystery.

After all, I'm having too much fun with what I just bought to take much too seriously ...

G

Old 06-19-2019   #18
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlubis View Post
The images looks great. Thanks for sharing, i should look into my own digital SWC.
I will be trying to same. For anyone with a Sony A7 series the Voigtlander 15mm is just about the right focal length to give you just a little extra width.

Turn on
Grid Line -> Square Grid

and then use the inner 4x4 grid for 1x1 framing works well. On the A7RII the resulting crops are 28 megapixels.

The other version of that trick is to use the inner two rows of squares for a 3:1 AR. The 15mm works out to be a little wider than the 30mm on the XPAN in panoramic mode. (24 megapixel crops)

Shawn

Old 06-20-2019   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Yes, Shawn: I used the Super-Elmar-R 15mm on FF cameras to achieve similar results. I used to have a user profile in my SL all set up for it, named simply "SWC Mode".

The challenge has been to obtain the same result with the Leica CL, due to its smaller format sensor. I'm pretty darn pleased with this Voigtländer 10mm!

ISO 3200 @ f/8 @ 1/80

enjoy! G

Old 06-21-2019   #20
sepiareverb
genius and moron

“Deep In” is lovely Godfrey, and “Open Box” is totally like an SWC image in vibe. I still do wish Leica wasn’t so attached to the rectangle tho...

Old 06-21-2019   #21
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
“Deep In” is lovely Godfrey, and “Open Box” is totally like an SWC image in vibe. I still do wish Leica wasn’t so attached to the rectangle tho...
Thank you!

I see the problem of square sensors as simply being economics ... The demand is low and it's expensive to jigger fabs to make square sensors.

So with a 2:3 sensor, I just use 2/3 of the sensor area, and with a 3:4 sensor I use 3/4 of the sensor, to get my square. With the Leica CL or SL, this translates roughly to 16 Mpixel—with the Hasselblad X1D it would translate to 39 Mpixel—(the same as when I use a negative copy method of scanning 6x6 film, if I fit the whole negative as tightly as possible to the frame). Experience has shown me that even 16 Mpixel has enough data for me to make prints much larger than I normally do at the quality level I want, so I'm good with that.

Someday I'll buy one of those Hasselblad options (either the X1D or the new CFV50CII back, and 907x body) and get the XCD 21mm lens, I suspect. Have to say that, as cameras go, my Hasselblads have always worked well for me and I have a fairly complete 500CM outfit already. The back, body, and that lens would bring it all to a new life as a digital system.

I could see trading off my M-D and most of my excess Leica gear to fund that. Not all of it, the CL is much more handy for mobility and travel purposes, and works better as a copy camera for small objects and negatives. No one camera (or camera system) does everything best..

G

Old 06-21-2019   #22
raid
Dad Photographer

Yes, but do your images display "The SWC Magic" ?

Old 06-21-2019   #23
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

When I compare the coverage of two formats, I go by the horizontal coverage. So for example from 6 x 6 SWC to 35mm cropped square, we need to use the short (24mm) dimension: (24/54)38mm = 16.9mm. So we would need a 17mm lens; or an 18mm or 16mm, if 17mm is not available.

I use 54mm for my Hasselblad, as that is the width of my Hasselblad negatives as measured with my mm scale. I believe the use of 56mm may be based on the width of Rolleiflex images, which if memory serves are 56mm.

Old 06-21-2019   #24
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
When I compare the coverage of two formats, I go by the horizontal coverage. So for example from 6 x 6 SWC to 35mm cropped square, we need to use the short (24mm) dimension: (24/54)38mm = 16.9mm. So we would need a 17mm lens; or an 18mm or 16mm, if 17mm is not available.

I use 54mm for my Hasselblad, as that is the width of my Hasselblad negatives as measured with my mm scale. I believe the use of 56mm may be based on the width of Rolleiflex images, which if memory serves are 56mm.
(bolded) I presume you meant to write "vertical" rather than "horizontal". Your results are correct for that. A 17mm would emulate the SWC FoV exactly, but there are no M-mount 17mm prime lenses I've found (of course the WATE is a true zoom so you could set the focal length setting to between 16 and 18 and get a 17mm focal length...).

I prefer to get a little more coverage for digital because it has no rebate. If I want to add a little border effect to do what the rebate with film does, I can do so on a digital frame without losing the SWC FoV in the image domain; with an SWC I usually left the rebate in the image. So on FF I've used 15mm and now on APS-C I'm using 10mm, and both net about 77° square format when cropped (about 4° more than the SWC, almost invisible). A little more coverage also gives me the ability to square up the horizon when I'm working hand-held.

BTW: Considering 6x6 format film, 54 vs 56 mm is an insignificant difference in my opinion, but whatever. I've not measured it explicitly, and of course the actual negative coverage on film changes depending on what focal length lens you use since the angle of incidence at the edges/corners of the frame make wide lenses cover a bit more and tele lenses cover a bit less, since the film gate is a couple of mm in front of the recording medium. That difference can vary by more than 2mm depending on the lens involved: Biogon 38mm frames are larger than Distagon 50mm frames on my Hasselblads. (This is one of the reason that frame spacing on film changes a bit depending on the lenses used ... )

I use the Angle of View calculator I mentioned up-thread. It's proven to be very accurate ... and accurate is significantly more than "close enough" for this kind of stuff to my eyes.

G

Old 06-21-2019   #25
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Yes, but do your images display "The SWC Magic" ?
Hi Raid,

I'm not exactly what you're saying "yes" to, but thus far I'm very pleased that my photos with the Leica CL and the Voigtländer 10mm display the "SWC Magic" to my satisfaction, as did my photos with the SL fitted with the Super-Elmar-R 15mm lens. The CL+10 lens configuration is a third smaller and less than half the weight of the SL+15 lens configuration, which is also extremely pleasing.

I bought the WATE for this use with the M-P 240 and SL, but it never pleased me as much as the Super-Elmar-R 15 did, or this Voigtländer 10 does on the smaller format.

The only big difference with either, compared to the real SWC, is that from a DOF perspective, the lens is never open more than f/11 to f/16 since these small format cameras have such short focal lengths to achieve the coverage. It's not a big deal to me because with the SWC itself, I mostly always had the lens at f/11 to f/16 anyway; it's just that there really aren't any options with the small format cameras and an 15/3.5 or a 10/5.6 lens. I've found that I usually set the Voigtländer at f/8 and just leave it there, and with the Super-Elmar-R 15 I used to set it at f/5.6 and leave it there.

Fun stuff indeed.

G

Old 06-21-2019   #26
raid
Dad Photographer

It was a joke, Godfrey. Often, Leica fans mention The Leica Glow. I made up The SWC Magic.

Old 06-21-2019   #27
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
It was a joke, Godfrey. Often, Leica fans mention The Leica Glow. I made up The SWC Magic.
LOL! Well, I always thought the SWC produced Magic ...

G

Old 06-23-2019   #28
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Catching up on a little of my backlog of photos to render ...
All of these with the Leica CL and Voigtländer Hyper-Wide 10mm. Some more heavily processed than my usual.

---
From last Sunday's cycle ride around and in San Jose, it was Father's Day and the restaurant next door to the cafe I stopped at was hosting a private family party. A few minutes after I sat down with my snack/lunch, the party broke and a huge wave of folks spilled onto the sidewalk...

One of the musicians from the party pulled his rental scooter over and sat down to rest a moment. I guess he was tuckered out by the party.

I was having a grand day's ride and pushing ... realized I hadn't eaten since an early breakfast and needed some calories ... so a quick cafe snack for lunch.

Next stop on my ride was Japan Town. I wanted to make a photograph of the memorial there to see how the ultrawide lens would work, but I couldn't help a little beauty shot of my bicycle parked on the corner.

This is really what I stopped for. I've often tried to get a good photograph of the memorial but it's difficult because the ideal place to stand is right in the middle of a busy intersection. The ultrawide lens allowed me to be closer and still capture the whole thing, albeit not with my usual square crop but with the full format, then cropped to a long 16:9 proportion. I decided a diptych was the right way to present it, showing the small but critical element: the date of Executive Order 9066, which gave the U.S. Army the authority to remove civilians from the military zones established in Washington, Oregon, and California during WWII.

Borrowing from https://jacl.org/events/day-of-remembrance/

Quote:
... This Executive Order led to the forced removal and incarceration of some 120,000 Americans of Japanese ancestry living on the West Coast, who had to abandon their jobs, their homes, and their lives to be sent to one of ten concentration camps scattered in desolate, remote regions of the country.

No Japanese Americans were ever charged, much less convicted, of espionage or sabotage against the United States. Yet they were targeted, rounded up, and imprisoned for years, simply for having the "face of the enemy."

Every February, the Japanese American community commemorates Executive Order 9066 as a reminder of the impact the incarceration experience has had on our families, our community, and our country. It is an opportunity to educate others on the fragility of civil liberties in times of crisis, and the importance of remaining vigilant in protecting the rights and freedoms of all.
This has some personal significance to me: One of my good friends from college days spent some twenty-plus years of her life working with the effort to obtain some compensation and restitution for the losses of her mother and father, and the whole Japanese-American community by extension, which were only finalized a little over a decade ago, half a century later.

Whenever I ride through Japan Town and see the memorial standing there in its mute testimony, I think of her and of what it stands for.

onwards! G

Old 06-25-2019   #29
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I really love square photos, and square photos made with the field of view of an ultra wide lens just hit the numbers for me. That's not to say that it is easy ... It always takes a bit of time for my to calibrate my mind to seeing with such a wide field of view.

I carried the camera on yesterday's cycle ride to lunch at Roy's Station Cafe in Japan Town and became inspired when I got there to play with some hand-held still life photos...

All taken with Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6.

Enjoy!
G

Old 06-25-2019   #30
farlymac
PF McFarland

Some wonderful images there, Godfrey. I always wondered how the new CL would handle the 10mm. Makes me wish I had one right now.

PF

Old 06-28-2019   #31
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Thank you! I'm loving this lens...

Here are five more photos... These were taken while I was riding on two different bicycle rides last week. Focusing on trees along the paths.

All: Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6, f/8 aperture setting

What's truly great about this setup is how small and light it is. It fits with tons of room to spare in the Wotancraft Mini Rider and is extremely handy for carrying with me on my bicycle rides. The camera and lens together with the half case weighs 1 lb, 4 ounces.

Another thing I'm pretty delighted with is that all of the photos I've shown so far were made hand-held, and they're very sharp with lovely texture and tonal scale. I know that once I go out for a session and use a tripod too they'll be even better quality!

enjoy!
G

Old 06-28-2019   #32
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I really love square photos, and square photos made with the field of view of an ultra wide lens just hit the numbers for me. That's not to say that it is easy ... It always takes a bit of time for my to calibrate my mind to seeing with such a wide field of view.
G
Great shots. I gave this a try today. Definitely need to work on recalibrating my brain (haven't shot a lot of 1:1) but I did enjoy the wide FOV and square format. A7RII and either the Voigtlander 15mm or Kobalux 21mm.

Shawn

Old 06-28-2019   #33
Godfrey
somewhat colored

A good start, Shawn! The more the merrier! Ultrawide squares are just too much fun not to work on...

This is one of the four exposures I made on today's cycle ride...

Always Another Cafe Stop on the Ride
Caffe Frascati, San Jose 2019
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/60

enjoy!

G

Old 06-30-2019   #34
Godfrey
somewhat colored

My single photo made in Guadalupe River Park on yesterday's cycle ride:

enjoy, G

Old 06-30-2019   #35
Godfrey
somewhat colored

My bicycle ride today brought me right up past this little thing:

ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/160

It's a monstrosity, but eh? It's only obnoxious when they close the trail during events.

enjoy!
G

Old 07-01-2019   #36
Godfrey
somewhat colored

From one of my downtown cafe stops last week...

ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/15

enjoy!
G

Old 07-01-2019   #37
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
(bolded) I presume you meant to write "vertical" rather than "horizontal". Your results are correct for that.

G
No, I meant horizontal, because when comparing formats, in general, I use the horizontal dimension (some folks would rather compare the diagonal of two disparate formats Not I). I think my remarks about that must have been misleading, since they don't really directly apply to this issue. In this case, we have to use the smaller dimension to make a square out of the 24 x 36mm format, so in this case 24mm refers to the height (assuming the 35mm camera is being held horizontally), i see why you are saying this. Of course, if the 35mm camera is being held vertically, then the 24mm figure would refer to the horizontal. It's all relative.

By the way, the difference between 576 square millimeters versus 2,916 square millimeters of negative area could be a limiting factor, depending on the size of enlargement that is wanted.

Old 07-01-2019   #38
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post

By the way, the difference between 576 square millimeters versus 2,916 square millimeters of negative area could be a limiting factor, depending on the size of enlargement that is wanted.
In film, sure: of course it is. But the whole premise of my thread is a "compact digital SWC" ... and in digital it's the pixel count per unit area of output product that's what's important rather than the magnification of the original to output product.

G

Old 07-02-2019   #39
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Another fabulous structure is the parking garage at San Jose International Airport. The Guadalupe River Trail runs right next to it: I stopped to take this shot on Sunday while out on my bicycle ride.

Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6
ISO 200 @ f/8 @ 1/200

Enjoy!
G

Old 07-03-2019   #40
Godfrey
somewhat colored

A good friend from my work days had lunch with me yesterday. He's another photo head ... I had the CL+V10 with me and he snapped this shot of me.

"... and never mind my big hands, and nose."

Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6
ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/15

This photo points out that when shooting people with an ultra-ultra-wide lens, you really have to be careful about the planes of elements and the subject to camera distance or foreshortening will bite you...!

G